AoS 2 - Wanderers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 11:15 PM, adreal said:

Yeah it's pretty clear that you cannot have further exploding hits from the fast shot ability,  I know I had the same thoughts until i actually read the rules

Yes, and saying anything else makes people just look stupid.. the rules are clear and they are stated in previous answer clearly... 

On 10/21/2018 at 11:07 AM, Martsb said:

I want Vince to be right I think ! 

Sure but you should want for Wanderers to be better ?  Vince is often incorrect on rulings he states in the show when it comes to obscure or weirder rules.  And deliberately pronounces things incorrectly to be "funny".  I would take him with a grain of salt.

Woah woah woah.  Is that Vince "the reason im sitting 5 feet from an airbrush" Venturella?

I love your YouTube videos man. I was at work 6 videos in thinking, should I get an airbrush and then boom.  Video 6 "just buy an airbrush" ordered it before I left work lol.

Also thanks to everyone over the last 16 pages I've learned a lot.

On 10/20/2018 at 11:20 AM, GM_Monkey said:

Wow, 880 points for 20  Sister of the Thorn, I would really not go for this. I find sister so poor at everything other then casting that I'm really find it difficult to even take 5 at the moment. Obviously wants so good about wanderers is we do have a choice so we can go with different things.

yeah, I guess that is a good point, I didn't really think that price through!

So, just got back from RAW, running 1500pts of Wanderers for the first time.

First and foremost, what a fantastic event. Really great people, fantastic organisation, amazing theme/rules and scenery. Wonderful time. 

Now, obviously it's a narrative event, so wasn't being played with hyper-competitive armies or by hyper-competitive people. Which, frankly, is one of the best things about it. All I really wanted was for my army to stay on the board long enough for the games to stay interesting past turn 1, which they more or less did. I maintain that Stormcast are Aelf kryptonite (they demolish us in the hero phase AND the shooting phase AND the combat phase). And the game where I deployed within 6" of my board edge, and still had a Gargant charge me first turn was a bit of a massacre. But they stayed fun and interesting. I even won a game (and rode on the coattails of a DoK army in the doubles - my word those ladies roll a lot of dice). 

Now, while I'm sure these tactics won't wash in tournaments or against any kind of meta-list, I did have a few observations that I'll try to follow in future. I'll repeat them below in the hope they might help newbie players. I certainly got a bit discouraged at first on coming back to the hobby and getting stomped off the table in turn 2 repeatedly. Comments from more experienced Wanderers generals very welcome. 

I found refused-flank a really powerful tactic. Used it twice to force opponents to spend a large part of the game swinging round towards me rather than dashing into combat round 1.  Basically setting up some EG in cover as a pivot point/dissuade opponents from charging that side and then tempting opponents to set up opposite a large block of GG. Then realm-wandered them away (using Stalker of the Hidden Paths) to suddenly make a whole flank of that army disappear. Alternatively using the EG in cover as a speedbump, in order to give you enough time to make everything around them disappear somewhere else (while shooting a lot). 

Soulsnare shackles are  really quite useful for 20 points. Particularly if you snipe their wizard(s) off the board as an early priority - then they are stuck with them. Sisters of the Thorn are a very mobile way of sticking them somewhere useful and then running away.

Terrain-heavy tables really suit us. Cover for the EG. Realm-wandering becomes much more powerful as other armies have to move round terrain to get to us. And you can use the Shackles to  block entire avenues of approach (particularly for models with big bases like bloody Sigmarines). 

• Like 4

So now after we've had 3 months or so of the new General Handbook alliangance abilities, especially the changes to Realm Wanderers to one unit. I was had a few of questions about how you play wanderers now.

- What unit, if any do you use the Realm Wanderer ability on?

- Do you still take Stalker of the Hidden Path or have you changed it to something else? What is that?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GM_Monkey said:

So now after we've had 3 months or so of the new General Handbook alliangance abilities, especially the changes to Realm Wanderers to one unit. I was had a few of questions about how you play wanderers now.

