AoS 2 - Seraphon Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Posting a new list idea in a few minutes but first one more question. I haven't looked at lord kroak since the nerf bat hit him. Last I was aware he can now cast Celestial Deliverance 3 times again. It says 3 different units but I am guessing that is per cast. In a perfect world where Celestial Deliverance happens 3 times can I do 3d3 mortal wounds to the same unit?

6 minutes ago, Future said:

Posting a new list idea in a few minutes but first one more question. I haven't looked at lord kroak since the nerf bat hit him. Last I was aware he can now cast Celestial Deliverance 3 times again. It says 3 different units but I am guessing that is per cast. In a perfect world where Celestial Deliverance happens 3 times can I do 3d3 mortal wounds to the same unit?

Yes, you resolve each spell on its own. If a unit is in range for each cast it would be effected each time.

• Like 1

I know we aren't the most fighty army but I wanted to do a deep strike list where the Slann would be in combat most likely. I want to build a Dracothion's Tail list with the objective of going first on a one drop. Using the first turn to LoSaT my Slann onto a forward objective ideally OR the back line if such a target presents itself.

From here I would call down my forces and charge. I would run the astrolith bearer, and cold one hero, and use a slann spell to attempt to keep the constellation on 1-2 (or whatever charge is if I have it backwards).

The lists 'core' is about 1200 points and consists of:
Leaders:
Slann 260
Saurus Eternity Warden 140
Saurus Astrolith Bearer 160
Engine of the Gods 220
Saurus Scar-Veteran on Cold One

Battlelines:
Saurus Knight x5 90
Saurus Knight x5 90
Saurus Knight x5 90

WarScroll Battalions
Firelance Starhost
Dracothions Tail

So from here we have options but lets talk about the core. 
Eternity Warden - My Slann is going in head first and needs those 7 extra wounds. Fly and + 1 save to shooting is now actually an amazing command ability*. 
Astrolith Bearer - Rerolling hits is really strong in an alpha strike setting.
Engine of the Gods - mortal wounds, strong attack profile, healing, summoning -- all desired attributes in my opinion (maybe I am wrong on this one)
Saurus Scar-Veteran on Cold One - Bonuses to charge and rerolling is great in this case and because he is part of the tax.

So from this required 'core' where can we go? 
Well I will need to deep strike 6 units which requires putting 6 units on the board first. So I will need some skinks. 
Ripperdactyls are always amazing so that should be a thing. 
In my Saurus Knight pod I want 10 knights because they have so many damn bonuses here -- fire lance +charge, + mortal wounds on a 6, Scar-Veteran gives +charge, + extra bites and they can create a chaff wall to tie up any would be counter charge, shoring up my Slanns command position. 
This is where things get ....weird. Do I take Lord Kroak? This gives me the ability to unbind 7 spells a turn and I already have an Astrolith Bearer with +1 casting. More command points seems good, I don't want to fail any of these 5-9 inch charges depending on the buffs and the units. I am in perfect 'kroak bomb range' and he is a massive threat. Alternatively do I bring another EotG? Shadow Strike battalion? I really struggled with these last 400 ish point and have no idea what to do with them.

List with Kroak:

Leaders:
Slann 260
Lord Kroak 450
Engine of the Gods 220
Saurus Scar-Veteran on Cold One 100

Battlelines:
Saurus Knight x5 90
Saurus Knight x5 90
Saurus Knight x5 90

Skinks x 10 60
Skinks x 10 60

Other units:
Ripperdactyl Riders x3 140

WarScroll Battalions
Firelance Starhost
Dracothions Tail

Total points: 1950
Kroak is a big deal, in points. So here we only deepstrike 5 coldones instead of 10 and run 3 ripperdactyls. We also leave EoTG deployed on the field. If we get lucky enough to get our Slann in position with 1 LoSaT move we can attempt to bring in the EoTG with the second attempt.With Kroak on the board I leave the Saurus Eternity Warden at home with plans to summon him in turn 2. 
For this list my deepstrike is:
Lord Kroak
Saurus Astrolith Bearer
Saurus Knight x5
Ripperdactyls x 3

