AoS 2 - Wanderers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

39 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

The Spellweaver brings back Wanderer models only, so would not work on allies or mercenaries.

i just mean that is kinda necromantic, so a mercenary necromancer and few skeletons could fit in the army in terms of lore.

Edited by GladeRider

5 hours ago, Aelfric said:

It seems perfectly logical that Wanderers (being wanderers) would have as much contact with nomadic human tribes, barbarian or otherwise. as they do with city-dwelling humans, if not more so.  I have always felt that Wanderers see the importance of balance to maintain the existence of the Realms more clearly than other factions within Order.  Therefore, acceptance of a certain amount of unaligned Chaos may be necessary from time to time to realign that balance.  Similarly, Destruction and Death are also necessary ingredients within an Holistic approach to the Realms.

In short, go for it.  After all, 40 wounds for 200 points is not to be sniffed at. :) 

Personally, I've been wondering whether it's possible to kitbash some Aelven skeletons and an Aelven Necromancer, so that the ancestors can be called upon to aid the living when the need is great.  Does anyone know if there are Aelven skulls in the GW skulls kit?

Idk about elven skulls but a simple green ghostly paint scheme ought to work?

And yeah on the skeletons I have a very Golgari theme to my Sylvaneth as is so I was considering a nice big block of risen vine wrapped skeletons.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

I played a game of Meeting Engagements last week against a GA Order army (effectively mixed dawi plus a regular hurricanum). A buddy wanted to try things out, and I was itching for a game. 

We played The Raid, with my army being:

1x of each hero besides the Spellweaver (don't have her yet)

10 WWR

2X20 Glade Guard

NnP general, with Forget-Me-Knot and better teleport, 40 points left over for a triumph. Got the one with battleshock immunity, and it saved my Glade Guard that took a bunch of damage from his Hurricanum while I didn't have CP available. 

Neither of us had read the battleplans before we started, I put one unit into each contingent with two heroes in the main body. He had frontloaded his spearhead with Grundstok Thunderers that arrived much later into the game than he had anticipated. We fought it out to a draw, not being able to keep a hold of more than two objectives until scoring, and alternating who scored on kill points. 

I find myself liking the "slow burn" style that ME offers, and while I can get overwhelmed with a larger number of units on the field, creating a plan with 2-3 units and adding on new units turn by turn was completely managable. 

• Like 2

On 6/28/2019 at 6:32 PM, Aelfric said:

Personally, I've been wondering whether it's possible to kitbash some Aelven skeletons and an Aelven Necromancer, so that the ancestors can be called upon to aid the living when the need is great.  Does anyone know if there are Aelven skulls in the GW skulls kit?

Funny you should mention. I've been working on these for a Regiment of Renown. Tempted to go up to 10 models for a Mercenary option, but converting the helmets is a *lot* of work filing off the head and drilling out the face. On the plus side, if you've got a box of skeletons and the spare bits from making some WWR, they aren't that expensive to make.

IMG_4106 (2).jpg

IMG_4115 - Copy (2).jpg

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Gwill_of_the_Woods said:

@DionTheWanderer- that work clearly paid off. That model looks great and nice commitment to a concept.

Are you also going to make a Necromancer?

Thank you! I have a lightly-converted spellweaver who in my fluff (I’m primarily a narrative player)  is dabbling with raising the dead. I’ll proxy her either for a necromancer or maybe a vampire lord - I’m trying out Knights of the Blood Drenched Rose on Friday.

If you’re keen on fluff, please have a look (apologies to those who have seen it before) :

https://link.medium.com/0jRgJJQ0ZX

Edited by DionTheWanderer
  • Like 2

I've got a 1k list this weekend, and because the new Sylvaneth book is delayed forever, I'm playing exclusively Wanderers until it drops. I did some tinkering and realized that I can field a NP, a WW general, 2x10 SotW, and 2x20 WWR for exactly 1k. I'd have no casting at all, but I'd also probably shoot and/or chop most things off the board. I could also go with 1 group of WWR and use the 240 points for other stuff, but I kind of think that maximum choppy is the way to go.

• Like 4

I was wondering with Wanderers are gona be part of the "light" Aelves. Kinda like Spiderfang is a part of Gloomspite or the clans are parts of Skaventide but didnt lose their keywords.

Imagine the following: Aelves book, with Wanderers and current High Elves. Your general would determine your "Elf type", so you could play Wanderers like you already do,  and the new miniatures had a visual that bridges the gaps bettwen High and Wood elves.

I think it would be a win win scenario!

