AoS 2 - Wanderers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

IMHO, I think Kurnothi will get their own codex, albeit one that borrows extensively from existing models.

Wildriders, Arch Revenants, and Kurnothi Hunters could easily be shared with the new faction.  With those 3 kits alone you already have SIX unique warscrolls. 

The original Sylvaneth codex was only around 11 warscrolls, and I think the Fyreslayers are currently sitting at even less than that. So by that math, GW could have a legitimate new faction with just 2-3 new kits (assuming at least one is a dual).

This sounds a lot more credible than Sylvaneth getting a warband that doesn't fit their aesthetic or Wanderers getting a codex AFTER cities of Sigmar.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2019 at 11:55 AM, Cafarom89 said:

the Warhammer underworld centaurs are elves or not?

We should know technically when their AOS warscroll is released and they have the Aelf keyword or not.  I suspect that, like the Melusai, Khinerai and Tree-Revenants, they will be not.  Which probably means that, like them, they are descended from Aelves ( in this case Wanderers) in some way, biologically or by soul, but no longer full Aelves. 

1 hour ago, The Red King said:

So the Kurnothi are Sylvaneth and I think this may be the death knell of Wanderers and AoS for me. 

The Cities book will be out soon and then we'll have a better idea of the more immediate future for Wanderers.  Kurnothi may or may not become a fully-fledged army, but if they do it's a long way off.  Whether eventually they are Sylvaneth, Wanderers or the whole lot are wrapped up together really makes no difference at the moment.  The Cities book will be around for several years to come and if Wanderers have a good home there, then I'll be happy enough.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Red King said:

So the Kurnothi are Sylvaneth and I think this may be the death knell of Wanderers and AoS for me. 

Hopefully Cities of Sigmar helps alleviate some of the Wanderer's frustration that has popped up lately. 

I have actually been frustrated with the capability of the Wanderer's army for a while now, so about a year ago I actually transitioned into playing Sylvaneth with a heavy contingent of Wanderer allies. This recreated the old woodelf dynamic and is fairly competitive. (especially with the new Sylvaneth codex)

Anyway, I encourage you to maybe give that a try before throwing in the towel completely! 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Landohammer said:

Hopefully Cities of Sigmar helps alleviate some of the Wanderer's frustration that has popped up lately. 

I have actually been frustrated with the capability of the Wanderer's army for a while now, so about a year ago I actually transitioned into playing Sylvaneth with a heavy contingent of Wanderer allies. This recreated the old woodelf dynamic and is fairly competitive. (especially with the new Sylvaneth codex)

Anyway, I encourage you to maybe give that a try before throwing in the towel completely! 

How though? With only 400 points for allies that not a lot of Wanderer allies, like 20 sisters of the watch?

Edited by GM_Monkey

The dilemma I have is that Sylvaneth are not an Aelf faction - they are now a distinct faction in their own right, both in lore and for gaming purposes.  If I want to scratch  my (Wanderers) Aelf itch, then playing Sylvaneth will not work, even though I have some Sylvaneth painted up as allies and may well expand this into an army later.   If Cities can provide a workable and thematic way to play Wanderers, then that's fine.  If I need to create Aelven soup within cities to scratch the itch, then I can also live with that quite happily.

The Aelves in general seem to be going through a root and branch (if you'll pardon the expression) transformation and evolving into races that are no longer Aelves, though they have Aelven ancestry.  For those of use who have been immersed in Aelves for any length of time this is a difficult transition to cope with.  I am glad that the cities book is giving a lifeline to those of us who would like to continue to play in the spirit of Elder Aelves.  It seems that they are aiming for a place where tomes should be playable for years without becoming outdated playwise, so the Cities tome, hopefully, should out-survive us old codgers while introducing the new breed of Aelfs to players unencumbered by entrenched views.

I'm hoping, of course, that the Cities book will be amazing, but however it turns out I know I will have to make it work if I want to scratch that Traditional Aelf itch.

• Like 1

See, I strongly disagree that the Kurnothi are years out a best. They're the protagonist faction of Beastgrave, GW keeps spotlighting them by saying "Whoa, check out this brand new race! What's up with that, huh?" The recent Sylvaneth book helped set the stage for the re-emergence of Kurnoth by expanding his lore and dropping a lot of hints that something was changing. They were considerably less blatant in talking about Zarbag's Gits, and that warband got their book within a few months.

Secondly, the cycle of updating 1.0 books is almost over, giving GW plenty of time next year to start rolling out new armies, which they are already doing with Bone Reapers.

