AoS 2 - Wanderers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

I'd personally really like it if it were more Wanderers or Kurnothi or something - I noticed today that the CoS battleline requirements say 'requires a Wanderer general' for many Wanderer units, which strikes me as future-proofing for potential releases moving forward. It would be great if some of the factions that had many of their heroes culled (like Wanderers) got a new hero or something - personally I'd love a mounted option!

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 2

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, 

I'm preparing a 2 days tournament. I need some meta breaking army because I need to get some wins for improve my personal rank (national ladder), so I m moving into wanderers again.

What do you think about this list:

Allegiance: Wanderers
- Mortal Realm: Hysh
LEADERS
Nomad Prince (120)
- General
- Command Trait : Myst Walker
Spellweaver (100)
- Heartwood Staff
- Artefact : Viridescent Shawl or Longbow/Quarz Brooch on prince - To be decided
Wayfinder (80)
Wayfinder (80)
Waystrider (80)
- Artefact : Forget-me-knot
UNITS
20 x Eternal Guard (260)
20 x Glade Guard (240)
20 x Glade Guard (240)
20 x Sisters of the Watch (320)
5 x Sisters of the Thorn (130)
5 x Wild Riders (130)
BATTALIONS
Waystone Pathfinders (160)
ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN / COMMAND POINTS
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (60)

TOTAL: 2000/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1 WOUNDS: 125
LEADERS: 5/6 BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 0/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4
ARTEFACTS: 2/2 ALLIES: 0/400

Suggestions/Questions open. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So, I've had Wanderers for a little while now. I love the models and started collecting them before CoS became a thing.

I thought that they were a shoe-in for the Living City, but I was overall disappointed with how they synergized in that city (granted, I've only built a little and haven't played them much.)

However, I started looking at their synergies with other cities and Tempest Eye looks like it could really compliment their play style.

Has anybody had more experience with either of the cities? What was your takeaway?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey, how are the Wanderers abilities compared to CoS? I love the Living City rules, but just would like to know if it's still viable to go Wanderers - the line of Hero models is amazing, particularly the Waystrider (Still my favorite sculpt, curse you Games Workshop!). Anyway, outside of a competitive format, would anyone be interested in working up some updates for the Wanderers? Particularly bringing the non-CoS stuff up to date. I've always wanted Glade Guard to be a bit more elite - maybe bettering their To Hit to 3+? Something to give them more shots, maybe? Wouldn't mind a points increase, and would only be playing with friends.

On 4/5/2020 at 5:48 AM, SonataIX said:

Hey! Just a question . Can the extra shot created by fast shot (on a 6+) can create other shot?

No, I'm afraid not. Source is the Core Rules Designer's Commentary page 2 which states that warscroll abilities override core rules from page 1-10. The core rule which prevents extra attacks from generating more extra attacks is located on page 14.

On 5/31/2020 at 7:16 AM, AthelLoren said:

Hey, how are the Wanderers abilities compared to CoS? I love the Living City rules, but just would like to know if it's still viable to go Wanderers - the line of Hero models is amazing, particularly the Waystrider (Still my favorite sculpt, curse you Games Workshop!). Anyway, outside of a competitive format, would anyone be interested in working up some updates for the Wanderers? Particularly bringing the non-CoS stuff up to date. I've always wanted Glade Guard to be a bit more elite - maybe bettering their To Hit to 3+? Something to give them more shots, maybe? Wouldn't mind a points increase, and would only be playing with friends.

short answer: CoS are vastly superior to Wanderer. Unless you want to play a pure Wanderer CoS army, which is probably one the worst possible CoS lists.

Wanderers don't have much going for them right now. The allegiance abilties are laughable. Retreat and shoot is garbage when everything is dead or doesn't want to move to gain bonus damage. The teleport ability is close to useless. It's only realistic use is in combination with the command trait to teleport freely and then only to make it look like you want to teleport a unit and forcing your opponent to secure his/her flanks with a unit or two. You almost never actually want to teleport. And even if you want to, CoS gives you much better options.

In my opinion, there are only two reasons to play with Wanderer allegiance.
1) Waywatchers are fantastic with the new Nomad Prince. If you get them in a central position in the first movement phase and let them stay there for the rest of the game, then their damage output is quite scary.
2) The Waystone Pathfinder battalion is decent. The one-drop and the protective volley is useful if the scenario allows you to focus your mainforce in the center of the map. The reserve rule is trash compared to the Living City and only usable in a few scenarios.

You may also find a lot of us are converting and happily playing Wanderers in LC (where they aren't terrible).

My GG have mostly female torso's so I'm greenstuffing some flames on their bows.  Same with Waywatchers.  I know some people use those as Shadow WArriors but SotW are to LC and AoS 2.0 to what GG were at the end of 6th.  Just solid scary shooting from 10-models.  

