AoS 2 - Wanderers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Would be nice - we could use some kinda reliable mortal wounds generation for all these multi-wound durable dudes runnin' about. I'd honestly love to see some new Wardancers - I always liked those guys and they were one of the cooler things in the old WE range, but the models are really thin and strangely compact in their posing.

It would be neat to see what kind of new dudes the range might get.

• LOVE IT! 1

On 11/10/2018 at 10:09 AM, overtninja said:

Would be nice - we could use some kinda reliable mortal wounds generation for all these multi-wound durable dudes runnin' about. I'd honestly love to see some new Wardancers - I always liked those guys and they were one of the cooler things in the old WE range, but the models are really thin and strangely compact in their posing.

It would be neat to see what kind of new dudes the range might get.

I've tried running a magic-heavy list with some endless spells in order to get some MW. Aethervoid pendulum is a reliable one for 40 points. Others vary depending on the realms, but vs Chaos (particularly in Chamon) then Quicksilver Swords is a steal at 20pts. 

Also who needs MW when you have bodkins? ;)

Edited by DionTheWanderer
  • Like 1

Yeah, we have good tools in our arsenal, it's why we can actually play as a cohesive force. Our melee is lackluster, so we end up being the Tau of AoS, which isn't as fun for our opponents, I think. I like being a ranged-focused faction, but I'd like some melee infantry options that are more mobile. I honestly think Wardancers would be a great fit, but they'd need new models. I'll still keep the old ones I have for the time being of course, but they could really use them.

As it stands, I generally ally in my Dryads, and later on I'll throw some Kurnoth with swords or scythes in to do some heavy lifting in melee, or possibly an Ancient and a Branchwraith for Wildwood summoning shenanigans.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2018 at 7:00 AM, overtninja said:

Yeah, we have good tools in our arsenal, it's why we can actually play as a cohesive force. Our melee is lackluster, so we end up being the Tau of AoS, which isn't as fun for our opponents, I think. I like being a ranged-focused faction, but I'd like some melee infantry options that are more mobile. I honestly think Wardancers would be a great fit, but they'd need new models. I'll still keep the old ones I have for the time being of course, but they could really use them.

As it stands, I generally ally in my Dryads, and later on I'll throw some Kurnoth with swords or scythes in to do some heavy lifting in melee, or possibly an Ancient and a Branchwraith for Wildwood summoning shenanigans.

The difference being that Tau have ranges of more than one charge range... ow I know.. MOST regular troops would need a high roll to move and charge 18-20 inch.. but PLENTY of melee armies can get into the fight from way past our average shooting range.

I'd not expect too much from TLA and branchwraith... it's a bit much of an investment for a 4+ summon roll and a 7+ spell. Even in Sylvaneth games it's often hard to place the dryads ideally.. in this case I think it's gonna be near 400 points that won't have too much effect a lot of the time: Kurnoths for heavy lifting seem a better idea.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Aezeal said:

The difference being that Tau have ranges of more than one charge range... ow I know.. MOST regular troops would need a high roll to move and charge 18-20 inch.. but PLENTY of melee armies can get into the fight from way past our average shooting range.

I'd not expect too much from TLA and branchwraith... it's a bit much of an investment for a 4+ summon roll and a 7+ spell. Even in Sylvaneth games it's often hard to place the dryads ideally.. in this case I think it's gonna be near 400 points that won't have too much effect a lot of the time: Kurnoths for heavy lifting seem a better idea.

So what, maybe something more like this and ditch the battalion?

Allegiance: Wanderers
Waywatcher (120)
- General
- Trait: Stalker of the Hidden Paths 
Waywatcher (120)
Waywatcher (120)
Nomad Prince (80)
- Artefact: Forget-me-knot 
Spellweaver (100)
- Heartwood Staff
30 x Glade Guard (360)
10 x Sisters of the Watch (180)
10 x Sisters of the Watch (180)
20 x Eternal Guard (140)
20 x Eternal Guard (140)
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (200)
- Greatswords
- Allies
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (200)
- Greatswords
- Allies

Total: 1940 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 400 / 400
Wounds: 145

Could even drop the Prince to get 2x30 EG, giving you 2 divisions of an EG anvil, Kurnoth hammer and SotW support. GG of course teleport and do their thing while everything else castles on objectives.

• Like 3

Looks good @Gwendar. I would consider, although up to personal preference, putting your Sisters of the Watch into one large unit of 20 and have that unit be your main target for Realm Wanderers. They benefit greatly from not having to 'move' and thus shoot twice in the shooting phase, while Glade Guard can scoot and shoot normally without penalty.

Another thing to think about is your command trait, depending on how much use you get out of Stalker of the Hidden Paths. I've found the extra 10" of range from Eagle Eyed really useful for getting in range of support heroes that your opponent may hold to the back a bit. The Spellweaver as general with Singer of Spells is a pretty solid option as well, especially against magic heavy opponents when you want more reliability in unbinding them normally and preventing them from more easily unbinding your own spells. Just some things to think about; a very solid looking list!

Edited by awcamawn
  • Like 1

@awcamawn I see what you mean. I assumed having 2x10 to stand behind the EG would be best considering both units prefer to not move and can easily sit on top of an objective. I think I tend to look at GG as a throwaway unit to get off the Bodkins on a key target and then most likely die from being in the backline by themselves and not serving much purpose after that fact.