I also don't expect them to be a mere Sylvaneth expansion, at no point has it been stated that they are Sylvaneth, the community article even makes it a point to state that their AoS rules merely represent their alliance with the Sylvaneth. As a faction also, the Sylvaneth allegiance abilities don't make any sense for them, they are bestial Hunters representing the realm of Ghur, not defensive-minded tree people protecting the realm of life. I expect they'll get a faction spell lore representing the old Lore of Beasts to start with.

All that said, the one critical thing that hasn't been made clear is the future of Wanderers. They will definitely be in CoS, and the Living City should allow free use of Sylvaneth/Wanderers as a combined force. My personal feeling is that GW has been on the path of bringing all the old bands back together as it were, and there's no logical reason for Wanderers, especially now that they've been stripped down to just their newest models, to be excluded from that.  I suspect we'll see Wanderers included with Kurnothi and the whole thing rolled together with Sylvaneth eventually.

The wait is frustrating for sure, and I can only hope that CoS gets announced very soon to alleviate some of the pain. I'm personally dying to see what the updated warscrolls will be.

• Like 3

Wanderers not mentioned in today's preview, but some good news for us I think.

The Freeguild General still has all of his old keywords, just with Cities of Sigmar added on top. His command ability only targets other Freeguild units.

The two start-collecting boxes are basically just Start Collecting-Dispossessed, and Start Collecting-Corsairs. If Dwarfs and Dark Aelves can be taken in any city, that should be true of all other sub- factions.

So with that in mind Wanderers will almost certainly survive as a distinct race/allegiance also.  It's a small thing, but probably the best possible result for races included in CoS that don't have their own armybook.

• Like 2

So, there's a new short story that was released today-The Warden in the Mountain

I'm only about halfway through, but the basic premise of the story is that the Kurnothi character is leading a band of aspiring Wild Wood Rangers to the Beastgrave as an initiation test. (Called here the order of the Wardens of the Wild, and describes their green cloaks and ranger daiche's among other things) and, uh...yeah Wanderers. Totally Wanderers. Humans are apparently allowed to join the order, but the majority of aspirants are Wanderers who didn't fit in with the Free Cities for one reason or other.

One of the aspirants is described as having hooves and horns, manifesting the "wild blood" as some "aelves of the hollows" are known to do. There's a lot of talk of (Your Gods are Dead and your People are Dead and your Future is gone) and overall it seems to be hinting that reviving the old Aelf pantheon is one of the goals of the order. I'll come back when I've finished the book, but pretty cool, man.

Edited by madmac
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

On 9/21/2019 at 6:02 AM, GM_Monkey said:

How though? With only 400 points for allies that not a lot of Wanderer allies, like 20 sisters of the watch?

Sisters of the Thorn are popular, as are small units of Eternal guard for objective campers. I actually prefer a unit of 20 Wyldwood Rangers for an anti monster unit or 2 Waywatcher characters for a substantial shooting phase.  All of those units can shore up some weakness of Sylvaneth (shooting, armoured monster counter, cheap infantry, etc)

Regardless, it looks like the "Living City" faction may make my entire point moot. I imagine it will be a defacto replacement for traditional Wanderer armies. Giving up the medicore wanderer allegiance/items/traits to gain free access to Sylvaneth and Stormcast units is definitely a good trade.

5 minutes ago, Landohammer said:

Sisters of the Thorn are popular, as are small units of Eternal guard for objective campers. I actually prefer a unit of 20 Wyldwood Rangers for an anti monster unit or 2 Waywatcher characters for a substantial shooting phase.  All of those units can shore up some weakness of Sylvaneth (shooting, armoured monster counter, cheap infantry, etc)

Regardless, it looks like the "Living City" faction may make my entire point moot. I imagine it will be a defacto replacement for traditional Wanderer armies. Giving up the medicore wanderer allegiance/items/traits to gain free access to Sylvaneth and Stormcast units is definitely a good trade.

If you want to play sylvaneth/ stormcast and that's a big if for a lot of people. 

I should say despite my gloom I DO play sylvaneth. Here's hoping the wanderers warscrolls make them more worth bringing.

"Don’t be alarmed if you run into aelven Wanderers here. Alarielle forgave them for their retreat from Ghyran during the Age of Chaos and graciously granted the aelves sanctuary in outer quarters of the Living City. Now, they fight proudly alongside the Sylvaneth and Stormcast Eternals."

Why couldn't we just have this narrative and give us a new tome 😥

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Hagbean said:

"Don’t be alarmed if you run into aelven Wanderers here. Alarielle forgave them for their retreat from Ghyran during the Age of Chaos and graciously granted the aelves sanctuary in outer quarters of the Living City. Now, they fight proudly alongside the Sylvaneth and Stormcast Eternals."

