AoS 2 - Wanderers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

In advance sorry for the rant, I hope it is appropriate here:
It is in all honesty pretty sad how sparse and contradictory the "official" Lore for the Wanderers has developed - it has been said before: potential was wasted.
I could not agree more with the posters above.
Perhaps it was folly to ecpect as much from the Book as I did, however to sum up the main gripes I  had:
-I wanted to know what these Ley Lines are - it wasn't explained anywhere and they begin to feel like a sorry Story MacGuffin, instead our Lore section explains how our units fight.... thanks a lot I know that already.
-That little background we get in the CoS Battletome seems to explain less than the paragraphs in the Core Book . At least in the Core book it is mentioned that the Wanderers flee through a certain Realmgate and the whole section is worded in a way that maybe not all Wanderers fled, because ceratin renegade Wanderers are mentioned.   (Owning the Book in a different language perhaps doesn't help 😅 ) --> the Realmgate mentioned is not on any map ...
-Having the Wanderers die to Nurgles Rot can be used as a convincing reason for them to flee - however this is not mentioned in the Tome and the whole Narrative leaves a sour taste -
-finally: The Aleves in the Living City are permitted to live in the outer districts (I laughed out loud when I read this) - this bit of info reads like "Go on invest in something else - perhaps this shiny new Sylvaneth..... "
However this could also have been used to create interesting story elements - (Anyone remember the racial Segregation in Dragon Age Origins and the pitiful conditions of the City Elves?)
I feel almost childish for writing this, but I care about lore in general - so  maybe this whole Age of Sigmar is not for me after all .... which is okay. But it hurts quite a bit when in the End you as a player get the impression that "your dudes" do not matter in the storytelling. I am totaly fine with the fact that they are not a "grand player" of a faction - however: When the lore contains almost insulting contradictions and comes across as half-hearted .... it is just sad. 

Edited by Aloth_Corfiser
  • Like 4

Well if my aelves aren't welcome in Ghyran they'll just have to re-settle some aelven ruins in Ulgu. So what if I use the Living City rules for them. So what if they are developing a strained relationship with the nearby Sylvaneth of the Gloomwood. Alarielle doesn't get to say what they can do or who they hang out with. What's Malerion up to? Does he want some new friends?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

The original concept for my wanderers had them tied to Ereth Khial. She had worshippers after all and unbeknownst to the Prince his wife was one of them. So when the end times came the clan fled into the Endless Vale. The Wood Elf underworld seeking shelter. There they wandered the endless bone tree groves for countless years until they lost all sense of self. One day however the distant sound of a hunting horn drew them from their fugue and they followed its call in pursuit of a pure white Stag who led them on a chase through and out of the underworld into the Mortal Realms. They now live as most of the wanderers do save the rare times when they are all drawn to some distant battlefield by the far off sound of a hunting horn that they believe is Kurnous himself. 

This was because I wasn't a huge fan of the death of the old wood elves lore and also to give them an interesting visual quirk when painting. They follow a pretty typical green and bronze color scheme but they have bleach white skin from their time in the underworld. They're like the Altansar of Wood Elves if we have any eldar players here. So yeah they and their Sylvaneth allies worship Kurnous rather than Alarielle who they believe has become imbalanced and fey without her Consort whom once took the burden of their wars so she could take the burden of their peace. So now they seek him, drawn by the sounds of his ever distant hunting horn in the hope that returning him to Alarielle will bring balance and peace back to their races.

That got longer than intended.

Maybe I should make an army blog. I've already got a decent chunk painted. Might motivate me to paint more... how does one make an army blog on here? Just like making a post?

Edited by The Red King
  • Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 1

Tumultuous times for Wanderers fans, y'all. I plan to stick with my pure Wanderers collection and there's still so many options to consider with the new warscrolls and battletome. I kinda just laughed off some of the 'Wanderer lore' we got and I wouldn't pay it too much mind guys - on the one hand it says Wanderers live on the outskirts and on the other it says a majority of the Living City's military leaders are Nomad Princes. I like to think of it this way - so many Wanderers made their way to the Living City at one point or another that some serious haves & have-nots have been established over the years within the Wanderer population as some of the aelves don't adapt to 'city living' so well. Even living in the Living City livin'. But what I like about AoS is that there's tons of room within the realms for us to make our own story for our dudes, and to go our own way with it. GW definitely encourages us to do so - they had that article recently about doing conversions for Cities of Sigmar armies, and there was that one they did a while back about creating your own AoS 'Free City' as well. 

