AoS 2 - Wanderers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Firestorm seemed like a stopgap to me but I’m feeling like Cities might be the final home and prune for the legacy armies (Wanderers, Dispossessed, Free Peoples, Ironweld, etc.). Was hoping for Dispossessed and Wanderers to be expanded but I’ve slowly come to like the Firestorm approach and associated lore.

My guess is that Wanderers find a home in the Cities of Sigmar book and that’s the end. It would be sad, but if it means we get new updated Warscrolls, the army might even be playable against other AoS armies solely with the Wanderers Allegiance.

The Kurnothi feel like “Wood Aelves” AoS Style to me. It’s where GW is going. They clearly want to get away from the classic (high fantasy) elves. Look at Idoneth, DoK (Snake Ladies). Maybe we get classic high elves in form of the rumored Tyrion Light Elves someday.

I personally just wanted my beloved Wood Elves back since I started to get back into the hobby around a year ago but I‘m finally realising that’s not going to happen. I will keep collection Wanderers, I think that’s the closest I can get and I will enjoy it but I hopefully can now also focus and enjoy other things in AoS not constantly worry about what’ll happen. That’s the worst. :D 

If the Kurnothi will become an AoS faction I think they could be fantastic. I like the models, the style. Even though they are not the Wood Elves I longed for. But I don’t really see them merging with Wanderers.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, GM_Monkey said:

Allegiance: Wanderers
Nomad Prince (80)
Spellweaver (100)
- Heartwood Staff
Waywatcher (120)
Waywatcher (120)
Wayfinder (80)
20 x Eternal Guard (140)
20 x Eternal Guard (140)
30 x Glade Guard (360)
30 x Sisters of the Watch (480)
5 x Wild Riders (100)
5 x Wild Riders (100)
Waystone Pathfinders (160)
Malevolent Maelstrom (10)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 145

jumping the SotW around the field helps out, moving the GG normally and just trying to hold out with the eternal guard.

This list has its own sense. 

I personally, am not happy with this new Kurnothi.. im a straight up aelf guy, i want to see the wanderer aelves actually revamped! If they dump them in the citis book then fine, ill love to start collecting, building and playing the army. Kurnothi seem more woodsi than aelf... #notmywoodaelves

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Talunus said:

I personally, am not happy with this new Kurnothi.. im a straight up aelf guy, i want to see the wanderer aelves actually revamped! If they dump them in the citis book then fine, ill love to start collecting, building and playing the army. Kurnothi seem more woodsi than aelf... #notmywoodaelves

Perhaps Kurnothi will be to wanderers what Kharadron Overlords is to Disspossesed. Both of which, Wanderers and Disspossesed will likely be in "dumped" into the city book, as you refer to it. 

After thinking about it, the Kurnothi theme goes really well with the Sylvaneth theme. I did not see that coming! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

As I posted in the other thread, they kept the Wanderer kits that are modern enough to be easily rolled into Kurnothi.

There's really no other explanation, there isn't enough of Wanderers left to be a faction without new models, but at the same time if they weren't being expanded they'd have just been obliterated like the High Elf line.

28 minutes ago, The Red King said:

So wood elves as we know them are squatted then. If we're lucky we get rolled into kurnoth, if not we languish with CoS as "our book" to make room in the design space for more stormcast...

They will get merged. With a culling this deep, GW wouldn't have bothered sparing the models that are left otherwise.

Wow, that's a lot of salt in the last couple of posts.

We knew we would loose stuff when the cull happened, it sucks sure, but we didn't loose everything.

Glade guard and the metal heros don't match well with the nomad prince, the wild riders/sisters of the thorn, eternal guard/wildwood rangers and sisters of the watch. They just dont, now we will be in cities so we can still be played until whatever happens with the kurnothi happens

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Charlo said:

How do they not match? They're all from wood elves!

Glade guard are very patchwork with little to no metal and everything being all layers on layers.

The newer eternal guard have armour and clothes that are one piece, same with the wild riders/sisters of the thorn. Those kits fit better with sisters of the watch/shadow warriors then with glade guard

Upset isn't even the word, such a kick in the teeth. 

People will try and put a positive spin on this and/or play it down by trying to claim it's "justified" but i'd be very interested to see the amount of models you actually have.

Won't be making any purchases for a long while, wouldn't have bought Warcry if I knew this was going to happen either.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Hagbean said:

Upset isn't even the word, such a kick in the teeth. 

People will try and put a positive spin on this and/or play it down by trying to claim it's "justified" but i'd be very interested to see the amount of models you actually have.