- Do you still take Stalker of the Hidden Path or have you changed it to something else? What is that?

Usual caveat that I'm not a very experienced player yet.

I still take stalker. Movement is all we have as an army, so it's super important to maximise its use. Our next best ability is Forget-me-Knot which is basically designed to make a superior army fractionally less superior for one other turn. We can no longer beat people in the shooting phase, and we never could in combat. Our only option for winning games is to use our large number of bodies and clever movement to take objectives. 

Depending on tactical situation I'll wander one of three units (usually).

Glade Guard *after* they've got their bodkins off. Have them within 8" of Nomad Prince for his command ability on their bodkins. Then, assuming there are any left on the table, drop them on the back edge behind the enemy line. Either the enemy have to divert forces back up the board to get rid of them, or they can continue to fire for the rest of the game. In reality this later option is little more than a gentle tickle - so it's more the perceived threat. Nobody likes having 30 elf archers dropped behind their lines even if they're not actually doing very much.  At the very least they'll have to leave units behind to hold objectives. Maybe it can pick off a wizard or something if they're hiding in the back.

Wildwood Rangers in the hope of getting them into combat before they get wiped off the board. Obviously this is unlikely to work in most circumstances  as they have a 9" charge to make, and if they are counter charged, they're dead before they can do anything. However, dropping them behind a combat unit who are bogged down by Eternal Guard can be quite effective. I'm also thinking about trying to use the cogs and maybe a command point charge re-roll, although I haven't managed to use either yet.

Waywatcher - Realm Wandering doesn't count as moving for the purpose of shooting, so dropping the waywatcher behind enemy lines, or scooting them down a board edge can both keep them out of harms way and draw powerful enemy units out of position. 

Edited by DionTheWanderer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hey all, I finally found a game club to play at in Taiwan, and I'm playing a 500 points game against Nighthaunt. These will be my first actual games in AoS, so I'm looking to start off on the right foot. I've got no idea what my opponent will bring specifically, but I know there's gonna be some spookiness, LD debuffing, possible summoning, and that rend won't matter because they're all ethereal.

With that in mind, I've cooked up 3 lists that I think might be decent.

#1: WW General, CT: Eagle-eyed, Starcaster Longbow Artefact

Battle Line: 10 SotW, 10 EG

5 Wild Riders

total 490

#2: Nomad Prince General, CT: Myst Walker, A: Relic Blade

Hero: Wayfinder

BL: 10 EG, 10 EG

10 SotW

total 500

#3: same as #2 but sub out Wayfinder for 10 Dryads as allies

The second is certainly the strongest shooting option, but I'm concerned about getting swarmed with a horde of ghosts even at a low points total, and the shootier list only has my NP as a real heavy-hitter. The third has more melee bite and could put 30 wounds of dudes into combat, but I'd worry about units being too big when they reach me.

Any advice or suggestions? Which do you guys think is the most solid?

• Like 1

On 10/31/2018 at 5:02 AM, GM_Monkey said:

I will usually use Realm Wanderer on a Waywatcher or a unit of Sisters of the Watch because of the benefits those warscrolls have when they do not move normally. Sisters of the Thorn would get an honorable mention, particularly when you have a Realm Spell or Endless Spell to unleash with them and need to get in range quickly (especially for a first turn Soulsnare Shackles).

I find myself not taking Stalker any more. At some point I want to try it combined with the Wending Wand for maximum movement options but as-is I'm afraid it will give a single unit a huge burst of speed but then leave it either isolated or out of position or both.

I have found that Singer of Spells is fantastic on a Spellweaver general and makes her a really potent magical force on the battlefield, giving her some decent sustaining power to go alongside her single Ancient Blessings trump card.

More commonly I've taken a Waywatcher general and found great use out of both Eagle-eyed and Masterful Hunter, though I prefer the +10" range because it maximizes your target options and almost guarantees he'll be able to shoot every turn at basically whatever you want him to anywhere on the board (hard to stay 38" away from board edges).

