AoS 2 - Seraphon Discussion

Chris Tomlin

17 hours ago, Kamose said:

I like the notion of leylines and astral manipulation powering their magic. From their celestial vantage point, the Slann could be manipulating magical leylines within realms and between realms, perhaps controlling the movement and positioning of the 8 realms themselves in the fight against Chaos.  That could make for a narrative event on the scale of the Necroquake!

Yeah, I like this motif. I think it would fit, since I can't really see Seraphon fight with Stormcasts, side by side like best friends. I imagine them "super partes"...but who know!

Also I was thinking: with the Eightpoints's siege at the horizon...there's space for a big event for Seraphon soon? Maybe in the middle of the war, they'll come from the stars and they'll make Allpoints their new big temple in the Realms? Ok, now I'm dreaming.

• Like 2

Hey all, I'm looking to start a seraphon army, should I buy a bunch of units now or wait until it's updated? I would rather buy larger models that will most likely not get updated (carnosaur, stegadon, heroes) and wait for (hopefully) updated warriors and knights. 

Thoughts on this? 

20 minutes ago, Loptin said:

Hey all, I'm looking to start a seraphon army, should I buy a bunch of units now or wait until it's updated? I would rather buy larger models that will most likely not get updated (carnosaur, stegadon, heroes) and wait for (hopefully) updated warriors and knights. 

Thoughts on this? 

Depends on how you intend to play. If you are intending to primarily play competitively, I would wait for out update (likely in Feb). If you collecting and/or playing for fun, you could buy now and just enjoy your models. It's entirely possible that they release new models and stop production on current models, so there's that "incentive" as well. 

• Like 1

Sometimes I just don't get GW. Is it so hard to give rough estimate of the release like pointy aelves "spring" for our space dinos? Would give more hope of support in the future rather than just "they will get their book eventually"

For what it's worth I heard three different rumours now from different places. 1. They should have been released by now. 2. March. 3. Gw doesn't even themselves know aka not very soon. I have no clue how reliable these sources are but at least better than nothing imho.

13 minutes ago, Blueraven84 said:

Sometimes I just don't get GW. Is it so hard to give rough estimate of the release like pointy aelves "spring" for our space dinos? Would give more hope of support in the future rather than just "they will get their book eventually"

For what it's worth I heard three different rumours now from different places. 1. They should have been released by now. 2. March. 3. Gw doesn't even themselves know aka not very soon. I have no clue how reliable these sources are but at least better than nothing imho.

If I had to guess, I'd say probably 3 is closest to the truth, though there's probably some truth in 1, also.

If Seraphon were coming before Light Aelves, I'd have expected some sort of teaser for them. GW almost never drops a reveal or teaser for a book that isn't the next one out, at least not unless the earlier books are already hinted/announced. We're also largely out of the huge update rush, so monthly Battletome releases are going to go away, like they did for 40k last year.

My personal hunch, based on no sources mind, is that Seraphon were going to get a normal update with endless spells, ect but a decision was made to revamp them more heavily instead, and so they exist in limbo until the rework has a finishing date.

Hello every body. Decided to start my first post here as I am a former lizardmen player back to old days in fb. Playing around 2 years with legions of nagash but recently digged out some of my survived models of serafon( not too many unfortunatly) and since a lot of tournaments around 1250 start to appear in our local meta and since I have Gotrek to fill this naughty gap of 520pts loss I ve come to this roster for small games:

-gotrek(ppl here were good about him in serafon and i totally agree)

-slaan general as a great remember with anti-crowd spell from ghb

-god engine with artifact to heal 1 wound within 6 from ghyran

- skink starpriest

-10 skinks

-5 wardens

Have another 10 skinks and pterodactiles for summon.

After long playing as a death master i ve found suprisingly a lot of fun playing serafon. 2 teleports around the map allows some extremly sneaky plays like immidiate point retakes, sniping heroes with god engine and slaan provides endless screens with skinks while gotrek just strolls down the street and chops nearly everything on the way. 

The hardest of all games was agaings slaanesh with 2 keepers and sill eske, it was a game of tactica rather brutal power as i was jumping aceoss the map and koses trying to catch me avoiding gotrek.unfortunatly i lost both roll off and even without any heavy losses i lost points control and lost. A lot of other games from different events against LoN, khorne, ossiarh bonerippers, clan moulder and Ko with its own gotrek were more sucsessfull.another hard los was against only bonesplitters with ravaging charge of flying boar cavalery across whole map.

Well it was a litle messy but i hope i will provide a better post of my expierence with this army soon

14 hours ago, madmac said:

If I had to guess, I'd say probably 3 is closest to the truth, though there's probably some truth in 1, also.