I think the story that Josh Reynolds wrote for the Living City in the CoS battletome, 'Nature's Wrath,' did a much better job explaining the Wanderers' current place in the 'official' lore. Of course 'Nature's Wrath' is told from the perspective of a Nomad Prince who rides a stag into battle at the head of some Wild Riders - give us that model GW! I think Josh also does some coy referencing to the upcoming[?] Kurnothi in contrast to the Prince - "He was no worshipper of Kurnoth... He was simply a prince without a kingdom..."

Also, did you guys notice the new Eternal Guard warscroll doesn't reference shields at all? So now it's even easier to use the cool shield-less old metal models and to pose the models from the plastic kit a bit more freely without having to place the shield. Also makes painting them way easier, and I think they kinda look cooler sans shields.

• Like 2

On 10/7/2019 at 12:03 AM, Rahatlin said:

Its GW writers and mess they did after end Times. Couple of pages within 5 years and whole story does not convince me at all 😕 Seeing old miniatures full of symbols from Old World dosnt help eighter ...

But you can always make your own narration for your warband. Maybe your warband was one that stayed when nurgle overtook Ghyran and fought? You could make convincing story for yourself - maybe that will soothe The bad taste. It helped me alot at least (if u care about such things)

My warband said ****** you to "queen" and left in search for New Home they landed in Tempest Eye where their services were rewarded 😉

If you don't want symbols of the old world, file them off. I, for one, like that they made their models reflect the current Karl of my primary city, Franz, and don't keep their gods to only Sigmar. Taal and Morr presumably survived as well (well, Taal at least, Morr is less certain).

And welcome to Tempest's Eye! I can tell you that Glade Riders make good Pistoleers, if you want to do that conversion.

2 hours ago, awcamawn said:

Also, did you guys notice the new Eternal Guard warscroll doesn't reference shields at all? So now it's even easier to use the cool shield-less old metal models and to pose the models from the plastic kit a bit more freely without having to place the shield. Also makes painting them way easier, and I think they kinda look cooler sans shields.

This is why they went from a 5+ save to a 4+ save. The Shield adds 1 to the save no-a-days. Happened with the Nomad Prince as well 4+ to 3+ but lost the re-roll all fails. The only thing it didn't happen for is the Wild Riders who still get the odd, re-roll 1s but lose 2" movement, and without the ability to run and charge anymore this does actually hurt us.

6 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

If you don't want symbols of the old world, file them off. I, for one, like that they made their models reflect the current Karl of my primary city, Franz, and don't keep their gods to only Sigmar. Taal and Morr presumably survived as well (well, Taal at least, Morr is less certain).

I don't know, it seems like the "KF" I keep seeing everywhere stands for "Kentucky Fried". In case the bearer falls in battle, you know, so the company knows what kind of chicken to serve at his wake.

• Haha 1

I've managed to cook up some decent lists with CoS so far for my Wanderers, there's some good internal synergy with the force, and the various cities allow for very different play-styles. I've modeled my army on a Ghur theme, but since Wanderers... wander, I'm sure that will be just fine regardless of the city I field them in.

Currently I'm trying to figure out which units would be best to burglarize my opponent on turn 2, when he's scooted forward foolishly with the bulk of their forces to, you know, fight me. By then, they should have moved their main force out of my way, making deep striking easier and let me more easily access their most important dudes.

I considered going with big blocks of WWR, who could show up on turn 2 and pulverize a backline, especially led by a Nomad Prince kitted out. Wild Riders would also be really appealing for the second-turn surprise assault, and infiltrating SotW would be fearsome to deal with if my opponent hasn't reserved enough to defend.

Going with Living city affords me additional options, including using Drycha with a Spite-Revenant entourage for backfield mayhem, or Sword Kurnoth, which I have used as allies in my Wanderers army previously to great effect. These units don't need Wyldwood synergy to be effective, which makes them good choices to include in the force.

Also, going with CoS, I can finally live my dream of building Giant Wolf Cavalry, which has been a goal for years. Now, I just need a mounted Nomad Prince option that's Match-Play legal, and I'll be good to go.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

I don't know, it seems like the "KF" I keep seeing everywhere stands for "Kentucky Fried". In case the bearer falls in battle, you know, so the company knows what kind of chicken to serve at his wake.

In what realm is this Kentucky you speak of? Is it Aqshi?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, zilberfrid said:

In what realm is this Kentucky you speak of? Is it Aqshi?

I think so. In the Deep Fried Basin, ruled by the eleven Princes of Herbs and Spices. Tis a noble land; in D&D terms the inhabitants' alignment tends to be Lawful Good, Neutral Good, and Finger-licking Good.

