AoS 2 - Wanderers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

@Gwendar Nice report! Glad to see your guys are doing well for you. It's very hard to fight 50 witch-aelves with Wanderers at 750, so good job hanging in there! And yeah, you'd probably have gotten creamed if you were playing objectives, but Wanders can do really well on those games if they can teleport in early and claim things, and then back up and shoot as necessary.

@Aelfric Both those Wanderer lists look extremely solid at 2k, I like both of them. The Forget-Me-Knot is a really nasty surprise to spring on fighty hero. I'm torn on whether to bring 2 groups of 20 Glade Guard, or two groups of SotW, because the latter is super cool, but the former presents a lot more bodies to shift. Thanks for suggesting the video!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Popisdead said:

A lot of pipe work in that realm @Gwendar 😉  Realm of Mario Bros?

Nice write up, pictures served it well. 

Yeaaah.. that's the bad part of the local GW only having 2 tables. I think our armies were affected by some Tzeentch trickery that was going on on the other table behind us.

2 hours ago, overtninja said:

@Gwendar Nice report! Glad to see your guys are doing well for you. It's very hard to fight 50 witch-aelves with Wanderers at 750, so good job hanging in there! And yeah, you'd probably have gotten creamed if you were playing objectives, but Wanders can do really well on those games if they can teleport in early and claim things, and then back up and shoot as necessary.

@Aelfric Both those Wanderer lists look extremely solid at 2k, I like both of them. The Forget-Me-Knot is a really nasty surprise to spring on fighty hero. I'm torn on whether to bring 2 groups of 20 Glade Guard, or two groups of SotW, because the latter is super cool, but the former presents a lot more bodies to shift. Thanks for suggesting the video!

Honestly I think it would've went better for her if she deployed the 30 block out front, but she didn't expect me to castle it seems. I'm still very on the fence about going full Wanderers or not. Seeing the 2 Cancon lists without screens is exciting to see...but I really feel that it's meant to just be a standard "alpha strike hard T1 and then have free objectives to sit on the rest of the game" and I just don't know that our shooting is strong enough for that. There's just no staying power from what I can tell.

@Gwendar Without screens, you're relying on being able to soften up targets before you let your characters and WWR into them, or just shoot off the small stuff, and generally playing fully towards objectives and making use of your superior movement abilities to snatch up ground. It's a fragile strategy because one double turn against you or one below-average shooting phase can sink your whole game, but it's always been that way with this faction, even back in WHF. Deep striking also really hurts a Wanderers list, and terrain can really mess with us - chiefly not having enough on the table, such that horde armies and speedy armies can run across an open field and turn-1 charge to victory.

The reason I've moved away from units of EG to screen is that when you run the battalion, you are aiming to 1-drop, and filling one of your four available infantry slots with EG is a terrible plan, because they do nothing except sit in a spot and wait to get charged. They are only really good in cover, also, and they wilt under mortal wounds, which many armies can bring in abundance, and even with a 3+/3+ attack profile they have one swing each and you tend to chain them in a line anyway, so they have no offensive power at all. It's a far better plan to bring blocks with offensive bite instead of running a defensive game when you are limited to bringing 4 infantry and two mounted units.

I've found that Wanderers are only good when they're being aggressive - trying to dictate opponent's movement by threatening a hail of arrows, flanking hard, sniping characters, focusing down targets, and generally picking apart the enemy while being mobile. We can't sit and hold things with our army, but because we do most of our work in the shooting phase, very little of our opponent's field is out of our reach, and our BS is high enough that even Look Out, Sir! doesn't keep their heroes safe. Clearing out the field and holding objectives, or even just being able to teleport where your opponent can't possibly reach, and snagging them that way, is as best a strategy that we have.

I end up making high-risk plays a lot, like teleporting a whole block of GG behind my opponent to try and shoot them off an objective, leaving them potentially stranded, but if the reward is potentially winning the game by doing so, it's got to go down. It's what makes them army exciting to play for me - the continuous underdog feeling, the go-for-broke plays, the all-or-nothing gambits, the if-this-doesn't-work-all-my-dudes-perish positions. It also means most games have lots of tension, because the wheels could come off at any time, and you could do with a drink after pretty much every game, but that's a small price to pay imo.