Plus I feel CoS is a converter's army.  You see steam-punk style stuff all the time.  I'm converting my Warhawk Riders to Gyrocopters by adding bitz to represent their attacks for LC.  I have uh. Decimators? but using some old Great Stag models.  It isn't uncommon to see stuff converted over from older editions.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/8/2020 at 4:49 PM, Popisdead said:

You may also find a lot of us are converting and happily playing Wanderers in LC (where they aren't terrible).

My GG have mostly female torso's so I'm greenstuffing some flames on their bows.  Same with Waywatchers.  I know some people use those as Shadow WArriors but SotW are to LC and AoS 2.0 to what GG were at the end of 6th.  Just solid scary shooting from 10-models.  

Plus I feel CoS is a converter's army.  You see steam-punk style stuff all the time.  I'm converting my Warhawk Riders to Gyrocopters by adding bitz to represent their attacks for LC.  I have uh. Decimators? but using some old Great Stag models.  It isn't uncommon to see stuff converted over from older editions.

Ow that great stag as some heavy cavalry from Stormcasts is a NICE idea. Same for warhawks/great eagles. Are gyro's a good thing for living city?

23 hours ago, Aezeal said:

Ow that great stag as some heavy cavalry from Stormcasts is a NICE idea. Same for warhawks/great eagles. Are gyro's a good thing for living city?

My understanding is they are.  Generally Multi-wound models are good in LC and they do MWs or the ability to really thin hordes (I cannot recall).

I play a wanderers list just for fun. Enjoy it very much. Essentially eternal guard backed up by sotw. But are the eternal guard not a bit OP? H/W/S ON 2/3/3.?!?! This is with the bonus of no move, but per turn. As long as you don't pile in, you don't move on your opponents turn. Two attacks each on twos and threes, too much no? 

Have you considered playing them in Living City?  They get drastically better particularly as that's a build similar to mine.

EG are good and could surprise people but they cost a lot for their points costs.  IF they were still 80 points sure,.. maybe but at their costs they are a good choice.

10 hours ago, Popisdead said:

Have you considered playing them in Living City?  They get drastically better particularly as that's a build similar to mine.

EG are good and could surprise people but they cost a lot for their points costs.  IF they were still 80 points sure,.. maybe but at their costs they are a good choice.

Yes I'm looking at that now. I was using a few spellweavers to heal up EG backed up with SOTW. Pretty basic plan. 

So, if I go for hallowheart, I can do the same with sorcerous' at d6 wounds rather than d3?! I'll take it. 

I should say that I play against a friend who is playing bretonnia knights. So his options are even more limited than pure wanderers!!

13 hours ago, Sam24 said:

Yes I'm looking at that now. I was using a few spellweavers to heal up EG backed up with SOTW. Pretty basic plan. 

So, if I go for hallowheart, I can do the same with sorcerous' at d6 wounds rather than d3?! I'll take it. 

I should say that I play against a friend who is playing bretonnia knights. So his options are even more limited than pure wanderers!!

That is sad yeah... You may want to house-rule keeping the old items if you guys are strict GHB 2020.  Seems like you have a lot of fun there.  I play Living City and Tempest Eye.  The latter make EG really good to book it forward, get the save, you can cast +1A on them then run the SotW behind and still shoot that first turn.   You can heal D6 in any city.  All of them are empowered.

• 1 month later...

Man, the more I get back into Sigmar the more annoyed I get with how GW treated Wanderers. The first big unit purge made sense, lots of old sculpts, legacy units etc. But the Cities update just dropping 80% of our characters and our main unit seems so unnecessary. Especially when you look at sub-factions like Skyre and Soulblight that kept 30 year old metal models as their battleline, but our plastic, already repackaged for sigmar, solid looking bowmen get the axe. 

Keep 1-2 more of the Wanderer heroes (Dark Elves got 4!) and the Glade Gaurd in the Cities book and I think every Wood Elf / Wanderer player out their would be more then content . Living City for old school tree spirit lists, Tempest's Eye and Hallowheart for flavors of elf lists, done. 

Edited by cyberhawk94
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, cyberhawk94 said:

Man, the more I get back into Sigmar the more annoyed I get with how GW treated Wanderers.

2 hours ago, Aloth_Corfiser said:

Yep, it pains me to say it - but I abandoned the Wanderers as a project shortly after I had the CoS Battletome. Occasinaly I play AoS with them - but I am still salty.
Right, Glade Guard wo where already repackeged....no Elf Hero with a Bow and Arrows.... It is just weird.
We have to try and get over it.

So . . . does that make this a good or a bad time to mention that I'm currently working on a set of custom rules for Wanderers, which I was thinking of posting once I had the first draft squared away?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, OkayestDM said:

So . . . does that make this a good or a bad time to mention that I'm currently working on a set of custom rules for Wanderers, which I was thinking of posting once I had the first draft squared away?

That is cool - I always love it when People follow their passion with Custom Rules. :) - But my passion is burnt up, sometimes I ponder on selling my Wanderers. 
Nonetheless, many others will appreciate it and will certainly have a great time. ;)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cyberhawk94 said:

Man, the more I get back into Sigmar the more annoyed I get with how GW treated Wanderers. The first big unit purge made sense, lots of old sculpts, legacy units etc. But the Cities update just dropping 80% of our characters and our main unit seems so unnecessary. Especially when you look at sub-factions like Skyre and Soulblight that kept 30 year old metal models as their battleline, but our plastic, already repackaged for sigmar, solid looking bowmen get the axe. 

