AoS 2 - Wanderers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Had a tournament practice game last night (who finished deployment gets +1 to go first, no roll off for turns, no endless spells or realm artifacts) against seraphim. Played knife to the heart.

He had

Slaan 

Banner Saurus

Battalion of big dinos with rerolls consisting of

2 bastiladons with Crystal's

3 kroxigors

Engine of gods 

A razordon and handlers

3 units of 10 skinks

2 units of 5 chameleon skinks

I had

Waystone pathfinders

Nomad prince

Spell weaver

2 waywatchers

1 waystrider

30 glade guard

3 units of 10 sisters of the watch

5 wild riders

5 sisters of the thorn.

I took the first turn killed some skinks (took 1 unit out completly) and put 6 wounds on a bastiladon. Put my wild riders near my back objective with 10 sisters.

His first turn he built up summon points, failed to teleport, summoned 20 skinks from the engine, shot both bastiladons at my glade guard and took out 14 (yay). I spent a cp to hold with the glade guard.

Turn two I summoned back 3 glade guard, put shield of thorns on a sister unit, popped reroll ones and -1 to hit. I sent a unit of sisters up behind his lines. Pushed my wild riders onto my objective. I shot the bodkins and waywatchers at the Krox and killed 1 (yay) and put a wound on his slaan, managed to put down 10 summoned skinks and 6 more ran. I charged some skinks with my waystrider and killed 3 before they popped away instead of fighting.

His turn he got all the summon points and summoned up a old blood on carnisaur and put it 9 away from the sisters behind his lines. He moved his squad of skinks off his objective and moved all his big dinos over, he also moved up his krox to threaten my waywatchers. Shooting killed more glade guard. He failed his carnisaur charge (even with a reroll and +1) skinks charged waystrider, krox charged waywatcher. Big lot of nothing in combat.

My third turn I shot his krox in the hero phase and moved a waywatcher behind his lines 3" away from my sister unit. Who moved and ran 5" (changed to a 6" with on the double) and auto won the game.

Talking with him after (after some ribbing about not being able to beat wanderers) he admitted to being to greedy and forgetting that I can realm wander. Also failing a charge with his carnisaur and doing nothing with his razordon helped massively. 

Was a fun game, and my shooting did give him abit of a touch up, bastiladons are crazy good, killing a slaan is harder then it looks, still love my sisters and waywatchers.

Edited by adreal
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Aezeal said:

He can summon a carnasaur in/every 2 turns?

And how the hell can he leave his objective undefended

He didn't summon in turn 1 with summon points, he used the engine to bring in 20 skinks

And he moved the skinks off but had the engine of the gods there, then when he realised his mistake he said "I really dont know what my plan was there, skinks couldnt have killed him"

It was a very silly mistake,  but he also didnt realise that I could wander a hero up and auto run six inches. Even though we went through all the stuff at the beginning of the game.

I got lucky and he made a huge blunder, so good natured ribbing about not being able to beat wanderers happened, and hopefully will continue next weekend

• Like 1

3 hours ago, adreal said:

He didn't summon in turn 1 with summon points, he used the engine to bring in 20 skinks

And he moved the skinks off but had the engine of the gods there, then when he realised his mistake he said "I really dont know what my plan was there, skinks couldnt have killed him"

It was a very silly mistake,  but he also didnt realise that I could wander a hero up and auto run six inches. Even though we went through all the stuff at the beginning of the game.

I got lucky and he made a huge blunder, so good natured ribbing about not being able to beat wanderers happened, and hopefully will continue next weekend

So.. every 2 turns he can summon a carnosaur? 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, adreal said:

Yes, he gets 9 points from the slaan and then d3 from the banner, which he rolled 3 for each turn (though his teleports were 1s and 2s so balance)

Would it not be better then to target the Slann first.  Squeeze a third Waywatcher in and gang up. With their range and small footprint you should be able to drop them all within range straight away.  

