AoS 2 - Wanderers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

6 hours ago, Aelfric said:

The problem I have with Allariele is that, as the Everqueen, she merged with Isha, Aelven Goddess of Nature, during the End Times which ensured she would survive as the Incarnate of Life in the new reality.  But she rejected her Aelven heritage and her people without explanation.  The old Wood Elves worshipped Isha in the Old World and she cared for them, but in her new form she has abandoned the descendants of her followers. 

I'll be honest, that kinda bugs me too.  I get that Isha is a life goddess but a great deal of her portfolio (and Alarielle's previous life) revolved around her love for and protection of the elvish people.  Hell, I could even see Ariel becoming this person more easily.

On the other hand she has had aeons beyond measuring to change into this new person.  And we don't even know what her earlier seasonal incarnations were like, or their opinions regarding the aelven race.  Could the Wanderer/Sylvaneth split have been worse for her than we know?

• Like 3

Back from yesterday testing. It was 1500 pts Wanderers against SCE. From the beginning I knew it was not a good matchup (I think we can do gigantic ****** against SCE) and we decided to try the bouncing orb Battleplan, nontheless I tried my best.....and miserably failed!!!?

Wanderers: Nomad Prince (I also forgot to take a second artifact due to the batallion but I think it would not have made the difference), Spellweaver, Waywatcher general with +1 to hit trait, Waywatcher, Waystrider with Forget-me-knot, 2x10 EG, 10xSotW, 10x WWR, 5x WR, 5xSotT

SCE: Lord Celestant on Dracoth, Lord relictor, Lord Castellant+gryph-hound, Knight Heraldor, 10xLiberators w/ swords, 2xDracoths, 2x5 Judicators, 3xLongstrikes. (cannot remember artifacts but didn t really matter)

First point, he had more shooting than me and therefore he hit hard on my EG shield-units and second turn they where out. Second point I had no ways of dealing with his dracoths a part from shielding them and considering the EG went in 2 turns I had to use the WR which disappeared in one swing.

I deploy everything leaving the WR behind to avoid him deploying in the storm (or whatever the name of the ability is) and decide to go first (in hindsight I could have deployed further away from him and let him have the first turn but the objective was only one and I had to push forward) so I could grab the objective and shoot at him without him having buffs on his units. Used the waywatcher CA and made all his shooting -1 to hit which at least took away the mortal wounds on the Longstrikes. Got magic off to try and protect my units a bit. Moved the general along the side of the board to shoot without penalties but first roll went bad against judicators and that was the only chance I had to get rid of one entire unit. After that he would get cover into the wood and survive the rest of the game. Moved my WWR into cover alongside with the Waystrider and moved up a bit everything. Shooting did very little as I had to move to get in range. His first turn he get his buffs off and moves forward starting to pepper my EG with his shooting. Dracoths charge one unit of EG Celestant misses long charge. Liberators get in range of the objective and capture.  1-1

The objective moves. Second turn I win roll off and decide to take it. None of the magic is successful, and I decide to use my 2 CP for the 2 main CA (waywatcher and Nomad Prince), shooting from the batallion rule does ****** killing maybe one or two Libs. . I move forward the WWR and Waystrider to engage the LCoD, shuffle forward with the remaining EG but already they are useless...too few to be effective in anything. WR go shield the Dracoths which in the meantime they deleted the other EG unit. The SotT regain the obj making me scoring. The general keeps shooting bad at the Judicators in the wood and SotW kill another Lib or two but with their rule they heal wounds back. I manage to charge the LCoD using Forget-me-knot...........and I go short one single wound!!!!!!!!!! His second turn he gets most of his buffs off but cannot heal the LCoD back. Knight Heraldor deals a bunch of MW with his horn blowing (I recon it is legit his MVP as he dealt I think at least 10 MW in all game ). He moves everything forward again and shoots finishing my EG and targeting the WWR for a couple of wounds. he charges and atomize the WR with his Dracoths. Libs charge the SotT+ NP and they do not do much a part from recapturing the obj while my NP defends himself well. His LCoD whiffs a lot of attacks and I try, with a much less efficient unit, to finish him off but between 5 WWR and a Waystrider the result of the DMG dealt is.....0 wounds!!!!!!!!!! the Celestant is still alive as he saves everything!! 2-2

