AoS 2 - Wanderers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Sorry if this offends some of you but i started playing AoS Path to Glory and some how got sucked into the idea of doing death, since i already had Wood elves on the mind and since they are a "dead" army as far as AoS is considered... well ... Wanderers of the Dead ... or as i call them The Dead of Rhyran

Reanimated Wood Alves who still retain their minds, they trudge on through the unlife defending what is left of Rhyran from the pestilence of Nurgle and any others that tread it's lands.

i'll either be painting them in autumnal colours, Browns, Reds whilst making sure to do plaid flesh tones and various rots/moss growths.or painting them bright colours (as per the caravan idea) being that they want to prove they are still "alive" despite being quite dead.

i am having trouble finding animal skulls, elks, deer, etc .. i see them all the time on miniatures but cant find a good supply of them :S

Oh well, keep an eye out for more details...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Seadee said:

since they are a "dead" army as far as AoS is considered

I like the conversion idea! But Wanderers are not a dead army as far as AoS is concerned. There are black library stories, lore in the core book, and allegiance abilities for Wanderers. How much do they need to have to not be 'dead' in AoS?

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, awcamawn said:

I like the conversion idea! But Wanderers are not a dead army as far as AoS is concerned. There are black library stories, lore in the core book, and allegiance abilities for Wanderers. How much do they need to have to not be 'dead' in AoS?

I think it’s a cool idea. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, awcamawn said:

But Wanderers are not a dead army as far as AoS is concerned. There are black library stories, lore in the core book, and allegiance abilities for Wanderers. How much do they need to have to not be 'dead' in AoS?

Well I think it was about 4-5 years ago some idiot on his blog wrote "Slaanesh has to go" and since then people have predicted GW removing Slaanesh from the game.  Only... even GW is now making fun of people trying to claim they are killing Slaanesh off.

• Like 2

On 7/18/2018 at 6:30 PM, awcamawn said:

A competative army, new units, old units which we all have in our attic getting matched play rules and points, a buff in stead of a nerd in the GHB2018: in general some love from GW?

• Like 3

On 7/19/2018 at 2:30 AM, awcamawn said:

I would like a battletome, and some expanded options.

I would like glade riders to come back, wild riders to get a rend when they charge, a stag monted lord and a behemoth (maybe 2, one on a dragon and one to represent kurnoth)

Oh and as elite combat unit with swords and some magic warpaint, maybe they choose a fighting style every combat phase which can either buff thier damage or save or amount of attacks. They could call them wardancers

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, adreal said:

I would like a battletome, and some expanded options.

I would like glade riders to come back, wild riders to get a rend when they charge, a stag monted lord and a behemoth (maybe 2, one on a dragon and one to represent kurnoth)

Oh and as elite combat unit with swords and some magic warpaint, maybe they choose a fighting style every combat phase which can either buff thier damage or save or amount of attacks. They could call them wardancers

+++++++ Yes, yes, yes! Absolutely. Especially on the Wardancers part! They are missed greatly, such a cool concept that I think really epitomized Wood Elves as a faction. And because the Wardancer kindreds of the old world already roved the forests as traveling performers, they would perhaps be an even better fit for the nomadic lifestyle the Wanderers have adopted in the Mortal Realms. It just makes sense GW!

Really hoping that we may someday get the Daughters of Khaine treatment, with a battletome, a new centerpiece-style hero model, and a couple of new kits (and yes, a rework of the Wild Riders' rules akin to what the Witch Aelves received upon the DoK release).

And yet I stand by the fact that they are not 'dead' as-is. We've got to count our blessings, at least we're not one of many factions that simply have zero battalions (1>0)! ? And of all the various factions that have yet to receive an AoS battletome, we have the single most unique warscrolls - 11, so I think there is a solid core of a faction for GW to build upon here.