Alpha Strike:

Leaders:
Slann 260
Saurus Eternity Warden 140
Engine of the Gods 220
Saurus Scar-Veteran on Cold One 100

Battlelines:
Saurus Knight x10 180
Saurus Knight x5 90
Saurus Knight x5 90

Skinks x 20 120
Skinks x 10 60
Skinks x 10 60

Other units:
Ripperdactyl Riders x6 280

WarScroll Battalions
Firelance Starhost
Dracothions Tail

Total points: 1990

For this list my deepstrike is:
Engine of the Gods
Saurus Eternity Warden 
Saurus Astrolith Bearer
Saurus Knight x10
Ripperdactyls x 6

Without Kroak I take Saurus Eternity Warden, can deep strike 10 knights and 6 Ripperdactyls, and can include EoTG in my deep strike team thanks to the extra 10 block of skinks.

Any thoughts on how to improve this list?

Remember regardless of how we deviate the goal is to deep strike turn 1 with the intent of controlling any hard to reach objectives. The Slann has massive reach to do this. We can teleport in front of the objectives and summon 10 skinks onto the objective behind us. We can teleport onto the objective and call down our units upto 18 inches in front of us. 

So the three part goal is:
a) Control our home objectives with skinks and knights. 
b) Control our opponents objectives with Slann or their summons
c) Deep strike the opponent to keep them from executing their first turn plan, guaranteeing us board control into turn 2.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, fued said:

Does curse of fates stack with Lord's of time and space? Both affect a single unit so it seems it would?

Yes, so if you cast curse of fates on a unit, then for that hero phase you can use the dice modifier on the teleport roll, effectively giving you 1's fail, 2-3 Teleport no move and 4/5/6's Teleport and Move. 

Currently trying to work out between taking a starseer so I can also have two teleports from the slann, or just have the one teleport and buff the unit it's for more so if at all possible, so the loss of the other isn't so bad. 

How do people feel about allies? I am looking at an upcoming event and thinking about running thunderquake with Stormcast. Either 2 Celestar Ballista or a Knight Incantor + everblaze comet. Really I am not trying to make this list excellent. I am just very familiar with running a vanilla thunderquake list and want to see how much impact allies bring to the table.

Really though I think one of our biggest issues is packing a punch and I want to look at 400 points of allies to solve that. I think a 10 block of evocators could work here. I've never run evocators in a list but I've definitely played against them.

I was thinking about doing something with shadowstrike starhost. I think this is currently our strongest option as it plays into our mobility while utilizing our best DPS options such as razordons and ripperdactyls. 

Leaders:
Engine of the Gods

Skink Starpriest
Slann Starmaster

Battlelines:
Skinks x 10
Skinks x 10
Skinks x 20

Artillery:
Razordons x 4
Razordons x 4

Other Units:
Ripperdactyl Riders x6
Evocators x 10

Battalions

Shadowstrike Starhost

1980 points

Edited by Future

On 2/5/2019 at 4:04 PM, Future said:

How do people feel about allies? I am looking at an upcoming event and thinking about running thunderquake with Stormcast. Either 2 Celestar Ballista or a Knight Incantor + everblaze comet. Really I am not trying to make this list excellent. I am just very familiar with running a vanilla thunderquake list and want to see how much impact allies bring to the table.

Really though I think one of our biggest issues is packing a punch and I want to look at 400 points of allies to solve that. I think a 10 block of evocators could work here. I've never run evocators in a list but I've definitely played against them.

I was thinking about doing something with shadowstrike starhost. I think this is currently our strongest option as it plays into our mobility while utilizing our best DPS options such as razordons and ripperdactyls. 

Leaders:
Engine of the Gods

Skink Starpriest
Slann Starmaster

Battlelines:
Skinks x 10
Skinks x 10
Skinks x 20

Artillery:
Razordons x 4
Razordons x 4

Other Units:
Ripperdactyl Riders x6
Evocators x 10

Battalions

Shadowstrike Starhost

1980 points

With 8 Razordons I would highly suggest an Astrolith Bearer. 2D6 attacks per beasty with rerolls to hit. Seems pretty dope to me.

