AoS 2 - Wanderers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

The FAQ is great, but I have been playing that way for a while now. When the whole army moves as one it is brilliant. But being restricted to one unit is really limiting. Especially when you want everyone camped around multiple AoEs from your CP spend. 

36 minutes ago, adreal said:

Question in light of the faq

Does setting the waystone pathfinder battalion with realm wanderers count as moving??

No, that's pretty much the point of the FAQ. Realm wander into range, all the buffs are still active for the Waywatcher and the Sisters of the Watch.

• Like 2

I think that the battalion is the way to go now it's cheaper and you get a command point and extra item.  The Realm Wanderer ability has been fun, but it is of very little tactical use now, so will probably be dropping the "Stalker" trait  and try out either Masterful hunter on a Waywatcher or Singer of Spells on a Spellweaver. The points drops are nice, although most have been cancelled out by the increases.  3 Waywatchers and a Spellweaver are now an extra 80 points.  Waystrider is 80 points and still not worth taking over a Nomad Prince.

I've got 10 SotW on the go at the mo to add to the 10 I already have painted, but when they're done I'm going to concentrate on painting Idoneth for a while.

Don't mean to sound so despondent - I am going to keep playing them.

I just found this whilst looking through the faq's: https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/age_of_sigmar_grand_alliance_order_designers_commentary_en.pdf

Q: When I use the Wending Wand, do I still have to set up the unit more than 9" from enemy units? By the same token, if I use the Stalker of the Hidden Paths command trait, must the unit still be set up wholly within 6" of the table edge? A: Yes to both questions.

Q: Do the shields that come with Sisters of the Thorns/Wild Riders models have any special rules? A: No.

Q: Can I use the Waystrider’s Heartseeker Arrow ability on a general that is set up after the battle begins? A: No.

• Thanks 1

There's a small 1500 point tournament next week at my local shop and I've been dithering between Wanderers and mixed order.  However, I have put together a Wanderers list and would welcome some feedback.

Nomad Prince - General - Myst Walker - Forget-me-Knot

Spellweaver - Viridescent Shawl

Waywatcher

Waywatcher

Waystrider

10 Eternal Guard

10 Eternal Guard

10 Wildwood Rangers

10 Sisters of the Watch

5 Sisters of the Thorn

5 Wild Riders

Waystone Pathfinders Battalion

This comes to exactly 1500 points.  The aim is really to hope for a good alpha strike to deplete the enemy enough to weather the rest of the battle - the "Who Dares Wins" approach. 2 command points in the first turn to re-roll charges and the Forget-me-knot to take out big heroes ( like Morathi ).  What do you think?

(Found a use for the Waystrider at last :) )

34 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

There's a small 1500 point tournament next week at my local shop and I've been dithering between Wanderers and mixed order.  However, I have put together a Wanderers list and would welcome some feedback.

Nomad Prince - General - Myst Walker - Forget-me-Knot

Spellweaver - Viridescent Shawl

Waywatcher

Waywatcher

Waystrider

10 Eternal Guard

10 Eternal Guard

10 Wildwood Rangers

10 Sisters of the Watch

5 Sisters of the Thorn

5 Wild Riders

Waystone Pathfinders Battalion

This comes to exactly 1500 points.  The aim is really to hope for a good alpha strike to deplete the enemy enough to weather the rest of the battle - the "Who Dares Wins" approach. 2 command points in the first turn to re-roll charges and the Forget-me-knot to take out big heroes ( like Morathi ).  What do you think?

(Found a use for the Waystrider at last :) )

Do you not need one more BL?? Why not moving the general to one of the Wywatchers to have the SotW as BL? Plus you will get the 10" range trait and can keep it safer.

I see the excitement of playing the Batallion at 1500 pts but I cannot really see the dmg output in this list, or is it just me? What is your plan?

With the new changes to the trait we will need to have more and more units to "take the hit" from the  opponent and 10 man units I think are a little bit too fragile. I like the forget me knot choice I will definitely a go myself at some point. 

3 minutes ago, Frozenbeast said:

Do you not need one more BL?? Why not moving the general to one of the Wywatchers to have the SotW as BL? Plus you will get the 10" range trait and can keep it safer.

I see the excitement of playing the Batallion at 1500 pts but I cannot really see the dmg output in this list, or is it just me? What is your plan?

With the new changes to the trait we will need to have more and more units to "take the hit" from the  opponent and 10 man units I think are a little bit too fragile. I like the forget me knot choice I will definitely a go myself at some point. 

Good call, Waywatcher is now General - with Masterful Hunter - +1 to hit, I think, to help snipe heroes.  The EG's role is to hold objectives.  The SotW and WWR are hopefully going to gang-up on the greatest threat supported by a Waywatcher and Nomad Prince and eliminate it or them turn one.  The cav can be held back for later or thrown in at the beginning once I know what I'm facing and in which scenario. The Spellweaver can stay out of melee, probably with an EG unit, is -2 to missile fire and can now unbind from 30" away.  Also I can take first or second turn.  1st turn so they can't put up defences or 2nd turn to gamble for the double turn.  I'm pretty sure I'll be the only one-drop list.

Unfortunately, we don't have great damage output to begin with, so If I can take out one flank at the beginning, I'll have less coming back at me and hopefully can hold onto objectives long enough to score points.  We can't survive a stand-up fight, so I'm going for the ambush.