Other armies have the capacity to be flat out better on the table, it's true, because they are far more failure-tolerant, you don't have to be as careful when you play them, they can just roll up and sit on objectives and wait, they have tanky models or huge piles that you can't shift - there are a lot of advantages that in play end up being bluntly superior to what Wanderers have. What Wanderers have is a play style that's very different from most armies, and while it's not a superior strategy, it's a fun and interesting way to play the game. Most Wanderers players I know cultivate other armies so that they can play more 'normally', because otherwise you'll go prematurely gray.

(Also, our entire model range is gorgeous and we look fly as all get out, especially if you do some sweet conversions and give them a rad paint scheme. It's really easy to Your Dudes a Wanderers army, and that makes them awesome, even if they are mid-tier. ;p)

Edited by overtninja
word choice
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

Exactly! 😀

My Opponents often try to talk me into adding more Melee Units into my Army to "screen" . ..... There also have been teasing comments along the Lines of: "If you like so much shooting, why don't you play 40k instead? :P".... However I just don't like the mental image of throwing the lives of "My Dudes" away, because they are exactly that: my little toy soldiers whom I care about^^
You described my occasional thoughts about the Wanderers perfectly, although I was tempted to fit a block of Eternal Guard into my Pathfinder Battalion I never have been really fond of the Idea. Thanks for changing my mind actually. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aloth_Corfiser said:

Exactly! 😀

My Opponents often try to talk me into adding more Melee Units into my Army to "screen" . ..... There also have been teasing comments along the Lines of: "If you like so much shooting, why don't you play 40k instead? :P".... However I just don't like the mental image of throwing the lives of "My Dudes" away, because they are exactly that: my little toy soldiers whom I care about^^
You described my occasional thoughts about the Wanderers perfectly, although I was tempted to fit a block of Eternal Guard into my Pathfinder Battalion I never have been really fond of the Idea. Thanks for changing my mind actually. 

EG are fantastic for what they do, but they tend to run cross-purpose in a 2k army that's using the battalion because they fill a valuable slot up, and I think their function is cross-purpose for what the rest of the army wants to do, which is move around and shoot. I find that unless something is absurdly killy, a block of GG can do the same job of holding something off with their frail bodies if it comes to it, and they'd be able to retreat and shoot the rest off if they live, while a block of EG pretty much has to stand there and take it while doing nothing much back.

That said, they have been an absolute roadblock in many of my games, holding off demon lords and other nonsense for way longer than they had any right to, but I think all considered I'd rather bring more expensive dudes with decent offensive profiles and mobility.

Also, don't feel too attached to your little plastic men when you play - Wanderers die in droves, and sometimes you need to sacrifice units to ensure victory. As long as you sell their lives dearly and don't just toss them away, you'll generally come out on top, barring complete disaster. 😛

• Like 1

@overtninja Well, I think that write-up was enough to convince me. I think I'll be asking the local GW about returns and get into buying the rest of the Wanderers today. I really love playing underdog armies as I've stated before, so I'm unsure why I felt the need to make this Living City, not mention if we get an Aelves Combination tome update we would be due for some nice changes.

Every game I've had so far, though small, has been very tactically enjoying to play opposed to the more defensive\all-around setups I have with my other armies. I would just buy more SotW or GG but...I really can't be asked to paint more and think the melee punch of 20 or so WWR may be better, no?

@Gwendar 20 WWR seems a sweet spot, they stick around for long enough to do work that way and they'll delete any monster they hit if they have more than 15 models left, I'm pretty certain.

As for more shooting, go for it. I would run 2 blocks of 20 GG and a single block of SotW, or visa versa, and be okay with my shooting power at 2k. I think the former has more alpha strike potential, while the latter has more precise firing and hoses Chaos armies just a bit harder. It helps that I had about 4/5 of my army already thanks to playing WFB for ten years or so, and I had all the GG and SotW sitting around. It's also not a bad idea to have more than one army setup's-worth of models in your collection, so you can change up or tinker with your lists after you're familiar with them. Variety is the spice of life, etc etc.