Objective moves again toward me ( I got very lucky with the bouncing but if not the game would have been over by now). He eventually double turns me and here is where thing get unfix-able. All his buffs go off(Libs can now retreat and charge do to the Heraldor ability), Dracoths advance, LCoD flee to avoid death and shooting delete my unit of WWR. Lord Castellant engage on the Waystrider (which BTW goes very close to killing the ****** lantern-bearer but again he saves incredibly high. On the other flank SptT+NP hold the Libs which retreat in the moving phase and charge toward the SotW (NP is pulled back into the fight) that anyway were halved already by his shooting. On my go I can only put the NP CA to try and hit a bit harder and again I manages to whiff all the magic (but I don t really know what benefit would have brought me). Waystrider resist one more fight outnumbered (gryph-hound was there too). Waywatcher general went picking mushrooms. As the obj moved toward me I regain it and he cannot get enough Libs to at least contest it. 3-2

Objective bounces twice and toward him so from then on I can just Hope and Pray it then moves toward my Waywatcher general who is alone picking mushrooms. He wins again and go first, heals up the LCoD whih is not useful anymore as it wont charge. shooting finishes Waystrier (RIP) SotT and SotW. Dracoths charge Spellweaver and Waywatcher deleting them. Castellant captures obj Libs do nothing against NP. My turn Waywatcher general comes back from mushroom picking and cannot do ****** again as he saves everything. NP last breath of life managed to kill a couple of Libs leaving just the Champion but the perishes badly. 3-3

Objective moves in the wrong direction and I concede he wins 3-4 with a suboptimal performance on my side and on the Wanderers side.

As I said I got luck with the bounces but I found extremely difficult to put dmg out. The battalion abilities I found them useless at least in this situation (I could not keep all the Waywatchers close to me as I tried to get rid of at least one unit of Judicators, and SotW plus SotT were not enough to do substantial dmg). Realm wanderers looks very underwhelming as only one unit moving is just not enough (plus again, the battle plan did not really make it easy) although Forget-me-knot combo'd with the WWR can be knee-capping. I really liked it. Maybe I could have done something differently and I will definitely try this list again and against somebody else as SCE are a prohibitive army for us to beat, but all in all I am not satisfied with how it played. I think getting read of the WR and doubling on SotW (either 1x20 or 2x10) and WWR might be the way to go. I thing If we want to try and play at a higher level Wanderers have to be played  more CC oriented with no more than 2 units that shoot (without considering the Waywatchers). I am sure I remember somebody posting a list like 2x30WWR, 2x30GG, 1x30EG and some hroes (maybe even allies like a Phoenix) and I wanna say that now that they have reduced the cost for them, WWR might indeed be the way to go. comparing their stats with other armies units the are competitive and basing our armies on them might be beneficial (from model count point of view also as we would have more elitè army).

Cheers

@Kugane.

Hey man, I stumbled across this video

and I remembered you were trying to find out how to blend a blue-green iridescent effect color. Check it out!

On the Youtube page it also has links to the creator (at least this is what is advertised in here) of the blending technique if it can be useful for other projects. I will definitely give it a go at some point.

Enjoy

Edited by Frozenbeast
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Speaking of painting, I really like the greenish skin of the GW Wild Riders. Does anyone know how they got that look, or a similar one? I checked the WarhammerTV channel but while there's a tutorial on painting the stags there's not one for the riders.

I just tried Ionrach/Biel-tan (watered)/Deepkin/Pallid Wych but it may be a little too yellow for me.  Maybe a Waywatcher glaze will fix it?  I think next I'll try Rakarth/Biel-tan/Pallid Wych next.

Edited by Thalassic Monstrosity

4 hours ago, Frozenbeast said:

Back from yesterday testing. It was 1500 pts Wanderers against SCE. From the beginning I knew it was not a good matchup (I think we can do gigantic ****** against SCE) and we decided to try the bouncing orb Battleplan, nontheless I tried my best.....and miserably failed!!!?