If Seraphon were coming before Light Aelves, I'd have expected some sort of teaser for them. GW almost never drops a reveal or teaser for a book that isn't the next one out, at least not unless the earlier books are already hinted/announced. We're also largely out of the huge update rush, so monthly Battletome releases are going to go away, like they did for 40k last year.

My personal hunch, based on no sources mind, is that Seraphon were going to get a normal update with endless spells, ect but a decision was made to revamp them more heavily instead, and so they exist in limbo until the rework has a finishing date.

But how long in advance did we know about S2D, KO and Tzeentch? I don't think it's unreasonable that they suddenly tease it at the start of february, faction focus etc. mid february and then pre orders end february. Light Aelves were teased now because it's a completely new thing and people have been asking for "proper" Aelves for ages. 

There are multiple other armies that didn't have all of their finecast/metal models updated to plastic, so I could certainly see a world where Seraphon is suddenly released with a couple of new sculpts, some endless spells and updated rules. 

23 hours ago, madmac said:

Additionally Seraphon received zero changes in the year end FAQ, which signals to me that changes were either expected or are still coming soonish. Also the BloodBowl releases recently have been lining up with some of the new AoS drops. I feel your personal hunch is probably spot on, hopefully it means that some of the terrible FineCast kits are getting binned in favor of plastic...

With the thought of the ‘New Army, New Year”, I decided was time to build, paint and bring the models to the table that were on their sprues and in boxes. Last October, I bought a Lord Kroak, a Slann, a Balewind Vortex and 3 Razordons that I had yet to build. In addition, I received a Slann and Gotrek Gunnison as Christmas presents. I only started playing last fall and have been playing armies largely consisting of 80 skinks. Before last weekend, I had only played a couple of games that we halted when I was completely demoralized.

Last weekend I finally played a Warhammer game to completion and won against Slyvaneth (with lots of help)! We had started a game the previous day, and it was just dismal. My husband, who has been teaching me to play, suggested that he alter my list and that I carefully consider his suggestions during the game. My 2000 pt list included, Lord Kroak, a Slann, Gotrek G, a Bastiladon (those are nice, my husband couldn’t believe that it didn’t have a damage table) and 3 units of 10 skinks each. I also had a Astrolith Bearer, which had brought for the casting advantages, but it turns out that his Seraphon buffs are very helpful, and 3 spells: the Balewind Vortex, Chronomatic Cogs and the Suffocating Gravetide.

I was very lucky in my summoning, as I was able to summon 2 Engine of the Gods and a unit of 10 skinks during the game. The Engines of the Gods helped immensely. For most of the game, I felt like I was losing. Those Kurnoth hunters are vicious. Why doesn’t Seraphon have something like that? We were playing a game of 5 rounds, with Victory points given for holding your own objective (1 VP each) and your opponent’s objective (3 VP each).

My first hero round was good, with Kroak casting both the Balewind Vortex and the Cogs. (We later realized that was against the rules.) My 2nd and 3rd hero rounds were just dismal in casting, with most spells failing to cast (rolls of 2!) or failing to do much if cast. However, I was banking enough conjuration points to bring in an Engine of the Gods in both those rounds. After my first Hero Phase, I wised up and let the Slann control the cogs so I could get extra summoning points. I limited him to at most one spell a round, because I wanted to summon big things. 

In round 3, I lost Gotrek. I also lost the Bastilidon. The fourth round was decent partially because my opponent reminded me that I had totally forgotten about the Suffocating Gravetide. It was cast successfully and killed stuff. By that round, I had lost one objective and my opponent was raking in the victory points. Kroak used spells  to kill some of the Kurnoth hunters holding of my opponent's objectives and reduced the other objective to one model. I had less than 12 summoning points and summoned a unit of skinks that I placed as close as possible to his objective being held by one damaged Branchwraith/wych (I can’t tell them apart) with the idea of charging in and then retreating far enough away so that the BranchW couldn’t slaughter the skinks; but that the Skinks could hold the objective. And then I failed my charge, so my skinks just sat there doing nothing. And things looked grim. My opponent went 2nd in the fourth round and he tried to take my second objective and we both surprised at how strong both Kroak’s and the Astrolith bearer’s attacks were. They beat back the dryads that were trying to take the objective and then my opponent got a double turn going into the 5th round and things seemed even more grim.