I have started collecting Sylvaneth in addition (I had all those Dryads already, after all), they're a great, versatile army, and as I said it's fun to cultivate more than one army so you get different playstyles. If you like the trees, they make excellent allies in smaller games where you need/want melee bite but can't afford the battalion to bring your shooting to the next level. I'm a fan of Kurnoth and Dryads as allies - haven't tried the tree guys yet, but I'm going to buy and build a Son of Durthu (he shall be Sonny D), so I'll see what happens when you field 380 points of sylvan violence in a shooty list.

• Like 3

@overtninja I already have 5 other armies so I have plenty of other possibilities for playstyles. I was never very interested in Sylvaneth, but combining them with Wanderers just seemed good, hence the decision. The Kurnoths have done quite well for me, but it's mostly impossibly to bring them in with the battalions tax restrictions, which is fine since the WWR's do far more damage on average at the cost of defensiveness (I'm still amazed at how the Kurnoths survived that initial Witch Aelf onslaught). Now, of course I don't have to run the battalion, but I really feel the 1-drop and potential double shooting outweighs me bringing along  more shooting\Kurnoths with no deepstrike capability opposed to our T1 shenanigans.

I think my best bet is this:
Allegiance: Wanderers
Waywatcher (120)
- General
- Trait: Stalker of the Hidden Paths 
Waywatcher (120)
Waywatcher (120)
Nomad Prince (80)
- Artefact: Forget-me-knot 
Spellweaver (100)
- Heartwood Staff
- Artefact: Viridescent Shawl 
30 x Glade Guard (360)
10 x Sisters of the Watch (180)
10 x Sisters of the Watch (180)
20 x Wildwood Rangers (280)
5 x Wild Riders (120)
5 x Wild Riders (120)
Waystone Pathfinders (200)
Soulsnare Shackles (20)

Total: 2000 / 2000

• Like 2

On 1/21/2019 at 12:28 AM, Gwendar said:

I never intended for this to be an ultra competitive army, but rather something to take with my girlfriends DoK army for doubles to provide some shooting support. Still, the theory was that Living City could potentially net me some woods throughout the game which would help with objectives a bit. These lists that we're seeing at Cancon have no EG or any other screening units, so I'm really curious to see how they do.

Too bad SotW and GG have atrocious melee profiles. I guess it's better than nothing, but without some screens (hell, Dryads can actually out decent numbers) I just don't see anyway to make the army work well competitively.

Dryads are great if you have a forest.

I just think most wanderer units including the shooters should get a slight price drop. 

• Like 1

Hello fellow Wanderers,
I've recently played a 2000 point tournament using a Waystone Pathfinder Battalion stemming from the realm of

Aqshy. This is the list I used:

Nomad Prince, General, Mystwalker, Ignax' Scales
Spellweaver
Waywatcher
Waywatcher
Waywatcher

20 Eternal Guard
20 Eternal Guard
30 Glade Guard
10 Sisters of the Watch

5 Wild Riders
5 Sisters of the Thorn

Waystone Pathfinders

Wayfinder, Essence of Vulcatrix

Match 1 against KO was heavily in my favor due to the Battleplan (Places of Power). I picked out both of his artifact bearers and won the game round 2. However, even then, he slowly wore me down and would have tabled me sooner or later.
Match 2 against LoN where my opponent made a massive blunder during deploymend: She deployed Nagash first and in range of all of my shooting. I then deployed everything in the centre, with just 2 units holding the flanks and killed him and his two morghast bodyguards with 1 ranged phase and 1 hero phase using protective volley (that was the only important protective volley in the entire tournament). Again I struggled to keep up with the pressure of the remaining army in the late game, even though she only had like 1000 points left against my 2000 points.
Match 3 against Tzeentch can be watched on youtube on the Channel Stoney Place, language is german:

The match was heavily stacked against me due to the realm rules of Ulgu/shadow realm (18'' range of shooting against infinite range of Umbral Spellportal). I never managed to target his wizards due to the shooting restriction, he screened his backyard and prevented me from setting up ranged units on the border edge. I didn't get a single double turn, thus my opponent was able to close any gaps in his screening units with more summoned units.