• Like 1

I second all that has already been said. Even though I don t even think we need a centerpiece (Bonesplitterz don t have one as they are not designed to have one and we might be the same kind of concept as per types of unit in the roster), I do strongly want a couple new units (maybe just one) and the ones we have receiving a bit of love (really WR in GHB 2018 didn t even need the point reduction, I was happy with just rend -1, they would have made a fantastic flanking unit). It is frustrating because it is soooo easy to make them a very viable army, they already have a solid backbone that just some twicks will be enough. A nice battalion might include CC units making them be able to bypass the movement penalty for their abilities while within 3" (6"?) from Waystrider (Waystrider, 2 units EG, 1 WWR 150pts); or "units in this battalion can stil roll a dice to run after they have been set-up deployed onto the battlefield" (3 units WR, 180 pts ); more could be "one unit per turn in the shooting phase can be selected as the swift patrol. When you do so do not count this unit as being moved for the purposes of its ability" (1-3 Waywatchers, 2-3 SotW units, 120 pts); or the classic "in your hero phase you can pick one enemy unit within 12" of the Nomad prince and shoot at it with all your shooting weapons from the units in this Battalion" ( NP, 0-3 Wayfinder, 1-3 GG units, 1-3 SotW units, 200 pts); "Spellsingers Congregatoin" "anytime a unit from your army which is wholly within 12" of at least 2 units from this Battalion suffers a Wound or MW roll a dice, on a 6+ the damage is ignored (2-3 Spellweaver, 1-3 SotT units, 90/110 pts). All these Battalions can be deployed "in ambush" like the Waystone pathfinders now. I could go on all day and night, I am enjoyng pulling out these things nut I ll stop because I feel particularly stupid writing up something as easy as this but still not having it.

Any suggestion or critique to what I wrote is welcome, NOTHING CAN STOP US FROM DREAMING!!!!?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, awcamawn said:

+++++++ Yes, yes, yes! Absolutely. Especially on the Wardancers part! They are missed greatly, such a cool concept that I think really epitomized Wood Elves as a faction.

I miss Wanderers too.  31 year old unit that is incredibly iconic and historic just tossed aside :(  I was hoping that Silver Tower Aelf would have gotten the Wanderer keyword and it would have been a signal towards what they planned to do.  

If the current scroll had the Wanderer keyword they would synergise well particularly with Sisters of the Thorn

• Like 1

So I have been playing in am escalation league at my local store. 

We started with 500pts and will be ending up with 1000 points at the end of the league, going up 250pts every few weeks. (Small I know, but Its a small store) 

At any rate, my starting 500pts was 

Waywatcher

20 glade guard

10 glade guard

This has been quite effective using the realm wanderers ability coupled with SotHP command trait.  Being able to zip the 20 man unit pretty much wherever I needed has been pretty effective. 

The two games played so far were against DoK and Tzeentch. 

Even so I managed to lose my first game (admittedly this was probably due to a poor play in capturing objectives) and draw a second game. The second game I was very close to winning but my opponent managed to get a charge in on their last turn to win an objective. 

So far I was able to wreck these armies fighting potential within the first couple of turns, but once they got into combat with me the GG floundered and were pretty rubbish. 

What can I take in my next 250pts to help deal with this problem? 

1 hour ago, nathan1x said:

So I have been playing in am escalation league at my local store. 

We started with 500pts and will be ending up with 1000 points at the end of the league, going up 250pts every few weeks. (Small I know, but Its a small store) 

At any rate, my starting 500pts was 

Waywatcher

20 glade guard

10 glade guard

This has been quite effective using the realm wanderers ability coupled with SotHP command trait.  Being able to zip the 20 man unit pretty much wherever I needed has been pretty effective. 

The two games played so far were against DoK and Tzeentch. 

Even so I managed to lose my first game (admittedly this was probably due to a poor play in capturing objectives) and draw a second game. The second game I was very close to winning but my opponent managed to get a charge in on their last turn to win an objective. 

So far I was able to wreck these armies fighting potential within the first couple of turns, but once they got into combat with me the GG floundered and were pretty rubbish. 

What can I take in my next 250pts to help deal with this problem? 

Um, you could go for a ten man squad of eternal guard and then a ten man squad of wildwood rangers, if you have the points get a nomad prince as well to support

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, adreal said:

Um, you could go for a ten man squad of eternal guard and then a ten man squad of wildwood rangers, if you have the points get a nomad prince as well to support

Cheers bud! Whats the best way to use wildwood rangers? I have taken them in a ten man unit before to little success. 

I dont use them myself, im more a fan of shooting, but i would keep them behind the eternal guard with the nomad prince nearby (clutch reroll 1s to hit), have the guard take the charge and depending on positioning, you should be able to be within 3" of the enemy to use the 2" reach.

In larger games casting shield of thorns and mystic shield could help, but also unit sizes and inspiring pressence can help

• Like 1

On 7/20/2018 at 1:07 PM, Aezeal said:

originally I expected the deepkin to have that aesthetic.

Yeah me too.