Wanderers: Nomad Prince (I also forgot to take a second artifact due to the batallion but I think it would not have made the difference), Spellweaver, Waywatcher general with +1 to hit trait, Waywatcher, Waystrider with Forget-me-knot, 2x10 EG, 10xSotW, 10x WWR, 5x WR, 5xSotT

SCE: Lord Celestant on Dracoth, Lord relictor, Lord Castellant+gryph-hound, Knight Heraldor, 10xLiberators w/ swords, 2xDracoths, 2x5 Judicators, 3xLongstrikes. (cannot remember artifacts but didn t really matter)

First point, he had more shooting than me and therefore he hit hard on my EG shield-units and second turn they where out. Second point I had no ways of dealing with his dracoths a part from shielding them and considering the EG went in 2 turns I had to use the WR which disappeared in one swing.

I deploy everything leaving the WR behind to avoid him deploying in the storm (or whatever the name of the ability is) and decide to go first (in hindsight I could have deployed further away from him and let him have the first turn but the objective was only one and I had to push forward) so I could grab the objective and shoot at him without him having buffs on his units. Used the waywatcher CA and made all his shooting -1 to hit which at least took away the mortal wounds on the Longstrikes. Got magic off to try and protect my units a bit. Moved the general along the side of the board to shoot without penalties but first roll went bad against judicators and that was the only chance I had to get rid of one entire unit. After that he would get cover into the wood and survive the rest of the game. Moved my WWR into cover alongside with the Waystrider and moved up a bit everything. Shooting did very little as I had to move to get in range. His first turn he get his buffs off and moves forward starting to pepper my EG with his shooting. Dracoths charge one unit of EG Celestant misses long charge. Liberators get in range of the objective and capture.  1-1

The objective moves. Second turn I win roll off and decide to take it. None of the magic is successful, and I decide to use my 2 CP for the 2 main CA (waywatcher and Nomad Prince), shooting from the batallion rule does ****** killing maybe one or two Libs. . I move forward the WWR and Waystrider to engage the LCoD, shuffle forward with the remaining EG but already they are useless...too few to be effective in anything. WR go shield the Dracoths which in the meantime they deleted the other EG unit. The SotT regain the obj making me scoring. The general keeps shooting bad at the Judicators in the wood and SotW kill another Lib or two but with their rule they heal wounds back. I manage to charge the LCoD using Forget-me-knot...........and I go short one single wound!!!!!!!!!! His second turn he gets most of his buffs off but cannot heal the LCoD back. Knight Heraldor deals a bunch of MW with his horn blowing (I recon it is legit his MVP as he dealt I think at least 10 MW in all game ). He moves everything forward again and shoots finishing my EG and targeting the WWR for a couple of wounds. he charges and atomize the WR with his Dracoths. Libs charge the SotT+ NP and they do not do much a part from recapturing the obj while my NP defends himself well. His LCoD whiffs a lot of attacks and I try, with a much less efficient unit, to finish him off but between 5 WWR and a Waystrider the result of the DMG dealt is.....0 wounds!!!!!!!!!! the Celestant is still alive as he saves everything!! 2-2

Objective moves again toward me ( I got very lucky with the bouncing but if not the game would have been over by now). He eventually double turns me and here is where thing get unfix-able. All his buffs go off(Libs can now retreat and charge do to the Heraldor ability), Dracoths advance, LCoD flee to avoid death and shooting delete my unit of WWR. Lord Castellant engage on the Waystrider (which BTW goes very close to killing the ****** lantern-bearer but again he saves incredibly high. On the other flank SptT+NP hold the Libs which retreat in the moving phase and charge toward the SotW (NP is pulled back into the fight) that anyway were halved already by his shooting. On my go I can only put the NP CA to try and hit a bit harder and again I manages to whiff all the magic (but I don t really know what benefit would have brought me). Waystrider resist one more fight outnumbered (gryph-hound was there too). Waywatcher general went picking mushrooms. As the obj moved toward me I regain it and he cannot get enough Libs to at least contest it. 3-2

Objective bounces twice and toward him so from then on I can just Hope and Pray it then moves toward my Waywatcher general who is alone picking mushrooms. He wins again and go first, heals up the LCoD whih is not useful anymore as it wont charge. shooting finishes Waystrier (RIP) SotT and SotW. Dracoths charge Spellweaver and Waywatcher deleting them. Castellant captures obj Libs do nothing against NP. My turn Waywatcher general comes back from mushroom picking and cannot do ****** again as he saves everything. NP last breath of life managed to kill a couple of Libs leaving just the Champion but the perishes badly. 3-3

Objective moves in the wrong direction and I concede he wins 3-4 with a suboptimal performance on my side and on the Wanderers side.

