AoS 2 - Wanderers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Yes BLs site but I often just buy them through iTunes or iBooks on my phone.  

Guy Haley just admitted here Interview that there are 3 more parts to the Wanderer Nomad Prince planned/in the works, in addition to the digital short story and audio drama.  He touches on the character.  The love story revolving the outcast or wandering aelf.  

• Like 2

Hello all. Just started playing AoS and Wanderers as my first army. I've had some mixed success in 500 and 1000 point game against SCE mostly. Here is my current 1050 list.

• 1 Nomad Prince (general, Starcaster Longbow)
  • 1 Spellweaver (staff)
  • 1 Wayfinder
  • 2x20 Glade Gaurd
  • 1x10 Eternal Guard
  • 1x5 Sisters of the Thorn

Sorry for double post. I meant to ask for suggestions for next 500/1000 point. Tested SotW recently and really like what they can do as well as a 1x30 GG unit in combo with Realm Wanderers was pretty nasty. Also seems like I should have gotten something other than the Wayfinder, he does seem lackluster in most games where I don't roll a decent 3D6.

27 minutes ago, sean2436 said:

Sorry for double post. I meant to ask for suggestions for next 500/1000 point. Tested SotW recently and really like what they can do as well as a 1x30 GG unit in combo with Realm Wanderers was pretty nasty. Also seems like I should have gotten something other than the Wayfinder, he does seem lackluster in most games where I don't roll a decent 3D6.

Waywatchers are much better and still worth their points despite the 20 pt increase.  I take 3 in the battalion and it's fairly easy to kitbash a couple for variety.  With the change only allowing one unit to use realm wanderers each turn, they are perfect for this as they don't lose their +1 to hit in the shooting phase and can fit in most places being a single model and are hard for your opponent to screen them out when they first arrive on the board.  Make one your General (SotW become battleline) with Masterful Hunter and you'll be hitting on 2s, even heroes with the -1 "look out sir", and  generating extra hits on a 4+ each time - well on a 5+ against LOS which is standard anyway.  

Let's just say I like them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone know if there are any straight up generic order battleline in the wood elves compendium anymore?  I think i recall glade riders being battleline.  IF i was looking for a generic order battleline unit for a mixed wanderers army with hurricanum (now that eternal guard are not generic battleline) would glade riders be effective? Perhaps there is a better battleline in order that combos better with hurricanum?

Edited by Cambot1231

53 minutes ago, Cambot1231 said:

Does anyone know if there are any straight up generic order battleline in the wood elves compendium anymore?  I think i recall glade riders being battleline.  IF i was looking for a generic order battleline unit for a mixed wanderers army with hurricanum (now that eternal guard are not generic battleline) would glade riders be effective? Perhaps there is a better battleline in order that combos better with hurricanum?

Arkanaut company combo very well with the Hurricanum if you just need generic battleline.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Popisdead said:

Yes BLs site but I often just buy them through iTunes or iBooks on my phone.  

Guy Haley just admitted here Interview that there are 3 more parts to the Wanderer Nomad Prince planned/in the works, in addition to the digital short story and audio drama.  He touches on the character.  The love story revolving the outcast or wandering aelf.  

Starts at 25:30 if you guys are interested

• Thanks 2

Hey all

I have decided to take up the underdog mantle and start a Wanderers army. I have to say I absolutely love the models and am doing a 'Winter Hunt' army. I have written up a few lists but feel the Waystone Pathfinders Battalion could be very useful. That being said I am unclear on the actual use of it. 

My question is, do I have to put the entire battalion in reserve ready for a first turn deployment? Or do I get to choose which units I would like to put in reserve and which to start on the table?

Edited by Ailuro81
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Ailuro81 said:

My question is, do I have to put the entire battalion in reserve ready for a first turn deployment? Or do I get to choose which units I would like to put in reserve and which to start on the table?

You have a good deal of freedom here. From the core rules under Warscroll Battalions: 'During set-up, you can set up some or all the units from a warscroll battalion at the same time rather than setting up each unit individually.' When a unit is set up, that is when you declare whether it is using any special deployment rules, like the Waystone Pathfinders' Realm Wanderers ability. 

So as one drop you can set up some or all of the units in the battalion, and then set up any remaining units individually, declaring for each unit when deployed whether they will start on the battlefield or not.

Weclome to the fold, you have good taste! :) 

1 hour ago, Ailuro81 said:

Hey all

I have decided to take up the underdog mantle and start a Wanderers army. I have to say I absolutely love the models and am doing a 'Winter Hunt' army. I have written up a few lists but feel the Waystone Pathfinders Battalion could be very useful. That being said I am unclear on the actual use of it. 

Welcome to the Wander Wagon (we need a freacking logo for that!!!!!?) friend. I was about to write something but I got interrupted and some other very handsome tall elf did it for me.

Welcome

5 hours ago, Ailuro81 said:

Hey all

Welcome, and good call on the winter hunt, im also doing that and the models look sweet painted in a winter scheme.

Others have commented on the set up for pathfinders, but also remenber, they dont have to arrive in the same spot and dont count as moving

• Like 1

Ordinarily Aezeal I would agree. I just wanted to do something a little different. It was a toss up between winter blue and autumn red so I went blue. I am going to do a few Sylvaneth allies in the same scheme. Once complete I may do an Autumn army as well

12 hours ago, Ailuro81 said:

My test model was the Nomad Prince, quite happy with the scheme.

I'm not sure it can be said enough what a great model the Prince is and it's always great to see everyone's take on him. Nice work, very wintery. The red gems really pop against the grey-blue.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Ailuro81 said:

Ordinarily Aezeal I would agree. I just wanted to do something a little different. It was a toss up between winter blue and autumn red so I went blue. I am going to do a few Sylvaneth allies in the same scheme. Once complete I may do an Autumn army as well

Ow god thankfully not autumn red... my racist eyes can't bear another autumn themed wood elf :D, I sometimes feel there are more people being "original" with autumn wanderers than people with green armies. Anyway.. great painting skills.

41 minutes ago, awcamawn said:

I'm not sure it can be said enough what a great model the Prince is and it's always great to see everyone's take on him. Nice work, very wintery. The red gems really pop against the grey-blue.

It's a great model and personally it's one of the best painted models I personally have (within my limited skills).. sadly his bird is completely gone... was not attached and somehow it wasn't in the container where he was either.

• Like 1

BTW when I see that old hunting cat (next to the lore master on the rock) which was old even when I started 20 years ago (got it 2nd hand then) I REALLY think that now we lost the tree spirit part of the army we SHOULD get our connection with the beasts back. Nomads with beasts... a unit and a hero would be nice and give the army a bit more character. I'd not mind if it where AoS beasts... gryph/draco beasts would be nice too.. or beetles.

• Like 4