Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chris Tomlin

AoS 2 - Wanderers Discussion

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

Seraphon and dumped units can't be allied. No freeguild archers, excelsior warpriest, waywatcher or glade guard. They do not have a cities keyword and are not listed in the allies

I guess lets wait for official book. As of now Wiki clearly says you can ally anything from Order.

Listed armies are gaining your City keyword and/or are taken as 1 every 4 unit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've seen the book in reviews. 1d4chan is not reliable, it is a wiki editable by anyone. In the review, it is not Allies: Grand Alliance Order, it lists very specific factions, such as Fyreslayers, DoK, IDK. None of the same faction names that show up in Cities, such as freeguild or wanderers, show up as potential allies, while I wish they could. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rahatlin said:

 As of now Wiki clearly says you can ally anything from Order.

It's poorly worded but the wiki means any of the AoS Order armies (so the ones listed right there, from Stormcast to Sylvaneth) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I didn't see anybody mentioning it so maybe I'm wrong but the Nomad Prince "harrying birds of prey" ability says "...within 18" of THIS model" not "18" of ANY model" like the kharibdys. So am I correct in assuming you could stack the debuff as many times as you have Princes within 18? It's not super important but I could see running 2 nomad princes with one as your warlords adjutant or what's it just to stack on -2 to cast or more importantly slap it on some big scary monster hero that wants to crash into your lines.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well remember it’s hero only. So the greater daemons, you can stack it on to nullify their attacks, but the regular terrorgeist will not be affected. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been so focused on Living city that I haven't really been considering the other 6 Cities in relation to a (mainly) Wanderers army.  So I was wondering if anyone has been looking into the others and, if so, what their thoughts are.  I know Wanderers are a mainstay of Greywater Fastness, but don't know much about it.  I don't want to get too blinkered when the book hasn't even come out yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ghoul kings ON terrogheist and Keeprs of Secrets were what I was thinking of specifically.

 

As for cities. I kind of really like Tempest's Eye for non living city lists. The +1 to wound on ranged attacks command trait seems really nice.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Aelfric said:

I have been so focused on Living city that I haven't really been considering the other 6 Cities in relation to a (mainly) Wanderers army.  So I was wondering if anyone has been looking into the others and, if so, what their thoughts are.  I know Wanderers are a mainstay of Greywater Fastness, but don't know much about it.  I don't want to get too blinkered when the book hasn't even come out yet.

Waiting for Full book but from info we got so far- Tempest looks nice thematicly, have some Great buffs NP general with +1 hit , +1 wound on 12" aura with 1CP cost. And +1 A from spell 😊

Still cant decide ill go with that it LC. Considering i dont want to use Sylvaneth

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just had a thought, with the new command ability nomad prince, a waywatcher gets 2+ to hit when he doesn't move and is next to the Nomad prince. additional shots on 4, 5, & 6s.

Even the glade guard get arcane bobkins on 2+ to hit... If you've still got the models I think the Wanderer allegiance is now pretty good.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, GM_Monkey said:

I just had a thought, with the new command ability nomad prince, a waywatcher gets 2+ to hit when he doesn't move and is next to the Nomad prince. additional shots on 4, 5, & 6s.

Even the glade guard get arcane bobkins on 2+ to hit... If you've still got the models I think the Wanderer allegiance is now pretty good.

Unfortunately it will be good right up until the Waywatcher  (and the other units) loses the Wanderers keyword in Legends.  I think we've crossed the Rubicon on straight Wanderers allegiance; Cities is our new home and The Living City is looking like quite a nice one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem is not the legend is the increase in point costs. As of now, it's harder to fit Waywatcher in the list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Aelfric said:

Unfortunately it will be good right up until the Waywatcher  (and the other units) loses the Wanderers keyword in Legends.  I think we've crossed the Rubicon on straight Wanderers allegiance; Cities is our new home and The Living City is looking like quite a nice one.

