Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chris Tomlin

AoS 2 - Wanderers Discussion

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Raffonerd said:

I see, but if you play glade guards you can still play them. They will keep rules and warscroll.

For 11 months. Then they are tossed into Warhammer Legends.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

For 11 months. Then they are tossed into Warhammer Legends.

On a more positive note, the warscroll for freeguild crossbowmen (who I *think* are not being binned?) actually fits the profile of GG pretty well, and they are cheaper, points wise. I'll miss arcane bodkins, but at least there's a warscroll that fits the model reasonably well. Well enough that I might still paint up the 8 I have on sprue to make 2 units of 20.

Allegiance ability/keyword permitting of course (would suck if Nomad Prince couldn't help them shoot), but hopefully the book will be supportive of that sort of thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, DionTheWanderer said:

I probably will end up doing that. I freely admit I'm whinging, although there are *some* good reasons for it:

A) I don't know what I'll be able to use them as, and the uncertainty is stressful

B) I've had bad experiences with people in the community being arsey about proxying/base sizes etc, and it would be nice not to have to worry about that and just play

C)  It's still depressing to have spent two years building an army and painting it to a (for me) high standard only for it to get TK'd 8 months later. 

I understand your points. I feel the same about the first point, but the answer is to be a bit patient. About the second, whenever someone has problems with proxying, I just don't play with him, people with that point of view is just silly. Finally, It would feel like you if I were in your position, but I believe that it will be resolved the moment this battletome comes, because I am sure you will find a way to use your army. Anyway, I would love to know about your progress with all of this and I hope we keep in  touch!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, antoara said:

 About the second, whenever someone has problems with proxying, I just don't play with him, people with that point of view is just silly.

I mean, that is why I don't go to tournaments, which is a bit sad when you think about it. Fortunately there's plenty else in the hobby to keep me occupied and enjoying myself. 

On a more positive note, I think the freeguild crossbowmen have a warscroll that actually fits glade guard reasonably well (at least, nearly as well as their old one, which wasn't exactly elite to begin with). So if keywords etc stack up in the new book, which I'm hopeful they will, there are definitely ways forward.   

I'm actually playing a narrative event in October  that I am using to determine the path I take next. So I may go down the free cities route, or a completely different one, depending on the outcome of the games in that event. Looking forward to it. 

You have a Harrowhall army? Have you put much together yet or are you waiting for the book?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, DionTheWanderer said:

I mean, that is why I don't go to tournaments, which is a bit sad when you think about it. Fortunately there's plenty else in the hobby to keep me occupied and enjoying myself. 

On a more positive note, I think the freeguild crossbowmen have a warscroll that actually fits glade guard reasonably well (at least, nearly as well as their old one, which wasn't exactly elite to begin with). So if keywords etc stack up in the new book, which I'm hopeful they will, there are definitely ways forward.   

I'm actually playing a narrative event in October  that I am using to determine the path I take next. So I may go down the free cities route, or a completely different one, depending on the outcome of the games in that event. Looking forward to it. 

You have a Harrowhall army? Have you put much together yet or are you waiting for the book?

 

I started a darkling coven army this March, but I hated their warscrolls, then I tried Wanderers and when I discovered free cities from firestorm in April, i bought the box that contains the firestorm book, which I found in a local store (I felt really lucky lol). Then I started building  a Halloheart army, and I recently finished my battleline units (100 models) and my 4 heroes on foot. The only models left are a celestial hurricanum and a luminark of hyish, and I hope that I can still use my list with the new battletome and that they don't change the warscrolls a lot 😅.

Edit: I will upload some photos, so you guys can see my models

Edited by antoara

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just realised we've lost 5 out of our 11 warscrolls. That's a feelsbadman. Not sure how we can be fielded as a faction without proxing other factions into our army. Waystone pathfinders battalion is dead as well.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, in the short term at least you can still use the old models/GHB rules for now, even combined with the updated warscrolls we'll get in Cities of Sigmar.

By the time those rules expire we should have a good idea what is going on with both Cities of Sigmar and Kurnothi, so at least you'll be able to make an informed choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys, warscrolls are available also for the old wood elfs.

So, you will be able to play them since 2030 i think. The only thing is that you wont have any "tome" update. Maybe they will keep up wanderes as it is, but there wont be any update on them. That's all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, madmac said:

Well, in the short term at least you can still use the old models/GHB rules for now, even combined with the updated warscrolls we'll get in Cities of Sigmar.

