AoS 2 - Seraphon Discussion

Chris Tomlin

4 minutes ago, Oldshrimpeyes said:

I have an 8th edition Lizardmen army I'm considering rebasing on to rounds. Only thing is I cannot be arsed with another summoning heavy army.  Is there a viable way to go with Seraphon that isn't summon spam or is that really their only angle? 

Summoning and teleporting is there meta. You can play Saurus Heavy, but don't expect to be competitive with it. If you aren't summoning with Seraphon, it's like playing Tzeentch and not casting.

So with the points shifting and the guaranteed teleport is it better to save 80 points and build a thunderquake with one engine and two Stegadons(as compared to a traditional one Stegadon one Bastiladon) ? Seems pretty scary to teleport two big beasties and with their alpha move almost guarantee the charge.

Edited by Bryan I Guess

9 hours ago, PJetski said:

I prefer Stegadon + Bastiladon. Rerolling saves on the Bastiladon is really important, and the Stegadon has a lot of utility with the skink alpha d6 move ability.

Totally agreed. Now that eotg is 240 and trog is 140 can we talk about a trog leading tq or is eotg still just better? I’m not sure what role a trog would fill but 100 points is nice

Model update? Years

rules it’s hard to say we just got spell lores in the ghb. That could mean our book is a long way off and this is to hold us over another year or that our book is done and stuck in shipping hell like that the sylvaneth stuff. It’s impossible to say.  

On 6/23/2019 at 3:56 AM, Bryan I Guess said:

So with the points shifting and the guaranteed teleport is it better to save 80 points and build a thunderquake with one engine and two Stegadons(as compared to a traditional one Stegadon one Bastiladon) ? Seems pretty scary to teleport two big beasties and with their alpha move almost guarantee the charge.

I always prefer one bastiladon for 2 reasons, 1) it can tarpit really well/ take out a major melee threat, 2) in a meta with a lot of top armies being chaos demons it’s got the best shooting vs them.

in an “activation wars” meta I think two stegadons is setting yourself up to lose against all the top tier melee armies.

I am also beginning to let my eye wander towards a big squad of Kroxigor and it got me thinking; what is the interaction between Kroxigor bites and a Skink Starpriest's venom staff thingy? If I wound with a 6+ then roll off against you and win do I do the difference in MW times 2?

The staff effect doesn’t combine at all with Jaws like a Steel Trap. The Jaws effect isn’t damage as such (mortal wounds aren’t damage) and if it fails the attack it doesn’t deal any damage at all (so the staff effect doesn’t kick in).

Edited by Platypus
  • Like 1

On 6/17/2019 at 7:06 AM, etlm1987 said:

Do any of you tournament going players play stormcast allies? I am thinking  about picking up a unit of 5 evocaters or 10-15 sequitors to serve as a hammer. It seems evocaters seem like the best bet so far because of their versatility ( extra dispels and guaranteed MW output).

I've also found that (from the 2 games I've playtested) that the skink starpriest has become super important for dealing with hordes. Having the ability to remove 1/3rd of a horde with a spell has been super important against LoN and Skaventide...

I still think Thunderquake has been the way to go... torn on using kroxis over razordons but I think Kroxis in larger units are the way to go?

Cheers

Gday. Which spell are you referring to that lets a Skink Starpriest remove 1/3 of a unit?

Cheers

First attempt at a competitive list with GHB19. I've only ever experimented with TQ and I am excited to really practice with it.

Allegiance: Seraphon
Slann Starmaster (260)
Skink Starpriest (80)
Saurus Astrolith Bearer (160)
Engine of the Gods (240)
10 x Skinks (70)
- Meteoric Javelins & Star Bucklers
10 x Skinks (70)
10 x Skinks (70)
10 x Skinks (70)
6 x Kroxigor (300)
Bastiladon (280)
Stegadon (200)
Thunderquake Starhost (120)
Chronomantic Cogs (80)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 109

Its an 8 drop list so I won't be determining who goes first all the time, but I can screen with layers of skinks and I'm usually happy going second anyway. My favorite maneuver is to drop a line of skinks and then the Kroxigors right on their butts. If my opponent charges the skinks then the Krox will be in combat as well with their two inch swing.