This is true, and I don't see us being able to use them for more then 6 months to a year. (Have to see what GHB 2020 brings) but as it stands today and for the near future Wanderer allegiance is not in a totally bad place. The thing I found with Living City (in the 1 game I've played with them) is after turn one I struggled to get the hidden pathway units back into the match, infact having to move the sisters of the watch each turn, which was less then ideal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Raffonerd said:

The problem is not the legend is the increase in point costs. As of now, it's harder to fit Waywatcher in the list.

Well yeah, but eternal guards are now true brick walls, wild riders are worth the 30 more points and Sister of the Thorn are 80 points cheaper. I prefer it, it makes the army more elite and less of a horde.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello! I'm new to this community and I wanted to just add to the discussion

So I'm excited to play CoS especially since I really like the wood elves aesthetic (it's why I've been slowly building Sylvaneth these past few months). I'm interested in buying some wanderers but I'm not sure about a few things:

1) Does going full shooting as the wanderers sound good? Sisters of the Watch/Thorn are some of my favourite units aesthetically and I was wondering if I could get away with running mostly sisters of the watch with a single unit of thorn as support (with a blob of sylavneth dryads as a holding unit if I run living city).

2) Is there an easier way to collect the newer wanderers? I've been looking at Ebay and managed to snag a cheap spellweaver (which I'll run as a battlemage) but I'm not really feeling the prices for the current plastic models on either ebay or GW's site. 

Edited by Butteryicarus
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, GM_Monkey said:

This is true, and I don't see us being able to use them for more then 6 months to a year. (Have to see what GHB 2020 brings) but as it stands today and for the near future Wanderer allegiance is not in a totally bad place. The thing I found with Living City (in the 1 game I've played with them) is after turn one I struggled to get the hidden pathway units back into the match, infact having to move the sisters of the watch each turn, which was less then ideal.

That's interesting.  do you think it might be worth foregoing one round of shooting and run the SotW to get them back in the fight?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the Cities of Sigmar book:

 

"With heavy hearts, the forest rulers 
abandoned their ancient glades and 
forest kingdoms and retreated to 
Azyr alongside Sigmar the God- 
King. They became the Wanderers 
a nomadic people with no 
homeland to call their own, fighting 
for a world they had already lost. 
Neither Alarielle the Everqueen nor 
her Sylvaneth warriors would ever 
forgive their flight from Ghyran, 
and the Wanderers would forever be 
denied a place at their deity's side. "

 

It flat out says they retreated WITH Sigmar and yet they will never be forgiven for doing what she already forgave Sigmar for... bruh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Aelfric said:

That's interesting.  do you think it might be worth foregoing one round of shooting and run the SotW to get them back in the fight?

thinking about it now, I think the thing to do is to use the command ability to move them after the shooting phase. Thus you retain the shooting +1 attacks but still get in a move a turn. cost 1 CP though. I'm running 30 SotW so it's my main killing force.

  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/4/2019 at 11:51 AM, GM_Monkey said:

The thing I found with Living City (in the 1 game I've played with them) is after turn one I struggled to get the hidden pathway units back into the match, infact having to move the sisters of the watch each turn, which was less then ideal.

100% agree on the problem with getting the units back to where they are needed. We have a powerful alpha strike, but everything that comes after that is a huge problem. It get's even more problematic, if the opponent screens himself (easily accomplished) and you either waste your reserves on the flank shooting at unimportant targets, or you set them up them way back in your deployment zone, where they are equally useless for the next two battlerounds.
 

Unless the opponent has a low modell count (BCR) who can't protect himself against ambushes, I've stopped setting up units in reserve. Instead I set up all slow moving modells in the centre, protected my rear with WR or SotT, gave my opponent the first turn, pray that enough units survive and then work on regaining map control.