I doubt the updated Warscrolls in Cities of Sigmar will have the Wanderers Keyword - really hoping I am wrong however.

Edited by Aeon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Without seeking the book, we do not know if factions will keep their keywords. Will cities have certain factions they can pull from? Or will cities have access to races? Like Living City become a Sylvaneth, Aelf, Human city? Perhaps with Shadow Warriors now having no faction, where do they go? Maybe they come join Wanderers as a second archer unit, or they join Phoenix Temples. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, carnith said:

Without seeking the book, we do not know if factions will keep their keywords. Will cities have certain factions they can pull from? Or will cities have access to races? Like Living City become a Sylvaneth, Aelf, Human city? Perhaps with Shadow Warriors now having no faction, where do they go? Maybe they come join Wanderers as a second archer unit, or they join Phoenix Temples. 

That's what I was wondering. I think the cities may lose their keyword restrictions - why would they remain? Firestorm was a campaign book that pulled units from GA: Order. Cities will have their own warscrolls, some of which are the only members of their keyword now (Devoted and Swifthawk, really). If keywords remain how many unit choices would, say, Hallowheart have compared to Anvilgard?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

That's what I was wondering. I think the cities may lose their keyword restrictions - why would they remain? Firestorm was a campaign book that pulled units from GA: Order. Cities will have their own warscrolls, some of which are the only members of their keyword now (Devoted and Swifthawk, really). If keywords remain how many unit choices would, say, Hallowheart have compared to Anvilgard?

One way or another there will be a reorganization, yes. I expect a lot of the old keywords will go, but it's always possible some are kept for future expansion reasons, like how Nighthaunt were kept in Legion of Nagash even though they had a battletome coming shortly after.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Aeon said:

I doubt the updated Warscrolls in Cities of Sigmar will have the Wanderers Keyword - really hoping I am wrong however.

You are wrong. Because they sayed you are able to play wanderes in the facebook post. So they wont update keywords I think, they will just use on top city rule

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys, Is the Waystone pathfincers battalion still competitive to play against GHB 2019 armies ?

I'd like to field it at 2500 points with the Sisters of twilight to play against a Legion of whatever guys at my local gw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Maturin said:

Hey guys, Is the Waystone pathfincers battalion still competitive to play against GHB 2019 armies ?

I'd like to field it at 2500 points with the Sisters of twilight to play against a Legion of whatever guys at my local gw.

I think so, but you have a short range of variability in listing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've made a small contest for people wanting to vent frustration creatively:

So get your waywatcher, waystriders, spellweavers an glade guard, and stick it to the man!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2019 at 6:37 PM, Raffonerd said:

You are wrong. Because they sayed you are able to play wanderes in the facebook post. So they wont update keywords I think, they will just use on top city rule

Tom from Warhammer Weekly agrees with me according to their latest episode.

Wanderers will still be able to be played, but when the Sisters of the Thorn and Wyldwood Rangers are updated in the cities book , and are without the Keyword Wanderers then they will not be able to be used in the Wanderers army. That could cripple armies while 'technically' still be able to be played.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Aeon said:

Tom from Warhammer Weekly agrees with me according to their latest episode.

Wanderers will still be able to be played, but when the Sisters of the Thorn and Wyldwood Rangers are updated in the cities book , and are without the Keyword Wanderers then they will not be able to be used in the Wanderers army. That could cripple armies while 'technically' still be able to be played.

It wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility, though what keyword would they get? Just Aelf and Order? They certainly wouldn't give them cities keywords by default, anyway. Also, keep in mind that Warhammer Weekly is largely opinion (from high-level tournament players), so it might not be the case. It would be almost unbelievable for them to remove the keywords from all the remaining units so they can't be used in their current allegiance armies (duardin, aelfs and humans alike), especially since they've officially announced that those are still supported at least up until the next GHB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If i were them i would state that factions that are eligible for a free city ie for Living City: Sylvaneth, Wanderers, Freeguild and stormcast, you would swap out their faction keyword for the "Free Cities" Keyword. It makes sense in the aspect that these guys fight as a cohesive whole but removes some of the complications of things not working correctly when it comes to abilities. Or they'll make it a supplementary keyword to be added when the unit is added to a list like the chambers or groves etc. Either way it would allow the factions to play as individuals or as the "free city" narrative they're pushing.

If they take either of these options it also leaves open the chance to revisit the individual factions if they fancy expanding them *crosses fingers*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Aeon said:

Tom from Warhammer Weekly agrees with me according to their latest episode.