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Rahatlin said:

Not a best picture quality but what do you guys think about these Wildwood Ragers version?

Green on two guys on left is too green becouse of lamp near changing color -___-

20190702_220228.jpg.e08bc1039331042b3f2f167da30fc5ca.jpg20190702_220137.jpg.fbd6e7d36ca6465bd7d1aca90e855310.jpg

They look awesome! Great job! The Lion Rangers bodies with the fur on the back really fits the Wildwood Rangers nicely. Visually and also fluff wise. Fits in with the rules nicely, too.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, martinwolf said:

They look awesome! Great job! The Lion Rangers bodies with the fur on the back really fits the Wildwood Rangers nicely. Visually and also fluff wise. Fits in with the rules nicely, too.

Thank you! That basicly what came into my mind about furs.

I went for leather boots and gloves instead of metal since WWR only have save of 5+ so i kidna wanted to reflect that.

Currently looking for a cool way to convert Phoenix Guards as i want to include them into army but i want them to fit into army theme

• Like 1

On 7/3/2019 at 4:15 AM, Rahatlin said:

Not a best picture quality but what do you guys think about these Wildwood Ragers version?

Green on two guys on left is too green becouse of lamp near changing color -___-

20190702_220228.jpg.e08bc1039331042b3f2f167da30fc5ca.jpg20190702_220137.jpg.fbd6e7d36ca6465bd7d1aca90e855310.jpg

These guys look super rad! I might snag a box of lion rangers to use the same purpose, they're exactly in the right theme for my beast realm wanderers!

• Like 1

I finished my first unit of Sisters of the Watch. After painting the test model I decided to swap out all the other heads and use the hooded heads from the Glade Guards. It’s a theme that runs through my army, everything that can have a hood, will probably get one. :D 

The sister without the hood will act as the High Sister, even though the pose is just the regular one. Would be even better if the unique pose (second row, right) had the normal head, but I’m afraid to break too much when trying to swap the two.

Hope you like ‘em!

04F236A1-D4A5-4835-9009-6700A1453EC3.jpeg.5f97874e7ac6a8413011f89a0df40407.jpeg

768433A0-88C7-4D49-9EA5-0582DA17F212.jpeg.338a7a99d573a6edaa292b94a6eea266.jpeg

18D8B834-970F-4CB9-8457-DA821F6F1D7A.jpeg.a8a66a9c63f6f855ed130ca07dca6be2.jpeg

A4C6B343-CBEB-4BD2-9666-08215B572C9B.jpeg.e732acaae7ecd8b2138739e0b9013c5c.jpeg

It was my first try at dirty cloaks, done by dry brushing. I like the result.

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 4

34 minutes ago, martinwolf said:

I finished my first unit of Sisters of the Watch. After painting the test model I decided to swap out all the other heads and use the hooded heads from the Glade Guards. It’s a theme that runs through my army, everything that can have a hood, will probably get one. :D 

The sister without the hood will act as the High Sister, even though the pose is just the regular one. Would be even better if the unique pose (second row, right) had the normal head, but I’m afraid to break too much when trying to swap the two.

Hope you like ‘em!

These are looking great. I like how you went for darker blueish bows and dirt on cloacks looks nice. Question about GG heads- did you had to do trim alot?  as i know SoTW bodies have kidna high collar thingie, or did they fit just fine? 

One thing i dont like about SoTW bodies is the heart on belts, thinking on a way to carve them out or replace with shadow warrior bodies but its troublesome 😐

So, I had  my first game with Wanderers today at 1500pts. It As exciting as it was, I'm curious to know a few things:

1) When is the right time to move up with Eternal Guard vs Boughing up?
2) I've read somewhere in this thread that one of the more viable ways to deploy is to castle up and wait for them to come to you; what is the best way to go about that and/or is there a way to move up in a defensive ball and take objectives?

1 hour ago, robbobobo said:

So, I had  my first game with Wanderers today at 1500pts. It As exciting as it was, I'm curious to know a few things:

2) I've read somewhere in this thread that one of the more viable ways to deploy is to castle up and wait for them to come to you; what is the best way to go about that and/or is there a way to move up in a defensive ball and take objectives?

i only used once but.. i charged after shooting support from other unit and took objectives. Then a lot of stabbas charged my EG and i lost few, but the last 14 guys took the defensive stance and sticked whole game there vs stabas. BTw if enemy takes double then you are not able to ude the defensive stance.. so its so risky... I'm still not sure whats the best way to use them... maybe the best use is to deploy close to enemy, inside cover if possible, and just bait.. I don't see them as natural objective takers nor defenders, becouse you need them on frontline.