At least you can get back to your erstwhile allies?

37 minutes ago, Hagbean said:

Do you think, then, that it is time Wanderers forgave Allarielle for allowing the ancestors to die of Nurgle's rot while fighting for Her realm?

Edited by Aelfric
  • Like 2

On 9/23/2019 at 7:13 AM, madmac said:

So, there's a new short story that was released today-The Warden in the Mountain

I'm only about halfway through, but the basic premise of the story is that the Kurnothi character is leading a band of aspiring Wild Wood Rangers to the Beastgrave as an initiation test. (Called here the order of the Wardens of the Wild, and describes their green cloaks and ranger daiche's among other things) and, uh...yeah Wanderers. Totally Wanderers. Humans are apparently allowed to join the order, but the majority of aspirants are Wanderers who didn't fit in with the Free Cities for one reason or other.

One of the aspirants is described as having hooves and horns, manifesting the "wild blood" as some "aelves of the hollows" are known to do. There's a lot of talk of (Your Gods are Dead and your People are Dead and your Future is gone) and overall it seems to be hinting that reviving the old Aelf pantheon is one of the goals of the order. I'll come back when I've finished the book, but pretty cool, man.

Well that seems like strong evidence for a Kurnothi/Wanderers merger down the road.

Speculating further, I could totally see a Battletome with Sylvaneth and Kurnothi/Wanderers with three allegiance options: two separate armies and one combined army, a la Orruk Wartribes.

Edited by Yeled
  • LOVE IT! 3

17 hours ago, Yeled said:

Well that seems like strong evidence for a Kurnothi/Wanderers merger down the road.

Speculating further, I could totally see a Battletome with Sylvaneth and Kurnothi/Wanderers with three allegiance options: two separate armies and one combined army, a la Orruk Wartribes.

Yeah, ignoring all the plot specifics (there's a twist or two I won't get into) and the fact that I'm not actually sure which character is supposed to be the one on the cover, just the fact that Black Library approved a Beastgrave tie-in novel set in Beastgrave, using a Kurnothi on the cover, and being all about Wanderers/Wild Wood Rangers seems to indicate that Kurnothi are more or less synonymous with Wanderers in their mind. 

I'm still not buying more Wanderers right now, waiting to see if any package deals show up in the next few months but I definitely feel assured enough to start painting my Wanderers now in anticipation of Kurnothi coming out. I can just use them as a Cities army in the meantime, so no problems really.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2019 at 2:21 PM, madmac said:

Yeah, ignoring all the plot specifics (there's a twist or two I won't get into) and the fact that I'm not actually sure which character is supposed to be the one on the cover, just the fact that Black Library approved a Beastgrave tie-in novel set in Beastgrave, using a Kurnothi on the cover, and being all about Wanderers/Wild Wood Rangers seems to indicate that Kurnothi are more or less synonymous with Wanderers in their mind. 

Back in the age of the Old World, the Wild Riders would pick one of their number each Spring to be the manifestation, or Avatar, of Orion (now Kurnous?) who when the year was done would sacrifice himself on a pyre, and so the cycle would continue.  It is possible that this old lore may be filtering down in some altered form into the new Age.  

It would be great if Wanderers were updated with the inclusion of the Kurnothi.  In the meantime, I'm awaiting the Cities of Sigmar tome with increasing anticipation.

Wild Riders are scary on the charge, but lost how to use their shields again.

Sisters of the watch do MW's on 6's to wound, and gain +1 attack when they stand still, and their overwatch increased to 3" of them so they can hide behind eternal guard properly and shoot. No benefit to fighting chaos. 

They seem to have forgotten shield rules for Eternal Guard/Wild Riders again, or just decided it doesn't matter how they are modeled.

Other changes:

Across the board for Wanderers, Banners are now +1 Bravery and Musicians are now +1 run and charge

Nomad Prince has a 3 up Save, his command ability is +1 to hit, and his Hawk lets him reduce Spellcasting/Dispel rolls or Attack rolls by -1 for one enemy model. No longer re-rolls all saves

WildWood Rangers look pretty much the same, flat 2 damage against monsters instead of d3

Sisters of the Thorn pretty much unchanged except their spell is now treated as giving the unit cover and does mortal wounds on unmodified 6s. No Casting bonus for 10, apparently.

Wild Rider spears are now 2 attacks 3s/4s - 1 rend one damage. On the charge becomes -2 rend 2 damage.

Sisters of the watch also largely unchanged except instead of + wound rolls vs chaos, they do mortal wounds on wound rolls of 6s regardless of target.

Overall good changes, but lack of shield re-rolls or any bonus whatsoever feels like an oversight.