AoS 2 - Wanderers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

8 hours ago, Gwill_of_the_Woods said:

@Seadee- Caravan of the Golden Stag is an awesome name for a Wanderers army! :)

I've called mine "Hunter's Moon".

I think that the War/Shadow Dancers could have been a really amazing combat unit for us.

My Wanderers are taking solace back at the forest for a while, except for maybe some use as allies. I genuinely can't use them well enough to actually win a match. I was having some luck with the GHB2017 realm-wanderers set-up, but now in GHB2018/V2 I don't stand a chance. I feel like I'm just playing to see how little I lose by, or how long I can last.

I'm starting to build up a Deepkin army, so a Waywatcher will be welcome.

I can see this.. I'm honestly not even gonna try till I'm getting bored with sylvaneth.. and considering the limited time I have to play that won't be soon.

56 minutes ago, adreal said:

See i dont see this, i dont think we are top tier competitive, but i dont see us as a auto loose faction.

Auto loose... not in a game with dice... if me and my opponents would rolls the same as my last game I can probably win with wanderers even with a severe points disadvantage.

I'm just thinking that the disadvantage is very severe. With average dice I think most opponents with "aos armies"(meaning not other legacy armies and barely supported ones but ones with actually books etc) will have to make very big mistakes for us to win even if we play flawless.

• Like 2

Granted i havnt played much aos, but i think we are in a okay position if played to our strengths, but yeah, we are not overly competitive.

Its a shame, it would be very easy to give us a bonesplitters type battletome, with some small changes (rend on wild riders, more battalions, a dragon) and we would be in a better position, for not that much more work.

A daughters of khaine type battletome release would be even better, we could get wardancers back, some more wild type units to give us more combat presence,  and fix wild riders, but that would take effort

• Like 1

Double post, but i had a idea

Gw could put a larger base in the wild riders/sisters box and make a warscroll for a mounted wild prince/spellweaver like they did with flesh eater courts.

Waystriders could be made out of wildwood rangers

Wayfinders out of glade guard

Waywatchers out of sisters of the watch.

Then we just need a plastic spellweaver (or keep the finecast, whatever), then just some simple battalions giving some rerolls or bonuses if in cover.

Put some funky rules for kindreds from different realms like what idoneth and daughters of khain got.

Boom, we have a battletome.

• Like 2

On 7/26/2018 at 10:07 AM, Gwill_of_the_Woods said:

@Seadee- Caravan of the Golden Stag is an awesome name for a Wanderers army! :)

I've called mine "Hunter's Moon".

I think that the War/Shadow Dancers could have been a really amazing combat unit for us.

My Wanderers are taking solace back at the forest for a while, except for maybe some use as allies. I genuinely can't use them well enough to actually win a match. I was having some luck with the GHB2017 realm-wanderers set-up, but now in GHB2018/V2 I don't stand a chance. I feel like I'm just playing to see how little I lose by, or how long I can last.

I'm starting to build up a Deepkin army, so a Waywatcher will be welcome.

Thanks :) They were/are going to be Gypsies, sort of... Gypsies or Carnival Folk (basically AoS Halequins) 

from what i've read in this thread and on others, the only way it works is if you pick the best units from a general order army, then proxy/convert them to fit the Forest folk theme.

so i was going to get a Celestial Hurricanum and make that into my "caravan", then expand from there... witch alves as war/shadow dancers, sisters of thorn/doomfire warlocks, etc

basically, get a decent Mixed list, then think about which Wood Elf unit could represent which warscroll. 

i even toyed with the idea of using Stormcasts as Mercenary body guards, either as it or by using the elvan bloodbowl team!

Ultimately i decided to go Undead, not exactly sure why, but it just caught and held my attention.

Edited by Seadee
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, adreal said:

Hellion legs and heads, wild rider torso and capes, assorted arms (wildwood ranger, harlequin, wild rider, glade guard)

Ah hellion legs and heads... was mostly wondering about them.

PM I like small weapon wardancers best.. the heavy weapon wardancers never really look right to me (Gw's older ones had this and I see the same in your champion) it's hard to imagine gracefull moves with such a weapon.

Edited by Aezeal

1 minute ago, Aezeal said:

Ah hellion legs... was mostly wondering about them.

PM I like small weapon wardancers best.. the heavy weapon wardancers never really look right to me (Gw's older ones had this and I see the same in your champion) it's hard to imagine gracefull moves with such a weapon.

Oh for sure i understand the issue with the heavier weapons, ideally i would have liked to use wyche weapons but i dont have any sprues of wyches

3 minutes ago, adreal said:

Oh for sure i understand the issue with the heavier weapons, ideally i would have liked to use wyche weapons but i dont have any sprues of wyches

That model is  my least favorite of the bunch.. everything (I think) you used to make him a champion is not as good looking  as in the other models. I don't really like the helmeted look from the  wild rider either. Those other 4 models are just great though.. the legs are ideal for this sort of stuff (I guess harlequin legs might be useable too?) and those hellion heads just look awesome. Could you show them once you have painted them?

So what's the general prognosis with regards to starting a Wanderers army from scratch these days? Do people expect that they'll continue to be supported beyond GH2018? If I play Wanderers at 1000 points can I expect to be tabled 90% of the time, regardless of experience? Metal hero models notwithstanding, I really like the models that are still supported. I don't care much about playing a top tier army but I don't want to dump money into a faction that gets phased out after a year or so.

