AoS 2 - Seraphon Discussion

Chris Tomlin

I think 12 teradons in a SS can do the work pretty well against them and handle the rest. Here is the list i'm workin g on

Allegiance: Seraphon
Mortal Realm: Ghur
Knight-Incantor (140)
Engine of the Gods (220)
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm 
Skink Starpriest (80)
Slann Starmaster (260)
- General
- Trait: Great Rememberer 
- Artefact: Incandescent Rectrices 
10 x Skinks (60)
- Boltspitters & Star Bucklers
10 x Skinks (60)
10 x Skinks (60)
4 x Salamanders (160)
4 x Salamanders (160)
3 x Skink Handlers (40)
12 x Terradon Riders (480)
- Sunleech Bolas
Shadowstrike Starhost (180)
Everblaze Comet (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 119

Working on some choice , like Razors instead of sallies or 2nd eotg instead of Incantor

100% that list is great against them. I was going to bring the same list next month. I love 2 + engines with rippers. Summoning turn 1 rippers before you strike is so good. I’ve done two engine, 6 rippers and incantor.

i think Incantor is better than eotg in terradon list, no toad placement to care about. Auto unbind is so nice. I think more skinks though. Definitely no handlers. Also charm here is kinda iffy, I like wraithbow from shyish on eotg, personally.  Over all I really think the list is solid and should take out a dragon in a single shooting phase after dumping average of 12 mortal wounds!

I agree Rippers are good but they wont kill a gristlegore general, cuz he strikes first. That's why the Teradons. Also, sallies can burst pretty well but they need the handlers really bad ( their only downpoint ) that's why i wonder if razordons can be good.

For the Artifact, yea Charm is a bit ' default pick " and we can update it.

Terradons can't kill grislegore either.

* I'm basing this on the fact that they out drop your list AND get their 5+ MW shrug spell off. This is a big maybe. If they can't shrug mortals and you roll average or better, yes, terradons are great here. I was agreeing with you that terradons are better than rippers but I find Eotg has more synergy with rippers. If you are running terradons I think comet can be a equal OR better choice here. 

That is why it is much better to ignore / speed bump grislegore and take out their minions that can actually score objectives and weaker heros that buff these minions.

Edited by Future
  • Like 1

Hey guys.
My friend is getting back into AoS after a bit of convincing on my end and he's keen on a cavalry heavy list with strong alpha striking potential. We've come up with this with what he has and I would love to hear what you think and things you could improve on. I'm no Seraphon expert, so anything helps 😃

Allegiance: Seraphon
Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Saurus Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur (240)
- Warblade
- Artefact: Thermalrider Cloak
Slann Starmaster (260)
- General
- Trait: Great Rememberer
- Artefact: Incandescent Rectrices
Skink Starpriest (80)
- Artefact: Light of Dracothion
Battleline
10 x Saurus Knights (180)
- Lances
- Lances
- Lances
10 x Skinks (60)
- Meteoric Javelins & Star Bucklers
10 x Skinks (60)
- Meteoric Javelins & Star Bucklers
Units
9 x Terradon Riders (360)
- Sunleech Bolas
Battalions
Shadowstrike Starhost (180)
Firelance Starhost (150)
Endless Spells
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)
Prismatic Palisade (30)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 130

On 3/18/2019 at 1:55 AM, Wilhelm Stürmer said:

@robbobobo I would consider keeping the Knights to 5 models, unless you plan to run them independent of each other, as it's pretty difficult to get 30, or even 20, Knights into combat with an opponent unit. This would also free up points for Dracothian's Tail and Razordons.

What is the rationale behind taking Dracothian's Tail? Is it simply to make the army a one drop or am I missing something?

9 minutes ago, robbobobo said:

What is the rationale behind taking Dracothian's Tail? Is it simply to make the army a one drop or am I missing something?

Makes it a one drop, but also means you can keep half of your army in reserve, and if they're all seperate warscrolls you can teleport your slann 27" away from the enemy and bring half your army up 9" away from them instead. And because it's wholly within 18" of the Slann rather than 12", it is a bit further away and safer. though if you do this maybe having a unit of skinks brought on to screen it will be a good idea still. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Televiper11 said:

Any thoughts on running both EotG & a regular Stegadon?

I'd say go all in and take a thunder quake with one of each stegadon load outs and engine. 

Gives them the healing that they'll need due to no mortal wound save compared to basti's, specially D3 if you keep your slann close by.

Crossbow can try and snipe a hero, and the flame thrower can reduce a horde. All three going into one unit should take down something too with the horn attacks, and the crushing stomps might accomplish something. 