He had a razordon sitting in his back line so I couldnt pop in behind his lines first turn

He had the slaan and astrolith banner sitting in a building with 10 skinks on the objective. Ten skinks on either flank to push my deployment further out of his zone so I couldnt get range (except for with eagle eyes waywatcher) and a razordon locking down the back. Then his big three monsters sitting up front with chameleons hiding to rush my objective in his turn 3.

6 hours ago, Aezeal said:

Sounds like the rematch (now he knows your army) might be tough...

The plan will be to get him drunk and play to the objectives as much as possible.

Also glade guard will try to hunt slaan because they were wasted against bastiladons 

Hey all,

I've been toying around with the following list but I'm not entirely sure about including the Phoenix Guard or the Namarti Thralls, an replacement option is the frostheart phoenix another is 2x5 reavers. I'm open for other ideas too, what do you suggest?

Allegiance: Wanderers
LEADERS
Nomad Prince (80)
Spellweaver (100)
Wayfinder (100)
Waystrider (80)
- Artefact : Relic Blade
Waywatcher (120)
- General
- Command Trait : Stalker of the Hidden Paths
- Artefact : Viridescent Shawl
UNITS
20 x Glade Guard (240)
10 x Sisters of the Watch (180)
5 x Wild Riders (120)
5 x Wild Riders (120)

10 x Phoenix Guard (140)
- Allies
10 x Namarti Thralls (140)
- Allies

BATTALIONS
Waystone Pathfinders (200)
ENDLESS SPELLS
Soulsnare Shackles (20)

Edited by Stalth

8 minutes ago, adreal said:

Mainly saying this because wayfinders make me sad, I would drop the shackles and make the wayfinder a waywatcher

Main idea of it was to slow down the opponents to reach my units and shoot them down meanwhile

Edited by Stalth

6 hours ago, Stalth said:

've been toying around with the following list but I'm not entirely sure about including the Phoenix Guard or the Namarti Thralls, an replacement option is the frostheart phoenix another is 2x5 reavers. I'm open for other ideas too, what do you suggest?

Are you using allies because those are the only  models available or is it a thematic choice?

I've used 10 Thralls plus a Soulscryer as part of a Mixed Order army as a reinforcement squad to come in mid-game and that works well.  You would have to drop the Phoenix Guard to do it, though.  With the 40 pts saved and the 20 from the Shackles, you could make both the Wayfinder and Waystrider into Waywatchers which are much better, as @adreal said.

Just now, Aelfric said:

Are you using allies because those are the only  models available or is it a thematic choice?

I've used 10 Thralls plus a Soulscryer as part of a Mixed Order army as a reinforcement squad to come in mid-game and that works well.  You would have to drop the Phoenix Guard to do it, though.  With the 40 pts saved and the 20 from the Shackles, you could make both the Wayfinder and Waystrider into Waywatchers which are much better, as @adreal said.

Only models I have but I also can include a soulscryer, thanks for the idea :)

On 8/10/2018 at 3:19 PM, adreal said:

Had a tournament practice game last night (who finished deployment gets +1 to go first, no roll off for turns, no endless spells or realm artifacts) against seraphim. Played knife to the heart.

He had

Slaan 

Banner Saurus

Battalion of big dinos with rerolls consisting of

2 bastiladons with Crystal's

3 kroxigors

Engine of gods 

A razordon and handlers

3 units of 10 skinks

2 units of 5 chameleon skinks

I had

Waystone pathfinders

Nomad prince

Spell weaver

2 waywatchers

1 waystrider

30 glade guard

3 units of 10 sisters of the watch

5 wild riders

5 sisters of the thorn.

I took the first turn killed some skinks (took 1 unit out completly) and put 6 wounds on a bastiladon. Put my wild riders near my back objective with 10 sisters.

His first turn he built up summon points, failed to teleport, summoned 20 skinks from the engine, shot both bastiladons at my glade guard and took out 14 (yay). I spent a cp to hold with the glade guard.

Turn two I summoned back 3 glade guard, put shield of thorns on a sister unit, popped reroll ones and -1 to hit. I sent a unit of sisters up behind his lines. Pushed my wild riders onto my objective. I shot the bodkins and waywatchers at the Krox and killed 1 (yay) and put a wound on his slaan, managed to put down 10 summoned skinks and 6 more ran. I charged some skinks with my waystrider and killed 3 before they popped away instead of fighting.