If I could I would fit in a second Starpriest. I think our new spells are quite bonkers especially under an Astrolith. CV7 or 6 (Natural 8; +1 for Astro; +1 for constellation maybe) kill 1/3 of your horde from 32" away.

I'm thinking bringing my army from Shyish to give my EoTG the Ethereal Amulet. That would make two of my big dinos unrendable, healing D3 per turn, and rerolling saves. Then do I just give Rectrices to the Slann?

Thoughts?

Why run the cogs instead of a 2nd Starpriest?

If you're using them to get an extra spell on the Slann you could cut the 4th unit of Skinks for a Balewind Vortex and get basically the same effect.

Kroxigors in Thunderquake seems to be pretty good but it seems like the kind of unit you want to bring in a bigger squad than just 6. If you cut the cogs and Skinks you would have 150pt for more kroxigors.

In my experience it is best to give retrices to the Astolith since they tend to be in enemy focus fire range, while the Slann is comfortably far away (or can snap summon an Eternity Warden)

Edited by PJetski

Has anyone thought of using multiple starpriests for suicidal endless spells? The new points for a purple sun/pendulum  + teleport bomb effectively is 130 for a chance to blow up a full line of enemies, higher if you have arcane terrain or another way to increase the cast

Here is what i think can works well. First turn got potential 3 endless ( since 2 starpriest in short range for sun / pendulum. Also 6 razor + 3 salamanders in range rerolling hits turn one. Also potential Stellar tempest en betrayer crown against hordes.

Allegiance: Seraphon
Mortal Realm: Ulgu
Knight-Incantor (140)
Saurus Astrolith Bearer (160)
- Artefact: Spellmirror 
Skink Starpriest (80)
- Spell: Meteoric Convocation
Skink Starpriest (80)
- Spell: Stellar Tempest
Slann Starmaster (260)
- General
- Trait: Great Rememberer 
- Artefact: Incandescent Rectrices 
- Spell: Stellar Tempest
Saurus Scar-Veteran on Cold One (100)
- Artefact: Betrayer's Crown 
5 x Saurus Knights (80)
- Lances
5 x Saurus Knights (80)
- Lances
10 x Skinks (70)
- Boltspitters & Star Bucklers
5 x Saurus Knights (80)
- Lances
3 x Razordons (120)
3 x Razordons (120)
3 x Salamanders (120)
3 x Skink Handlers (40)
Dracothion's Tail (80)
Firelance Starhost (150)
Everblaze Comet (100)
Aethervoid Pendulum (50)
Balewind Vortex (40)
Purple Sun of Shyish (50)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 103

I was thinking of shadowstrike actually for the bonus move and ability to position the Slann a bit better. My list to start trying for GHB 2019 is going to start as: 

Screenshot_20190627-064053_Drive.jpg.ff48e97c67afc2e9a96d0178c69b3bd9.jpg

The goal is mainly that their wizards will be set up first and I'll be able to use the Slann with balewind to set up a 42" horde killer spell or if they push up it will at least bait dispels with that. The pregame move allows one starpriest to get into endless spell range and the teleports can be used for the other one + the astrolith. Maelstrom and quicksilver swords are in there specifically because I've seen so much Changehost talk with the new book that they may be necessary for extra dispel and sniping the summoner (6" range on swords can feasibly dodge screens)

Hey all,

I'm getting into AOS after a loooong absence and decided to go with Seraphon (first tabletop army I ever collected, starting from scratch though). ATM I have 2 Start Collecting Boxes, a Starpriest, Balewind Vortex, and Kroak + Engine on the way. In the escalation league I've been starting up in, I've really been enjoying the speed of the Firelance Starhost but their damage isn't that great (maybe need to bump to units of 10?).  Here's what I've come up with so far, need to fill in the remaining 480 points:

++ *Pitched Battle* 2,000 (Order - Seraphon) [1,520pts] ++

+ Leader +

Engine of the Gods [240pts]: 1. Master of Star Rituals, General

Lord Kroak [430pts]

Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur [240pts]

Skink Starpriest [80pts]

+ Battalion +

Battalion: Firelance Starhost [490pts]
. Saurus Knights: 5 Saurus Knights, Celestite Lance
. Saurus Scar-Veteran on Cold One

+ Allegiance +

Allegiance
. Allegiance: Seraphon

+ Game Options +

Game Type: 2000 Points - Battlehost

+ Malign Sorcery +

Endless Spell: Balewind Vortex [40pts]

++ Total: [1,520pts] ++

I'm not including the Warriors in here as I assume Kroak will just be summoning them but I guess I could add them as filler? I was also looking to try and fold down to a 1-2 drop with a superbatallion but I'm still trying to get a picture of what's "meta" for seraphon outside of summoning.

