AoS 2 - Dispossessed Discussion

Chris Tomlin

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2018 at 1:50 PM, Gecktron said:

So, I had thought about this for a while now.  In what direction do you think GW should take the Dispossessed? What concept should they take and turn up to 11, like they did with machines and slayers (Kharadron Overlords and Fyreslayers). 

Recently they stated in the White Dwarf that duardin are nearly immune to necromancy. Maybe GW could combine this with their ancestor worship in the world that was and make the Dispossessed into a anti-nagash "dead" faction. As they venerate the dead but their souls dont go to Shyish/Nagash. 

Warhammer: Total War had the ghosts of dead heroes supporting Belegar Ironhammer on his quest. Maybe they could try something similar with the ghosts/souls of dead ancestor supporting the duardin forces? 

Also, with Grimnir and Grungi accounted for, Valaya is the only one of the three still missing. So this could be a opportunity to re-introduce her. 

Everything you said here is exactly what ive built my army to be. Like, exactly.

My paint scheme is copying my Total War army, including ghosts and renown units. The ghosts are old world heroes that have awoken in shyish, they built a cogfort, and now theyre looking for valaya. 

Like, exactly.

P.s. hi Ragnar!

• Like 5

Summing up thoughts from this thread on the dispossessed allegiance and grudge bound war throng batallion l, versus a Free City Order allegiance, to make sure I’m not missing something.   

Ancestral Pickaxe teleport seems to be main reason to take Dispossessed generally over an Order Free City. I love the teleport play with 30 quarrelers!

War Throng batallion for a one or low drop army seems like other reason to take Dispossessed (plus command point), but the battalion abilities seem frustratingly redundant with the allegiance abilities so add only marginal value (more re-roll 1s). Since the battle shock abilities are the same, seems no added value there.  Oh, and an artefact for the Unforged. 

Finally, am I understanding correctly that could take the war throng battalion in an Order Free City list?   Would give up the pickaxe teleport but could get broader army wide speed boosts with Tempest Eye, IIRC.

Thanks for any insights or corrections!

On August 10, 2018 at 1:25 AM, Oath Stoned said:

Everything you said here is exactly what ive built my army to be. Like, exactly.

My paint scheme is copying my Total War army, including ghosts and renown units. The ghosts are old world heroes that have awoken in shyish, they built a cogfort, and now theyre looking for valaya. 

I really want to see that ghostly cogfort, pretty please!

6 hours ago, Ragnar Alpaca said:

Yeah you’re correct. @DrDemento Although you also miss out on getting a Grudge as well, if you’re not taking Dispossessed army.

You don't really miss out on the Grudge because the war throng has a better version anyway (No requirements as to what you're fighting against).

So the main thing you miss out on is the both the pick axe as well as access to ironbreakers and hammerers as battleline.

38 minutes ago, someone2040 said:

You don't really miss out on the Grudge because the war throng has a better version anyway (No requirements as to what you're fighting against).

So the main thing you miss out on is the both the pick axe as well as access to ironbreakers and hammerers as battleline.

I guess that’s true, I forgot they made each other redundant. My bad.

The battalion is good if you want to run an order plus Firestorm city, most of which allow dispossessed after the faq. Then you can take items from Malign Sorcery. The Unforged looks a lot better with six attacks and look out sir!

Sword of Judgement for mortal wounds or Rune Blade for -3 rend. Now that is a monster hunter I can work with.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello fellow players of the short legged. I just got my hands on some dwarfs via eBay (the old ones from the fantasy starter box) and now have a reasonable amount of those lovely little friends.

My Force consists of 

40ish Warriors, 20 Quarrelers, 30 Thunderers, 30 Pickaxe Guys that I’d use as longbeards, a cannon. There are also enough hero models in there for runelords, an unforged and Kings. I also have 10 Liberators, 3 hurricane xbows and 10 arkanaut company with 3 skyhooks.

This brings me to something around 1700ish points with max 2 allied units (1 in 4). 

Do you think a list without Ironsdrakes is worth fielding? Considering my models, what would you field at 1500? How would you group the models and how to equip the hero? Pickaxe seems like an interesting choice. Thought about 30 longbeards with unforged tunneling round 2 to arrive in turn 3 while warriors with shooters pressure objectives. Thunderers with runelord and king buff look very promising when combined with the right grudge.

I’ve read through this thread but many lists seem to focus on at least 20 drakes, so I’m wondering if I have to invest more. The 5+ save on the warriors makes me think if they can pressure any objective when not in a group of 30 or 40...

2 hours ago, Bolgan said:

I've never used irondrakes, but on paper they don't look much better than 30 man units of quarrelers or thunderers. That said, now that irondrakes can move and double shoot they might be the best option.

Never mind what I said about move and shoot. I checked the warscroll and it looks like irondrakes haven't changed (not sure where I got that from). In that case, I'm not sure what makes them better than the other shooting options.

21 minutes ago, Bolgan said:

Never mind what I said about move and shoot. I checked the warscroll and it looks like irondrakes haven't changed (not sure where I got that from). In that case, I'm not sure what makes them better than the other shooting options.

An FAQ made them able to tunnel via pick and not count as moving when they arrive, so you can plop them in position and blast away from there.