If taking the Nomad Prince as general, I find Myst-Walker very useful for keeping him alive when you've taken the battalion and want to get him within 12" of some dangerous foes (and provides for fun shenanigans when you haven't). Bubble wrap the Prince with Eternal Guard and he'll be able to swing his 2" reach attacks at foes that cannot even attack back until they chew through the Guard. 

On 10/31/2018 at 8:34 AM, DionTheWanderer said:

maybe a command point charge re-roll

I like the idea of counter-charging rangers coming off a board edge into the flank, they're a fantastic but somewhat challenging-to-use unit and it's incredibly satisfying when you can keep them alive and use them well. The issue with using a command point to reroll their charge post Realm Wanderer is it would be hard, depending on the circumstances, to have a hero within 6" or your general within 12" of them after they've teleported away. That or they haven't teleported very far.

Cogs could be interesting, but you would have to be pretty fearless to bring them to the table with a Wanderer army as they generally would benefit them other army more (most of the time). With the right timing on the activation it could work though. Would love to see a Eternal Guard/Wildwood Rangers/Wild Riders-heavy army try that!

• Thanks 1

@overtninja I think you've got solid lists cooked up here all around. I've not had the chance to face Nighthaunt much just yet, but in a relatively small game against them I believe your Sisters of the Watch will be your MVPs regardless of which list you choose. Therefore, I would pick the list based on how you plan to use them. They would benefit massively from the Nomad Prince's Lord of the Deepwood Host command, allow them to reroll fully half of their misses under normal circumstances. However this would require keeping them within 8" of the Prince, and you may not be deploying either the Prince or the Sisters in the optimal positions at that point. So it's consistency of damage vs optimal positioning - the way I would normally use the Sisters (especially in such a small game) is Realm Wanderer them far around the flank and force my opponent to choose to divert some or all of his forces chasing after my most powerful unit, knowing it will 'disappear' in my next movement phase, or continue towards my main force and/or the objective and let the Sisters fire with impunity. If he's running some of the faster Nighthaunt stuff or is smart enough to hold some back for a 'deepstrike' this could be a risky strategy however, especially if you face a potential double turn early on. 

I might also recommend considering the Forget-me-knot on the Nomad Prince instead of the Relic Blade if you do take him, while the Relic Blade gives your list some much needed extra punch, the Forget-me-knot can often result in a dead enemy hero instead of a dead Nomad Prince. Depends on what enemy hero(es) you expect to face though. Remember you can also give a Nomad Prince a Starcaster Longbow as well, another option always worth considering. Or give the Wayfinder the Starcaster Longbow to split your opponents focus a bit.

@awcamawn Thanks man! I think I'll probably use the bow on the wayfinder, as I'm pretty sure I'll want to shoot off the heroes asap - they seem to be the real workhorses of the Nighthaunt army. Pulling them apart is probably the best bet - with the sisters out on one table edge, the prince and bunker in the middle and the wayfinder noodling around the other side, they'll be pretty hard-pressed to catch all of them. Have to see how things play out - hopefully I'll get a few games in!

• Like 1

I managed to play two games today! One impromptu doubles match with 1k armies, and the other at 500, which was basically a learning game, since he didn't have his Nighthaunt codex yet. In the 500 points game I brought the list above, but it ended up being super close, with both my EG units being down to 2 or 3 models, my nomad prince managing to escape combat with 1 wound after fighting off the mounted swordghost hero and the scary horsehead scythe guys, and the SotW performing admirably throughout. They are easily the best unit in the whole damn army,

The second game was a nail-biter - I scraped together a 1k list with basically everything I had on me and played doubles allied with a nurgle player, who brought a great unclean one and a lot of gross fat soldiers, and we faced off against a Khorne Bloodbound list with Khul, double bitey cannons, and a lot of progressively angrier men with massive wound generation; and a Tzeench army with a giant demon bird, angry bird men, men cosplaying as angry bird men, an ogre mage guy, and a dude with a fork covered with eyes for a head. The whole game came down to Korgus not sending the GUO into the warp with a single wound from his axe - fortunately hemissed his 5+ 'get dunked on' roll and was spattered by the GUO's sword. Having all that fatness to block the melee let me shoot with impunity and shuffle my dudes across the field with the Wanderers allegiance ability, which let me get my SotW into ideal firing position and shoot whole units off the board (wounding on twos against Chaos is no joke, my goodness). True MVPs of the game, for obvious reasons.