Edited by Justinbot
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Justinbot said:

So what's the general prognosis with regards to starting a Wanderers army from scratch these days? Do people expect that they'll continue to be supported beyond GH2018? If I play Wanderers at 1000 points can I expect to be tabled 90% of the time, regardless of experience? Metal hero models notwithstanding, I really like the models that are still supported. I don't care much about playing a top tier army but I don't want to dump money into a faction that gets phased out after a year or so.

Will wanderers get fazed out? Doubtful, most of our boxes are the white age of sigmar boxes with round bases, and we do have allegiance traits and synergies inside with our units.

Is it a great army where you have a decent shot of winning each game? Well thats debatable, but honestly, its a no, we have a uphill battle and why i can understand the nerf, the hit to realm wanderers hurts.

Will this army be supported in the future? If games workshop see it as a viable avenue for sales and the story warrents it, then yes. Narrativly, Slaanesh is our best bet for some limelight, we as a community of players need to show games workshop that wanderers has a fan base. So play in local stores, pist up pictures on thier facebook page, buy the ebooks that we have.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Justinbot said:

I doubt it would be wise atm. Yes... GW might do someting more with our wanderers in the future... but Personally I'd wait untill they do before starting them as a new army. There are plenty of armies which are better supported and presumably are nice to have too.

If aesthetic, complete squatting and winning at least 10 % of games are your only concerns you should just be save though.

Edited by Aezeal

19 hours ago, Justinbot said:

Most armys are ballanced at 2000 point. If you play 1000 a behemoth is very OP and sadly wanderers dont got that. So if you play 1000 pt and want to win just take 2 units of 30 glade guarde and see a average of  0,33*60=20 hits rend -3 teare apart any behemoth.  Last weekend I put put Nagash in first round that way, and the 800 point lost made my opponent a bit sad :) 

Anyway I just started to make some magic card for the wanderers to in order to have all required information in a small and nice looking piece of paper. What do you guys think?   
https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/normade-price

20 hours ago, adreal said:

Will wanderers get fazed out? Doubtful, most of our boxes are the white age of sigmar boxes with round bases, and we do have allegiance traits and synergies inside with our units.

Is it a great army where you have a decent shot of winning each game? Well thats debatable, but honestly, its a no, we have a uphill battle and why i can understand the nerf, the hit to realm wanderers hurts.

Will this army be supported in the future? If games workshop see it as a viable avenue for sales and the story warrents it, then yes. Narrativly, Slaanesh is our best bet for some limelight, we as a community of players need to show games workshop that wanderers has a fan base. So play in local stores, pist up pictures on thier facebook page, buy the ebooks that we have.

Hey @adreal

I loved the Orion trilogy, but what other Wanderers lierature is there?

I didn't know that they released anything mentioning Wanderers, except for the core rules book, Order book, and possibly Sylvaneth book?

13 minutes ago, Gwill_of_the_Woods said:

Hey @adreal

I loved the Orion trilogy, but what other Wanderers lierature is there?

I didn't know that they released anything mentioning Wanderers, except for the core rules book, Order book, and possibly Sylvaneth book?

There is something about a nomad prince in AoS/shadespire I think.

• Thanks 1

On 7/25/2018 at 4:42 PM, adreal said:

In grand alliance order you can still field wardancers

They pair very well with Sisters of the Thorn as the +2 save dance (and if in cover) means they are bouncing mortal wounds back on a 3+.  Re-rolling saves too.  The classic 1987 models alone mean that's an option worth looking at.

On 7/29/2018 at 1:08 PM, Justinbot said:

So what's the general prognosis with regards to starting a Wanderers army from scratch these days? Do people expect that they'll continue to be supported beyond GH2018? 

Honestly hard to say but I would be more shocked if you didn't get a good 3-4 more years of playing them.  GW is stocking stores with the kits.  That alone is significant as shelf space is key in a retail store.

On 7/30/2018 at 1:29 PM, Gwill_of_the_Woods said:

, but what other Wanderers lierature is there?

Guardians of the Forest was a Graham MacNeil novel released in August 2005 for the reboot of the army.  Guy Haley has done both a short story and audio drama on a Nomad Prince (who rides a great stag) set in the current time line that is quite good.  Buy them both to support more Wanderer stuff (Guy has indicated he wants to continue with the character).

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Popisdead said:

They pair very well with Sisters of the Thorn as the +2 save dance (and if in cover) means they are bouncing mortal wounds back on a 3+.  Re-rolling saves too.  The classic 1987 models alone mean that's an option worth looking at.

Honestly hard to say but I would be more shocked if you didn't get a good 3-4 more years of playing them.  GW is stocking stores with the kits.  That alone is significant as shelf space is key in a retail store.

Guardians of the Forest was a Graham MacNeil novel released in August 2005 for the reboot of the army.  Guy Haley has done both a short story and audio drama on a Nomad Prince (who rides a great stag) set in the current time line that is quite good.  Buy them both to support more Wanderer stuff (Guy has indicated he wants to continue with the character).

Are they on Black Library? ...do you get them through the GW site?

It would be really interesteing to see how they are portrayed in the fluff set in AoS! I'll also check out the Guardians too.

Cheers :)