AoS 2 - Wanderers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

On 7/18/2019 at 11:42 AM, GM_Monkey said:

The problem is Phoenix Guard versus Eternal Guard is an unfair comparison without taking points into account. (10 PG are 120, 10 EG are 70).

PG are elite infantry 3+ 3+ with a 4+ save. They compare to Wildwood Rangers, or Swordmasters (stats and points wise). They have the most durability of the lot but lack the rend for a decent punch.

EG are cheap road blocks that have no real punch at all. They serve the role of getting in peoples way and then castling up to make them durable, but they are no where near as durable as PG that is until you compare 20 EG to 10 PG (140 pts to 120 pts) Now they have the same number of attacks, but EG have 20 wounds to PG 10. The Ward save actually make this more equal as the PG really get 15 wounds (10 + 50% saved) but the biggest thing missing is the Wanderer key word. Without that the Battalion is more difficult to fill, battleline is missing and you lose the rerolls 1+ from the nomad prince and -1 to hit from the Waywatcher.

Having seen your list you've made on the other thread, I'm surprised you're still trying to fit that battalion in with a big block of PG. It just soaks up the points and makes it tough forcing you to split the Glade guard and make them less effective. They work best in groups of 30. Personnally I would just go general order allegiance and go made with all the other aelven options.

Thats why we were comparing 10 PG with 20 EG ( which at the time of the post were same point values)

Its all true what you wrote about EG. Maybe except same amount of attacks - its harder to pile in 20models .

But Its not that they are better than the other. Each are better are certain things - and instead of having next unit of EG filling same role, for certain armies it could benefit much more to bring PG.

I mean, I was already building a Living City force with a lot of Wanderers in it, so that will be even better. Still sad that we will probably never see a Wanderers Battletome and most likely no Aelves Battletome. They also say some Order Units will be phased out later this year. So we’ll see if it hits some Wanderers units. But I think it’s really good to see that Wanderers are featured very prominently on one photo on the Warhammer Community Open Day Live Blog.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Looking at photo from live blog i think its pretty obvious at this moment that wanderers gonna be in that shared book, and we can stop hoping for wanderers battletome at least for a year or two.

Its A pity but at the same time its good something moved with wanderers.

Iv seen a post on one of my local forums saying "with new rules for 2019 Wanderers should go up in competetive ranking"  Any idea what rule changes they are talking about ?

• Haha 1

I think we can expect our heroes being canned if we're getting wrapped into factions with large numbers of plastic heroes already and I doubt we'll be getting anything new to replace it. Kinda disappointing as it will no doubt remove some of the flavour of being 'wanderers' unless they do endless spells, spell lores and scenery for each of the 7 factions in the book.... However we should get some fleshed out abilities and hopefully adjusted scrolls so there is that

• Sad 1

I hate this cities of sigmar book. I saw people all the time saying they need to just throw all the elves and dwarves and humans in one book because, and I quote, they arent distinct enough.

No what GW needs to do is support the armies with AT LEAST rules. But no, that would take release time away from the 4th slightly different golden armored dude that you know we will get by the end of the year. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

"Season 3 can now be officially named – welcome to Warhammer Underworlds: Beastgrave! Bringing the ultimate competitive miniatures game to the heart of a living mountain in Ghur, the Realm of Beasts, we’re incredibly excited to see just what warbands and mechanics we can look forward to."

These look awfully Wood-elfy! ;)

Aelfs in Realm of Beasts, Wild Hunters??? ...Please Kurnous!!! 

There's also a video : https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/07/20/the-warhammer-age-of-sigmar-open-day-2019-live-bloggw-homepage-post-1/ 

<iframe src='https://players.brightcove.net/5778310444001/tEqh4qwjNN_default/index.html?videoId=6061545295001' allowfullscreen frameborder=0></iframe> 

Note: I tried to link to the video on Warhammer Community.

AoSOpenDay-Jul20-Shadows7rgnd.jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Alexispolux said:

I expect centigor models they readded them into the beasts of chaos book but they have the old models still

Nah, Centigors don't look like Wild Riders, and these outlines do.  There definitely is going to be Beastmen, but those Centaurs are Elves.

Wow, lot's of new y'all. Pretty excited that we're getting support in a battletome, would have rather had a book all to ourselves but I guess sharing with the city-slickers is far, far better than nothing at all. A bit concerned for our metal heroes being relegated to Warhammer Legends, but no use worrying about it until we know more. And it's not like, rules wise, any of us would miss the Waystrider, for example (though the model is still awesome). It would be amazing if we actually get the warscroll rewrites that we need though (Wild Riders actually feeling like shock cavalry for one). The ability to include Sylvaneth units as fully part of a Living City army (not allies) could be very interesting. I could see myself adding Alarielle and even Drycha to my Wanderer collection for sure.

