AoS 2 - Wanderers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

On the one hand i'm glad i've only just got started with wanderers and i'd picked all the modern kits just to be safe in case of a squatting but i seriously feel for all you guys that have large collections, this really sucks :(

My hope is that we can play our own faction in the cities book and aren't forced to be a hybrid faction as thats not what i wanted when i started wanderers. The big surprise for me was the removal of the cannon/organ gun kit as they've just made the mercenary company in the GHB. 

• Like 1

The great thing about old models is that they are physical representations of rules, meaning you can change or delete the rules and the model still exists. I've converted every model in my Wanderers force (and from my Woodelf force before that) and it really doesn't matter if they count as Glade Girls or SOTW, or something else newer and more exciting. An battleline aelf with a bow is all I that need, and I'm 100% confident that we'll have a warscroll for that purpose. 
Here is one of my 'Glade Girl' captains:

001.jpg

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Nick907 said:

The great thing about old models is that they are physical representations of rules, meaning you can change or delete the rules and the model still exists. I've converted every model in my Wanderers force (and from my Woodelf force before that) and it really doesn't matter if they count as Glade Girls or SOTW, or something else newer and more exciting. An battleline aelf with a bow is all I that need, and I'm 100% confident that we'll have a warscroll for that purpose. 

001.jpg

Damn, how do we do this conversion lol

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Nick907 said:

001.jpg

The issue is that as it stands at the moment there are only 2 elf units with bows and they're both made from the same box. GW has demonstrated that they're quite happy to kill off units at the drop of the hat so basically nothing is safe. There may be no elves with bows in 12 months. 

I feel like it's not as if I've lost 30 Glade Guard, but gained 30 Shadow Warriors (and I'm hoping they'll be added to Wanderers due to their dual kit status with SotW).

Whereas I do feel like I've lost my Order Draconis, 120 Greenskins plus Wolf chariots, Snotlings, catapults  ..... I could go on.

Swings and Roundabouts.

You never know, There may be some new hero sculpts coming to replace at least some of the discontinued ones.

This is my hobby, and thing have disappeared before (Wood Elf chariots for example) so I will give it the glass half full treatment, embrace the change and find what works for me.

Edited by Aelfric
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, SentinelGuy said:

The issue is that as it stands at the moment there are only 2 elf units with bows and they're both made from the same box. GW has demonstrated that they're quite happy to kill off units at the drop of the hat so basically nothing is safe. There may be no elves with bows in 12 months. 

Idoneth deepkin have namarti reavers, you know, a elf unit with bows

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Aelfric said:

Whereas I do feel like I've lost my Order Draconis, 120 Greenskins plus Wolf chariots, Snotlings, catapults  ..... I could go on.

Swings and Roundabouts.

I’m optimistic that Greenskinz are effectively getting a new life as stand-ins for Bonesplittaz. I believe that they will look better with Ironjawz as a result of the upcoming Battletome.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Charlo said:

How do they not match? They're all from wood elves!

They are 14 year old models vs ones that are 6 years old.  That's significant for aesthetic.  

What are the parts of that Glade Girl?  Juan Diaz Daemonette?

On the plus side i'm getting my buddies Beasts of Chaos army he's giving away and converting my GG with some Ungors.

So, sorry about this but I posted earlier that I just bought a new army and I have a lot of GG and the heroes that were "cut" but my question is; it looks like they are just not being sold. They have points, they have warscrolls, they are still playable... is there any reason at all I cannot use them? They look legal as of GHB 19 so, they are not included in Cities of Sigmar now? But really nothing has changed right? I guess I might not be understanding exactly what has happened but to a new player all it looks like is that they have just stopped selling these units on the website. 

Any advice would help, again I am new so please don't rage on me. Thank you,

27 minutes ago, samkrow76 said:

So, sorry about this but I posted earlier that I just bought a new army and I have a lot of GG and the heroes that were "cut" but my question is; it looks like they are just not being sold. They have points, they have warscrolls, they are still playable... is there any reason at all I cannot use them? They look legal as of GHB 19 so, they are not included in Cities of Sigmar now? But really nothing has changed right? I guess I might not be understanding exactly what has happened but to a new player all it looks like is that they have just stopped selling these units on the website. 