Also, Dryads are incredible in AoS if they fight in cover. They held up Khorne melee for multiple rounds when that wouldn't have been remotely possible in WHF. Anyway, both games were really enjoyable, fast-paced, and really friendly! I'm very happy that AoS works as well first-hand as it looks to in videos.

Now I'm all energized to paint my army and get to work building to 2.5k!

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 2

I played a couple 2k point matches yesterday and got some renewed faith in my Wanderers. List I ran was as follows 

-Waystone Pathfinders

-Nomad Prince

-Spellweaver

-waywatcher (General)

-waywatcher 

-Wayfinder

-30 glade guard 

-30 glade guard 

-20 eternal guard 

-10 sisters of the watch

-5 wild riders

-5 wild riders 

1st match: was total commitment (56 GHB). It was against a beast of chaos player. Managed to use the arcane Bodkins on a chimera and unit of dragon ogres to level the playing field. Match went into the 5th battle round and was SUPER close, I did not win but definitely could have save for a few mistakes; largest being forgetting to shoot with my Wayfinder in a turn on his dragon ogre Shaggoth who had 1 wound left, and did a lot of damage before he died. 

2nd match was against Sylvaneth. Battle plan was take and hold from the core book. t was Deployed everything into reserves and then once again used the 30 GG to level the playing field. They managed to snipe away Durthu on a lucky series, and take out an entire unit of kurnoth hunters with bows. The sylvaneth player cleverly saved up his command points and use the Wyldwoods to move a blob of Dryads on my point on the 4th battle round and managed to charge them in and take my point. 

All in all very satisfied with the matches as they were extremely close. While the lists they ran weren’t extremely competitive, they weren’t push over lists either. The 30-man units of glade guard definitely made themselves worth the 360 points in these matches. 

Now I just need need more SotW when I go against night haunt. 

• Like 1

SotW are pretty fantastic, and are a steal at 180. they'll pull their weight far more than a 30-strong block of glade guard will, I think. I'm thinking of running two blocks of 10 at 2k and 2.5k, so I can cover the whole field with them without having to move them. Two units would cost the same as a block of 30 GG, even. Super good tradeoff - and the models are much cooler.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, overtninja said:

SotW are pretty fantastic, and are a steal at 180. they'll pull their weight far more than a 30-strong block of glade guard will, I think. I'm thinking of running two blocks of 10 at 2k and 2.5k, so I can cover the whole field with them without having to move them. Two units would cost the same as a block of 30 GG, even. Super good tradeoff - and the models are much cooler.

Mate, run three units of ten ;)

@Warboss Gorbolg I think the Art I have seen used to promote the audiobook is recycled: It depicts a Glade Lord who is also on the Cover of the latest old Wood Elves Codex and the other Artwork shows a crouching Waywatcher
This new Art has something else to its style - the armor is different, (just look at this gorgeous leg armor) the antlers at the Helmet are more subtle, he even carries a small bag ❤️ 
Actually it wasn't my good Eyesight but rather the  Age of Sigmar Wanderer Facebook Group that spotted this. ?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gwill_of_the_Woods said:

I also feel so uplifted when I hear any mention of Wanderers in AoS lore.

I genuinely thought they were phsed out, but it's encouraging that they are releasing narrative content.

Also, I enjoyed Sands of Grief.

I was talking to an opponent at a tournament this weekend, and he mentioned that the Wanderers get some mentions in the Beastmen of Chaos book in the lore section.

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1