Lessons I learned from the games:
The Alpha Strike is strong enough to single out key units/heroes, even with 2 spots filled by Eternal Guards.
Wanderers have little staying power and once all the once-per-game abilities are used and casualties are stacking up, I struggled to deal any real damage.
1 Wayfinder with Hail of Doom Arrow and Essence of Vulcatrix has absurd damage potential, but it is difficult to find the one right moment to use it.
Most players dont know much about Wanderers and overestimate or underestimate a lot of our units.
Sisters of the Thorn are useless against armies who don't rely on melee combat, in general, they have a hard time making their point costs worthwhile, even with two big Shield of Thorns targets.
Protectiv Volley doesn't work at all when the hard hitting ranged units are set up in reserve and the NP himself sits somewhere else.
Stag riders are the best option, maybe even the only option, to cap objectives that are more than 11,9'' away from the border edge.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Gwendar said:

@Thalandor Thanks for the write up.. Now i'm really looking forward to the upcoming league games.

Do you think anything would have went better for you if you used more shooting and dropped the EG altogether? Maybe in favor of some WWR at the very least?

I'm not sure. I'm quite fond of Eternal Guards as they are super cheap and battleline. I need one unit to hold the centre and delay any attempts to push into my deployment zone, and a second unit to protect the Realm Wanderer units (most of the time SotW and Waywatcher).

Maybe drop both EG units from the battalion and take one unit of 20 in addition to the battalion and place them in the centre of the map?
Drop the Wayfinder and exchange Sisters of the Thorn with a second unit of Wild Riders.  That opens up 340 points which can be put into 1x  10 Wyldwood Rangers and 10 Sisters of the Watch.
Put the unit of WWR behind the EG for a countercharge to relieve pressure on the centre. However, that leaves all Realm Wanderers exposed for a devastating countercharge by the opponent. You have to gamble on your shooting phase to completely remove your opponent's ability to react.

It's useful to keep in mind that while we can teleport a unit outside of 9 inches, we also shoot 18-22 inches, which means all we really need for shooting is to get our units close enough to fire, which may well end up being well outside of charge range. The only time I teleport deep into enemy territory is to snap up vacant objectives.

Anyway, I've a small tournament today with my Wanderers so we'll see if I can put to practice all the stuff I've been saying in this thread haha

I'll try to take some not-potato pictures and do a write-up when I get home.

• Like 3

So far my biggest issue has been with DoK who can easily close the gap with run & charge. Everything else has really been a non-issue, Tzeentch especially as I can still hit his heroes reliably with the Waywatcher despite him using Gryph-Feather Charm on one of them. I still have to work on positioning in general, which I will definitely be doing with the two+ games I have scheduled.

Looking forward to it @overtninja and pictures are pictures... I'm sure they'll be no more potato than my garbage phone camera pictures.

Edited by Gwendar

Alright, I took basically no pictures of the tournament, but I can give a rundown.

It was a 1500 point, two-round affair, and my list was - Nomad Prince(ss) with Starcaster Longbow, Wayfinder, Waywatcher General with Stalker Command Trait, and a Spellweaver; 20 GG, 20 WWR, 2x10 SotW, and 20 Dryad allies. I thought the extra melee help from the Dryads would help sure up my line and do some offensive work. They did the former but certainly not the latter, haha.

In the first game, I was matched with a Nurgle player that I play many, many games with, he uses a GUO with the artifact that regenerates any wounds received at the end of each battleshock phase on a 4+, we call him Big Fat and he is a nemesis. His army also includes 4 groups of 5 Blightknights and the mounted hero who gives a 5+ Ward to a bubble with a command ability. It's a very durable army. He also brought a couple of those giant fly riders, which were very scary.

We played the Shifting Objectives scenario, which we both immediately knew would come down to where it shifted. We knew each other's armies quite well, so it was a fierce game. It ended up a tie on points, but I lost more points in units when time was called so he took the victory. I made lots of deployment mistakes and my opponent got double turn and turn priority, which mulched my units without me being able to do the work I needed to in the shooting phase. I also over-worried about his giant flies, and had to feed my Dryads to him to hold the line, but in the end my WWR took out the flies and then charged through the middle to the center objective on the last turn and tied up the points total. Every game we play is always that close.

I do regret that I didn't take more pictures of his army, since it's really nicely painted and is delightfully disgusting, right down to the glistening diseased flesh and rusty gross armor. He's also a real friendly dude and always has a great attitude, win or lose, which is really admirable.

