AoS 2 - Dispossessed Discussion

Chris Tomlin

On 4/9/2019 at 1:36 PM, ColsBols said:

playing a casual game with my dispo force for the first time today, how ****** am I

Allegiance: Order (Tempest Eye)

Warden King, Ignax Scales
Runesmith
Unforged, General, Relic Blade, Legendary Fighter

Battleline:
Warriors (20)
Longbeards (10)
Warriors (10)
Reavers (5)
Reavers (5)

Other Units:
Ironbreakers (10)
Hammerers (20)
Irondrakes (20)
Thunderers (10)

Grudgebound warthrong (170)

Total 2050/2050

The grudgebound were victorious! 3-1 on objectives thanks to the reavers quick speed, who other wise did maybe 3 wounds between them the entire game. 4s and 4s is not good. Irondrakes are insanely good. I definitely need better speed allies though 

CD80D0B1-0406-46F2-8A74-F068119725E9.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 4

Hey i havent been able to post i began the project for this quarters escalation league

I had a dwarfs painted but they were all to the quality of back 5 or so years ago. So we’re redoing them! 

30 irondrakes

10 longbeards

80 warriors

1 archmage on dragon

1 knight incantor. Might have to buy a more dwarfy one

2 runesmiths

everblaze comet

gemanids 

might switch those out for a cannon or something.

i dont have pictures yet ill post progress when i get home. I am going tempests eye and will paint them to that.  My dwarfs undivided did alright last league winding up with a 50% winrate. Kinda curious how mostly dwarfs will do.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Azamar said:

I’ve done my part! 

Anyone else notice that dispossessed and ironweld arsenal are grouped together when selecting factions...?

I did and I mentioned specifically at the end “please update the Dispossessed” so if enough of us do this well it might speed it up or show them we want a separate tome aside from a free cities book. 

• Like 2

Had my second game out with my dawi tonight, with mixed results. 2k points, Dispossessed against Troggoths. Game was The Better Part of Valor, ended 18-14 after a few poor decisions on my part and some bad luck. Once again the Irondrakes were the star; everything else literally melted away the second any trolls got close. My opponent ran a Troll Hag and a Colossal Squig, lost 6 of my 20 hammerers immediately to her vomit before I managed to snipe her out with the irondrakes — but then the Troggoth King or whatever he is got in close combat and they too melted away. Hammerers ended up doing barely nothing, but I also lost a few to battleshock when I forgot that I didn't need to roll. I ****** up and didn't read the rules right, not realizing that a cogsmith's aura of effect on a gun is just ONE freaking inch, are you kidding me? The cannon did big damage, especially with the reroll; the organ gun, not so much. Still not sure if the artillery and cogsmith was worth it. My Thunderers performed pretty well too until they got backed into a corner and vomited to death. 

I just get so frustrated with how fast everything dies and how little it feels like they're able to sometimes; my warden king, even with rerolling saves and Scales of Ignax, did no damage and was just mortal-wounded to death by the colossal squig. By the end of the game, all I had left were 3 thunderers and the cannon to his Troggoth king and colossal squig with 1 wound left, but I could never challenge his unguarded objectives with the exception of the one the irondrakes and king pickaxed on to. Definitely need some kind of fast allies, thinking Reavers maybe?

I probably should have just ran the warriors and longbeards towards his objectives and left him stuck in the middle lol, their rerolling saves were negated by the -2 rend everywhere.

Here was my list:

Warden King

Runelord

Runelord

Cogsmith

Warriors 20x

Longbeards 20x

Hammerers 20x

Cannon

Organ Gun 

Irondrakes 20x

Thunderers 20x

(i know it's technically violating ally limits but my buddy agreed that it was microfaction ****** and I should be able to take artillery)

his list:

Troll Hag

Colossal Squig

Rockgut Troggoths 6x

Fellwater Troggoths 3x

Fellwater Troggots 3x

Shaman with mushroom hat?

Tiny Shaman guy

Cauldron endless spell

Squig Gobbba

Any advice as to what I should have done?

Edited by ColsBols

1 hour ago, ColsBols said:

Any advice as to what I should have done?

Mm, looks to me you lack melee.

You need to count Hammerers as a countercharge units, so you screen them with some cannon fodder then charge and squeeze every bit of value out of them!

I would cut the organ gun and 10 thunderers, use the other 10 as screen, cut 10 longbeards (10 can still screen and buff 8") and add ironbreakers. If you play well with Hammerers and Ironbreakers you have a lot of pressure on the board! (Breakers. Drakes. Hammerers have prime statlines!)

King

Runelord

Runelord 

20 warriors

10 longbeards

10 longbeards

20 hammerers

20 ironbreakers

10 thunderers

20 irondrakes

Cannon

With this you have some spare point and a good board control setup!

By the way hearthguard berserkers are nuts, right now.

10 HearthGuard  -240

1 Runesmiter -120

And you can deepstrike 20 wounds with 5+ save, 4+ feel no pain

21 attacks 3+ 3+, every 6 is 2 mortal wounds (looking at 6 mortal plus a 4/5 more against 4+ save).

The Runesmiter can then make them reroll wounds.

You can do this with vulkite berserkers but I think we need the mortal wounds output and the deepstrike make them better then evocators, for us.

• Like 3

@ColsBols sounds like you did the best you could with what you've got, don't forget you're fighting a 2nd edition battletome there as well which has a ton of tricks and MWs up it's sleeve (I've got the gloomspite gitz tome and it's got so much good stuff). The troll hag and colossal squig are notoriously powerful as well.

Mortal wounds and -2 rend are hard to negate for us as a faction so really only Ironbreakers or Longbeards would have a chance of surviving that. I would heartily recommend Ironbreakers or Longbeards as they are as solid as you are going to get in dealing with big damage dealers. I often use the Runelord ancestral shield on my them. Even in a worse case scenario of -2 rend at least they get a 6+ save rerollable and then a 6+ ancestral shield save after, thats 3 chances to save 6+ compared to none on the warriors at least.

Maybe drop the organ gun and go for a double cannon? Maybe drop the hammerers too and invest more longbeards/ironbreakers to act as a screen for your irondrakes / thunderers / cannons to shoot down the big monsters?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dammaz said:

Mines are on 32 too. Some of them can't fit on 25mm base (Runelord especially).

I did my kitbash on 32mm. It certainly gives us more room; Warden King's Oathstone takes up the entirety of a 25mm base so it leaves virtually no room for base decorations