But then I got the final turn in that final 5th round. Lord Kroak, who had been sitting immobile on his Balewind Vortex since the beginning of the first round, gave it up (losing a crucial dispel and I didn't know that I only got 1) and LoSaTed himself and the Astrolith as close as possible to 2nd objective. My second EotG was there and he was almost dead, I was hoping to heal him. He was near the objective, but his path to it was blocked by 2 Endless Spells. The objective was being held by the only Kurnoth hunter that hadn’t been killed by Kroak in the previous round. Kroak healed the EofG a little, (my opponent kept healing an almost dead Arch-Revenat to full health over and over in the game until Kroak finally killed him in the 4th round. Why don’t we have any healing like that?) and then Kroak killed the Kurnoth hunter and the objective was mine.

The Slann tried to dispel an endless spell and failed! Then the Slann cast a spell and killed the BranchW sitting on  my former objective and some of the dryads there. Then my EotG that was holding the other objective (and had the extra die since Kroak had helpfully come over) rolled the bolt of azure energy, but nobody was in range to kill. And I was so annoyed that it was that EotG and not the one that was about to go into combat for the last contested objective. Then my second EotG that was parked near the enemy-held objective trying not to die, rolled the free summoning. (He also had a Slann near enough to give him an extra die.) My husband asked, what are your going to summon as I was flipping quickly through war scrolls and then I saw that Terrradons had a 10” range attack. I put my Terradons 9” from the dryads and then later with a couple of lucky rolls, killed all the remaining dryads sitting on the objective. Since during the movement phase, my previously summoned skinks had moved casually over the the first objective and claimed it, I now had all four. And with all 4 objectives,  I earned enough victory points to win. I tell you, summoning in the Terradons with the EotG and then rolling well enough to kill 4 dryads with 5 wounds was just awesome.  And did I mention that I killed everything on the table?

I think I'm going to play this list again, but I'm going to have the Slann summon the Balewind and control the cogs from the beginning. Kroak has more offensive spells than the Slann and I was limited in spell range until I gave up the Balewind, although earlier in the game with enemies everywhere, the extra range from the Balewind came in very handy.

If anyone is interested the complete lists are below:

Opponent: Slyvaneth w/Winterleaf Glade

LEADERS

Arch-Revenant: Command Trait-My Heart is Ice, Artifact: Frozen Kernel

Branchwraith: Throne of Vines Spell

Drycha: Verdurous Harmony Spell

Green Branchwynch: Regrowth Spell

Brown Branchwych: The Dwellers Below Spell

UNITS

30 Dryads

6 Kurnoth Hunters w/Greatswords

5 Tree-Revenants

10 Dryads

3 Kurnoth Hunters w/Greatbows

ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN / COMMAND POINTS

Chronomatic Cogs

Gladewyrm

Quicksilver Swords

Spiteswarm Hive

Vengeful Skullroot

Emerald Lifeswarm

My Army: Seraphon in the Mortal Realm of Ashy

LEADERS

Lord Kroak (430)

- Spell : Meteoric Convocation

Slann Starmaster (260)

- General

- Command Trait : Great Rememberer

- Artefact : Ignax's Scales

- Spell : Stellar Tempest

Saurus Astrolith Bearer (160)

Gotrek Gurnisson (520)

- Allies

UNITS

10 x Skinks (70)

- Boltspitters & Star Bucklers

10 x Skinks (70)

- Boltspitters & Moonstone Clubs

10 x Skinks (70)

- Boltspitters & Star Bucklers

BEHEMOTHS

Bastiladon (280)

- Weapon : Solar Engine

ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN / COMMAND POINTS

Chronomantic Cogs (80)

Balewind Vortex (40)

Suffocating Gravetide (20)

Edited by Angela
font too big
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Angela said:

I think I'm going to play this list again, but I'm going to have the Slann summon the Balewind and control the cogs from the beginning. Kroak has more offensive spells than the Slann and I was limited in spell range until I gave up the Balewind, although earlier in the game with enemies everywhere, the extra range from the Balewind came in very handy. 

Awesome! Great write up. Sounds like it was a fun game! I like the list!

One strategy you can use with that list is boosting Kroak's range with Balewind, Astrolith, and Teleports.

Basically, put your Astrolith right on the front line, cast balewind with Kroak, teleport Kroak (yes you can teleport on the balewind, see Skaven FAQ) forward but stay in range of Astrolith.

Your spells from Kroak should now be +1 or +2 to cast (roll for the +1 to cast from Slann) with an effective threat range of 36" from your front line (teleport to front of 12" Astrolith bubble, 10" spell + 8" boost from Astrolith + 6" boost from balewind).

And then when you are done casting, teleport Kroak back to safety and laugh!

And when running Gotrek...I also ALWAYS take (or switch after turn 1) to Celestial Apotheosis spell for the Slann. It can heal Gotrek!! I've teleported in the Slann close to Gotrek, healed him, and teleported out... to the dismay of my enemy. Haha

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice! 

