AoS 2 - Wanderers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

So some combos still in place. Eternal guard backed up by Sisters of the Watch. And if the eternal guard have the Thorn's Spell on, they have a 3+ and a 2+ if Fortress is active. Wild Riders are actually a flanking unit and can bust up people. I know our wildwood rangers are gunna be good for monster hunting, but I feel we might be better served with a unit that can dish out mortals in the combat phase, so maybe taking greatswords with a captain nearby as a hammer unit could help. Wizards are always good. Taking the hurricanum helps effectively extend our +1 to hit bubble. 

Full reviews of the Battletomes are up on Youtube as usual. Living City allegiance abilities look quite good at first glance.

In terms of Points, Nomad Prince is 120, Eternal Guard are 130/330, Wild Riders 130, Rangers 130, Sisters of the Thorn 130, Sisters of the Watch 160

• Like 1

Our battalion seems just okay. Nomad Prince, 3 rangers, 0-1 wild riders, and if they outflanked, they get +1 to charge. I don't know if that's a worthwhile battalion. I'm just not feeling wildwood rangers, though being 25mm with 2" reach is good. Any monster they fight is as good as probably dead. 

Wildwood Rangers aren't flashy or aggressively strong, they're just solid.

They're basically Deepkin Thralls with +2 bravery, +1 run/charge and 2" reach on 25mm bases vs the Thralls 1" reach on 32mm bases.

Against Monsters they are strictly better than Thralls, against 1 wound infantry or heroes it's sweeping blows vs being able to get vastly more models in to realistically attack and unless the unit is down to like 5 models Rangers win that pretty handily.

I wouldn't take the battalion either because I don't think full aggro is the Wanderers strong point but Rangers are fine.

My current plan is to run all the Wanderer scrolls in CoS, along with GG converted into Shadow Warriors, heavily converted Demigryph knights, battle wizards, and probably a beast wizard on gryphon, and maybe even a Hurricanum, or even a Phoenix of some kind, because they are silly even on their own. I might also run an Assassin for surprise punch. I'll certainly be running my army as Living City, and that will let me run a 1/4 of my army as Sylvaneth units - probably Durthu, some Kurnoth hunters, an Arch-Revenant, the new Kurnothoi, or some Tree-Revenants, who could threaten objectives constantly. 

The breadth of options available within the list is incredibly robust, and rather better than what Wanderers allegiance offers. The remaining Wanderers units have been buffed, and had their points reduced, to the point where I feel confident building an army out of them, especially augmented by the unique city lore and artifacts. I can easily see myself running 10-man Wild Rider units, more than one SotT unit, and nice big blocks of EG, who are dumb strong now. The SotW can generate MW on 6s, and everyone's to-hit rolls will be on 2s almost all the time. Hell yes. I might even take more than one Nomad Prince, since, you know, more of a good thing can't hurt!

I'm keen to run Shadow Warriors, since their shooting from cover is an outrage and they can pop up on objectives that are lightly defended, shoot off the defenders, and capture them without too much of an issue, or gang up and shell a key target. I plan to run as many squads as I can, to pounce on anything I care to. I play rather aggressively anyway, and these guys are right up my alley in terms of how aggro they are.

Also, I can finally convert some elves riding giant wolves into counts-as Demigryphs, and run a lot of wizards. The CoS book is entirely a win for me, and while I'm sad to lose all my cool Wanderer Heroes, I'm happy to use them as other things and enjoy the delicious buffs and different playstyle.

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 2

I’m really happy, too. Only thing a bit disappointing in my eyes is the battalion, I don’t think I’ll run 3 units of Wildwood Rangers. But we’ll have to see. I’m looking forward to 20 SotW deep striking with a Nomad Prince, shooting 41 arrows on 2+ and then walking away after. Will cost me 2 command points to do, but it’ll be awesome.

I’ll use my 20 Glade Guards as Shadow Warriors too. They are aelves with bows and cloaks, I think that’s a perfect stand in. Maybe I add some swords to their hips or backs so they are even closer to their rules loadout.

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

2 hours ago, martinwolf said:

I’m really happy, too. Only thing a bit disappointing in my eyes is the battalion, I don’t think I’ll run 3 units of Wildwood Rangers. But we’ll have to see. I’m looking forward to 20 SotW deep striking with a Nomad Prince, shooting 41 arrows on 2+ and then walking away after. Will cost me 2 command points to do, but it’ll be awesome.

I’ll use my 20 Glade Guards as Shadow Warriors too. They are aelves with bows and cloaks, I think that’s a perfect stand in. Maybe I add some swords to their hips or backs so they are even closer to their rules loadout.

I didn't even consider that the Outflanking wouldn't count as moving for Sotw shooting....... Oh my.

So came up with this list. Deciding if I want living city of tempest eye.

Nomad prince general

sorceress/battlemage 

2x30 eternal guard

20 wildwood rangers

20 sisters of the watch

5 wild riders

5 sisters of the thorn

20 shadow warriors

emerald life swarm. 