His turn he got all the summon points and summoned up a old blood on carnisaur and put it 9 away from the sisters behind his lines. He moved his squad of skinks off his objective and moved all his big dinos over, he also moved up his krox to threaten my waywatchers. Shooting killed more glade guard. He failed his carnisaur charge (even with a reroll and +1) skinks charged waystrider, krox charged waywatcher. Big lot of nothing in combat.

My third turn I shot his krox in the hero phase and moved a waywatcher behind his lines 3" away from my sister unit. Who moved and ran 5" (changed to a 6" with on the double) and auto won the game.

Talking with him after (after some ribbing about not being able to beat wanderers) he admitted to being to greedy and forgetting that I can realm wander. Also failing a charge with his carnisaur and doing nothing with his razordon helped massively. 

Was a fun game, and my shooting did give him abit of a touch up, bastiladons are crazy good, killing a slaan is harder then it looks, still love my sisters and waywatchers.

With your experience using this list do you ever feel vulnerable having so few melee units or does the shooting and battalion make up for it?

3 hours ago, Cambot1231 said:

With your experience using this list do you ever feel vulnerable having so few melee units or does the shooting and battalion make up for it?

Combat is a big part of this game, and my list is lacking in it, I think a squad of wildwood rangers instead of a squad of sisters would do wonders, as I usually have a sister unit off on it's own for objectives not shooting, having some combat potential wouldnt be a bad thing.

That being said, we are a shooting army (not a great one mind, but still), so I doubled down on the shooting aspect

So actually played in the tournament this weekend.

It was small, only 6 players, but 2k and the only soft list was a stormcast eternal army.

I lost 3 games and won 2.

Played the lizardmen army first up, major loss here but, I killed 1300 points of seraphon (most of it was summoned). I deployed poorly with two units of sisters and it cost me the game, he got to run away with objective points. So while I may have had a objectivly weaker army, I lost due to my deployment error. Was a fun game, killed two summoned bastiladons which are crazy.

Second game was against a grand alliance order army which should be free people but they took away they are artillery.

Anyways I deployed 2 units onto a objective when I just needed one, so I threw a unit away, the game stayed close until turn 4 when he pumped out 9 mortal wound on my sisters of the thorn which removed my ability to control more then 1 objective and he managed to run away with points. Wild riders did kill his general in Griffin, so yay :)

game 3 was against legion of sacrament,  got a win cause I mainly sat on objectives and he was too worried about my shooting to move up, so I got a early lead and kept it.

game 4 was against the same legion player (small tournie) but I couldnt put anything in reserve due to the mission. I got another win here, and kept his units tied up or kept alive at 4 or 5 models to stop him bringing back big blobs of 40 until the last turn when I polished off alot of the smaller units. Though he did get unlucky with his morghast death star (4 of them) in that he whiffed and I just shot them down the next turn, and failing two charges in turn 2 ment I controlled his combats and stalled his black knights for 3 turns.

game 5 was against Skyre skaven with 12 stormfiends....he only won due to some positioning around objectives and burning 1 for 3 points. Was a very fun game that came down to the last turn. 

all up the tournie was a ton of fun, and made me love my wanderers, you have to play smart with them, and think about positioning alot, but yeah, lots of fun and I almost came 2nd which would have been nice

• Like 3

12 hours ago, adreal said:

*snip*

Thanks for another right up. Been lurking around trying to get ideas for starting my own wanderers at 1k (primarily for use in doubles with my girlfriends DoK). I really love the style of going pure ranged. May expand out into 2k at some point as well, so do you have anything more you would change in your list competitively? Does it generally work well to deploy a unit with RW and to get their shots off and then have then back out before anything charges you?

Thinking of doing this myself for 1k, not sure on realm artifacts outside of just the allegiance ones. Thoughts?