I had +2 to cast and a huge range bonus from the Balewind and the Astrolith, but 2+2 is still 4! I gambled on the first round and tried to change the celestial configuration and got the one with the casting bonus. +2 to cast really helped. I messed up the initial deployment because I could have put the astrolith behind a screen of skinks and within 12” of both Kroak and the Slann, but instead I put him about 14” away from the Slann and then had to move the Slann in the first round to get the bonus. 

My opponent insisted Kroak could not teleport while on the Balewind. We’ve never read the Skaven FAQ. We live in a small town and nobody plays Skaven here.

I switched to Celestial Apotheosis, but it was too late and Gotrek was killed that round. But it still only heals one wound! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Angela said:

My opponent insisted Kroak could not teleport while on the Balewind. We’ve never read the Skaven FAQ. We live in a small town and nobody plays Skaven here.

The relevant section from Skaven Designers Commentary:

Q: Does a Balewind Vortex with a Skaventide Hero atop it 
travel with the Hero if they use Skitterleap?
A: Yes

It's really the only clarification on balewind shenanigans that we have. We know a teleport isn't a "move", so it doesn't violate the balewind card. And this provides clarity for when a model is removed and setup elsewhere... The balewind goes with the model.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Angela said:

Thanks for the advice! 

I had +2 to cast and a huge range bonus from the Balewind and the Astrolith, but 2+2 is still 4! I gambled on the first round and tried to change the celestial configuration and got the one with the casting bonus. +2 to cast really helped. I messed up the initial deployment because I could have put the astrolith behind a screen of skinks and within 12” of both Kroak and the Slann, but instead I put him about 14” away from the Slann and then had to move the Slann in the first round to get the bonus. 

I switched to Celestial Apotheosis, but it was too late and Gotrek was killed that round. But it still only heals one wound! 

You 100% can teleport Kroak on the vortex. Relevant part of the war scroll: 

As long as the Balewind Vortex remains on the battle eld, the caster and the Balewind Vortex are treated as being a single model

from the caster’s army that uses the caster’s warscroll as well as the endless spells rules.

Using Great Rememberer to teleport Kroak into your enemy, casting all of his spells and then teleporting him back to safety is 👌

Also, have you tried a Thunderquake? The amount of damage the battalion can put out is insane and can surprise punk most heroes. I have gunned down everything from The Black Coach to a Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon in a single round of shooting. Sounds like you have most of the pieces already too!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Wilhelm Stürmer said:

Nice write up! Glad you pulled out the win. 

I'm curious how you managed to summon an EoTG two turns in a row? It's pretty rare to get 18 summoning points in a turn.

Can't you save them from turn to turn?  I didn't cast any spells with my Slann in the first round and with the +1 for the general and the Astrolith bearer, I saved 12 points for the second round. In the 2nd round and every round after, the Slann controlled the Chronomatic Cogs and with the extra spell had the possibility of 13 points per round + the D3 from the Astrolith. In Rounds 2-4, he only cast 2 spells and took the rest as summoning points.  I was saving them because I wanted something big.  I'm very new but from the bang for your points, the EotG seems to be the best buy.

7 minutes ago, Angela said:

Can't you save them from turn to turn?  I didn't cast any spells with my Slann in the first round and with the +1 for the general and the Astrolith bearer, I saved 12 points for the second round. In the 2nd round and every round after, the Slann controlled the Chronomatic Cogs and with the extra spell had the possibility of 13 points per round + the D3 from the Astrolith. In Rounds 2-4, he only cast 2 spells and took the rest as summoning points.  I was saving them because I wanted something big.  I'm very new but from the bang for your points, the EotG seems to be the best buy.

You certainly can save them! That makes sense now. 🙂 It's just rare that I'm generating that many, so I was curious.

Thanks for the Balewind advice everyone! It was hard to convince my husband, but I’ve sold him on the idea! Next weekend we are starting a Path to Glory campaign, so now I have to pick my small warband. We are going to play the malign sorcery version because we both like wizard armies.

• Like 1

So with Tzeentch's update and the new Changehost one drop Flamer lists out there, I think our best counter to that is going to be Dracothion's Tail/Shadowstrike combo. This gives us a one drop as well, and also gives the ability of keeping vital units off the board. Rippers could be used to handle LoC or a unit of Flamers that are baited out.