I am planning for 1500pt battle vs a Wanderers army and would appreciate advice. The Battleplan will be Battle for the Pass.  From 750 - 1250, I've been using Shadowstrike Starhost. I've definitely improved with it, I believe. It's a glass cannon in every sense, but it's ability is phenomenal. In 1500, I could bring the following:

Allegiance: Seraphon
Mortal Realm: Ghur
Slann Starmaster (260)
- General
- Trait: Great Rememberer
- Artefact: Incandescent Rectrices
Skink Starpriest (80)
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm
Skink Priest (80)
- Priestly Trappings
20 x Skinks (120)
- Boltspitters & Star Bucklers
10 x Skinks (60)
- Meteoric Javelins & Star Bucklers
20 x Skinks (120)
10 x Skinks (60)
3 x Ripperdactyl Riders (140)
Shadowstrike Starhost (180)
Balewind Vortex (40)
Aethervoid Pendulum (40)

Total: 1500 / 1500
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 93

This could inflict heavy damage on his units, making it near impossible to keep control of the middle objectives in the battleplan. However, if I roll poorly, I'd be sunk pretty quickly. Seems a risky list, but it's deadly. That being said, I could use any and all advice on this upcoming battle. Here is my current list of available, constructed models:

Slann Starmaster
Astrolith Bearer
2x Skink Starpriests
Skink Priest proxy (Oracle from Troglodon)
Troglodon
Carnosuar w/ Oldblood or Scar-Veteran rider
Sunblood
Scar-Veteran on Cold One
Bastilidon with Solar Engine or Ark
6x Ripperdactyls
70x Skinks
5x Knights
10x Warriors

I also have a GW voucher for $55 I was going to apply towards 2x Razordons, so I could have those before the next Battle. Any input would REALLY be appreciated.
Edited by Wilhelm Stürmer

@Bryan I Guess I feel like banner doesn't work in that list. The point of the list is really to go for quick board control and score objectives early. The razordons are really there to split up and sit about 12 off the objectives to put the opponent into a hard choice of eliminating them or taking the point. I think if I made room for a banner I would take a third set of four razordons instead. That being said I really really didn't like the evos in the list. I've been really enjoying the 3x eotg lists a lot and I think my next game will look something like this.

Leaders:
Engine of the Gods x 3

Skink Starpriest
Slann Starmaster

Battlelines:
Skinks x 10
Skinks x 10
Skinks x 10

Artillery:
Razordons x 4
Celestar Ballista

Celestar Ballista

Other Units:
Ripperdactyl Riders x6

Battalions

Shadowstrike Starhost

2000 points

On 2/8/2019 at 10:22 PM, Wilhelm Stürmer said:
I am planning for 1500pt battle vs a Wanderers army and would appreciate advice. The Battleplan will be Battle for the Pass.  From 750 - 1250, I've been using Shadowstrike Starhost. I've definitely improved with it, I believe. It's a glass cannon in every sense, but it's ability is phenomenal. In 1500, I could bring the following:

Slann Starmaster (260)
- General
- Trait: Great Rememberer
- Artefact: Incandescent Rectrices
Skink Starpriest (80)
Skink Priest (80)
- Priestly Trappings
20 x Skinks (120)
10 x Skinks (60)
20 x Skinks (120)
10 x Skinks (60)
Balewind Vortex (40)
Aethervoid Pendulum (40)

Total: 1500 / 1500
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 93

This could inflict heavy damage on his units, making it near impossible to keep control of the middle objectives in the battleplan. However, if I roll poorly, I'd be sunk pretty quickly. Seems a risky list, but it's deadly. That being said, I could use any and all advice on this upcoming battle. Here is my current list of available, constructed models:

Slann Starmaster
Astrolith Bearer
2x Skink Starpriests
Skink Priest proxy (Oracle from Troglodon)
Troglodon
Carnosuar w/ Oldblood or Scar-Veteran rider
Sunblood
Scar-Veteran on Cold One
Bastilidon with Solar Engine or Ark
6x Ripperdactyls
70x Skinks
5x Knights
10x Warriors

I also have a GW voucher for $55 I was going to apply towards 2x Razordons, so I could have those before the next Battle. Any input would REALLY be appreciated.