Very, very interested in all the rumors still swirling that we could be part of a Looncurse style battle box or that some of those silhouettes for the new season of Underworlds could be Wanderer related somehow. Plastic Wardancers in some form is all I could ever dream of. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Alexispolux said:

I think we can expect our heroes being canned if we're getting wrapped into factions with large numbers of plastic heroes already and I doubt we'll be getting anything new to replace it. Kinda disappointing as it will no doubt remove some of the flavour of being 'wanderers' unless they do endless spells, spell lores and scenery for each of the 7 factions in the book.... However we should get some fleshed out abilities and hopefully adjusted scrolls so there is that

If that's true and some of our hero's go, then that'll probably it for our warscroll battalion too... :(

Looking forward to something that lets wanderers sit safely in the Wyldwoods though.. and maybe GG hiting on a 3+? That would be awesome :)

I'm pretty sure the metal hero models will be phased out, but it's possible we may get a new sculpt for one of them.  It would be a bit weird to have no archer hero in a force renowned for it's archery skills.

The Glade Guard, I reckon, are going as they're an old sculpt.  No mention of Swifthawks, so it is possible that Shadow Warriors will replace them, gaining the Wanderers keyword, making the dual kit factional, and avoiding the need to make a replacement sculpt.

Personally, I am excited to see what's in this book - hopefully we won't have to wait too long.

There are only allegiance rules for 5 cities at the moment but they announced 7, so has anyone any thoughts on what the 2 new ones might be?  

2 hours ago, Aelfric said:

There are only allegiance rules for 5 cities at the moment but they announced 7, so has anyone any thoughts on what the 2 new ones might be?  

There were 7 cities from Firestorm - Hammerhal, Anvilgard, Tempest's Eye, Hallowheart, The Living City, Greywater Fastness, and The Phoenicium. Wanderers could be part of The Living City, Hammerhal, and Greywater Fastness - we'll see if the book makes any changes to which factions' units can be taken with which cities.

This was kinda interesting, in a breakdown of the news from Open Day the Warhammer Weekly guys ended up speculating about the future of Wanderers for a few minutes when they started talking about the Warhammer Underworlds teaser. They actually seemed pretty optimistic about future releases for us, here's link to where they start talking about Wanderers:

"They are going to get the 'Daughters of Khaine treatment.'" How cool would that be?!

Edited by awcamawn
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, awcamawn said:

There were 7 cities from Firestorm - Hammerhal, Anvilgard, Tempest's Eye, Hallowheart, The Living City, Greywater Fastness, and The Phoenicium. 

This was kinda interesting, in a breakdown of the news from Open Day the Warhammer Weekly guys ended up speculating about the future of Wanderers for a few minutes when they started talking about the Warhammer Underworlds teaser. They actually seemed pretty optimistic about future releases for us, here's link to where they start talking about Wanderers:

Thanks for that.  I never bought Firestorm, so thought the 7 included the Death and Destruction allegiances that were included.  Yes, the teaser for Underworlds looks pretty interesting from a Wanderers perspective.  I hope it leads to a a new tome along the lines of DoK, with new sculpts alongside existing ones with specific clans - that would be awesome. 

Which cities, beside the Living City, included Wanderers?

Just now, Aelfric said:

Which cities, beside the Living City, included Wanderers?

The Living City which was Dispossessed, Sylvaneth, SCE, and us; Hammerhal which is all order except for Seraphon; and strangely Greywater Fastness which is the heavily industrialized city whose allegiance focused on war machines. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, awcamawn said:

The Living City which was Dispossessed, Sylvaneth, SCE, and us; Hammerhal which is all order except for Seraphon; and strangely Greywater Fastness which is the heavily industrialized city whose allegiance focused on war machines. 

So Hammerhal for the Hurricanum then.  It will probably no longer be all of Order (except Seraphon) now though, but probably the only city to include all the factions rolled into the book.  So looking forward to mixing it up a little and getting some conversions done.  I have an Aelf bolt thrower chariot in box just waiting to be the base for a Hurricanum or Luminark.  

If we get a battletome on top of this, I will be penniless :) 

I've just had a thought.  If we are getting centaurs, are they Wanderer souls that escaped from Slaanesh and, if so, which God was involved? Has Kurnoth been stealing souls from under the nose of the other four?  It's unlikey to be Alarielle, given her grievances.  I would love it to be Lileath's daughter, aided by Araloth, in some revelatory new lore, but that's just wishful thinking.

• Like 2

Hmm the metal heroes going would be quite problematic to pure wanderer players, considering they all just got points in the GHB though it would be odd to suddenly remove them altogether - it would leave the faction with just the nomad prince! 

I love the idea of the centaurs but when wild riders exist they almost feel, redundant??