AoS 2 - Wanderers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

6 hours ago, overtninja said:

If they are releasing an Aelf battletome, or they are redoing a bunch of the faction allegiances for the new GA books, I wouldn't be surprised if they are looking at repacking a bunch of the models, and perhaps even updating the model ranges a bit. At the very least, they need to release the old elf ranges with circular bases - most of them still come with square bases it seems.

Also, the Glade Guard sprue gives you 16 models, which was normal in WHFB 6E but not otherwise, and even though they still look pretty good, they are 15 years old or so. It might be time to freshen them up, IMO.

I like the Glade Guard models too but I've been using conversions for years. Head swapping and adding bows is an easy way to improve on 'pretty good' and make them something you'll really like.  The old Glade Guard are okay until you place them next to a witch elf or a Sister of Thorn.
Better looking than Sisters of the Watch though.

On 3/6/2019 at 9:50 PM, Cynric said:

The ideal outcome for me would be a tome that brought back the wardancer/eagles/forest dragon and allowed for wander centered forces while also allowing (perhaps through battalions) for combined sylvaneth/wanderer forces.  To make allied sylvaneth practical the battalion would need to solve the wildwood summoning problem.

I'd like that too, but it seems unlikely that they would have pulled the dragons/wardancers/eagles only to put them back in.

I'm not inclined to read much into GG being unavailable, it's probably a production problem. If there is a significance to it I doubt it's a good one. GW could surprise us but there's no indication they have any plans for Wanderers and the direction has consistently been making them less attractive/playable. I would be surprised if they scrap the faction altogether but seems marginally more likely than some sort of surprise release. Happy to be wrong though.

Edited by Orsino

On 3/8/2019 at 7:28 PM, Orsino said:

I'd like that too, but it seems unlikely that they would have pulled the dragons/wardancers/eagles only to put them back in.

I'm not inclined to read much into GG being unavailable, it's probably a production problem. If there is a significance to it I doubt it's a good one. GW could surprise us but there's no indication they have any plans for Wanderers and the direction has consistently been making them less attractive/playable. I would be surprised if they scrap the faction altogether but seems marginally more likely than some sort of surprise release. Happy to be wrong though.

It's not been consistently worse really there have been some good things, mainly the first time we got army abilities etc.. just never as good as needed to compete with "armybook" armies.

• Like 2

On 3/8/2019 at 7:25 AM, Aelfric said:

I refuse to be despondent.  I think it is unlikely that they would close a faction with allegiance abilities in the GHB.  All the other kits are still available on GW's official site.  Perhaps they are holding back models to ensure availability once a battletome is released to avoid the demand issues following the Gloomspite Gitz release (I had to wait several weeks for my Fellwater Troggoths).  I think we ought to remain positive for the moment, stay calm and await further information.

I just think it’s kind of odd that they would repackage a lot of the line on rounds, and then change their minds while still offering other factions on squares. 

Could this just be an issue of supply? Like are people in GW uncertain of how much to produce? 

Wanderers seem fairly popular in the non-competitive scene, especially considering the fact that they lack a battle tome. Just going off of how many Reddit posts and TGA subs about them there are compared to non-battle tome races.

Edited by Erosharcos
  • Like 4

Also just want to throw this out there, one of the concerns of GW's listed 18-19 half-year report on page 4 was supply (here:https://s19485.pcdn.co/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/2018-19-half-year-report.pdf)

They do also list range as an issue. While I do not know if we, as consumers, would have access to their concrete sales figures, it seems to me like there are other model ranges that would be cut before Wanderers. No doubt, GW has considered discontinuing the line, but given that they had re-packaged them and I believe that Wanderers are fairly popular and have sold reasonably well compared to other lines, and the potential for future sales should they expand the range, I feel that Wanderers will stay around for a little while longer.

Hell, if I were to bet, I'd bet that us Wanderers get some kind of expanded support before the end of 2020 only because I feel the range has generated profit and could generate more for GW in the future with expansion.

• Like 2

I think with the current range there is a very limited return on what they can expect us consumers to invest in

Yes we love the army, but are we going to keep buying millions of glade guard when I'd bet the majority of us on this thread have an *th edition army that we are all too emotionally attached with to accept that our King and Queen have long but passed (so they say ...)

I'd love an expanded range, my guess s that they have an absolute surplus of Glade Guard and in terms of supply chain management do not need anymore, unless they can put them to work :P

Normally I would wait to post the painted model but I got so excited about this conversion I just had to share.

I wanted a waywatcher that would stand out in my 3 way watchers battalion list as the general (SotW battleline) so I converted up the mistweaver with some kurnoth hunter bits and skulls. 

This is Badb Catha, the crow, and hopefully I'll have a painted update for yall, but i'm gonna force myself to finish my unit of wild riders on the table first.

received_2221588861485914.jpeg

received_2004492853192530.jpeg

• LOVE IT! 4

I can only remember using precise shots once or twice during the last year. My Waywatcher killed a Skaven Arch-Warlock who was down to 4 wounds with precise shots. In another Battle I really wanted to kill a Khorgorath and used precise shots more as a "show of force" and out of an impulse to do something different I guess ^^

6 hours ago, martinwolf said:

Question for all of you: Do you ever use the precise shots with the Waywatcher?

Had this question before earlier in the thread.

The only time I use it is when something is -1 to hit and you've moved. If there is no way to get a 6+ on hit then you are better off going precise shot. So if you've had to move and you're trying to take out a character that has look out sir go precise shot, and hope for 6 on the to wound roll.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, martinwolf said:

Question for all of you: Do you ever use the precise shots with the Waywatcher?