I do really like the idea of two Shadowstrike hosts. Especially at this point level. I do want to make sure you know you can't have 2 Gryph Feather Charms in your list.

You dont have much in the way of real heavy hitters so my suggestion is to switch the two endless spells for just the cogs and 20 points of triumph bid. That way turn one get your starpriest to  cast the cogs and turn one your slann can poop out a troglodon. I think this gives you multiple things; your skinks basically cover your board edge plus the 2d6 movement, your rippers can alpha strike something, and now theres a big beasty that's gonna start making your opponent question charging the skink line.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2019 at 12:06 AM, Future said:

@Bryan I Guess I feel like banner doesn't work in that list. The point of the list is really to go for quick board control and score objectives early. The razordons are really there to split up and sit about 12 off the objectives to put the opponent into a hard choice of eliminating them or taking the point. I think if I made room for a banner I would take a third set of four razordons instead. That being said I really really didn't like the evos in the list. I've been really enjoying the 3x eotg lists a lot and I think my next game will look something like this.

Leaders:
Engine of the Gods x 3

Skink Starpriest
Slann Starmaster

Battlelines:
Skinks x 10
Skinks x 10
Skinks x 10

Artillery:
Razordons x 4
Celestar Ballista

Celestar Ballista

Other Units:
Ripperdactyl Riders x6

Battalions

Shadowstrike Starhost

2000 points

I am new to seraphon so take what I say with a grain of salt. What does 2 ballistas give you that 4 more razordons and a triumph bid don't besides the long range shooting?

Also with so many engines is it worth it to not use great rememberer and instead give your slann curse of fates so that whichever you "curse" you're rolling 4 dice picking three and then increasing or decreasing that number by 1? Seems pretty good to almost choose which option you want.

1 minute ago, Bryan I Guess said:

I am new to seraphon so take what I say with a grain of salt. What does 2 ballistas give you that 4 more razordons and a triumph bid don't besides the long range shooting?

Also with so many engines is it worth it to not use great rememberer and instead give your slann curse of fates so that whichever you "curse" you're rolling 4 dice picking three and then increasing or decreasing that number by 1? Seems pretty good to almost choose which option you want.

Curse of fates sounds like a great idea. I am absolutely going to try that out. I am just playing around with ballistas as they are really strong. I am not sure yet if they are better than more razordons or not. I've just been into trying to fit allies into my lists to see how it plays out. So far knight incantor + everblaze comet has been the most fun. Another benefit to curse of fates is 2x summon star light, which is never a bad spell!

Another option might be to drop the ballista for more skinks and geminids so the battle line would be 20, 10, 10. However back to the point of curse of fates you could bring a lot of skinks on if you didn't have targets that needed mortal wounds.

5 hours ago, Wilhelm Stürmer said:

@Bryan I Guess I appreciate the input. The 2nd Gryph-feather Charm was more of a placeholder, as I wasn't sure what other Artefact to use from Ghur. I wasn't sure if you could duplicate Artefact's, but I assumed you couldn't. I'm not familiar with triumph; how does that work?

If you have less points in your list than your opponent you get to roll on the triumph table in the rule book. On a D3 you get a one use ability for any unit in your army to 1) reroll hits 2) reroll wounds or 3) reroll saves. Its something that is supposed to balance out armies that sort of inevitably end up with 30 extra points that they cant spend on anything (and they dont want to spend for an endless spell)

Also I derped, a Troglodon is 18 celestial points not 12 as that would be broken 🤣 but I still hold that you should bring the cogs to make sure youre getting 13 points a turn, or 9 and casting the slann spell.