Any advice would help, again I am new so please don't rage on me. Thank you,

Yeah you can use them until they get pushed into "Warhammer Legends" which is the graveyard for all the old fantasy models, which should happen in GHB 2020. Unless ofc GW surprises us and updates them in the cities book with some new models etc.

Cross posting from the Cities of Sigmar thread because it seems relevant to a lot of people:

Important news concerning recently axed units!

I'm not on the Facebooks, but a friend just sent me this:

LnMAoF0.jpg

It looks like the axed units will still be available to their parent factions, just not as part of Cities of Sigmar allegiance, your army has not been invalidated, and all of the units that didn't get discontinued are getting shiny new warscrolls. Business as usual, everybody wins I guess! 🥳

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Alexispolux said:

Yeah you can use them until they get pushed into "Warhammer Legends" which is the graveyard for all the old fantasy models, which should happen in GHB 2020. Unless ofc GW surprises us and updates them in the cities book with some new models etc.

Thank you for the clarification :) this makes me fee a little better. If I get a little use out of them I can always just keep them to look cool. Although for people that have had them forever I totally get it and that sucks. 

On 8/3/2019 at 1:54 PM, DionTheWanderer said:

After 2 years of careful collecting and painting, I had enough models for my first 2000pt game against Nurgle this week.

I thought I played well, and got a fair share of luck on my dice rolls. Didn't win, but at least the game was interesting, and I felt with a small boost of competitiveness from Cities of Sigmar we could at least compete enough to have fun games at club level against all but the very top-tier armies. 

I also base quite a lot of narrative around the various heroes. 

Two days later, that 2000pts is reduced to 1090. Disappointed is an understatement. 

And yeah, I know they will limp along for the next year or so. But managed decline isn't much fun, particularly when you're not starting from particularly high up the tree in the first place. 

1090 pt vs nurgle.jpg

Why don't you use them with other rules? Once Cities of Sigmar is out, you could use your army with the rules from this battletome. You could, for example, use them as free peoples or something like that.

Edited by antoara

2 hours ago, antoara said:

Why don't you use them with other rules? Once Cities of Sigmar is out, you could use your army with the rules from this battletome. You could, for example, use them as free peoples or something like that.

I probably will end up doing that. I freely admit I'm whinging, although there are *some* good reasons for it:

A) I don't know what I'll be able to use them as, and the uncertainty is stressful

B) I've had bad experiences with people in the community being arsey about proxying/base sizes etc, and it would be nice not to have to worry about that and just play

C)  It's still depressing to have spent two years building an army and painting it to a (for me) high standard only for it to get TK'd 8 months later. 

Edited by DionTheWanderer

58 minutes ago, Glam The Laughing Warrior said:

Since Shadow Warriors and Sisters of the Watch are a dual kit, and Swifthawks have been completely annihilated, I'm expecting/hoping that Shadow Warriors will become Wanderers.  In which case, I would use my Glade Guard as Shadow Warriors.  Only problem is that at 160, I think Shadow Warriors are over-priced.

I think what annoys me about that is that the models are clearly archery focused, whereas the shadow warriors are more combat/shooting balanced.  

Also, having carefully built my glade guard into huge units for the horde bonus, I now need to rethink that. 

1 hour ago, Glam The Laughing Warrior said:

which case, I would use my Glad

28 minutes ago, DionTheWanderer said:

I think what annoys me about that is that the models are clearly archery focused, whereas the shadow warriors are more combat/shooting balanced.  

Also, having carefully built my glade guard into huge units for the horde bonus, I now need to rethink that. 

But you can use glade guard body and legs and shadow warriors arms, elm. So I think that you can have a similar model.

If you see some convertion accepted to GTs those are for sure compliant with them. (As long as you use 50% of the original model - head, arms, weapons). Same base size ecc.

Better if you switch them to wylwood rangers i think.

Edited by Raffonerd

6 minutes ago, Raffonerd said:

But you can use glade guard body and legs and shadow warriors arms, elm. So I think that you can have a similar model.

If you see some convertion accepted to GTs those are for sure compliant with them. (As long as you use 50% of the original model - head, arms, weapons). Same base size ecc.

Better if you switch them to wylwood rangers i think.

I think you’re missing the point mate - people have existing models that they’ve put a lot of time/effort/cash into.