Good question! Back in AoS 1.0 I remember using precise shots against a SCE player that had stacked the Lord-Castellant's Warding Lantern with Staunch Defender, to where he was healing wounds on saves of 5+. Using precise shots meant fewer saving throws for him to have a chance to heal off of, and if the extra rend goes off there would be no chance to heal.

There are some edge cases like this where an ability will trigger off of saving throws, and doubling your attacks with Fast Shots means more potential saving throws and a greater chance of such an ability triggering. The Stardrake's Sigmarite Thundershield also comes to mind. Fewer shots but with similar damage potential can be useful in such cases.

Greetings All,

I have been playing with this list over the last few weeks

Allegiance: Wanderers - Mortal Realm: Ghyran  - 1990 Points
LEADERS
Nomad Prince (80)
- Artefact : Forget-me-knot
Spellweaver (100)
- Heartwood Staff
- Artefact : Wand of Restoration

Waywatcher (120)
- General
- Command Trait : Masterful Hunter

Waywatcher (120)
Waystrider (80)
Anointed (80)

UNITS
10 x Eternal Guard (70)
5 x Wild Riders (120)
5 x Wild Riders (120)
20 x Glade Guard (240)
20 x Glade Guard (240)
10 x Wildwood Rangers (140)
20 x Phoenix Guard (280)

BATTALIONS
Waystone Pathfinders (200)

So the problem i have is that while the damage output is awesome when the enemy hits my battlelines and i can fire in the Hero phase im then find that i just cant hold one side as the EG and WWR just cant take a beating having only a 5+ save,  so i get chewed up and spat out . Also the WR are nice and fast but just dont have the numbers or durability to hold objectives , so yes i can do alot of damage from shooting and the PG can hold up one unit and survive most games i just cant get objectives and victory points by turn 5

Doe anyone have any suggestions on how i can bolster my battleines to protect the all important GG that provide the punch in Hero and Shooting phases ? should i drop the PG for something cheaper to screen , maybe look for large chaff units that can hold up ?

I have yet to beat anyone after 3 games and while i can nearly massacre the other player they always get me on VP as most of my damage is centred around the Nomad Prince bubble

Cheers

B

20190220_164135.jpg

Edited by bernoodist
Added Army Image
  • Like 4

Honestly most of my games feel that way. I've had a few games were the enemy just ends up running away after they break on my bubble but they've already massacred me on VP.

I think this is due to the fact a lot of our bonuses are tied to standing still (which is very counterintuitive I might add) so we have to decide if we want to kill the enemy and lose the game or try to play objectives while our army gets torn to shreds by the enemy we didnt diminish. 

Also it's past my bedtime but I can officially start on my waywatcher. 

received_305704413454379.jpeg

received_1503460646455068.jpeg

received_317700289103852.jpeg

received_2221068608206689.jpeg

Edited by The Red King
Didnt want to double post.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • LOVE IT! 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2019 at 12:34 PM, bernoodist said:

Greetings All,

I have been playing with this list over the last few weeks

Allegiance: Wanderers - Mortal Realm: Ghyran  - 1990 Points
LEADERS
Nomad Prince (80)
- Artefact : Forget-me-knot
Spellweaver (100)
- Heartwood Staff
- Artefact : Wand of Restoration

Waywatcher (120)
- General
- Command Trait : Masterful Hunter

Waywatcher (120)
Waystrider (80)
Anointed (80)

UNITS
10 x Eternal Guard (70)
5 x Wild Riders (120)
5 x Wild Riders (120)
20 x Glade Guard (240)
20 x Glade Guard (240)
10 x Wildwood Rangers (140)
20 x Phoenix Guard (280)

BATTALIONS
Waystone Pathfinders (200)

So the problem i have is that while the damage output is awesome when the enemy hits my battlelines and i can fire in the Hero phase im then find that i just cant hold one side as the EG and WWR just cant take a beating having only a 5+ save,  so i get chewed up and spat out . Also the WR are nice and fast but just dont have the numbers or durability to hold objectives , so yes i can do alot of damage from shooting and the PG can hold up one unit and survive most games i just cant get objectives and victory points by turn 5

Doe anyone have any suggestions on how i can bolster my battleines to protect the all important GG that provide the punch in Hero and Shooting phases ? should i drop the PG for something cheaper to screen , maybe look for large chaff units that can hold up ?

I have yet to beat anyone after 3 games and while i can nearly massacre the other player they always get me on VP as most of my damage is centred around the Nomad Prince bubble

Cheers

B

20190220_164135.jpg

So i finally managed a win with this list , played Knife to the Heart vs Beasts of Chaos , basically i shot enough of his army by turn 5 he only had 1 depleted unit and a Hero left holding his objective so got the minor victory based on points that i had killed

20190322_211728.jpg

20190322_215533.jpg

• Like 2

Congrats on the win @bernoodist, looked like a really fun game. Always great to see some beautiful and brightly colored armies on the table. Looks like some pretty nicely painted terrain too. I like your use of some of the older models. The Eternal Guard sans shields always looked really cool. What do you use the Glade Lord with Sword and Spear as? I got one from a GW store manager that he didn't know what to do with and I converted it into a Nomad Prince.

GladeLordSwordSpearToPrince.jpg.98c485bcd29428db49633d05b055dbad.jpgGladeLordSwordSpearToPrinceBack.jpg.2f5b55c7b08213a0752b90bc40ecc0a1.jpg

Edited by awcamawn
  • Like 1

Yes i use as the Nomad Price  i like yours and have inspired me to add some eagles to mine , it was also the first game where the eye thief worked on a minotour and gave it -1 to hit for the rest of the game

Also here are some High Elf Runes for that horn

Elven Runes.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1