As I said I got luck with the bounces but I found extremely difficult to put dmg out. The battalion abilities I found them useless at least in this situation (I could not keep all the Waywatchers close to me as I tried to get rid of at least one unit of Judicators, and SotW plus SotT were not enough to do substantial dmg). Realm wanderers looks very underwhelming as only one unit moving is just not enough (plus again, the battle plan did not really make it easy) although Forget-me-knot combo'd with the WWR can be knee-capping. I really liked it. Maybe I could have done something differently and I will definitely try this list again and against somebody else as SCE are a prohibitive army for us to beat, but all in all I am not satisfied with how it played. I think getting read of the WR and doubling on SotW (either 1x20 or 2x10) and WWR might be the way to go. I thing If we want to try and play at a higher level Wanderers have to be played  more CC oriented with no more than 2 units that shoot (without considering the Waywatchers). I am sure I remember somebody posting a list like 2x30WWR, 2x30GG, 1x30EG and some hroes (maybe even allies like a Phoenix) and I wanna say that now that they have reduced the cost for them, WWR might indeed be the way to go. comparing their stats with other armies units the are competitive and basing our armies on them might be beneficial (from model count point of view also as we would have more elitè army).

Cheers

Thanks for the battle report! :) I noticed you Said ”I deploy everything leaving the WR behind to avoid him deploying in the storm (or whatever the name of the ability is) and decide to go first”. Can you explain? Doesnt Every unit need to be deployed 6” from board edge?

Edited by Ohnoflash

3 hours ago, Frozenbeast said:

@Kugane.

Hey man, I stumbled across this video

and I remembered you were trying to find out how to blend a blue-green iridescent effect color. Check it out!

On the Youtube page it also has links to the creator (at least this is what is advertised in here) of the blending technique if it can be useful for other projects. I will definitely give it a go at some point.

Enjoy

Thank you so much for that. Thats exactly the kind of colour i was looking for. I will save it as soon I get on my pc!

@Frozenbeast I always viewed wanderers as a shooting army, so my lists tend to double down on the shooting aspect. I just find it off that you feel combat is the way to go, as pur combat units seem like a trap to me (eternal guard have 'okay' defence, wild riders are useless in combat without rend, wwr are still pretty expensive)

4 hours ago, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

Speaking of painting, I really like the greenish skin of the GW Wild Riders. Does anyone know how they got that look, or a similar one? I checked the WarhammerTV channel but while there's a tutorial on painting the stags there's not one for the riders.

I just tried Ionrach/Biel-tan (watered)/Deepkin/Pallid Wych but it may be a little too yellow for me.  Maybe a Waywatcher glaze will fix it?  I think next I'll try Rakarth/Biel-tan/Pallid Wych next.

The second color combination you list is the right one 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, adreal said:

@Frozenbeast I always viewed wanderers as a shooting army, so my lists tend to double down on the shooting aspect. I just find it off that you feel combat is the way to go, as pur combat units seem like a trap to me (eternal guard have 'okay' defence, wild riders are useless in combat without rend, wwr are still pretty expensive)

Well, me too. The thing is that, considering the point reduction to wwr and SotW I see the army shifted a lot more toward CC and without the GG as they are not consistent (if ee take in consideration thatwe cannot  keep them safe anymore thanks to the changes to Realm Wanderers. 

Do you really think they are still too expensive for a 2" 2a 3+ 3+ - 1 with high bravery? 

4 hours ago, Ohnoflash said:

Thanks for the battle report! :) I noticed you Said ”I deploy everything leaving the WR behind to avoid him deploying in the storm (or whatever the name of the ability is) and decide to go first”. Can you explain? Doesnt Every unit need to be deployed 6” from board edge?

