AoS 2 - Wanderers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

4 hours ago, Kramig said:

IMHO wanderers must be played only at 2000 pts, because their units are too expensive for lower formats. 

I disagree myself. I've had quite a lot of success in smaller games. 20 Sisters of the Watch teleporting around in an 1000 point game can be devastating for your opponent. And Eternal Guard and the Nomad Prince are very well costed and make up for the more expensive units somewhat. 

• Like 1

On 5/8/2019 at 5:12 PM, awcamawn said:

@martinwolf What kind of list are you using? What factions do you see play against most often locally? What battleplans have you played? Are your opponents using highly optimized tournament lists? 

I always forget to take pictures mid game myself, keep meaning to make some sort of battle report.

I can choose from: 40 Glade Guards, 10 Sisters of the Watch, 20 Eternal Guards, 5 Wild Riders, 1 Nomad Prince, 1 Spellweaver, 3 Waywatchers, 1 Wayfinder, 1 Waystrider. I often use 3 Kurnoth Hunters with Swords as Allies. I have also run 20 Dryads as Allies. I have also access to a Tree Lord Ancient.

I mostly play against Slaves To Darkness, Khorne, Grand Alliance Death and Legion of Blood. Mostly optimized lists.

Battleplans have been all over the place. We mostly roll on the 3 tables in the Generals Handbook. 

Any thoughts on the speculation about the new shadespire lion being an indication of wanderers?

Someone said the circlet matches the sisters of the thorn and the shoulder pad matches the back of their shields and I myself have said they could be made into a more savage beastmaster faction of hunters but I don't know if i'm willing to believe just yet. 

46 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Any thoughts on the speculation about the new shadespire lion being an indication of wanderers?

Someone said the circlet matches the sisters of the thorn and the shoulder pad matches the back of their shields and I myself have said they could be made into a more savage beastmaster faction of hunters but I don't know if i'm willing to believe just yet. 

IF it's order (and it could well be destruction or chaos)... lions have generally been more associated with other elves/aelves.

Just now, Thiagoma said:

The circlet is not similar to the sisters of the thorn imo.

That said it could be Wanderers or High Elf. The tail is kinda off tho.

Yeah while you can't really tell.. to me it has a NOT ORDER kinda look.

I dont know. The face is very "order" to me. Khorne already has hounds and it doesnt look beastman.  Color scheme doesnt look Chaos too.

It definitly do not look Death.

The circlet doesnt look destruction, and the gems are very present in elven stuff.

I think the tail is just a case of what do you expect fauna of the mortal realms to look like lol.

But yeah. It's way too tame to be another chaos release and the armor screams elves to me. Now I'm leaning more towards high elves as the summer elf release to fight slaanesh but I could be wrong.

6 hours ago, martinwolf said:

With the Waystone Pathfinders Battalion, do I have to put all the units aside or could I deploy some units regularly and bring in the rest in the first movement phase?

You can deploy all, some, or none of the units off the battlefield - your choice. When you select the battalion or any of it's individual units to be deployed you declare at that point whether it will be placed on or off the battlefield.

• LOVE IT! 1

5 hours ago, Glam The Laughing Warrior said:

When you deploy the battalion units in the movement phase do they all have to be on the same table edge or can you split them? It says “edges of the battlefield” so it sounds like you can split them but can anyone confirm?

Yes, the battalion deployment allows you to set up the units along any of the edges of the battlefield, deciding which edge to deploy to individually for each unit set up in this manner.

• Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

On 5/10/2019 at 9:58 PM, awcamawn said:

I disagree myself. I've had quite a lot of success in smaller games. 20 Sisters of the Watch teleporting around in an 1000 point game can be devastating for your opponent. And Eternal Guard and the Nomad Prince are very well costed and make up for the more expensive units somewhat. 

Agree with this. Since our core ability (realm wandering) got nerfed to one unit, that makes us much more viable in the smaller games as a much larger % of our army is now mobile. 

My problem with realm wandering, while very cool, is that I teleport into 18inch range of Sisters, maybe even closer to the enemy (because two rows of models want to shoot), then I shoot, I kill 3 models, then next turn I get charged and my unit is dead. I can't teleport further away because then I'm not in range and I can also not teleport a screening unit with the shooting unit because I can only teleport one unit.

But I feel like thats a general problem for me with shooting. The range I have (even with the 20inch of Glade Guard, effectively maybe 17-18 inch because shooting from 2-3 rows of models) is so short that I easily get charged in the next turn, and even worse, I can't really plan ahead because I never know when I get double turned. Which happens every game, but thats maybe just me rolling so ****** bad. :D

I complain a lot, but I really want to learn how to play better.

Sending missile troops unsupported is to doom them, if you realm wander 20 Eternal Guard first turn as bait trying to get closer to an opponents objectve they cant ignore you , give them first turn if you are lucky or planned well with battalion , in your first Hero phase cast Thorns from Sisters of the Thorn and you realm wander the EG in movement phase , does not count as movement from FAQ so they stay in Fortress mode so thorns his bouncing mortal wounds on a 5-6, if you get even luckier you get the double turn and Sisters of the Watch Realm Wander in behind the EG screen and shoot for joy, if not you hope 20 EG buffed can last at least 1 round of combat to be a viable screen for the Sisters to realm wander in behind you for missile support.

I gave up realm wandering after several games and find can provide more damage output castling up with Prince and Battalion to get extra shooting in Hero phase, lacks mobility but have out damaged many armies but still loose (not as much though) on the scenario due to lack of mobility

2 hours ago, martinwolf said:

I can't really plan ahead because I never know when I get double turned

You know when your opponent can double turn you though. Then it becomes a matter risk management, can you afford to lose whatever you teleported.