Hi all, I've had a Seraphon army that my friend has been borrowing for a while now but have relatively no experience actually using it. He recently stopped playing so I now have access to my army again! My current plan for the army is a shadowstrike list (below). Any feedback? 

Leaders:

Slann Starmaster (Great Rememberer, Gryph Feather Charm, General)(260)

Skink Starpriest (80, Battalion)

Engine of the Gods (Prism)(220) (magnetized could be a stegadon instead?)

Skink Priest (80)

Knight Incantor (140 (with a skink head from the terradons, I actually really like this guy) 

40x Skinks (Spears, battalion)(240)

2x10 Skinks (Boltspitters, 1 in the battalion) (60 each)

Bastiladon(280)

6x Ripperdactyls (280, Battalion)

Everblaze Comet (100)

Shadowstrike Starhost( 180)

1980/2000

Skink_incantor_front.jpg

• LOVE IT! 1

I'm gonna have to do this with the female Knight Incantor from the evocator box. I personally think the more slender female body would match the skink a little better. This however is awesome with only a $9 model haha. I would even rock this as a starseer.

As far as the list goes I feel like if you found room for an astrolith bearer you can turn your big blob of skinks from a blob into a scary wound machine. (3+ RR, 4+ to wound rerolling 1s if the starpriest can see, with 40 shots is super scary)

Edited by Bryan I Guess

My turn to post my first ever attempt at a 2k Seraphon list.

Leaders
Slann Starmaster (260)
- General
- Trait: Great Rememberer 
- Artefact: Incandescent Rectrices 
Skink Starpriest (80)
Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur (260)
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm 

Battleline
20 x Skinks (120)
- Meteoric Javelins & Star Bucklers
10 x Skinks (60)
- Boltspitters & Star Bucklers
10 x Skinks (60)

Units
6 x Ripperdactyl Riders (280)

Behemoths
Dread Saurian (420)
Bastiladon (280)

Battalions
Shadowstrike Starhost (180)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 105

So first and foremost, yes I know there is a Dread Saurian in my first ever Seraphon list. I am just borrowing from a friend so that I only need to build about 1500 points for a tournament next Saturday instead of 2k. 

Ok so strategy.  Skinks are going to screen my big dinos against alpha strikes.  Bastiladon is going to be my "Attack the Slann" deterrent on top of  the Skink screen. Ripperdactyls want to come in on something the Starpriest can point at turn one and just eat it. Preferably a big hero or monster. Starpriest's job is to make the Saurian harder to hit, and stay as close as he can to my T-Rexes to add the fun venom bites. Slann gets to summon things. Turn 2 Troglodon, turn 3 20 skinks, if he survives after that we will see.

With shadow strike I find the strength of the list to be mobility and board control. Which usually equates to 4x4 razordons and isnt a cheap option.

I think the best shadow strike list I've seen outside 4x4 razordons is the LVO list that runs shadow strike + 3x EOTG. If it was my list I would take a page out of the U.K. masters list and run the 3x engine of the god with extra mortal wound artifacts from Shyish.

@Sugar Maple Give the 40 skinks a try but 2 points. 8 inch reach on the attacks is actually quite difficult in a 40 blob if you plan to get all your ranged attack in and being wholly within an astrolith is also difficult. Also battleshock is going to be really tough on 40 skinks.

Let me know how everblaze goes, I've just started messing with allies and tried everblaze in a different list and didn't like it. I can see it being really good in shadowstrike since it needs a source of mortal wounds.

@Bryan I Guess I hate our bastilidons outside thunderquake. In thunderquake they are amazing in my opinion. Go ahead and give it a try but I was using 1 in shadow strike last tournament I went to and it never ceased to disappoint. The attacks are spikey, without rerolls you won't deal much damage. Its tanky but so are skink roadblocks when placed well. I personally would rather take 2x celestar balista as its just better. Also very spikey damage but more wounds, more rend, better attack profile and 80 points cheaper :) I would use those extra 80 points to get cogs for carno + dread saurian crucial charge rounds. In other turns you can leave it set to give bonus summoning points, not bad!