If I did tempest eye, the idea would be running everyone up to objectives or a foward defensive position where the eternal guard have a 2+ on my enemies turn. Get the rest of the army ready to strike out. 

Living city is just having the ranged elements of the list outflank and shoot valuable targets and then running away.

Perhaps over committing to eternal guard though and 2 units of 20 is good enough. Would save me 140 points which could be either another hero or unit. 

I thought about a hurricanum instead of the shadow warriors just to zap units,  which would be helpful in either city as the hurricanum can out flank. 

Thoughts? I haven’t bought anything yet and I might come into some models they could make this list. 

• Like 1

On 9/28/2019 at 4:24 AM, madmac said:

Full reviews of the Battletomes are up on Youtube as usual. Living City allegiance abilities look quite good at first glance.

In terms of Points, Nomad Prince is 120, Eternal Guard are 130/330, Wild Riders 130, Rangers 130, Sisters of the Thorn 130, Sisters of the Watch 160

Ooh nice.  

LInks?  Some of us don't go to youtube for reviews :)

On 9/28/2019 at 7:17 AM, carnith said:

Our battalion seems just okay. Nomad Prince, 3 rangers, 0-1 wild riders, and if they outflanked, they get +1 to charge. I don't know if that's a worthwhile battalion. I'm just not feeling wildwood rangers, though being 25mm with 2" reach is good. Any monster they fight is as good as probably dead. 

What is the battalion called?

I was looking at the rules yesterday and because our previous battalion specifies units I think you can ignore the keyword at the top.  

I'm really happy about the new tome, and the Living City in particular. One fourth of my army being Sylvaneth basically sells it the whole way for me, and the Allegiance abilities are amazing.  I also have a larger amount of Freeguild (Secondhand) than I do Wanderers, which I will change eventually. My plan is to grab some SoTW and Eternal Guard and set up a defensive bastion, sending Wild Riders forward to attack.

• Like 1

I think this has finally given me a reason to get my old Dark Elves out of storage and put them on round bases.  I can mix them with my Wanderers in living City, with the option of trying other cities occasionally for variety.  Putting my Flamespyre Phoenix in now feels like a viable option.

I need to see the whole book first before I can work out which units to re-base first, but I suspect it will probably be 30 Darkshards.

Despite losing the use of many models, this book means I can finally field an army of Aelves of all persuasions - something I did in the early days of AOS when all armies were equal (though some were still more equal than others).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AthelLoren said:

I don't think so. They don't seem to have Wanderers on their allies table, but we'll have to wait for the full book to drop.

I think that you can ally in any order except Seraphon, but I suspect that the Waywatcher et al will soon join their brethren in Legends.  In any case, my 3 Waywatchers, sadly, will remain in their case awaiting the day when GW once more release a warscroll for a bow-carrying Aelven hero  (Kurnothi?)

9 minutes ago, AthelLoren said:

I don't think so. They don't seem to have Wanderers on their allies table, but we'll have to wait for the full book to drop.

Found this on Wiki page:

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Age_of_Sigmar/Tactics/Order/Cities_of_Sigmar

CoS has a large selection of ally options - everything Order except Seraphon. Some factions can be taken as non-allied - instead, they gain the city keyword but not the host keyword, and up to 1 in every 4 units in the army can be taken.

units, gaining your faction keywords, and not subject to ally restrictions.

• Stormcast Eternals: Taken as non-allied in any CoS army. They act as big elite units with multiple wounds. Provide strong shooting, Skull smashing, and strong cavalry.
  • Daughters of Khaine:
  • Fyreslayers:
  • Idoneth Deepkin:
  • Kharadron Overlords: Taken as non-allied in Tempest's Eye. Gives Flying Dwarfs, more guns, and Airships.
  • Sylvaneth: Taken as non-allied in Living City. Cannot be taken in Greywater Fastness

1 minute ago, AthelLoren said:

Oops, Ok.

So it says you can ally anything from order except Seraphon. Listed armies are not under allies restriction and can be taken according to rules stated.

So it looks like as long as old wanderers have their keywords were good. They even compatibile with NP buffs since only restriction is wanderers keyword.

And spellweaver is amazing with ressurection and auto dispel

5 minutes ago, Rahatlin said:

So it says you can ally anything from order except Seraphon. Listed armies are not under allies restriction and can be taken according to rules stated.

So it looks like as long as old wanderers have their keywords were good. They even compatibile with NP buffs since only restriction is wanderers keyword.

And spellweaver is amazing with ressurection and auto dispel

Seraphon and dumped units can't be allied. No freeguild archers, excelsior warpriest, waywatcher or glade guard. They do not have a cities keyword and are not listed in the allies

2 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

Seraphon and dumped units can't be allied. No freeguild archers, excelsior warpriest, waywatcher or glade guard. They do not have a cities keyword and are not listed in the allies

I guess lets wait for official book. As of now Wiki clearly says you can ally anything from Order.

Listed armies are gaining your City keyword and/or are taken as 1 every 4 unit