So...I have been meaning to post here for a while. I have a dwarf sized lacking amongst my armies. A cannon, a custom Cogsmith, but I need MORE. Problem is, every dwarf faction looks super expensive, even for a small chunk in a Mixed Order army. (Excluding the older Dispossed models, but they just don't compare to the new Hammerers.

So, I ask this whole group of duardin gamers, if you had to focus on just a small (ha) duardin addition to an overall Mixed Order collection, what would you prioritize? For reference, my Order so far are Freeguild and Sacrosant Stormcast, with a Hurricanum and some artillery for spice. 

Keep up the stubborn and the glorious beards!

Here's what I'm going to aim for.  I don't particularly care if it's good or not (that's not my bag, baby), but it *is* a lot of metal ( the K-A, cannon, and two shooty units are the only plastic).  It just barely qualifies for 3 Allied units (3/12), so I don't have much latitude for switching it around.  I'll mess about with the mining pick thing for a bit of mobility probably.  I might consider dropping the cannon/cogsmith and putting in the SCE Comet endless spell and some extra bodies somewhere.

• Warden King
  • Runelord
  • Runelord
  • Unforged
  • Cogsmith - A
  • Knight-Incantor - A
  • 30x Hammerers
  • 10x Hammerers
  • 30x Ironbreakers
  • 10x Quarrelers
  • 10x Thunderers
  • Cannon - A
  • Like 1

On 8/11/2018 at 6:10 PM, Ragnar Alpaca said:

Yeah you’re correct. @DrDemento Although you also miss out on getting a Grudge as well, if you’re not taking Dispossessed army.

The Grudgebound War Throng grants a universal reroll 1s to hit for all units in the battalion, which is better than the Grudge ability in every way, as it only grants conditional reroll 1s to hit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thomas Lyons said:

The Grudgebound War Throng grants a universal reroll 1s to hit for all units in the battalion, which is better than the Grudge ability in every way, as it only grants conditional reroll 1s to hit. 

Yeah when I said that I forgot that was part of the battalions ability. Oops.  

Edited by Ragnar Alpaca

Agreed on the Throng’s superior universal re-roll to hit!  I guess it’s all in line thematically - conditional rerolls become universal with the battalion, and I guess the conditional gives a second reroll when applicable (useful when rolling buckets of dice for 30 quarrelers!

I think it was (is?) more of an issue of you’re deciding between Dispossessed allegiance and Order/Firestorm allegiance.  

On 8/21/2018 at 1:18 PM, Myzyrael said:

Pickaxe seems like an interesting choice. Thought about 30 longbeards with unforged tunneling round 2 to a

The pickaxe tunnel with shooters seems so good to me (and is great fun) that I have a hard time suggesting a melee unit....except maybe losing a round of shooting but if they were out of range anyway (common on turn 1) it may not be a loss.  Maybe I should consider a harder melee unit for the pickaxe too.

Irondrakes rules got rewritten;

607415692_Screenshot_20180822-201114_WHAoS.jpg.a2e7d8bed6d8a6dc3af613e84e09967c.jpg

Now it is an extra attack with 10 and 3" away from enemies and removed any move restrictions.

Besides double shot drake guns. The trollhammer torpedo is double shot. That means each unit has a dwarf cannon vs monsters.

This is much better than quarrellers and thunderers in all ways but two, total wounds and melee ability. The shields make them decent defensively, and the ranger axes make the quarrellers good as an average battleline.

I recommend trying 10. They are some of my favorite units in the army. The weakness is mortal wounds, but thats every elites issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 8/23/2018 at 2:05 AM, DrDemento said:

Agreed on the Throng’s superior universal re-roll to hit!  I guess it’s all in line thematically - conditional rerolls become universal with the battalion, and I guess the conditional gives a second reroll when applicable (useful when rolling buckets of dice for 30 quarrelers!

I think it was (is?) more of an issue of you’re deciding between Dispossessed allegiance and Order/Firestorm allegiance.  

Extremely happy to be proved wrong but both are re-rolls to hit. And you can’t re-roll a re-roll*. Even when it’s from a different ability. *see rules of one.

• Like 1

Hi fellow duardins!

Yesterday night I played a 2000 points game vs. a Nurgle magic heavy list.

I dropped the pickaxe for the Ulgu artefacts Spellmirror (if a friendly unit within 6 is affected by a spell roll a 5+ to ignore, if you roll a 1 the artefacts cannot be used for the rest of the battle) and it does stack very nicely with our built in 5+ magic save on units, plus it warded my runelords against  spells; very good artefact if you think to face heavy magic lists, let me tell you ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Had a game against Sylvaneth, Irondrakes were mvp for sure and the Runelords above all of course !

What I didn't expect was the damage output of 20 thunderers, although added due to lack of others at the time, they actually had a really good showing. If I'd find the points, I d probably use more Irondrakes but they really did great ?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Furuzzolo said:

Hi fellow duardins!

Yesterday night I played a 2000 points game vs. a Nurgle magic heavy list.

I dropped the pickaxe for the Ulgu artefacts Spellmirror (if a friendly unit within 6 is affected by a spell roll a 5+ to ignore, if you roll a 1 the artefacts cannot be used for the rest of the battle) and it does stack very nicely with our built in 5+ magic save on units, plus it warded my runelords against  spells; very good artefact if you think to face heavy magic lists, let me tell you ;)

Did you win the game?