AoS 2 - Seraphon Discussion

Chris Tomlin

A severe lack of desire to paint means I've had to shelve taking a full 60 guard to Throne of Skulls this weekend.

As a back up list I decided to over charge the sunblood teleport: 

Spoiler

Allegiance: Seraphon
Mortal Realm: Hysh
Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur (260)
Saurus Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur (240)
- General
- War Spear
- Trait: Mighty War Leader
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch
Skink Starseer (200)
Saurus Eternity Warden (140)
Saurus Sunblood (120)
- Artefact: Crystalline Blade
Skink Starpriest (80)
5 x Saurus Guard (90)
5 x Saurus Guard (90)
5 x Saurus Guard (90)
3 x Razordons (120)
Dread Saurian (420)
Eternal Starhost (150)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 87

Whilst leaving ghyran and the sunderblade and ghyrstrike  behind felt a bit naff, this certainly didn't disappoint. 

Outnumbered 5-1 against arkhan and the skelly hordes (Reapers too) I managed to buff the sunblood with 2 x Savagery and +2 from the oldblood in range. 

I forgot to use the scent of weakness on arkhan post teleport, but after going in, managed to take 9 wounds off of him, partly due to finding out the bite also got the D3 wounds/D3 damage treatment according to the wording on the scroll not just the mace. If I'd done that last CA. and remembered it was two extra attacks per six not just one, I likely would've had enough go through to end him. He was promptly taken out afterwards by  vampire lord on zombie dragon.

After that it was a slog and ended a 6-10 loss, but I did manage to fully take out the reapers with the guard block and skellingtons with the saurian, before they were brought back due to lost priority. 

I lost all but the last priority, if i'd won the fourth turns one I would've likely made it a draw or won by a point due to getting the scar vet into a necromancer scoring a side objective, but he blocked that off with the other skellys having won that priority.

Another practice against sylvaneth tonight and then stormcast friday night before the main event. 

Looks like it'll be a fun weekend with a hard fought win or two. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Wilhelm Stürmer said:

@Televiper11 Do you know your opponents army? I assume you'll be using the 2 units of 10x Saurus to screen with and Knights for objectives (if there are any)?

Also, if you're able to use Malign Portent artefacts, Ghyrstrike from Ghyan on the Sunblood is an excellent choice.

I'll be facing two armies over two nights: Wanderers & Gutbusters. We are not using Malign Portent artefacts or Realm rules.

I do intend to use the army as you mentioned: screen with 2x10 SW, Knights to hold objectives, Trog as distraction.

@Wilhelm Stürmer Yes I did use curse of fates on him, whatever I teleport will get that spell unless nothing needs teleporting then i'll use starseer for other purposes. I rolled a 5 or 6 anyways but it definitely sures up the plan. Obviously taking out a key character requires the opponent to not shield them, or to not deny teleporting in behind, but I also believe with all that it could take on a horde easily enough. 

But also if a teleports not looking good I can keep him back and buff up the saurus guard instead for if they have to take a big charge in opponents turn after getting them into position. 

Hopefully I won't come against too much mortal wound output, or I can take that out before it gets going. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Televiper11 said:

While some of our Seraphon models are really old and outdated looking, I'm patient enough to wait for GW to eventually update them.

I'm sure skaven players have the same dream!

Plz GW you expect people to still buy gutter runner metal blister packs?

15 hours ago, Future said:

Not really at all. Skaven have some ultra old but also some ultra new models. We haven't seen a new model in AOS.

Neither has Skaven? Unless you count Spiteclaws Swarm? (and the terrain+endless spells but everyone has been getting those). Or End Times I suppose (and even then thats limited to stormfiends, verminlords, and thanquol/boneripper).

Don't forget for Seraphon/Lizardmen in 7-8th edition theres the stegadon/EOTG, Bastilodon, the Carnosaur/Troglodon, the Teradon/Ripperdactles, Temple Guard, several character models like Gor Rok or Chakax which turned into generic leaders. Some have been leaps over their older counter parts. I mean look at the classic terradon rider!