The second game was against a DoK army with lots of Witch Elves, a Medusa, two Kinerae drops, some Doomfire Warlocks and lots of cross-buffing, playing Places of Power. I managed to take out a unit of 10 Witches and all the Doomfire Warlocks on the first turn, but stuff went south from there. Once again, my opponent got a critical double turn on turn 2 and was immediately in my face with his blender Witch Elves, which handily obliterated my GG before they could even fire -_-. I got my Dryads in a wood, and they held off a unit of Witches for two turns even through all the buffs and a full round of attacks in the hero phase on turn two, though they died to the last. Godspeed, sweet kindling.

I managed to shoot down the Medusa, but it made it to one objective, and the game came down to my opponent with 1 point and me with 0 on the final turns. I had been running my caster to the far objective to try and make some points for the whole game, and was confident that if the game went long enough I'd be able to bank enough to win, but time was short. My opponent tried to finish off my heroes with a depleted Witch unit, but I managed to weather the attacks and escape with my Nomad Princess, carrying the artifact, and use a banked command point along with my command point from my last turn to run both my caster and the Princess to objectives to score 2, thus netting me the win.

General observations - my GG died both games because I put them too close to things, and I was too timid with my WWR. The former should be kept way back so they can do work, including deploying them far and moving them up to shoot so they can't get charged even on a double turn, while the latter need to plow the center. WWR ate everything they came up across - Witches, giant bugs, Blightknights... they are easily my favorite unit right now.

Also, Dryads are... not that great outside of Sylvaneth allegiance. They gain so much from having Wyldwoods on the table, and a 4+/4+ attack line means that with like 40 attacks I'd get maybe 4 or 5 wounds out of it, which is frankly junk. They did their job of holding down the line both games, but for 200 points I'd rather get choppy with Kurnoth, as they function just fine without their special trees. Next time, I'll run them instead. Also, even though my Dryads were basically kindling both games, they held out with their 3+ armor in the woods for longer than they should have, so they did their job. EG would have been cheaper, but with the way the games went it was handy not to have had to get into position the turn before, since it turned out I didn't even have time to do that!

Finally, I have to plan better for getting double turn'd on, since it hurts this army so much. Missing a turn of shooting before the melee is on you is absolutely crippling. Having more melee presence is definitely a good option, though putting my WWR front and center would solve that problem quite well, I think.  I think also at 1500 I'd maybe drop the Wayfinder for a Waystrider and get choppy with his greatsword, or drop him altogether and take more units - another block fo 10 GG would have been nicer to have, I think, just for additional bite. The HoD Arrow is neato, but it doesn't do the work over the game that a simple block of Legolases would.

Anyway, it was a really fun tournament and I got to play against DoK, which I can happily say was just as bad as I thought it would be but not bad enough that I couldn't squeak by, which makes me feel pretty good generally. Cheers for reading!

• Like 4

On 1/24/2019 at 9:58 PM, Thalandor said:

Lessons I learned from the games:
The Alpha Strike is strong enough to single out key units/heroes, even with 2 spots filled by Eternal Guards.
Wanderers have little staying power and once all the once-per-game abilities are used and casualties are stacking up, I struggled to deal any real damage.
1 Wayfinder with Hail of Doom Arrow and Essence of Vulcatrix has absurd damage potential, but it is difficult to find the one right moment to use it.
Most players dont know much about Wanderers and overestimate or underestimate a lot of our units.
Sisters of the Thorn are useless against armies who don't rely on melee combat, in general, they have a hard time making their point costs worthwhile, even with two big Shield of Thorns targets.
Protectiv Volley doesn't work at all when the hard hitting ranged units are set up in reserve and the NP himself sits somewhere else.
Stag riders are the best option, maybe even the only option, to cap objectives that are more than 11,9'' away from the border edge.

Thanks for this. Some of it is obvious but the confirmation that SotT aren't worthwile is nice, I won't have t try it. The Wayfinder build is nice. And using wildriders for objective taking seems indeed their only real use, and the best unit we have for that role.... doesn't mean they aren't overcosted sadly but means I'll have to try them again I guess, especially in the batallion they're possibly less a waste of points than the sisters.

@overtninja Appreciate the write up. We actually have our Pestilens player building into nurgle so I'll be curious to see how that's handled myself... but hey, I'm glad someone else can eek out wins against DoK. Every game I've had against them has been absurdly close and they've always had some of the most brutal double-turns I've ever dealt with no matter which army I'm using.

