AoS 2 - Seraphon Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Does Gotrek have any place in a seraphon list?

Of all the armies I can see him viable in it would be seraphon- it provides an unbreakable hammer that helps us with a lot of scenarios such as 3 places of power or any scenario where we need a hammer to move a block off an objective. Obviously we are one of the fastest armies and the best at stealing objectives; however,  we struggle with having a hammer so that when 30 daughters or grimghasts take an objective, we don't have a great solution to moving them (outside of rippers with toad rage). Provided we take cogs in the list could gotrek work as a nigh-unkillable hammer that is better than any of our hammer options. I am also thinking about a handful of scenarios he helps with: shifting objectives, 3 places of power. Does he work in the scenarios where we need a hero to score or  a hammer to remove massive threats?

I remember a seraphon list with a celestant prime did very well in LVO last year; so now we have Gotrek as a better Celestent Prime.

Obviously the downsides are apparent: it's 520 points (yikes) and it has a 4 inch move. I am thinking if we take cogs and save a command point - Gotrek can still reasonably get into combat by turn 2. With the downsides is he viable? My first instinct is no; however, I think it may be worth playtesting him in a summoning heavy list and perhaps he could actually be a viable ally option.

Thoughts??

Edited by etlm1987

Hey guys.

I'd like to prepare a double tournament coming soon at 2x1000 points. My friend wants to play Seraphon. I got some SCE, some free guild, lots of aelves, bretonnia etc. I'm wondering what would be the best synergy to have outside of Seraphon, so we could complement each other ?
I know we'll be facing some Khorne, some Nurgle, so I'd like to find a good synergy to root out evil, as the ancient ones would like it to be !

Edited by Maturin

On 6/15/2019 at 6:30 PM, SleeperAgent said:
30 minutes ago, Maturin said:

Hey guys.

I'd like to prepare a double tournament coming soon at 2x1000 points. My friend wants to play Seraphon. I got some SCE, some free guild, lots of aelves, bretonnia etc. I'm wondering what would be the best synergy to have outside of Seraphon, so we could complement each other ?
I know we'll be facing some Khorne, some Nurgle, so I'd like to find a good synergy to root out evil, as the ancient ones would like it to be !

Free Guild - Free guild + Seraphon is a lethal combination- Free guild complements everything you are trying to do- you have a large block that shoots very well and can hold objectives while with skinks and really good summoning at 1k - you can teleport out and really pressure your opponent's objectives- I know a freeguild and Seraphon list went 3-0 at Nova doubles- it was absolutely  brutal. Stormcast is always interesting but I think you get better shooting and more bodies with freeguild

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Maturin said:

Cheers for your input mate. Are those list somewhere on the net ?

Don't see anything posted yet and guessing won't be for a little bit considering the event is less then a week old- but if you have the BCP app I know you can dig up the NOVA AOS Doubles lists

If I recall I think it was a seraphon summoning list with 6 rippers and a steggy using a flame thrower. Teleporting both the steggy and the rippers- skink alpha moving the rippers for a manageable charge. I believe the freeguild was essentially a gunline and general on griffon

9 minutes ago, etlm1987 said:

If I recall I think it was a seraphon summoning list with 6 rippers and a steggy using a flame thrower. Teleporting both the steggy and the rippers- skink alpha moving the rippers for a manageable charge. I believe the freeguild was essentially a gunline and general on griffon

Ok, I'll try to find about that and figure how everything synergize together. Cheers guys! Have you ever faced a SCE Skyborne Slayers?

Edited by Maturin

21 hours ago, Maturin said:

Hey guys.

If you've got a phoenix in your elves and plan to have the slann actually casting spells, you can buff that phoenix save for a great mobile anvil. Plus durable phoenix guard to hold objectives and protect the slann. 

Or if you have some order draconis and they have rippers then you could go with a shadowstrike battalion seraphon list and make a great  alpha strike list. 

1 hour ago, Dr Ben said:

If you've got a phoenix in your elves and plan to have the slann actually casting spells, you can buff that phoenix save for a great mobile anvil. Plus durable phoenix guard to hold objectives and protect the slann. 

Or if you have some order draconis and they have rippers then you could go with a shadowstrike battalion seraphon list and make a great  alpha strike list. 

Hey thanks for the idea, I've never thought about Draconis, and with an archmage ally they're perfect for a thousand points! They're a one trick pony though, once per game and tadaaaaa.

Phoenix Temple is neat if durability is needed. I played against a friends ShadowStrike host today, I barely managed to win, it's very good batallion!

• 2 weeks later...

So I know there has been a lot of theory-crafting but I have played Gotrek in Seraphon and he is the real deal. It may be the best home for him because we do lack a true hammer.

I've gone 5-0 in practice games against

3 keeper slaanesh

4 bloodthirster list

Daughters of Khaine full hagnar

Tzeentch

Gitz

I think what ppl often forget is that since we can summon boatloads of skinks, he himself is a deathstar which allows us to move our slaan around the board to summon and steal objectives in addition to our astrolith bearer

• Like 1

5 hours ago, aktanolt said:

Could you both tell us about the lists he comes with ?

He fits decently well in both of our good battalions.

Shadowstrike: Gotrek, Slann, EoTG, StarPriest, Astrolith, 3x10 Skinks, 6 rippers, purple sun (or cogs... Basically 80 pts left over for spells, an extra priest (to heal Gotrek) or another unit of Skinks)

Thunderquake: Gotrek, Slann, EoTG, 3x10 Skinks, 3 Razordons, 3 skink handlers, Bastiladon, Stegadon

• Like 1