Yeah, Masterful sniper can be good too especially if you leave the opponent the first turn so he gets closer to you, definitely generating attacks on 4+ is not bad at all even for a single hero. Plus you can try and put him on a flank within 6" of an edge and move up using realm wanderers as it counts as not moved for the ability to get+1 to hit. You will move 6" anyway.

In my experience none of our units resist a charge and our opponent swinging first at us especially with big center pieces or hitty units so you will have to choose your fights very well even if in many situations it is just not possible. Looking forward to hearing from you, let us know how it went. I might actually try this myself.

Good luck m8.

• Thanks 1

Had a game tonight against legion of sacrament death player. I'm sure we made some mistakes, and thinking back I forgot to do my hero shooting phase.

But, I had fun, he seemed to as well, my first turn shooting was brutle (not counting as moving is awesome) but the aelven squishyness helped him stay in the game.

On 6/28/2018 at 3:05 AM, Cambot1231 said:

Don't forget faq means your eternal Guard can shield up now too for their non-moving bonus after realm wandering.  Poof mobile shield wall 

I d love to teleport them with archers as a wall. Except now they are a wall defending nothing since then you'd have teleported already.

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, Frozenbeast said:

Yeah, Masterful sniper can be good too especially if you leave the opponent the first turn so he gets closer to you, definitely generating attacks on 4+ is not bad at all even for a single hero. Plus you can try and put him on a flank within 6" of an edge and move up using realm wanderers as it counts as not moved for the ability to get+1 to hit. You will move 6" anyway.

In my experience none of our units resist a charge and our opponent swinging first at us especially with big center pieces or hitty units so you will have to choose your fights very well even if in many situations it is just not possible. Looking forward to hearing from you, let us know how it went. I might actually try this myself.

Good luck m8.

Unfortunately, it's back to the drawing board.  Found out today that we have to use Vanguard rules which has a max of 4 leaders.  Will probably trot out my Dragonhost Battalion under mixed Order instead, with added Wanderers. Will have to try it another time.

Has anyone considered making the High Sister in a unit of SotW their general? She could take Stalker of the Hidden Paths so the SotW would be able to teleport to any table edge every turn.

With the FAQ, they could always shoot twice, and if someone does manage to charge them, they get to shot again. The High Sister could also take Forget-me-not in case anything really scary charges them to give them a chance to Realm Wander away.

Seems like it would turn them into a mobile killing machine, especially if it’s a unit of 20.

(Obviously the SotW would not be battleline in this case so would have to get EG or GG)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Glam The Laughing Warrior said:

Has anyone considered making the High Sister in a unit of SotW their general? She could take Stalker of the Hidden Paths so the SotW would be able to teleport to any table edge every turn.

With the FAQ, they could always shoot twice, and if someone does manage to charge them, they get to shot again. The High Sister could also take Forget-me-not in case anything really scary charges them to give them a chance to Realm Wander away.

Seems like it would turn them into a mobile killing machine, especially if it’s a unit of 20.

(Obviously the SotW would not be battleline in this case so would have to get EG or GG)

I am pretty sure from GHB2017 GW specified the General MUST be a model with the HERO keyword and not any model on the battlefield. I did not go through all of it yet but I am pretty sure this did not change in the new edition. Plus unless the opponent can do movement shenanigans he will not be in your face straight away (it is at least a 15" movement+charge) so in your next turn you could teleport another unit to shield them wherever they are (unless he gets double turn but that is to be taken in account).

We normally play with the Battlehost limits at 1500 pts and I am planning to take that list @Aelfric wrote up because I wanna clear out my mind of any doubt (how do I do dmg, is the batallion really worth it or should I just get rid of the WR and double on SotW and WWR?). Let you know if it was effective or not.

1 minute ago, Frozenbeast said:

... Plus unless the opponent can do movement shenanigans he will not be in your face straight away (it is at least a 15" movement+charge) so in your next turn you could teleport another unit to shield them wherever they are (unless he gets double turn but that is to be taken in account).

In my experience this isnt true. The problem is not all of your models are 18" away. The whole unit can't be 18" away if you want to have everyone shoot (which you do) so the range is usually 14"-16" away. Easy to each with most cavalry (12" move less then 6" charge) and from what I found playing last week a unit of 10 sisters will melt agains 5 cav. The overwatch is okay you can usually take 2-3 wounds of them but it sill leaves 8 attacks from the riders and 8 attacks from the horses and what have you got left.

Agreed against cavalry. Although mine was not a general talking and had something intrinsic: you have to teleport with a bit of grain of salt. I would not teleport my alfa-striking unit if I know it will get melted by somebody in CC. Maybe it was stupid of me talking about a topic that requires too many variables consideration and should not be discussed unless we talk of specific situations. But, considering the numbers you also wrote down (not far away from what I said), an isolated infantry unit would not be able to charge. Right?

Edited by Frozenbeast
  • Like 1

No you're right, in fact you're double right in that you now need to be really careful with the teleport as there are units that can reach you. But yeah your standard infantry unit can't reach you.

I'm just still bitter from loosing my sisters 2 games in a row to cavalry as I did a stupid placement. Something for me to work on...

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Frozenbeast said:

I am pretty sure from GHB2017 GW specified the General MUST be a model with the HERO keyword and not any model on the battlefield. I did not go through all of it yet but I am pretty sure this did not change in the new edition.

Doh! You are right. In GHB2018: “In a pitched battle, your general must be a Leader, and may not be an ally”

Well it was just a crazy idea... Makes sense it should be a hero...