Won't be making any purchases for a long while, wouldn't have bought Warcry if I knew this was going to happen either.

Got to say I agree. I'm not happy about this. I'm very much Tolkien style. I was actually thinking about doing a dispossessed army as well as wanderers. 

To give new points values a couple months ago thereby indicating everything has a future, only to do this. Not happy. 

Although, I should admit, I don't really know what this all means. Surely they can't withdraw anything? Therefore, all current combinations should remain playable regardless of what happens? 

• Like 3

Yo, all the heroes outside the Nomad Prince are Finecast, which is, was, and has been pretty rubbish in terms of quality, and probably cost GW more money than they saved trying to preserve the expensive metal molds. They seem to have finally sold their stock from like 10 years ago, and now it's time to move on to the modern levels of quality they are capable of creating with plastics. I own most of the WE heroes in metal and I completely understand them wanting to let them go - they don't really match the style of the newer models and they certainly don't match the story they are trying to tell.

The GG kit's scale is smaller than most other aelves, and frankly the kit is pretty static in terms of posing. GW can do a lot better now that units don't rank up on little squares, and I don't fault them from retiring all the old kits that were sculpted specifically to rank up. If anything, we'll probably be getting better archer kits for the free cities later on - and there's good money they'll be aelves, because no one bows better.

Ultimately, as someone who owns an awful lot of old metal WE models, I'm actually happy to see the remaining metal go - what player, new to the hobby, is going to want to buy 15 year old metal models when they could buy much more dynamic models in plastic? Most of what drives the sadness for replacing kits is nostalgia and a feeling like you can't use old things for some reason.

I currently use my old metal Wardancers as counts-as WWR, my Wild Riders are the old metal ones, I use the old Waywatcher metal minis as my SotW, and my heroes are all metal - including my NP, which is the old Wood Elf with Spear and Sword hero with the cool antler hood. It's okay that new players get newer things - you can still use the old ones to represent the new units and models, and if anything it will add interest to your army and spark conversation rather than be some sort of detriment. As hobby players, we should be using as many old models as we can to represent our armies, especially if we put lots of time into converting, painting and basing them.

You should be able to use your old models to represent new things, is what I'm saying, and the new Free Cities book will give you ample opportunity to do so. For now, it's time to get creative with what we can use our models for in the future, so that they can continue to see the table and be enjoyed by everyone.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Sam24 said:

Got to say I agree. I'm not happy about this. I'm very much Tolkien style. I was actually thinking about doing a dispossessed army as well as wanderers. 

To give new points values a couple months ago thereby indicating everything has a future, only to do this. Not happy. 

Although, I should admit, I don't really know what this all means. Surely they can't withdraw anything? Therefore, all current combinations should remain playable regardless of what happens? 

The writing was on the wall, but it doesn't make the blow any less gut-wrenching.

They've essentially axed our only battalion, whilst killing off a model that was so integral to any Wanderers list that pretty much everyone who actually collected the army had 80+

You'll get people saying "b-b-but you can keep using them until ghb-2020! stop complaining!" which is an absolutely ridiculous comment. The army as we know it is done, unfortunately they can withdraw whatever they want. I could stomach the majority of Wood Elves being shown the door, but this is just salt in the wound.

@overtninja I admire the optimism, I own 2500+ points of Wanderers, not to mention a further 3k+ of Wood Elves, so I can appreciate some of your comments about the older models showing their age, but this is the beginning of an extremely slippery slope for every single one of my Wanderers models which I thought were going to actually see some love from GW. 

• Like 1

After 2 years of careful collecting and painting, I had enough models for my first 2000pt game against Nurgle this week.

I thought I played well, and got a fair share of luck on my dice rolls. Didn't win, but at least the game was interesting, and I felt with a small boost of competitiveness from Cities of Sigmar we could at least compete enough to have fun games at club level against all but the very top-tier armies. 

I also base quite a lot of narrative around the various heroes. 

Two days later, that 2000pts is reduced to 1090. Disappointed is an understatement. 

And yeah, I know they will limp along for the next year or so. But managed decline isn't much fun, particularly when you're not starting from particularly high up the tree in the first place. 

1090 pt vs nurgle.jpg

Edited by DionTheWanderer
  • Sad 2

It is a sad day indeed - the Glade Guard were my first introduction into Warhammer as a whole (along with the Eternal Guard) and frankly I always liked their static poses, they seemed appropriate for Archers who aim and fire  volleys. Deep down I had hoped for a Warscroll Update for our beloved Glade Guard.

However I never would have guessed that I would actually like Elves with Deer legs

I feel for all of you who invested so much into lovely collections. 

• Like 2