On 7/21/2018 at 1:27 AM, adreal said:

The combat one would make a good start to a wardancer hero

Exactly!  I think there is a lot to explore with revamping Wanderers as the classic range.  A wanderer battalion with a Wardancer hero isn't out of the realm of possibility and having them "shadow strike" or fly up or whatever mechanic and then being harder to hit back would be pretty cool.  There is an Opeth song Harlequin Forest and I've always wanted to meld my Wardanders and Harlequins more.  I read in that Aeldari Sketchbook that even Jes said the two were the allusion to each other in each game system.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Popisdead said:

Yeah me too.

Exactly!  I think there is a lot to explore with revamping Wanderers as the classic range.  A wanderer battalion with a Wardancer hero isn't out of the realm of possibility and having them "shadow strike" or fly up or whatever mechanic and then being harder to hit back would be pretty cool.  There is an Opeth song Harlequin Forest and I've always wanted to meld my Wardanders and Harlequins more.  I read in that Aeldari Sketchbook that even Jes said the two were the allusion to each other in each game system.

See i have been trying not to make a grand alliance order aelf army and kitbashing up some wardancers using the namarti thralls, dark eldar wyches and harliequins, stuff like that is making it hard to not do that.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2018 at 5:30 PM, awcamawn said:

I only say "dead" because of the nay sayers, but it inspired the idea :D

If wanderers get some love I will revisit my "caravan of the golden stag" idea 

Thanks all, Got some glade guard (skeleton warriors) to show soon :)

Edited by Seadee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Popisdead said:

There is an Opeth song Harlequin Forest and I've always wanted to meld my Wardanders and Harlequins more.  I read in that Aeldari Sketchbook that even Jes said the two were the allusion to each other in each game system.

6 hours ago, Aezeal said:

The whole reason I picked harlequins as my team for shadowwar was because they are obviously wardancers… Fantasy should have it's wardancers back! 

I'd been tempted by Harlequins for a while because they did indeed seem like the 40k analogue to wood elves (exodites not being an army). The Kill Team ruleset seems like fun, so I find myself picking up my first 40k models - the other day I built a six model kill team of Harlequins (with Wanderer heads). I played a quick game at a store that had a demo Kill Team set on the table this past weekend and absolutely shredded some Space Marines with my Harlequins in close combat. They even have "War Dancers" as a faction specific tactic! So that's how I'll scratch my Wardancer itch for the near future, and still have AoS as my main game when I want to pew pew people with Waywatchers. 

I am hoping to turn the Kill Team starter set terrain into cool AoS terrain though, there are a good amount of sci fi doodads on the buildings but I'm thinking they can be covered with greenstuff and then they just look like gothic ruins. My archers need more elevated things to stand on and shoot people from.

16 hours ago, awcamawn said:

(exodites not being an army).

Exodites were an army in Epic.  And I think there was a little tidbit in the sketchbook alluding to making them in 40k.  I took some cold ones and guardians and made some "Wind riders". 

You could make an Exodite forest army playable in both games fairly easily

Alarielle: Wraithknight

Treelord: Wraithlord

Spellweaver: Bonesinger/Spirit Seer

Treekin/Hunters: Wraithguard (I own 15 Treekin and they are on 40 mm so that worked for me)

Wardancers: Harlequin Troupe

Shadowdancer: Shadowseer/Troupemaster

Great Eagles: Venoms (can't recall the Harlequin transport)

I own Alarielle and a Wraithknight anyway but it would mean you show up at the FLGS with one army playable in two games.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2018 at 12:36 AM, Seadee said:

I only say "dead" because of the nay sayers, but it inspired the idea :D

If wanderers get some love I will revisit my "caravan of the golden stag" idea 

Thanks all, Got some glade guard (skeleton warriors) to show soon :)

For those of you that are interested.

• Like 1

@Seadee- Caravan of the Golden Stag is an awesome name for a Wanderers army! :)

I've called mine "Hunter's Moon".

I think that the War/Shadow Dancers could have been a really amazing combat unit for us.

My Wanderers are taking solace back at the forest for a while, except for maybe some use as allies. I genuinely can't use them well enough to actually win a match. I was having some luck with the GHB2017 realm-wanderers set-up, but now in GHB2018/V2 I don't stand a chance. I feel like I'm just playing to see how little I lose by, or how long I can last.

I'm starting to build up a Deepkin army, so a Waywatcher will be welcome.

• Sad 1