AoS 2 - Wanderers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

On 9/21/2020 at 12:14 AM, cyberhawk94 said:

Threw together a "2.0" battletome as a thought expiriment, if anyone is interested Id love some feedback. 

https://www.gmbinder.com/share/-MGypR8dWMubQ90Ld16h

Note: Was shooting for a lower power level, homebrew should err on the side of under rather than overpowered. Also was trying to keep as close as possible to the published wanderers rules (thus the same command traits and such) other than changing things to unmodified / wholly within, etc.

I like this a lot. The hail of Doom Arrow is a really nice change. I made some notes a while ago for a Homebrew battletome, I will share if you want to adopt any ideas or anything like that from the notes I made as a starting point. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-GOLScMwAk-SLd5H2uhGPMiFddAtBwHeXxC8ec9xSRo/edit

I definitely think you should add a Waystone terrain feature. It would allow for some really cool modeling possibilities, true to the Wanderers lore, and could be tactically fun to play with. I envisioned the terrain piece having 2 parts, a “site” and a “stone”. When Wanderers units move to the sites and the controlling player places the stone part, and then you get an AoE buff or debuff in range of the stone. I pictured the following:

-wanderers can use Realm Wanderers to and from 6” of the stone as if it was a table edge. +1 to bravery and spell casting/unbinding while within 6”

- a realm-themed buff or debuff selected by the player or determined by the realm of battle (if any). 

My thought process was that, since the wanderers are nomads and travel around mostly on a mission to restore the broken ley lines with Waystones, it would allow for a) a cool terrain piece b) tactical Funtime c) hobby freedom/inspiration and d) a lore-appropriate buff that is in-line with newer armies! 

Of course you can do whatever you feel makes sense. Anyone reading (except GW)  has my full permission to use my notes for their own homebrew stuff. 

23 hours ago, Erosharcos said:

I definitely think you should add a Waystone terrain feature.

Oh that sounds great, maybe instead of a full "terrain" piece, do a gravesite-style set of markers that could be modeled if desired?

3 Waystones, placed after other terrain, only 1 can be in your territory. Either +1 to bravery and casting/unbinding + I rework that staff so you cant supercharge a spellsinger to +3, or maybe a 6+ FnP instead?  Other idea would be some form of side-goal where they can activate each and if they activate all 3 they get an army-wide buff (rest of the game LD 10, or like +1 CP each turn they have models near all 3). 

The only issue would be that quickly breaks the "keep it close to GW rules" plan, since currently Seeking  are just current wanderers with an extra command trait, battalions, and the pre-game move; but with terrain the whole army playstyle would change. 

Edited by cyberhawk94

Forgotten Waystones

After territories have been determined, but before any units have been set up, you may pick up to 1 point in your territory and up to 2 points anywhere on the battlefield to be waystones. You may wish to place suitable markers on these points. If there is a friendly WANDERERS model within 3" of a waystone, that waystone is considered "active". At the start of your hero phase, you can roll 1 dice for each active waystone, adding 1 to the roll per active waystone. For each result of 6+, you gain one command point. 

In addition, active Waystones have the following ability:

*Mystical Aura:* Roll a dice each time you allocate a wound or mortal wound to a friendly WANDERERS unit wholly within 6" of this waystone. On a 6+ the wound or mortal wound is negated.

So small areas of the board where you get a 6++, and the ability to boost your command points up (if you control all 3 points you get 3 4+ rolls)

Edited by cyberhawk94

16 minutes ago, cyberhawk94 said:

Forgotten Waystones

After territories have been determined, but before any units have been set up, you may pick up to 1 point in your territory and up to 2 points anywhere on the battlefield to be waystones. You may wish to place suitable markers on these points. If there is a friendly WANDERERS model within 3" of a waystone, that waystone is considered "active". At the start of your hero phase, you can roll 1 dice for each active waystone, adding 1 to the roll per active waystone. For each result of 6+, you gain one command point. 

In addition, active Waystones have the following ability:

*Mystical Aura:* Roll a dice each time you allocate a wound or mortal wound to a friendly WANDERERS unit wholly within 6" of this waystone. On a 6+ the wound or mortal wound is negated.

So small areas of the board where you get a 6++, and the ability to boost your command points up (if you control all 3 points you get 3 4+ rolls)

Feels like the closest comparison would be the Sylvaneth "places of power" rule. So the most direct translation would be something like "pick 3 pieces of terrain (1 in your territory, 1 in your opponents territory and 1 anywhere outside of either player's territory). These terrain pieces become waystones and gain the mystical and commanding terrain features for WANDERERS units only." Then something something about the bonus for owning multiple. 

I wonder if the +1 to the dice roll applying to the commanding AND the mystical saves would be too much?

I mean realistically how often are you gonna control 3 points on the map at the same time spread over the entire map? I imagine the prime strategy would be to select some out of the way piece of terrain on your opponents board edge but then it creates a flavorful question of whether they can keep you from activating the waystones and furthermore that's then one or two units who are gonna be pretty far from the main battle just so that you can more securely hold one other piece of terrain. It's actually a pretty fitting playstyle reminiscent of Athel Loren of old. Outsider forces that only go out to secure the world roots while the majority of your army sits in the "castle" which in this case is kind of a forest and they defend it very well if and only if they are fighting in their forest. 

6 hours ago, The Red King said:

Feels like the closest comparison would be the Sylvaneth "places of power" rule. So the most direct translation would be something like "pick 3 pieces of terrain (1 in your territory, 1 in your opponents territory and 1 anywhere outside of either player's territory). These terrain pieces become waystones and gain the mystical and commanding terrain features for WANDERERS units only." Then something something about the bonus for owning multiple. 

I agree terrain pieces would make sense, except that some boards dont have any passable terrain like forests and only have buildings and such, and the "outisde of either players territory" doesnt work on a lot of battleplans where each territory is half the board

• 4 months later...

I'm so mad this has no use in my living cities army T_T

That said this hits all the notes I want in my wood elves. The armor and clothes have a classic feel and the antlers are really cool to me though I'm sure some might dislike it.

I could've sworn the new oak of ages got corrupted by nurgle though, am I mistaken?

Edited by The Red King
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, The Red King said:

I'm so mad this has no use in my living cities army T_

I could've sworn the new oak of ages got corrupted by nurgle though, am I mistaken?

How do you know that?  She could proxy as a SotW champion.  We haven't seen the warscroll.  She is an aelf after all.

I think it exists as an "indestrucable" in the lore to tie in the old world's magic/ last remnant.

8 minutes ago, Popisdead said:

How do you know that?  She could proxy as a SotW champion.  We haven't seen the warscroll.  She is an aelf after all.

I think it exists as an "indestrucable" in the lore to tie in the old world's magic/ last remnant.

I mean sure, she could be another Gotrek but with current info I have no use for her other than really wanting the sculpt. 

As for the oak I knew it existed but I could've sworn in one book or another it got corrupted and wanted to know if anyone could point me towards it.

I'm not genuinely upset, me and a friend who loves undead are getting this box either way.

But basically that would be like someone giving me a really nice self cleaning cat litter box and me saying "oh thanks this is amazing but I dont have a cat" when they are actually planning on giving me a cat too but they didnt tell me. I'm basing my reaction on the information of what use this model CURRENTLY has to me.