Keep 1-2 more of the Wanderer heroes (Dark Elves got 4!) and the Glade Gaurd in the Cities book and I think every Wood Elf / Wanderer player out their would be more then content . Living City for old school tree spirit lists, Tempest's Eye and Hallowheart for flavors of elf lists, done. 

Expect the next Skaven release to seriously purge any old models from that range.  I'm unsure what BL is metal, perhaps Finecast and perhaps this is fairly unique?  Can you provide examples?  My understanding was the old Ork Buggy from 1992 was the oldest model in GWs range and that was removed a few years ago.  I don't know could have been made in 1990 that is still around, especially as BL.  

I turned my WE heroes into unit champions.  Waywatcher heroes became SotW champions and my WWs became Sot(way)W :)  Great Weapon hero became a Ranger champion, Mtd hero became a Wild Rider champion, Sword, Spear heroine became an Eternal Guard hero.  I've also scrounged around some SotW bows and heads and converted my GG into more SotW.  And made some Darkswords out of others.  Also I'm just using my WE dragon as a black dragon.  Just happens to be a green black dragon haha.  You just have to be creative and you get to keep your models :)

Also remember WE will be reimaged in AoS as Kurnothi so some Ungor bottom halves and GG tops will probably get you an army :D 

34 minutes ago, Aloth_Corfiser said:

That is cool - I always love it when People follow their passion with Custom Rules. :) - But my passion is burnt up, sometimes I ponder on selling my Wanderers. 
Nonetheless, many others will appreciate it and will certainly have a great time. ;)

It's cool a part of AoS people could explore more and what makes the setting the best.  You can literally make anything and it exists.  It doesn't have to fit the old Tolkien, Eternal Champion lore.  Play the game as you want, relax, have fun.  Make up custom rules and play narrative.  This is extra art in our lives.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Popisdead said:

I'm unsure what BL is metal, perhaps Finecast and perhaps this is fairly unique?  Can you provide examples?

The example is linked in my first comment, the Skryre Acolyte (one of only two battleline options for Skryre, and the only "pure" skryre one) comes as "a metal model in a blister pack" according to GW's website. It might not be a full 30 years old, but its definitely up there. 

I know I shouldn't care as much as I do, it just makes me real salty after what happened with Wood Elves in 8th that they still are the punching bag so much. They were so close to succeeding at Cities goal of keeping all the old fantasy armies around, with high elves the sole exception and still being able to have rules/units that fit them well, and the inclusion of just 2 additional warscrolls (Glade Guard + Waywatcher/Spellweaver) would have kept a whole nother army around, especially after them "gotcha"'d a bunch of new Wanderer players with the reboxing clearly signalling that Glade Guard were here to stay. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cyberhawk94 said:

The example is linked in my first comment, the Skryre Acolyte (one of only two battleline options for Skryre, and the only "pure" skryre one) comes as "a metal model in a blister pack" according to GW's website. It might not be a full 30 years old, but its definitely up there. 

I know I shouldn't care as much as I do, it just makes me real salty after what happened with Wood Elves in 8th that they still are the punching bag so much. They were so close to succeeding at Cities goal of keeping all the old fantasy armies around, with high elves the sole exception and still being able to have rules/units that fit them well, and the inclusion of just 2 additional warscrolls (Glade Guard + Waywatcher/Spellweaver) would have kept a whole nother army around, especially after them "gotcha"'d a bunch of new Wanderer players with the reboxing clearly signalling that Glade Guard were here to stay. 

Oops I guess I didn't get that since I don't Aren't those big rat ogre things BL?  surprising, and that is shocking they are metal.  Must have blisters still to sell :P

I think the issue was GG was a 4-man sprue and so packaging them as 20 countered the way they wanted Aelf units to play.  Plus their warscroll was pretty atrocious.  14 years later I guess they just 86ed them sadly and SotW became what GG should have been this edition.  They were dating too if you look at the new aesthetic of Aelves in 8th ed.  I recall reading a post by Hastings on Warseer saying GW was shifting the aesthetic for Aelves and we should see some drastic changes coming along.

I get your saltiness.  I think we've all been through it really hard at one time or another.  I've been collecting Wood Elves since 1987, had the 4th ed book, 6th ed book then suffered through some bad editions and then barely a year of play in 8th with a codex.  

It's a rough spot; sorry bud.

• 1 month later...

Threw together a "2.0" battletome as a thought expiriment, if anyone is interested Id love some feedback. 

https://www.gmbinder.com/share/-MGypR8dWMubQ90Ld16h

Note: Was shooting for a lower power level, homebrew should err on the side of under rather than overpowered. Also was trying to keep as close as possible to the published wanderers rules (thus the same command traits and such) other than changing things to unmodified / wholly within, etc.