Still something I want to do , just got to get the  third stegadon. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wilhelm Stürmer said:

@SolomonHelsing Great explanation! The definition of distances was not something I had considered. I have yet to use Draco's Tail, so my knowledge is all theoretical.

Yeah so is mine, I just had noticed the 18" and realised it's a stronger way of doing my dread teleport and it not being on its own so the enemy will have to decide who to attack rather than just the saurian. 

I've just got to get my damn saurus knights painted and I can properly try it. Also have a scar vet carnosaur now so I can try one or the other leader. 

3 minutes ago, SolomonHelsing said:

I'd say go all in and take a thunder quake with one of each stegadon load outs and engine. 

Gives them the healing that they'll need due to no mortal wound save compared to basti's, specially D3 if you keep your slann close by.

Crossbow can try and snipe a hero, and the flame thrower can reduce a horde. All three going into one unit should take down something too with the horn attacks, and the crushing stomps might accomplish something. 

Still something I want to do , just got to get the  third stegadon. 

Something to keep in mind: Thunderquake is not an optimal Battalion against Skaventide. Their Endless Spell, Warp Lightning Vortex, is antithesis to group movement as it does damage and slows within its area of influence. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wilhelm Stürmer said:

Something to keep in mind: Thunderquake is not an optimal Battalion against Skaventide. Their Endless Spell, Warp Lightning Vortex, is antithesis to group movement as it does damage and slows within its area of influence. 

Yup certainly, luckily first experience of that spell was two bastiladons getting caught in it, so I did survive it, my engine, not so much...  

Certainly he has several variations. He has won 4 events or so at this point and is a terrific person for the hobby and player.

Some lists are 6 rippers, others are 9 depending on the objectives for this GT he ran a EOTG only because one scenario was 3 places of arcane power but normally he runs 16 razordons and no EOTG.

Slann
EOTG
Skink star priest
20 skinks
20 skinks
10 skinks
10 skinks
4 razordons
4 razordons
4 razordons
9 ripperdactyls
Shadowstrike starhost 

Can go first or second doesn't matter. Use the 2d6 movement to bubble wrap the entire board and play for board control.

1 hour ago, Future said:

Certainly he has several variations. He has won 4 events or so at this point and is a terrific person for the hobby and player.

Some lists are 6 rippers, others are 9 depending on the objectives for this GT he ran a EOTG only because one scenario was 3 places of arcane power but normally he runs 16 razordons and no EOTG.

Slann
EOTG
Skink star priest
20 skinks
20 skinks
10 skinks
10 skinks
4 razordons
4 razordons
4 razordons
9 ripperdactyls
Shadowstrike starhost 

Can go first or second doesn't matter. Use the 2d6 movement to bubble wrap the entire board and play for board control.

That list is 2160 pts?! I'm guessing it was adjusted to stay in 2K, or was this a different point value tournament?

I could use some battalion advice. I have the models needed to build both Firelance Starhost & Sunclaw  Starhost. Can I run these two in a 2K list without expanding them into either Fangs Of Sotek or Dracothian's Tail? Or are those two necessary to get the proper buffs I need?

No you can make a list with just the firelance and sunclaws, You still get the buffs from those starhosts themselves. It's just the lowest drops you could get to is 2 with both of those heavy on the amount of troops in each unit for them, obviously you don't get the fangs or dracothians buffs with just those two. 

1 hour ago, SolomonHelsing said:

No you can make a list with just the firelance and sunclaws, You still get the buffs from those starhosts themselves. It's just the lowest drops you could get to is 2 with both of those heavy on the amount of troops in each unit for them, obviously you don't get the fangs or dracothians buffs with just those two. 

Thanks! Here is the list I came up with:

Slann Starmaster (260)
- General
- Trait: Great Rememberer 
- Artefact: Incandescent Rectrices 
Saurus Astrolith Bearer (160)
- Artefact: Light of Dracothion 
Saurus Sunblood (120)
- Artefact: Coronal Shield 
Saurus Scar-Veteran on Cold One (100)
40 x Saurus Warriors (360)
- Spears
10 x Saurus Warriors (100)
- Clubs
10 x Saurus Warriors (100)
- Clubs
5 x Saurus Knights (90)
- Lances
5 x Saurus Knights (90)
- Lances
5 x Saurus Knights (90)
- Lances
Troglodon (160)
Firelance Starhost (150)
Sunclaw Starhost (130)
Prismatic Palisade (30)
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 129

Thoughts? It is for a casual, open play event...