Waystone Pathfinders (160)
ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (60)
TOTAL: 1990/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 2 WOUNDS: 125
LEADERS: 5/6 BATTLELINES: 4 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 0/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4
ARTEFACTS: 2/2 ALLIES: 280/400

• Like 1

Hello! 

My wife and I just started playing about two months ago and I am surprising her with a full army :)  she loves the Wanderes and I am really excited to give them to her. 

I am having a hard time figuring out if what I bought is a good list for her to start with. I know there will be complicated strats to learn but I just want her to be able to throw down on the table and play sometime. 

This is what I have so far:

Nomad prince

Spellweaver x 2

Waystrider

Waywatcher x2 

Sisters of the thorn x2 boxes

Glade guard x 2 boxes

Eternal guard x 20

Any advice? Are there considerable changes anticipated with Free Cities battletome? Thank you for any help. 

On 7/24/2019 at 4:02 PM, samkrow76 said:

Hello! 

My wife and I just started playing about two months ago and I am surprising her with a full army :)  she loves the Wanderes and I am really excited to give them to her. 

I am having a hard time figuring out if what I bought is a good list for her to start with. I know there will be complicated strats to learn but I just want her to be able to throw down on the table and play sometime. 

This is what I have so far:

Nomad prince

Spellweaver x 2

Waystrider

Waywatcher x2 

Sisters of the thorn x2 boxes

Glade guard x 2 boxes

Eternal guard x 20

Any advice? Are there considerable changes anticipated with Free Cities battletome? Thank you for any help. 

Welcome to the fold.  The picture accompanying the reveal for the Cities battletome did include a Nomad Prince, and the EG and SotT dual kits, so that 5 Wanderers units confirmed.  They have said that some units will be relegated to legends, but we don't know which ones.  It's a bit hard to give advice, when we're so close to getting a book with updated warscrolls.  All I can say is that the models are great, especially the Sisters, it's a fun army to play, and that your army will be safe for quite a few years to come.  

After the book comes out there'll be so much advice, it'll be overload.

• Like 2

Thank you very much, yeah I did a little more reading and I think I am going to be safe. I am just worried about the Glade Guard being pulled from the stores, but honestly even if they do drop them, oh well. In for a penny in for a pound right? 

• Like 1

Silly question. But can someone please explain what happens with eternal guard + sisters of the Thorne shield + mystic shield. And explain as simple as possible please. Is there any point using mystic shield if they already reroll? Thanks! 

I dont' think they will drop wanderes units cause they also have rules in Gh19. 

I think about a drop in old wood elf stuff. Why this? Because:

1st They removed Wdancers from wanderers. This happened because, as old rumors told us, they wanted to make a new battletome for them in the near future. This would be similar to what they have done for Witch Elfs becoming Daughters of Khaine.

2nd They started previewing Ghur realm with elfs (Wdancers style) in it. As they are similar and they are coming soon, GW can now delete the old wood elf miniatures and creating new ones.

3rd Wood Elfs and others old models are useless with no rule updates. So it is stupid also for them keeping them into the game with old rule and no possibility to sell them (by the store).

Edited by Raffonerd
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Poddy said:

Silly question. But can someone please explain what happens with eternal guard + sisters of the Thorne shield + mystic shield. And explain as simple as possible please. Is there any point using mystic shield if they already reroll? Thanks! 

Only 1 reroll is applicable to any dice roll. So you should chose which one to apply before the first and only reroll that you make.

4 hours ago, Poddy said:

Eternal guard naturally re-roll 1s on a save roll. If they are in cover they reroll 1s and 2s. If they have shield of thorns they re-roll all fails. Which means, if they have nothing else they save on a 5 or 6 and reroll 1s, 2s, 3s, & 4s. They cause mortal wounds on a 6. If they have Fortress of Boroughs and Shield of Thorns.  You Save on a 4, 5, or 6 and reroll 1s, 2s, 3s, & 4s (because rerolls happen before modifiers, but you don't have to reroll). They cause mortal wounds on 5s or 6s. And so on if you include cover.

There is absolutely no reason to cast mystic shield on Eternal Guards as they automatically reroll 1s anyway.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Aloth_Corfiser said:

Also a silly question concerning the new Battletome:
Is anyone else worried about the Sisters of the Watch and their Battleline Status for Wanderers?