Edited by GladeRider

8 hours ago, martinwolf said:

Hope you like ‘em!

These look way, way better than the default models. SoTW look so out of place in a wood-elf type army, it's not even funny.  When only the leader has the luxurious blonde hair out, they look so much better!

On 7/4/2019 at 11:04 AM, Rahatlin said:

These are looking great. I like how you went for darker blueish bows and dirt on cloacks looks nice. Question about GG heads- did you had to do trim alot?  as i know SoTW bodies have kidna high collar thingie, or did they fit just fine? 

One thing i dont like about SoTW bodies is the heart on belts, thinking on a way to carve them out or replace with shadow warrior bodies but its troublesome 😐

Thank you! I had to carve out a bit out of the Glade Guards heads. But it’s tricky, you can’t carve too much because the back of the head will hit the high collar of the cloak. But I think it looks good enough and wasn’t too much work.

Yes, I’m not the biggest fan or the hearts either. Doesn’t really fit the Wanderers aesthetic (at least what I’m going for), but in the end I think I’ll just live with it.

On 7/4/2019 at 11:36 AM, Gwill_of_the_Woods said:

@martinwolf- Those archers look amazing!!! Really nice work! :D 

Thank you very much!

17 hours ago, Zanzou said:

These look way, way better than the default models. SoTW look so out of place in a wood-elf type army, it's not even funny.  When only the leader has the luxurious blonde hair out, they look so much better!

Thank you! I agree 100%. I wish they would have kicked out the Sisters and just kept the Waywatchers in the Wanderers faction. I don’t even care what the rules are, tho I even like the Waywatcher rules in AoS more than the Sisters of the Watch. Not the biggest fan of the old Waywatcher models, but you could make epic conversions for them. I even have very very old metal Waywatchers and Pathfinders (?) from back in the day, they still look really cool. 

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

13 minutes ago, martinwolf said:

Yes, I’m not the biggest fan or the hearts either. Doesn’t really fit the Wanderers aesthetic (at least what I’m going for), but in the end I think I’ll just live with

Yesterday i did experiment with front of Shadow Warrior chest to get rid of hearts. Idea was to take SW chest, cut out SoTW hands from their chest- apply to SW chest so the magic bows would suit.

I also cut out shoulder pads from SW chests coz i didnt like them. I must say it turned out nice- dont have picture on me unfortunetly. All that left is add GG or WWR heads. I will post result when i got one ready

4 hours ago, martinwolf said:

Thank you! I agree 100%. I wish they would have kicked out the Sisters and just kept the Waywatchers in the Wanderers faction. I don’t even care what the rules are, tho I even like the Waywatcher rules in AoS more than the Sisters of the Watch. Not the biggest fan of the old Waywatcher models, but you could make epic conversions for them. I even have very very old metal Waywatchers and Pathfinders (?) from back in the day, they still look really cool. 

I had bought 15 waywatchers from ebay the year before GW decided to pull the "wanderers" keyword from them :(.  They are amazing and everything I would want out of stealthy wood elves.  For the few people still uninitiated:

Image result for waywatchers warhammer

Image result for waywatchers warhammer

• LOVE IT! 1

On 7/2/2019 at 11:08 AM, overtninja said:

I've got a 1k list this weekend, and because the new Sylvaneth book is delayed forever, I'm playing exclusively Wanderers until it drops. I did some tinkering and realized that I can field a NP, a WW general, 2x10 SotW, and 2x20 WWR for exactly 1k. I'd have no casting at all, but I'd also probably shoot and/or chop most things off the board. I could also go with 1 group of WWR and use the 240 points for other stuff, but I kind of think that maximum choppy is the way to go.

I find I'm only healing the cavalry and casting Shield of Thorns.  Otherwise,.. without a spell lore meh to caster.  Just take more WW heroes :P

On 7/4/2019 at 2:54 AM, robbobobo said:

I've been using mine on an objective with Sisters of the thorn back a bit hiding and a Spellweaver supporting them further back.  You ideally are putting them in a place to bait a charge and/or defend an objective.  Also t ry to get them into cover for the +1 save with Shield of Thorns when they get charged.

27 minutes ago, Zanzou said:

I had bought 15 waywatchers from ebay the year before GW decided to pull the "wanderers" keyword from them :(.  They are amazing and everything I would want out of stealthy wood elves.  For the few people still uninitiated:

I use mine as Sisters of the Watch.  

• Like 1