Allegiance: Wanderers
Waywatcher (120)
- General
- Trait: Stalker of the Hidden Paths 
Nomad Prince (80)
Waystrider (80)
- Artefact: Forget-me-knot 
30 x Glade Guard (360)
10 x Sisters of the Watch (180)
10 x Sisters of the Watch (180)

Total: 1000 / 1000

Before the tournament I would have swapped the waystrider in my list for a third waywatcher. But now, for 80 points I can throw him on a flank and use him to tie stuff up.

Over the weekend he struggled to damage a white king, killed (but held up) 4 black knights and took out a stormfiend, and survived 2d3 mortal wounds holding up the last stormfiend from killing a unit of sisters.

I like the command trait I took (eagle eyes) but there were times stalker could have helped, but honestly, I was very happy with how my list went. I doubled down on shooting, 4 games out of 5 I went for a wander and apart from some silly mistakes I held my own.

Honestly, I would just like a spell lore and some more relics to choose from

• Like 2

2 hours ago, adreal said:

Before the tournament I would have swapped the waystrider in my list for a third waywatcher. But now, for 80 points I can throw him on a flank and use him to tie stuff up.

Over the weekend he struggled to damage a white king, killed (but held up) 4 black knights and took out a stormfiend, and survived 2d3 mortal wounds holding up the last stormfiend from killing a unit of sisters.

I like the command trait I took (eagle eyes) but there were times stalker could have helped, but honestly, I was very happy with how my list went. I doubled down on shooting, 4 games out of 5 I went for a wander and apart from some silly mistakes I held my own.

Honestly, I would just like a spell lore and some more relics to choose from

I am assuming you used the same list as for your practice game.  if so, what did you use the 60pts left over for - was it an extra command point or some endless spells?  Also what artefacts did you go for in the end? 

I would love a Wanderers spell lore too - maybe one day.

With the 86 ( or thereabouts) realm relics, I think we have loads to choose from - but I still take Forget-me-knot and Viridescent Shawl.  The good realm relics all seem geared for big wound melee beatsticks and we don't have any. It would be nice to have a few missile weapon relics in the mix, but it seems that GW are shying away from anything that enhances missile fire at the moment.  At least they gave us missile appropriate traits - I'm favouring Masterful Hunter at the moment.

20 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

I am assuming you used the same list as for your practice game.  if so, what did you use the 60pts left over for - was it an extra command point or some endless spells?  Also what artefacts did you go for in the end? 

I would love a Wanderers spell lore too - maybe one day.

With the 86 ( or thereabouts) realm relics, I think we have loads to choose from - but I still take Forget-me-knot and Viridescent Shawl.  The good realm relics all seem geared for big wound melee beatsticks and we don't have any. It would be nice to have a few missile weapon relics in the mix, but it seems that GW are shying away from anything that enhances missile fire at the moment.  At least they gave us missile appropriate traits - I'm favouring Masterful Hunter at the moment.

Yeah I used the same list, and just took the extra command point, in pretty much every game having that extra cp in my list helped alot.

As this tournament didn't use any extended realm rules or malign sorcery I just had our 6 to go with, I took the splinterbirch blade on my nomad prince (this I would change as he barely saw combat) and the shawl on my spellweaver (fantastic, easily our best relic).

I took eagle eyes on a waywatcher which I ended up making use of in every game, so I was very happy with that choice, even though stalker would have helped every now and then (last game against skaven especially)

On 8/16/2018 at 4:21 AM, Stalth said:

I'm not entirely sure about including the Phoenix Guard or the Namarti Thralls,

After David Guymer tweeted about including Wardancers in a Deepkin army for his upcoming novel I've been thinking about allying 30 Namarti Thralls and using my Wardancer models.  They wouldn't get the synergy but they would have nice offence.  

15 minutes ago, Popisdead said:

After David Guymer tweeted about including Wardancers in a Deepkin army for his upcoming novel I've been thinking about allying 30 Namarti Thralls and using my Wardancer models.  They wouldn't get the synergy but they would have nice offence.  

Having read the rules for them they seem perfect.

Add on some Harlequin eldar heads or maybe escher gangers and you're ready to roll!

• Like 1