Spoiler

Allegiance: Seraphon
Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
Slann Starmaster (260)
- General
- Trait: Great Rememberer
- Artefact: Miasmatic Blade
- Spell: Meteoric Convocation
Skink Starpriest (80)
- Artefact: Incandescent Rectrices
- Spell: Celestial Apotheosis
Saurus Scar-Veteran on Cold One (100)
- Artefact: Betrayer's Crown
Saurus Astrolith Bearer (160)
- Artefact: Spellmirror

Battleline
5 x Saurus Knights (80)
- Lances
5 x Saurus Knights (80)
- Lances
5 x Saurus Knights (80)
- Lances

Units
3 x Razordons (120)
5 x Chameleon Skinks (110)
5 x Chameleon Skinks (110)
6 x Ripperdactyl Riders (280)

Battalions
Shadowstrike Starhost (180)
Firelance Starhost (150)
Dracothion's Tail (80)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Balewind Vortex (40)
Chronomantic Cogs (80)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 91

Spoiler

Allegiance: Seraphon
Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
Slann Starmaster (260)
- General
Skink Starpriest (80)

Battleline
10 x Saurus Knights (160)
- Lances
5 x Saurus Knights (80)
- Lances
5 x Saurus Knights (80)
- Lances
10 x Skinks (70)
- Boltspitters & Star Bucklers
10 x Skinks (70)
- Boltspitters & Star Bucklers

Units
3 x Razordons (120)
6 x Ripperdactyl Riders (280)

Battalions
Firelance Starhost (150)
Dracothion's Tail (80)

Balewind Vortex (40)
Chronomantic Cogs (80)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 111

• 2 weeks later...

I am very new to seraphon, and am really struggling against ogres at the minute. The amount of mortal wounds those guys do decimate my units as they are typically quite small. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Heres a typical list i face.

Allegiance: Ogor Mawtribes
- Mawtribe: Bloodgullet
Mortal Realm: Hysh
Slaughtermaster (140)
- General
- Trait: Nice Drop of the Red Stuff!
- Artefact: Splatter-cleaver
- Lore of Gutmagic: Blood Feast
Butcher (140)
- Cleaver
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch
- Lore of Gutmagic: Ribcracker
Tyrant (160)
- Big Name: Fateseeker
12 x Ironguts (660)
12 x Ogor Gluttons (400)
- Clubs or Blades with Iron Fists
3 x Ogor Gluttons (120)
- Clubs or Blades with Iron Fists
2 x Leadbelchers (80)
20 x Gnoblars (100)
Goremand (140)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 158

And the list i ran last time

Leaders
Slann Starmaster (260)
- General
Skink Starpriest (80)

Engine of the gods

Battleline

10 x Skinks

10 x Skinks
5 x Saurus Knights (80)
- Lances
5 x Saurus Knights (80)
- Lances
5 x Saurus Knights (80)
- Lances

Units
3 x Ripperdactyls

Battalions
Firelance Starhost (150)
Dracothion's Tail (80)

Balewind Vortex (40)

7 minutes ago, ReAnimate Studios said:

I am very new to seraphon, and am really struggling against ogres at the minute. The amount of mortal wounds those guys do decimate my units as they are typically quite small. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Yeah, seraphon isn't very good in melee right now. We don't have a unit that can stand toe to toe with ogres.

Your best bet is board control. While Draco's Tail is great at initial board control, spending 400+ points on battalions probably is not the best strategy for seraphon at the moment.

Based on your list, i'd try to get some more Ripperdactyls. They are our best combat unit (although very fragile). In my experience, dropping a unit of 6 Rippers onto an enemy usually results in about 50 saves (no rend).

A pretty easy and cheap ($30) addition to you list could be GOTREK! If you don't mind adding a dwarf to your Lizardman list... he is the best hammer (and anvil) we have access to. And we can heal him and make him fly! Haha

Maybe something like this:

Slann Starmaster (260)
- General
Engine of the Gods (240)
Skink Starpriest (80)
Saurus Scar-Veteran on Cold One (100)

Gotrek Gurnisson (520)
- Allies
10 x Skinks (70)
10 x Skinks (70)
10 x Saurus Knights (160)
6 x Ripperdactyl Riders (280)
Shadowstrike Starhost (180)
Balewind Vortex (40)
Total: 2000 / 2000

Deep strike with Rippers. Summon with Slann and EoTG. Your Knights and Scar Vet can cap an objective. Gotrek heads up the table on full sprint. ;)

I would hold off buying too many new models for the moment though. Seraphon SHOULD be getting an update "soon". So who knows what will be good after that.

33 minutes ago, Calebexnihilo said:

A pretty easy and cheap ($30) addition to you list could be GOTREK! If you don't mind adding a dwarf to your Lizardman list... he is the best hammer (and anvil) we have access to. And we can heal him and make him fly! Haha

How are you making Gotrek fly?