Leaving the WR behing the rest of my army. Physically behind not behind as in to be able to deploy the with the battalion ability. SCE can be kept "in the storm" and deep stiked 9" away from enemy units. So because I did not want this to happen behind my lines (and the deployment for this battle plan is basically siagonal), I deployed my WR basicalli in the corner, so bwhind all my other units, to avoid this to happen. 

Is it clearer? ?

@Frozenbeast it's not so much the unit is expensive for the stats, but when we look at our alliegnece abilites as well, then I feel like we are paying for a unit that doesn't flow with the rest of the army.

Sure we can make a combat wanderers army, but at that stage, there is little point to staying pure wanderers, and then you compare them to other order combat units.

6 hours ago, Frozenbeast said:

Well, me too. The thing is that, considering the point reduction to wwr and SotW I see the army shifted a lot more toward CC and without the GG as they are not consistent (if ee take in consideration thatwe cannot  keep them safe anymore thanks to the changes to Realm Wanderers. 

Do you really think they are still too expensive for a 2" 2a 3+ 3+ - 1 with high bravery? 

Leaving the WR behing the rest of my army. Physically behind not behind as in to be able to deploy the with the battalion ability. SCE can be kept "in the storm" and deep stiked 9" away from enemy units. So because I did not want this to happen behind my lines (and the deployment for this battle plan is basically siagonal), I deployed my WR basicalli in the corner, so bwhind all my other units, to avoid this to happen. 

Is it clearer? ?

Yes they are too expensive for those stats... they are better but still a niche unit that needs to be put against monsters. General damage output should come from somewhere else I'd say.

12 hours ago, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

I used Rotting flesh/ Nurgling green, then washed with bieltan green, then highlights of rotting flesh, and for a final highlight of Nurgling green mixed with a little bit of white.

I hope this helps :)

WP_20180625_21_28_06_Pro.jpg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Aezeal said:

Yes they are too expensive for those stats... they are better but still a niche unit that needs to be put against monsters. General damage output should come from somewhere else I'd say.

But that is the thing. Which other unit? I think GG are not consistent enough. And in wanderers army the most consistent now are SotW Waywatcher and WWR imo. I am ok taking one big unit of GG for alfa strike but then what? Enemy armies will not have just one strong unit, so when the strongest goes we will still have to face other, full strenght, units. I m just a bit puzzled on how to pull out consistent reliable dmg. 

Wild wood rangers are under appreciated. They have a 2” reach on a small base!Used correctly, they do lots of damage because it is really easy to get all models in combat. A unit of 30 means a realistically achieved 61 attacks. I always take a block of 30. They lose effectiveness in smaller amounts; 10 is pointless. 

Balance is critical in any AOS army and WWR are a great combat unit. They are compatible with wanderer tricks, so they are more versatile than allies. Alternatively, you could take an allied combat unit, but this potentially limits your game tactics. However, Thralls with a scyrer works really well.

And someone mentioned shooting out of combat for the nomad battalion volley thing. I disagree that it lets you ignore the combat restriction. That’s how I interpret it and play my games like that. I always err to the opponents advantage on vague rules. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Graftonianman said:

Wild wood rangers are under appreciated. They have a 2” reach on a small base!Used correctly, they do lots of damage because it is really easy to get all models in combat. A unit of 30 means a realistically achieved 61 attacks. I always take a block of 30. They lose effectiveness in smaller amounts; 10 is pointless. 

Balance is critical in any AOS army and WWR are a great combat unit. They are compatible with wanderer tricks, so they are more versatile than allies. Alternatively, you could take an allied combat unit, but this potentially limits your game tactics. However, Thralls with a scyrer works really well.

And someone mentioned shooting out of combat for the nomad battalion volley thing. I disagree that it lets you ignore the combat restriction. That’s how I interpret it and play my games like that. I always err to the opponents advantage on vague rules. 

No self respecting opponent will let them reach their lines intact. There is literally no reason for them to target anything else if you have such a unit on the table.

23 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

No self respecting opponent will let them reach their lines intact. There is literally no reason for them to target anything else if you have such a unit on the table.