Spoiler

800px-Terradon_rider.jpg

vs the modern 8th edition plastic kit

Spoiler

99120208021_TerradonRiders01.jpg

It's just that a few core pieces of the seraphon line haven't been updated which is why it seems a lot different, namely slaans, saurus warriors/riders, skinks and chameleons. Back then GW didn't exactly know how to make good looking dinosaurs until 7th edition (like updated cold ones)

Plus it gets really obvious with skaven that a lot of their mini-factions rely on 6th edition models, especially if one uses battlelines that aren't clanrats or stormvermin. It looks a bit silly having those old metal Plague Censer Bearers right next to a Verminlord Corruptor!

Edited by kenshin620

Weird I think a lot of the skaven line looks amazing. Just about everything out of Skyre is gorgeous. I would love if Seraphon weapons had textures on them. Instead of being a plastic stick.

Sums up most of our model lines weaponry  -

image.png.4ff351e78b9c4bff2484df040df87737.png

Even the plague censer bearer has better texturing

image.png.82efb7e4aa437c896d4f809f308cac64.png

Well to be fair textures on a weapon imply imperfections. If you make a spear, you want it to be nice and comfortable to use. Yes some wrappings with leather for better grip may be applied, but a well crafted weapon shouldn't look like a tree branch with a piece of metal on it.

Even artists depictions of mesoamerican weapons show relatively smooth woodwork.

Spoiler

9781841761480_4.jpg

conq5.jpg

warriors-of-the-inca-empire.jpg

warriors-of-the-maya-empire.jpg

Now imagine a society dominated by hyper intelligent space toads completely focused for war.

And now in AoS, they're daemons of Order which makes even more sense .

Half insane skaven probably dont mind a gnarled, barky piece of wood to fling their spiked plague spewing censer!

On the topic of Skryre, sure their old stuff isn't bad but things like ratling guns and warplock jezzails are starting to really feel old (half tempted to grab some CSM havocs at this point with their new fancy minigun)

• Like 1

So Throne of Skulls now over, went 2-3 in the end which i'm really pleased about as it's my first two wins, also last two tournaments i've won at least one game in after a 13 loss streak for tournaments. 

The list performed well, throwing the sunblood into the biggest thing it saw first turn was fun, when it worked haha. It only worked as i'd hoped in the last game where I took a troggboss off in one clean combat phase where i'd remembered to use the re-roll hits on him, and kept the +2 attacks from the oldblood in range. 

Which looking at its warscroll i'm now very glad it did as that might've made it alot tougher for me to win that game in the end. 

3 I lost I really couldn't do much about, Starstrike they landed where I couldn't get to, Relocation orb it went in a bad place where he had 2 heros that counted as 20 each in, then it went where I wanted but then moved back to the centre haha. Places of Arcance Power was against a nasty KO list and I failed a charge and a teleport to take his two scoring units out in one turn so I couldn't just take the furthest one and win while he tried to get over to it as I didn't send anything with an artefact up that way.

So I think i'm going to sub out a razordon and the sunblood for a scar vet cold one and chronomantic cogs,  so I can still re-roll ones for the carnosaur riders and the cold one rider and it's not specifically against one unit. Re-roll ones to charge and get +2 to the charges also. 

Plus I'll take the brooch off of the scar vet and onto the eternity warden because that guy survived much longer in most games. 

And then i'll find a decent artefact for the cold one rider I think as he can get a disgusting amount of attacks with his repeating attack, or possibly just the extra rend artefact we have.

50/50 on whether to take this to the South Coast GT. I've got a One Dayer before then which I might try the amended list at and see. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Wilhelm Stürmer said:

I enjoy kitbashing, and have done a little myself, but those converted Cold Ones simply don't do it for me. I want the kitbash to more closely resemble the model. Still, it would be interesting to see how they look when finished.

Yeah, I hear ya. The official Razordon kit comes with an extra head and tail, so you can get a cold one a bit closer to the same look with that.... But still... Even with two per kit, that's $15 per Razordon. Needlessly expensive model.