I'm happy to see the WWR's work so well for you; I definitely feel more confident in including 20 of them now in place of Kurnoths if I run the battalion. I've found that switching over to Stalker has been great for throwing all my opponents off since they were used to things leaving from the same edge. I will most certainly speak for the Kurnoths and their absurd tanking ability (surviving 2 turns against 20+ Witch Aelves previously) and they are such a perfect hybrid hammer\anvil unit in my opinion. Definitely let us know how your changes go in future games!

I didn't get to play any 1k league games today but I did play a makeup 750 for the Seraphon player... but honestly I don't think it's particularly worth posting about. Long story short it ended BR4 after 2 rounds of me not moving out of fear for his 6 Shadowstrike Ripperdactyl unit which got promptly deleted from Kurnoths (who only took 8 wounds out of ~38) + shooting. His major mistake here was dropping them into the Kurnoths over the ranged units..but again, no objective so I had no incentive whatsoever to move. I also played a quick 1k game against a newer player which was his first game with Fyreslayers specifically so... I wouldn't count it as a huge victory. That said, one thing that stood out was 30 GG shooting into 20 Vulkites to only kill 3 of them, and man that was disheartening...

...Until I won the priority roll and teleported them the hell out of there, leaving them stranded for 2 turns trying to waddle back into the action. Being able to split your opponents focus so heavily by dropping a huge ranged threat that can just poof away next turn is amazing and I can't wait to emphasize it some more at 2k. I'll make up my 1k League game against Seraphon this week so I'll be sure to post it up as usual.

17 hours ago, Gwendar said:

...Until I won the priority roll and teleported them the hell out of there, leaving them stranded for 2 turns trying to waddle back into the action. Being able to split your opponents focus so heavily by dropping a huge ranged threat that can just poof away next turn is amazing and I can't wait to emphasize it some more at 2k. I'll make up my 1k League game against Seraphon this week so I'll be sure to post it up as usual.

In most games with objectives the opponent will probably not do that and just move to and stay on an objective.

2 hours ago, Aezeal said:

In most games with objectives the opponent will probably not do that and just move to and stay on an objective.

Oh absolutely, but at a local level you would be surprised at the things some people tend to not think about. If I was going to any major tournament, I would be bringing Skaven, BoC or Legion of Azgorh over Wanderers anyway. I would never expect most people to do that anyway as they will know how to properly screen me from teleporting behind them so easily in the first place.

Still, I'll admit the reason they were allowed to teleport away was due to him only getting ~5" charge and only got about 5 Vulkites into combat and only killing 3 GG if I recall.

Can I ask a couple of questions?  First, what’s the general ‘lore’ of the wanderers?  And second, what are the odds that they could rejoin the Sylvaneth in a joint battletome in future?  One similar to the Gloomspite Gitz (ironically), split between wanderer and Sylvaneth in a manner similar to the Moonclan and spiderfang?  Is it feasible?

21 minutes ago, Arkanaut Admiral said:

Can I ask a couple of questions?  First, what’s the general ‘lore’ of the wanderers?  And second, what are the odds that they could rejoin the Sylvaneth in a joint battletome in future?  One similar to the Gloomspite Gitz (ironically), split between wanderer and Sylvaneth in a manner similar to the Moonclan and spiderfang?  Is it feasible?

Who is to say what the future will contain.  I am an old wood elf player who would very much like the future to be a bit more like the past with an army of trees, animals and elves. 

My options today as I see it are:

- wanderer allegiance, allied sylvaneth.  For me this is  not nearly enough trees and no beasts.

- grand alliance order.  No special rules, extensive use of proxies to drag out beloved old models.   Endless spells and affiliation with one region or another adds a bit more artifact choice but often the models are a bit handicapped as their abilities do not synergize well (a command ability or healing spell that only benefits a fraction of your force for example), and it does not have sylvaneth spell lore and most of the ways to deploy a wild wood.  Also opponents when I win can sometimes go sour grapes if it turns out that some old compendium unit or proxy was actually useful.   It's like bringing cardboard cutouts instead of fully modeled and painted woods in that when you win the opponent expresses that you cheated because you didnt pay GW the tax for having the forest.   Similarly they are fine with the eagle as a proxy for a Phoenix until it becomes annoying on the table.   It's just better to not have the hard feelings, it is a small community.  I like this option when I am playing someone less skilled or with a not extremely optimized army. 