That's all I've got. If I really wanted to commit I'd paint a Freeguild General like Colonel Sanders but I don't think the payoff would be worth it.

I'm beginning to think I want to keep my Freeguild seperate from my Wanderers. I just don't know what I want to do regarding my Free City's background any more; I've gone from one well-defined concept (Freeguild and the Artists known formerly as Dark Elves) to wanting to use my Wanderers and Sylvaneth, all while dabbling in a side-project Hyshian city.

I'm most excited to field my Wanderers but I haven't any idea what their background would be! And that's important to me. Everything I've tried has ultimately been to try and fit their square peg in the round holes of my initially-Freeguild concept or the triangular hole of "but I also want a scheme which will match my Sylvaneth". I may have to just wait for inspiration with them.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, GM_Monkey said:

This is why they went from a 5+ save to a 4+ save. The Shield adds 1 to the save no-a-days. Happened with the Nomad Prince as well 4+ to 3+ but lost the re-roll all fails.

I mean, both Eternal Guard and the Nomad Prince received +1 to a save when the warscrolls got updated but mechanically that increase is baked in and has nothing to do with shields whatsoever. Neither the Eternal Guard or Nomad Prince warscrolls contain the word "shield" at all anymore, even in the description of what wargear they carry.

This means you can now model them with or without shields per personal preference. If you want to convert a model into a Nomad Prince they only need a spear and a bird to be wysiwyg.

You could look at it as 'the shield adds one to save now' when comparing the old warscroll to the new one, but really the shield just isn't required any longer mechanically.

21 minutes ago, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

My Nomad Princess is a Handmaiden of the Everqueen!

Mine is the old Orion model because they moved them to 32mm and Orion just fits on that. I had to buy him second hand and replace his missing hand and horn (but now he has a cool wooden hand from a Kurnoth Hunter and a neat bit of backstory for my sylvaneth allies.) I'm building the base now to use the two dogs as a marker for the "harrying birds of prey" ability. Like the hounds showing the targets status as "prey".

• Like 1

7 hours ago, overtninja said:

I've managed to cook up some decent lists with CoS so far for my Wanderers, there's some good internal synergy with the force, and the various cities allow for very different play-styles. I've modeled my army on a Ghur theme, but since Wanderers... wander, I'm sure that will be just fine regardless of the city I field them in.

Currently I'm trying to figure out which units would be best to burglarize my opponent on turn 2, when he's scooted forward foolishly with the bulk of their forces to, you know, fight me. By then, they should have moved their main force out of my way, making deep striking easier and let me more easily access their most important dudes.

I considered going with big blocks of WWR, who could show up on turn 2 and pulverize a backline, especially led by a Nomad Prince kitted out. Wild Riders would also be really appealing for the second-turn surprise assault, and infiltrating SotW would be fearsome to deal with if my opponent hasn't reserved enough to defend.

Going with Living city affords me additional options, including using Drycha with a Spite-Revenant entourage for backfield mayhem, or Sword Kurnoth, which I have used as allies in my Wanderers army previously to great effect. These units don't need Wyldwood synergy to be effective, which makes them good choices to include in the force.

Also, going with CoS, I can finally live my dream of building Giant Wolf Cavalry, which has been a goal for years. Now, I just need a mounted Nomad Prince option that's Match-Play legal, and I'll be good to go.

Id say go with Wild Riders - enemy monsters would be on front line by turn 2 and thats what WWR excels. WR got a power punch now- but NP might not be able to keep up with them - maybe just barely for 12"buff.

Another thing to consider - if you appear on turn 2 - means u used your move for that turn, meaning you will reach combat in 3rd and your enemy have his whole turn to reajust accordingly and IF he gets double turn your fried.

Thats why its best to appear if you are second in a turn do you have chance for double turn.

I feel SoTW might be also good since they could potentially shoot same turn they appear - and force your enemy to divert his forces to deal with them or take shots in the ass. U could use NP to move them without loosing bonus but thats CP expensive

Looking forward to your reports on how did it go!

• Like 1

@Rahatlin I've been a fan of Wild Riders since I started back at the beginning of WHFB 8E, I love playing with fragile hard-hitting missile units. I'm definitely going to figure out a way to fit all 10 of mine into my list and run rampant all over whatever shows itself.

Good advice on the timing of your appearance, it's definitely something i'll try to remember. I think it matters on the potential double turn more for WWR and maybe less on the double turn for Wild Riders, since they are only really savage on the charge - but maybe they are worth using in a charge-retreat-charge kind of way. I'll have to test it and find out!