2 hours ago, martinwolf said:

that I teleport into 18inch range of Sisters, maybe even closer to the enemy (because two rows of models want to shoot), then I shoot, I kill 3 models, then next turn I get charged and my unit is dead.

Depending on how you teleport, your opponent is looking at an assumed 6" of movement, followed by 10+ inches of charge. Ironjawz. Outside of being double turned, that should be a rare occurrence.

That said, I don't know your regular opponents or table setups.

• Like 1

There are a lot of armies that can first-turn charge you these days - everything from FEC to Khorne to Slaanesh to Idoneth to DoK can get across the whole field and into your face in a single turn.

As such, when I play Wanderers I've stopped going heavy ranged and  started tanking up with a lot of WWR, because they are savage in combat, and do work on each turn. I like to bring units of GG too - one big for consistent damage (and flooding an objective) and another smaller one for support, along with a unit of SotW for reliable damage second-turn realm wandering onto the other side of the field to split my opponent's attention. I'm also a fan of WR, they are surprisingly resilient and tend to divert attention, and not slouches in combat on the charge either. I tend to ally in some Kurnoth for even more melee bite, but if you're committed to all elves everything, then really just pile on the WWR, they are a steal for their cost and they do great work. If you go really heavy into them, it honestly wouldn't hurt to bring a second NP to make sure they are getting the reroll-to-hit buff throughout the game.

Honestly it's not a good idea to play any ranged-focused army at present, the game is too heavily skewed against it as a strategy in favor of having melee-only armies be viable (which is fine, but greatly diminishes the potency of many units that pay a premium for what amounts to less potency).

If you do want to focus on shooting, I'd recommend getting as many 10-man units of EG as you can on the field and using them as roadblocks to keep your ranged units out of harm's way. You'll still want WWR (at least 20, I'd say) for the counter-charge, but this works pretty well.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The core rule for when two abilities contradict each other (Gristlegore makes them fight first, Forest Dragon's Soporific Breath makes them fight last) means that on the FEC player's turn his rule would take precedence and he would fight first and on the Wood Aelf player's turn the forest dragon would make him fight last. Whoever is currently taking their turn has their rule take precedence when dealing with a rules contradiction. So charge him with your forest dragon before he charges you if you want Soporific Breath to work (especially if you can get some Wildwood Rangers in there too)! Although with the Sisters of Twilight, their mount ol' Ceithin Har must attempt to charge if able.

On 5/26/2019 at 4:06 AM, awcamawn said:

especially if you can get some Wildwood Rangers in there too)! 

Only problem is you can’t have Wood Elves as Allies for Wanderers. You could play Grand Alliance Order to have an army consisting of Wood Elves and Wanderers, but then you lose all Wanderers Allegiance Abilities, Command Traits and Artefacts. :( 

On 5/27/2019 at 2:14 AM, martinwolf said:

Only problem is you can’t have Wood Elves as Allies for Wanderers. You could play Grand Alliance Order to have an army consisting of Wood Elves and Wanderers, but then you lose all Wanderers Allegiance Abilities, Command Traits and Artefacts. :( 

WHOA! ok wow that sucks!

Looks like i stepped into a pile here.. so let me explain. I am very new to Wanderers. Brand new in fact. A devoted Nurgle player since GHB2016. But, no army speaks to me more then a bunch of tree hugging forest elves, as both an arborist by profession, and someone fascinated by all things elvish. So on a whim, I bought 60 glade guard for less then $1 a piece and going to work my way up. Loved the forest dragon, and was planning a conversion using Alarielles beetle. I assume "wood elves" are being phased out. Had no idea you couldn't ally with wood elves though. I LOVE building my army aesthetic around one centerpiece model. Looks like I will look elsewhere.

So with 60 glade guard in the mail, Im looking for a few suggestions as to where to go from here. I love the warscroll of the sisters of the watch, I LOVE the wildwood rangers models (in fact used them to create a wood elf blood bowl team). How popular is the waystone pathfinders warscroll battalion? It seems pretty great, if not a bit dated (relying on the nomad prince to survive to function a la 'kunnin rukk' (which GW seems to have moved away from). But it's nice it would give me a reliable roadmap for purchases and projects. 

How likely are wanderers to get a battletome. Looking through GHB 2018 it seems about HALF of the armies that got abilities last year recieved a battletome since. So having a  base rule set it seems GW might re-release the wanderers line! Its almost as if the GHB ruleset serves as sort of a beta ruleset to test run. I love the unique mechanics and playstyle of the wanderers and hope the receive some attention. 

Thanks for any help in advance. 

• LOVE IT! 1

Hey All, Love flicking through this every now and then, Have yet to post until today. But I have a question that has been a hot table top topic in my circle a few times now, and again yesterday.. I felt I should should ask the Wanderers themselves! :)

If I have +1 to hit (stationary Waywatcher, Eternal Guard fortress etc) 

and re-roll 1's to hit with the Nomad Prince.. 

Are my 1's now 2's and can't be re rolled?? Surly not? ...But the Nomad Princes command ability don't say unmodified ones like other rules here and there..

On 5/12/2019 at 8:39 AM, Aezeal said:

IF it's order (and it could well be destruction or chaos)... lions have generally been more associated with other elves/aelves.

And that means what for armies in aos that havnt had range updates?

Wanderers and all the older aelf armies can still be made into whatever games workshop wants them to be.

I could see lion rangers, swifthawk and wanderers all being rolled into a single army of nomad type aelves and while the ranges look slight off together (mainly glade guard tbh) gloomspite have the same drama with spiderfang and moonclan yet they are all together.

And sure, lion rangers and wild wood rangers would step on each others toes, as would shadow warriors and glade guard, but I would say look at nighthaunt and all the samey units in that army

• Like 1