You’re getting into gameplay tactics. Of course they are a target. So are GG before their nuclear strike. That’s not an excuse to avoid bringing them. “...it’s how you use it!” :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Graftonianman said:

You’re getting into gameplay tactics. Of course they are a target. So are GG before their nuclear strike. That’s not an excuse to avoid bringing them. “...it’s how you use it!” :)

GG are MUCH less of a target, especially if you think their only value is in that single attack.. it's still only 30 dice... this are 61 dice at better hit and wound rolls that will hit in the enemies combat phase too.  But maybe the WWR are acceptable as all purpose killers at their current price point.. we'll have to see.. their armor save just makes the rather vulnerable considering the target they have on their back. But they will certainly be worth their points when put against  monsters.

4 hours ago, Aezeal said:

So is this enough for us to not use a unit that HAS to be shot down in our lists? I fully understand the fluff component in Wanderers that makes you lean towaed shooting more than CC. But I fully agree here. WWR are our best unit and we have to start playing them if we want to have a chance of victory sometimes (imo of course). Let s ally something else that takes the attention of our enemies if we are concerned about WWR being targeted. Give them some sort of target saturation. Now we have endless spells that we can use (the palissade for example to hide our units, or the pendulum for mortal wounds, or anyway some offensive spells even the sun!! ) I think they might be very useful. 

Nomad Prince 

Spellweaver 

Waywatcher (General) 

Waywatcher 

Waywatcher 

20x EG 

20x GG

20x SotW

10x SotW

5x WR

5x SotT

Waystone Pathfinder

What do you guys think of this list? I played with it against SCE yesterday and did good dmg to his army but lost because I had 0 victory points on Battleplan: Escalation (3 objectives diagonal, each generating 1 VP after battleround 2 on your turn.

SCE list:

Lord Aquilor

Lord celestant

Lord Relictor

Lord Clesta

Neave Blacktalon

10x Liberators

10x Liberators

5x Retributors

3x Vanguard-Palladors

6x Vanguard Raptors

What do you think of both these lists? I felt I lacked mobility. And I simply dont know if the Waystone battalion is worth it. Maybe I just need a lot of practice using it + optimize my Armylist.

Anyway, all thoughts are welcome!

I´ll give you footage of my formation (that unfortunally was very imobile for grabbing points, looks awesome IMO ^^ (Green GG behind the EG are proxys for SotW)

Cheers

/Ohnoflash

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0210.jpg

• Like 1

I really like the idea of a unit of 30 rangers, but haven't been able to fit so many WWR into a list. I've had some success with a unit of just 10 rangers personally (was able to kill a Stardrake for the first time in my last game). Between Blessing of Life, Shield of Thorns, and the Waywatcher's 'See but do not be seen' command ability we have some tools to protect them. Don't forget that although Shield of Thorns lost some of it's mortal wound punch with the Mystic Shield nerf, it's now just a much, much better version of Mystic Shield that casts on the same value; imho Shield of Thorns is currently one of the best defensive spells in the game (which thanks to the strength of mixed order lists is the reason Sisters of the Thorn are still 220 points).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Frozenbeast said:

... Enemy armies will not have just one strong unit, so when the strongest goes we will still have to face other, full strenght, units. I m just a bit puzzled on how to pull out consistent reliable dmg. 

This is why I run 60—90 glade guard. Just nuke the 2-3 key enemy units. 

Even with the discounts, I still do not see SotW or WWR as being viable choices. Despite the points increase and movement nerf GG and waywatchers are still our best option.

Now if SotW had rend it would be a different story... 

Has anyone else noticed the parallels between  the Soulsnare Shackles spell and our old friend the Glade Captain Battle Standard Bearer from compendium?  The banner of the forests from the Standard bearer halves the opposing units move characteristic by half..... Cast Shackles and you have effectively neutered a units move into the ground HAHAHA  

• Like 1

I was planning to put all my Wanderer heroes in 32mm bases (same as the Nomad Prince). I see that the official base size list has all the other heroes on 25mm bases though.

Has anyone else put their heroes on 32mm bases?  And are there any issues when playing if not on the official sizes?

The spellweaver with staff especially seems to need a larger bases as she’s quite unstable on a 25mm.