Really excited for the possibilities the new warscrolls provide; it's nice to have ambitions for my wood elves again!

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, overtninja said:

Really excited for the possibilities the new warscrolls provide; it's nice to have ambitions for my wood elves again!

Honestly theres so much to try out with various cities that i kidna have hard time deciding hehe

One thing i dislike about CoS is Battalions. I tought Cities ment to be flexible - and having only 1 very restricted Battalion option is kidna dissapointing 😕

They could easily rephrase Battalions in a way that various units could fill The slot for example: "2-4 Cavalary Units" instead of "2-4 pistolieers"

Oh well

My current list plan is looking like 

Living City

Nomad prince, Ironoak artisan, spear of the hunt

Sorceress, adjutant, cage of thorns

Sorceress, ironoak skin

Arch-revenant

EG×20, retinue

SotT×5, lifesurge

Wildwood rangers×10

Wild riders×5

Wild riders×5

SotW×20

Darkshards×10

Kurnoth hunter w/sword×3

Shadow warriors×10

Emerald lifeswarm

Soulsnare shackles

The 2 sorceress was originally 2 battlemage but I decided I like the added reliability for endless spells over the versatility of the battlemage (this may be wrong) but I'm paying for those spells and I'd like to get value from them. The darkshards are literally just there to feed the sorceress and maybe get resurrected by the lifeswarm to be sacrificed again. They could be replaced with any of the cheap dark elf units and may become spears. The shadow warriors are a concession of points and would be 10 more sisters of the watch otherwise, but they aren't bad units themselves and do offer me a bit more surprise mobility.

The whole list revolves around disrupting my oppnened movement phase the most. Multiple slows to hopefully force his army to reach my lines piecemeal. Mobile units to threaten to grab undefended objectives and the like. Present my opponent with  enough choices and eventually he makes the wrong ones right? The list feels really solid defensively but maybe lacks punch? Idk. I'll get some games in as soon as I can and report back. 

Any idea how to wood elf some darkshards or should I just paint them to match and call them city allies?

Gave it some thought. I think wildwood hooded heads on the shards and a matching paint scheme should do it. I might even give them bird skull masks to match with some of the rest of the armies masked scheme. The shadow warriors are going to be LotR Mirkwood rangers. I know the scale is off slightly but I'll put them on raised stones and stuff for LoS and fluff up some reason they're so thin. Maybe they are the younger less experienced hunters vying to become sisters of the watch? Maybe they're a religious order of hunters who starve themselves to honor the hunt by only eating worthy prey or something along those lines?

Edited by The Red King

3 hours ago, The Red King said:

The 2 sorceress was originally 2 battlemage but I decided I like the added reliability for endless spells over the versatility of the battlemage (this may be wrong) but I'm paying for those spells and I'd like to get value from them. The darkshards are literally just there to feed the sorceress and maybe get resurrected by the lifeswarm to be sacrificed again. They could be replaced with any of the cheap dark elf units and may become spears. The shadow warriors are a concession of points and would be 10 more sisters of the watch otherwise, but they aren't bad units themselves and do offer me a bit more surprise mobility.

The whole list revolves around disrupting my oppnened movement phase the most. Multiple slows to hopefully force his army to reach my lines piecemeal. Mobile units to threaten to grab undefended objectives and the like. Present my opponent with  enough choices and eventually he makes the wrong ones right? The list feels really solid defensively but maybe lacks punch? Idk. I'll get some games in as soon as I can and report back. 

Any idea how to wood elf some darkshards or should I just paint them to match and call them city allies?

Correct me if im wrong - but you can only cast one spell of same type in your hero phase, so you wont be able to cast for eg. two cages in your turn. Having 2 Sorcresses with same spells you would be able to cast one of each spell from each Sorc 

Edited by Rahatlin

I'm not sure what you mean by same type, but you are correct that you can't cast the same spell (or even attempt to) twice in the same turn. So the goal is to pump out the endless spells turn 1 or 2 and then use them to cast cage and ironoak every turn. Though I'm realizing then that I should probably leave them further back and instead deepstrike the revenant and hunters (and make the rev my adjutant) so I can cast on turn 1. I just have to be in position to cast the buffs by at least turn 2.

• 3 weeks later...

It's the most interesting rumor engine we've gotten in a while, IMO.

I think it's almost definitely a waystone, but I'm really curious what kind of stylized beast it's trying to depict there. A Phoenix, a Dragon?

It doesn't look like a stag, which automatically makes it some kind of new beast compared to the current Wanderer range.