Wanderers will still be able to be played, but when the Sisters of the Thorn and Wyldwood Rangers are updated in the cities book , and are without the Keyword Wanderers then they will not be able to be used in the Wanderers army. That could cripple armies while 'technically' still be able to be played.

First, you don't play those 2 units in wanderes either. So, not a problem.

Second, as you everyone is telling you, how can they change keyword of a unit with a keyword in GH19? It's a no sense errata. Plus, they have to change also stormcast keywords? mmm, i don't think so. More probable that it will be like the old city book but with specific battalion/items/blines/rules.

They have already sayed 7 types which are the cities and as long as you can pick wanderes for only 3 of them (from the lore) they wont get a specific city keyword. Maybe they will add shadow warriors to some other army.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Raffonerd said:

First, you don't play those 2 units in wanderes either. So, not a problem.

Second, as you everyone is telling you, how can they change keyword of a unit with a keyword in GH19? It's a no sense errata. Plus, they have to change also stormcast keywords? mmm, i don't think so. More probable that it will be like the old city book but with specific battalion/items/blines/rules.

They have already sayed 7 types which are the cities and as long as you can pick wanderes for only 3 of them (from the lore) they wont get a specific city keyword. Maybe they will add shadow warriors to some other army.

They are updating the entire warscroll, so any keyword can be changed.

Units can get their city added to their keywords, and city allegiances defining allies (like Stormcast, Kharadron, Sylvaneth).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So as much as I don't want to think about it with the new book on the horizon and 5 of our meager warscrolls ripped from us, what's everyones plan for their discontinued models? I know I for one won't be rewarding GW for this move with more sales and I've got a nicely converted spellsinger and waywatcher that are just going to get real good at math because they're gonna "count as" super hard.

 

So far

Spellsinger - easy battlemage

Waywatcher- knight venator ?

Waystrider- knight questor?

Wayfinder- also knight Venator?

 

Just trying to figure out hoe to keep using models I love that fit with my army without giving GW the satisfaction of trying to force me to buy their crappy "not" space marines.

  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, The Red King said:

So as much as I don't want to think about it with the new book on the horizon and 5 of our meager warscrolls ripped from us, what's everyones plan for their discontinued models? I know I for one won't be rewarding GW for this move with more sales and I've got a nicely converted spellsinger and waywatcher that are just going to get real good at math because they're gonna "count as" super hard.

 

So far

Spellsinger - easy battlemage

Waywatcher- knight venator ?

Waystrider- knight questor?

Wayfinder- also knight Venator?

 

Just trying to figure out hoe to keep using models I love that fit with my army without giving GW the satisfaction of trying to force me to buy their crappy "not" space marines.

Glade guard are a pretty good fit for Freeguild Crossbowmen - I like the rend throughout the game, they get an overwatch, and actually I think their horde bonus being volley fire rather than accuracy fits the lore better. 

Just a shame they can't hit anything, but frankly neither could GG.

Hopefully the book will have some decent heroes - they're characterful units and I've put a lot of time into mine, both painting and lore wise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, DionTheWanderer said:

Glade guard are a pretty good fit for Freeguild Crossbowmen - I like the rend throughout the game, they get an overwatch, and actually I think their horde bonus being volley fire rather than accuracy fits the lore better. 

Just a shame they can't hit anything, but frankly neither could GG.

Hopefully the book will have some decent heroes - they're characterful units and I've put a lot of time into mine, both painting and lore wise.

Dishonor on my family! I forgot glade guard because I've run sisters as long as I've been in the army. For shame.

 

Anyway on the subject of decent heroes I don't expect any new profiles so what we have is what we get sadly :/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Dishonor on my family! I forgot glade guard because I've run sisters as long as I've been in the army. For shame.

 

Anyway on the subject of decent heroes I don't expect any new profiles so what we have is what we get sadly :/

If that's the case we're pretty screwed, as there are precious few ranged heroes.

I suppose the gunmaster has a profile that you could fit to a Waywatcher/Wayfinder if you squinted  a bit. 

One long attack at high damage (think hail of doom arrow/precise shots) plus a bunch of short range attacks (think rapid fire, Legolas style). 

I know I'm going to have a fair bit of fun rewriting various warscrolls so that the wording fits Wanderers but the profile remains the same for 'counts as' purposes.

Of course, all of this is highly dependent on the synergy of abilities available, so I will be waiting for the book to come out before I get too excited.

Edited by DionTheWanderer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...