- living city.  Same as grand alliance but you do gain a useful special rule but with less choices.

- sylvaneth alliegence with wanderer allies.  No beasts and not nearly enough elves.  In my case it's a sylvaneth army with a waywatcher hero and a unit of glade guard.  It gains various ways to deploy woods, teleport the trees and the spell lore.  I have had the most luck against good players/armies with this option.

None of the choices are very satisfactory.   I miss my eagles, orion and a force that was closer to 50/50 trees and elves.

• Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Cynric said:

Who is to say what the future will contain.  I am an old wood elf player who would very much like the future to be a bit more like the past with an army of trees, animals and elves. 

My options today as I see it are:

- wanderer allegiance, allied sylvaneth.  For me this is  not nearly enough trees and no beasts.

- grand alliance order.  No special rules, extensive use of proxies to drag out beloved old models.   Endless spells and affiliation with one region or another adds a bit more artifact choice but often the models are a bit handicapped as their abilities do not synergize well (a command ability or healing spell that only benefits a fraction of your force for example), and it does not have sylvaneth spell lore and most of the ways to deploy a wild wood.  Also opponents when I win can sometimes go sour grapes if it turns out that some old compendium unit or proxy was actually useful.   It's like bringing cardboard cutouts instead of fully modeled and painted woods in that when you win the opponent expresses that you cheated because you didnt pay GW the tax for having the forest.   Similarly they are fine with the eagle as a proxy for a Phoenix until it becomes annoying on the table.   It's just better to not have the hard feelings, it is a small community.  I like this option when I am playing someone less skilled or with a not extremely optimized army. 

- living city.  Same as grand alliance but you do gain a useful special rule but with less choices.

- sylvaneth alliegence with wanderer allies.  No beasts and not nearly enough elves.  In my case it's a sylvaneth army with a waywatcher hero and a unit of glade guard.  It gains various ways to deploy woods, teleport the trees and the spell lore.  I have had the most luck against good players/armies with this option.

None of the choices are very satisfactory.   I miss my eagles, orion and a force that was closer to 50/50 trees and elves.

Ah, so you support putting them back together under one battletome eh?  That’s great to hear!

It doesn’t have to be a recon of fluff.  In fact it could even help reinforce it! Yes, the Everqueen and the Sylvaneth are still mad as hell with the Aelves for chickening out.  She still can’t bare to let them back in.  But, faced with death, destruction and chaos, and with some mediation with the other gods of order, she could agree to let them work at redemption.  Maybe they can introduce a new named hero who made the plea to the everqueen personally and is the one overseeing the whole operation.  A sort of aelf ‘knight’ on a quest from their ‘lady’.

So the Wanderers go around fighting chaos, planting waystones and defending the forests in the hope of getting back into their good books.  It may never happen, but they’re allowed to try.  

And merging the two together would be so easy.  Literally just add them together; Sylvaneth keep all of their abilities, Wanderers keep all of their abilities from the GHB.  Add endless spells, maybe replace a few finecast minis with plastics, and job’s a good one!  

If they did this, I can see AoS ending up with 5 very distinct aelf factions; the light aelves, the shadow aelves, these wood aelves, the sea aelves and the snake aelves.  That’s surely a good thing yes? 

3 hours ago, Arkanaut Admiral said:

Ah, so you support putting them back together under one battletome eh?

Sure, but that seems unlikely.  What I would like functionally is a mixed (either native or higher allie allowance) wanderer/sylvaneth force with reliable ways to put wildwoods on the table.   Without the woods the sylvaneth models are overpriced imo.   This could be done through a battalion or spell lore added to either army.   Also it would be nice if the woods themselves, spells and command abilities that affect either wanderers or sylvaneth work on the entire battalion rather than just a portion.

From the point of view of just "winning games" going mixed seems much worse than going sylvaneth with an allied waywatcher and glade guard (and some kurnoth archers if yet more archery is desired.)

This would only solve 2/3 of getting back to the army of old as orion, forest dragon, wardancers, eagles and beasttenders are left to the bygone era.