This is written with the Waystone Pathfinders in mind, I can only imagine said problem is even worse with Living City.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Thalandor said:

100% agree on the problem with getting the units back to where they are needed. We have a powerful alpha strike, but everything that comes after that is a huge problem. It get's even more problematic, if the opponent screens himself (easily accomplished) and you either waste your reserves on the flank shooting at unimportant targets, or you set them up them way back in your deployment zone, where they are equally useless for the next two battlerounds.
 

Unless the opponent has a low modell count (BCR) who can't protect himself against ambushes, I've stopped setting up units in reserve. Instead I set up all slow moving modells in the centre, protected my rear with WR or SotT, gave my opponent the first turn, pray that enough units survive and then work on regaining map control.

This is written with the Waystone Pathfinders in mind, I can only imagine said problem is even worse with Living City.

 

at least with Wanderers you still had the hidden pathways allegiance ability to get you into range again, you can slowly work your way in on the back line, this doesn't happen with the Living city, you do get the double move with the command ability but really you've got to really work with the depolyment

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hidden pathways two units (say 30 sisters and a nomad prince)

Shoot and scoot (1cp)

Shoot and scoot (1cp)

Shoot and scoot (1cp)

Shouldn't need to move again, plop shadow warriors in the midfield (strike from shadows) and you should have rolled over a flank with eternal guard holding the center

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/5/2019 at 10:21 AM, The Red King said:

It says they retreated WITH Sigmar and yet they will never be forgiven for doing what she already forgave Sigmar for... bruh?

Well, he's a god and his stormcasts helped with her resurrection.

Personally I think it sucks and it's a little hypocritical (Alarielle was one of the first to leave Sigmar's pantheon) but I suppose it's the nature of divinity to be so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To celebrate the release of Cities of Sigmar, I have released a book of stories based around three new cities in the Mortal Realms, including a Wanderers-centric novella.

(This is not an official GW product, so I will NOT be charging for it).

I have a limited run of print copies, which I will send out free of charge. If these run out, I will send out audio/ebook extracts instead.

If you'd like a copy, please fill in this form:

https://forms.gle/59Yo2pyMpLMa9mhy6

In return, I would appreciate an honest review (details in the book). This will help me attract publishers/agents for future work.

 

IMG_5683.JPG

Edited by DionTheWanderer
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/5/2019 at 4:21 PM, The Red King said:

It flat out says they retreated WITH Sigmar and yet they will never be forgiven for doing what she already forgave Sigmar for... bruh?

It annoys me so much that I don't want to field Sylvaneth in my army.  I will play Living City, but it will be a city elsewhere in Ghyran.  If Alarielle (Goddess of Life, after all) had helped to prevent the Nurgle's rot epidemic in the first place, perhaps the Wanderers would not have had to retreat to Azyr.  Also, Alarielle abandoned Her whole Realm to Nurgle and yet the Sylvaneth didn't hold a grudge over that.  My Wanderers do not worship Alarielle, they have their own Deity.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

It annoys me so much that I don't want to field Sylvaneth in my army.  I will play Living City, but it will be a city elsewhere in Ghyran.  If Alarielle (Goddess of Life, after all) had helped to prevent the Nurgle's rot epidemic in the first place, perhaps the Wanderers would not have had to retreat to Azyr.  Also, Alarielle abandoned Her whole Realm to Nurgle and yet the Sylvaneth didn't hold a grudge over that.  My Wanderers do not worship Alarielle, they have their own Deity.

Its GW writers and mess they did after end Times. Couple of pages within 5 years and whole story does not convince me at all 😕 Seeing old miniatures full of symbols from Old World dosnt help eighter ...

But you can always make your own narration for your warband. Maybe your warband was one that stayed when nurgle overtook Ghyran and fought? You could make convincing story for yourself - maybe that will soothe The bad taste. It helped me alot at least (if u care about such things)

My warband said ****** you to "queen" and left in search for New Home they landed in Tempest Eye where their services were rewarded 😉

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...