I had the Waywatcher as general since I just modified a pure shooting list involving 2x30 GG and 3x10 SotW. Now that I'm bringing along the EG + Kurnoths for more balance, It could make sense. I threw around the idea of using 2 Spellweavers + Shackles in place of the 3rd Waywatcher considering the magic meta, but wasn't completely convinced. Shawl + Singer in conjunction with 2 Spellweavers is starting to sound a bit better.

Edited by Gwendar
  • Like 1

Given that game workshop have taken to facebook to ask about points for the next generals handbook, there is hope for more community driven balance changes in GH19.

I personally hope for a change back to realm wanderers, or change it to the beast of chaos ambush rule. Points I can take or leave, but a change to realm wandering would be a massive boon (they can't make it much worse right)

• Like 3

@adrealThe BoC ambush rule could be great, but I think it's more beneficial to teleport armies around throughout the game. 1 is too few, all units could be too much.

On another note, does anyone have good ideas for a Spellweaver conversion? I despise resin and metal, so if anyone has some examples to throw around of plastic conversions I would really appreciate it.

Also for SotW - "Loose until the last" means they can delete or seriously hamper a unit that charges them IF have 20+. Units of 10 are much easier for the enemy to overrun but of course you do sacrifice some flexibility and not all eggs in one basket. Just something to consider.

I mean, previous lists I had been thinking about didn't include any EG at all and I just ran 2x20 SotW. I highly doubt that will do much good after the initial volley or two and I'm not sure where I would find room for more SotW unless I drop the Kurnoths. Are 20 more Sisters worth it over 2 units of Kurnoths?

6 hours ago, Gwendar said:

@adrealThe BoC ambush rule could be great, but I think it's more beneficial to teleport armies around throughout the game. 1 is too few, all units could be too much.

Oh for sure, I would love realm wanderer to work as it used to, maybe toned down in that the unit counts as moving, although our shooting, while good, never seemed to be on KO (when launched) levels

• Like 2

12 hours ago, adreal said:

Oh for sure, I would love realm wanderer to work as it used to

I missed out on the old version since I'm still painting my army.  I wasn't sure how I wanted to play Wanderers after AoS removed the 'Sisters of Twilight' and the old 'Glade Lord on Forest Dragon'. I eventually made up the gap with more glade guard and I replaced the Sisters of Twilight with 2 themed Waywatchers.  This list has 84 Bodkins per game, 100 arrows and 10 javelins per turn, and the potential to double that (220 shots) with Waystone Pathfinder's 'Protective Volley'.
Also I dub this my 'no drop' army, since I can deploy it entirely off table. If you elect to go second you can deprive your opponent of any kills in the first turn, then ambush 6" off of any table edge and start mopping up. 

Nomad Prince (General, Starcaster Longbow, Stalker of Hidden Paths)
SpellSinger (Wending Wand)
Waystalker
Waywatcher
Waywatcher

20x Glade Guard
20x Glade Guard
20x Glade Guard
20x Glade Guard
5x Wildriders
5x Sisters of Torn 

Waystone Pathfinders Battalion 
2000 points

• Like 1

On 11/16/2018 at 1:39 PM, Gwendar said:

On another note, does anyone have good ideas for a Spellweaver conversion? I despise resin and metal, so if anyone has some examples to throw around of plastic conversions I would really appreciate it.

It's based on a metal model (which needed clipping and filing down) but I had a lot of fun making this one:

IMG_2600.jpg.0964705628182046048ac73abebc7e5c.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Garz25 said:

Could you use glade lord on dragon in match play? If not do you think the dragonlord would be a good add on to a list?

Not without loosing the Wanderers allegiance abilities (for what that's worth) which will also knock out Eternal Guard from being battleline.

Personnally I would just the Dragon lord, which is as good if not better then the Glade lord. I have used one before, it's not the most competitive list but it's great fun to use.

2 hours ago, GM_Monkey said:

Not without loosing the Wanderers allegiance abilities (for what that's worth) which will also knock out Eternal Guard from being battleline.

Personnally I would just the Dragon lord, which is as good if not better then the Glade lord. I have used one before, it's not the most competitive list but it's great fun to use.

How does it stop you using Wanderers Allegiance? It's within the limit for Allies in terms of points?

Or are we not allowed to ally with Wood Elves... that would be a bit ridiculous.

3 hours ago, GM_Monkey said:

Yeah I have the model and I would like to use it lol. Even if it Is a counts as since weapons would be the same. How would EG not be battleline?

2 hours ago, DionTheWanderer said:

How does it stop you using Wanderers Allegiance? It's within the limit for Allies in terms of points?

Or are we not allowed to ally with Wood Elves... that would be a bit ridiculous.

Wood Elves aren't matched play allies for wanderers.

None of the old legacy lists are valid allies so you can only use them in Order allegiance lists.

1 minute ago, DionTheWanderer said:

How annoying. I can't see that being a problem outside of serious tournaments though. 

Indeed, most of the time if you ask your opponent they usually let you. And what you can actually do is take 2 lists, 1 with the old Wood elves included and 1 with all the correct units. 

But is question did start "Could you use glade lord on dragon in match play?" so I was just trying to answer for that. 🙂

• Like 1