42 minutes ago, GDNerd said:

Hey all,

I'm getting into AOS after a loooong absence and decided to go with Seraphon (first tabletop army I ever collected, starting from scratch though). ATM I have 2 Start Collecting Boxes, a Starpriest, Balewind Vortex, and Kroak + Engine on the way. In the escalation league I've been starting up in, I've really been enjoying the speed of the Firelance Starhost but their damage isn't that great (maybe need to bump to units of 10?).  Here's what I've come up with so far, need to fill in the remaining 480 points:

++ *Pitched Battle* 2,000 (Order - Seraphon) [1,520pts] ++

+ Leader +

Engine of the Gods [240pts]: 1. Master of Star Rituals, General

Lord Kroak [430pts]

Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur [240pts]

Skink Starpriest [80pts]

+ Battalion +

Battalion: Firelance Starhost [490pts]
. Saurus Scar-Veteran on Cold One

+ Allegiance +

Allegiance

+ Game Options +

+ Malign Sorcery +

++ Total: [1,520pts] ++

I'm not including the Warriors in here as I assume Kroak will just be summoning them but I guess I could add them as filler? I was also looking to try and fold down to a 1-2 drop with a superbatallion but I'm still trying to get a picture of what's "meta" for seraphon outside of summoning.

Kroak will have to be your general to be able to summon anything.
Knights (at any unit size) don't really put out much damage. They are made to screen, grab objectives, and hold up enemies.
Looks like you have almost what you need for the Draco's Tail battalion (Slann + Firelance). It is a pretty strong battalion. Will give you lots of movement shenanagins along with Great Remember if you run your slann as the general.
Also, magnetize your two carno rider's left hand so you can easily switch between Old Blood (gauntlet) and Scar Vet (shield).

EDIT:
Oh and as far as meta, Kroak is not particularly strong right now (he used to be OP!).

You can still run a variant of the old Kroaknado.
Slann (Great Remember) + Kroak on a Balewind. Teleport Kroak outside 9" of target, blast off his cometx2, maybe an endless spell, a spell from the spell lore... and then teleport him back to safety.

Commando Kroak!

Edited by Calebexnihilo

Noted on the general bit I was unsure of that. Can Kroak be the Slann in a Draco's Tail Battallion? Battlescribe won't let me (and I am waiting on the battlescroll as my flgs doesn't have it in).

As I have two starter kits I'm planning on just magging the whole chair to swap but yeah, it seems important to have the option between offensive and defensive.

1 minute ago, GDNerd said:

Noted on the general bit I was unsure of that. Can Kroak be the Slann in a Draco's Tail Battallion? Battlescribe won't let me (and I am waiting on the battlescroll as my flgs doesn't have it in).

As I have two starter kits I'm planning on just magging the whole chair to swap but yeah, it seems important to have the option between offensive and defensive.

No, Draco's requires a normie slann. But you might could fit in a Slann and Kroak into it! Might be an interesting list.

The teleporting Kroak sounds hilarious, here's my take on it:

++ **Pitched Battle** 2,000 (Order - Seraphon) [2,020pts] ++

+ Battalion +

Battalion: Dracothian's Tail [1,900pts]
. Battalion: Firelance Starhost
. . Saurus Knights: 5 Saurus Knights, Celestite Lance
. . Saurus Scar-Veteran on Cold One
. Engine of the Gods
. Lord Kroak
. Saurus Astrolith Bearer
. Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur
. Slann Starmaster

+ Allegiance +

Allegiance

+ Game Options +

+ Realm of Origin +

Realm of Origin: Origin: Aqshy

+ Malign Sorcery +

Endless Spell: Chronomatic Cogs [80pts]

++ Total: [2,020pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

Edit 2: fixed Kroak being in the batallion and realized I needed an Astrolith Bearer. Unfortunately I'm still 20 points over after cutting my starpriest and bought CP. Any advice on where to find the last 20 points?

Edited by GDNerd
  • Like 3