I should mention for the Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur take a rend artifact like the 3 rend one. That way you can stack attacks and just hit like a truck. I never see this done in lists but personally find it to be amazing. Say turn 3, 3 CP spent - 9 3/3/ -3 attacks dealing D3 damage. I think this is better than Gryph-feather Charm  but that is 100% personal choice. With our teleport its just so strong. Don't forget to use the Skink Starpriesto buff the jaws on that dread saurian! Another great and dangerous attack

• Like 2

When do we activate the Oldblood on Carnosaur's command ability? Hero phase? Combat phase?

I played a game against LoN.  I didn't have the Saurian in the list so I supplemented with 400 points of Stormcast (15 liberators and a Lord Castellant to just stomp themselves forward), and I had no extra summoning fodder so I dropped the slann for a Troglodon and 2 extra CP. He had Nagash, 8 Morghasts, 3X10 zombies, and a Necromancer.Battle for the Pass was the mission

Turn one I shuffle my skinks forward to grab the side objectives, completely forget about LoSaT (it's my first game of Seraphon give me a break),  shuffle everything else up to be able to counter the Morghast lunge obviously coming, and drop my rippers next to Nagash and 4 Morghasts. Shooting does maybe two wounds in total. The only thing I have to charge are 6 ripperdactyls 3" away from my enemy. . .  And they fail.

His turn one he casts every spell known to man (or death God in this instance) and I manage to stop him from debuffing my Carnosaur. Then during movement he looks at Nagash, looks at one of his two squads of Morghasts, and sends them AWAY FROM THE RIPPERS!!! Um ok. . . So he charges them forward and annihilated two squads of skinks claiming the mid objectives with his Morghasts.

EoT1 5 to 5

I win the roll off (thank goodness cause double turns suck!) I now have 5 CP and I use 4 on my Carnosaur (question: can I only choose the Oldbloods spear to get the plus 2 or can I choose the jaws). Nothing incredible happens in mvmnt and shooting, but I was able to Summon Starlight on the Carnosaur and point the snake venom at him. I charge trog and bastiladon into Morghasts and Carnosaur into Nagash for 1v1 monster fight.

I started with the Troglodon because I had faith in the -2 to hit Carnosaur. One Morghast dead. Nagash swings into Oldblood and whiffs every attack thanks to the -2. Carnosaur got 2 6s on his bites which Nagash failed, and the 11 spear attacks finished him off in one round of combat. I think I really like the Gryph Feather Charm.

Oh and my rippers just destroyed his back line. He conceded after his Morghasts failed to kill the Troglodon.

Take aways: Carnosaur will die really quickly unless he is hard to hit. I think I'll stick with the Gryph Feather. Bastiladon is definitely spikey damage wise. I am going to switch him for an EotG and cogs. I originally had him in the list because it was all I had model wise, but I should have an engine by then. Letting skinks die feels bad when you don't have a Slann to bring them back. Playing seraphon is fun!

News from Las Vegas Open

"The new edition of Age of Sigmar brought a lot of new tricks to the game, and soon, more armies than ever will be able to take full advantage of them – 2019 will see new battletomes for every Grand Alliance! Some brand-new armies will be joining the fray, as well as classic armies updated for the new edition."

Edited by Wilhelm Stürmer
  • Thanks 1

Is 3 big dinos too much?

Running this list Saturday

Slann Starmaster (260)
- General
- Trait: Great Rememberer 
Skink Starpriest (80)
Saurus Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur(240)
- War Spear
Saurus Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur(240)
- Greatblade
20 x Skinks (120)
10 x Skinks (60)
10 x Skinks (60)
6 x Ripperdactyl Riders (280)
Dread Saurian (420)
Shadowstrike Starhost (180)
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 109
If I get cogs turn one I get an oldblood on carnosaur turn two. If not I get a troglodon for four big dinosaurs ripping and roaring and tearing it up. From that point I want my Slann to just summon units of dudes to take objectives.

Thoughts? Ideas? Artifact suggestions?

• Like 1