I personally think this battletome will have nothing to do with wanderers, It's the free guild book with update for the firestorm city allegiances (of which wanderers can only be in Living city and Greywater Fastness).  I think it will add some cool new rules for the cities and may very well make it better to take them but I don't think it will include anything else for Wanderers. With what looks like Wanderers in the next underworlds I think that a separate battletome has to be on the books.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, GM_Monkey said:

I personally think this battletome will have nothing to do with wanderers, It's the free guild book with update for the firestorm city allegiances (of which wanderers can only be in Living city and Greywater Fastness).  I think it will add some cool new rules for the cities and may very well make it better to take them but I don't think it will include anything else for Wanderers. With what looks like Wanderers in the next underworlds I think that a separate battletome has to be on the books.

However, it did specifically showcase wanderer models directly next to the book, so its safe to say that they will be in the battle tome. 

• Like 1

Just now, nightsrage said:

However, it did specifically showcase wanderer models directly next to the book, so its safe to say that they will be in the battle tome. 

With the rest of the living city forces, Sylvaneth and Collegiate Arcane.  I just think it's an image of the city, I don't think it will cover Wanderers as an alligence ability or updated warscroll. This is however just my opinion.

39 minutes ago, GM_Monkey said:

With the rest of the living city forces, Sylvaneth and Collegiate Arcane.  I just think it's an image of the city, I don't think it will cover Wanderers as an alligence ability or updated warscroll. This is however just my opinion.

So do you think they will knock glade guard and waywatcher to 'legend' status? I wish they could just tell us now. I'm about to paint some sisters of the watch. But if they are about to be deleted, I wouldn't bother. 

sisters of the watch will be safe. They showed off a Shadow Warrior when show casing some models. Perhaps with most of swifthawks dying away as most of their battleline will be OoP, perhaps some of their units will move over and we will get Shadow Warriors? 

• Like 1

I think that Waywatcher and Glade guard are safe. Waywatchers were featured in AoS 2.0 preview with their -2 to hit with look out sir. Glade Guard although old have had the AoS rebrand and the circular bases.

I would suspect something like Reavers, High Warden or the Swordmaster might be in danger as they are no longer available (you can still get swordmaster fine cast, but no banner or musician or leader). Or maybe some of the older fine cast models.

However our metal range might be in danger, I only hope they replace it with something good.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GM_Monkey said:

(of which wanderers can only be in Living city and Greywater Fastness)

And Hammerhal, of course. The question remains as to whether each city's list of included factions remain the same or if we perhaps get added to a city like The Phoenicium - which is in Ghyran.

2 hours ago, GM_Monkey said:

I think that Waywatcher and Glade guard are safe.

2 hours ago, GM_Monkey said:

However our metal range might be in danger, I only hope they replace it with something good.

The fact that the Waywatcher is made of metal does make me worried (and our metal/finecast Spellweaver too!), but I'm trying to just go about my hobby business-as-usual - even if the Wayfinder and Waystrider (for example) get Legend'd I still want to paint them up for the exact reason I bought them: they're cool! Ultimately I think cautious optimism is the best stance here; no use worrying too much until we know more, hopefully soon. I would be so happy for a new plastic Waywatcher...

3 hours ago, GM_Monkey said:

With the rest of the living city forces, Sylvaneth and Collegiate Arcane.  I just think it's an image of the city, I don't think it will cover Wanderers as an alligence ability or updated warscroll.

I agree it's unlikely that Wanderers specifically will be addressed/updated as an allegiance I am hopeful of at least a few warscroll updates for us. Things that modernize the wording of certain rules - like making the Waywatcher's Invisible Hunter ability not specific to the Shooting Phase only but rather Shooting Attacks, making Shield of Thorns cause mortal wounds on unmodified 6s, things like that. Wouldn't be surprising to see our 'aura' style command abilties become 'wholly within X inches' but with an increase in range to match as well. 

Most of all I'd love to see the Wild Riders get fixed though, and this quote from @Nick in York on pg1188 of the rumor thread has me hopeful:

On 7/20/2019 at 10:22 AM, Nick in York said:

At the Open Day I got chance to speak to Sam Pearson (rules writer) about the Cities book. He obviously wouldn't say much but was very enthusiastic about it - I got the impression it was something of a passion project for him (this was backed up by lots of other GW staff encouraging me to speak to Sam whenever I mentioned that I was interested in the Cities book).

He said that he'd reviewed all the relevent warscrolls and had had to do a fair bit of tidying up with some of them to make them more realistic. The example he gave was something like a model which carried 2 weapons but warscroll had them using 3 in the same phase/turn. He also said that he had written rules to improve some of the weaknesses of AoS - his example was that cavalry currently "hit like a wet fish" and he'd tried to address that.

If Wild Riders can be true shock cavalry again and stop "[hitting] like a wet fish" (as one of GW's newer rules writers acknowledged), that would be amazing! Also he apparently mentioned 'reviewing' warscrolls, which I have to think can only be good for us! I'm also more optimistic to know that Sam was deeply involved in the Cities book; he really did a great job with the Warcry ruleset imho.

BTW - I'm hopeful that Wanderers can get rules for Warcry at some point, but for now I'm tempted to play either DoK using Wardancers as 'witch aelves' or IDK using  Wildwood Rangers as 'namarti thralls' and Glade Guard as 'narmati reavers.' Though first I'm waiting for a true reveal of what WHU: Beastgrave may hold in store for us, before I go investing at all in Warcry - too many game systems!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, GM_Monkey said:

I think that Waywatcher and Glade guard are safe. Waywatchers were featured in AoS 2.0 preview with their -2 to hit with look out sir. Glade Guard although old have had the AoS rebrand and the circular bases.

I would suspect something like Reavers, High Warden or the Swordmaster might be in danger as they are no longer available (you can still get swordmaster fine cast, but no banner or musician or leader). Or maybe some of the older fine cast models.

Ok thanks for the reassurance. If glade guard are safe I'm happy. I also really hope the waywatcher stays. 

I just can't see a cities book appealing to me in any way - I don't see myself allying in other factions to the wanderers. I've got my eldritch council dragon and that's all I want. Factions are so distinctive in style, I don't think I would mix them.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, awcamawn said:

Most of all I'd love to see the Wild Riders get fixed though, and this quote from 

If Wild Riders can be true shock cavalry again and stop "[hitting] like a wet fish" (as one of GW's newer rules writers acknowledged), that would be amazing! 

Thanks man. I really love the wild rider models. Not a fan of the gushing hair on the riders, bit the deer are fantastic. I hope they get the treatment this Sam chap is intimating they might. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sam24 said:

Ok thanks for the reassurance. If glade guard are safe I'm happy. I also really hope the waywatcher stays. 

I just can't see a cities book appealing to me in any way - I don't see myself allying in other factions to the wanderers. I've got my eldritch council dragon and that's all I want. Factions are so distinctive in style, I don't think I would mix them.

well there is also the updating of warscrolls, and other tome related things wanderers will be getting aswell as the opportunity to have squatted wood elf stuff brought back into the army by way of proxying other factions stuff and useing the same city. aswell as the option to kit bash stuff from the other factions to make new units with the wanderer aethetic

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Turin Turambar said:

well there is also the updating of warscrolls, and other tome related things wanderers will be getting aswell as the opportunity to have squatted wood elf stuff brought back into the army by way of proxying other factions stuff and useing the same city. aswell as the option to kit bash stuff from the other factions to make new units with the wanderer aethetic

^this

That's pretty much what I am going to be doing

• Like 1

Uh, that could be nice.

https://www.games-workshop.com/Warhammer-Chronicles-The-Orion-Trilogy-PB-2019?utm_campaign=BLPreOrder27072019&utm_source=Warhammer+Community&utm_medium=Post&utm_content=BLPreOrder27072019

Maybe the new Shadespire wood elf wild hunt beast warband thing could have something to do with Orion? I know, Orion is (supposed) to be dead in Age Of Sigmar, but you never know. Seems like an odd coincidence that they release this book now, don't you think? But maybe I'm reading too much into it. :D

Edited by martinwolf

On 7/26/2019 at 4:15 AM, Aloth_Corfiser said:

Also a silly question concerning the new Battletome:
Is anyone else worried about the Sisters of the Watch and their Battleline Status for Wanderers?

No because it is a Wanderers allegiance ability not a Cities of Sigmar ability.    Two different things.  

7 hours ago, martinwolf said:

Seems like an odd coincidence that they release this book now, don't you think? But maybe I'm reading too much into it. :D

Reading too much into it.  The book is due for a reprint if you have been paying attention to other Black Library old-world releases.