Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chris Tomlin

AoS 2 - Dispossessed Discussion

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

@Furuzzolo

Have you seen the Lens of Refraction on the Hysh artefact list? Very very strong, and fits nicely with the anti-magic angle you're going for. :) 

That's a very strong artefact, even to protect our Runelords from magical snipe!

 

8 hours ago, sorokyl said:

Which unit type is the most auto-include for you, and which do you think does best in a mixed army with SCE? 

Hammerers! I never leave home without hammerers. In a mixed order, imho, the only units that can goes the extra inches are Longbeards as a resilient battleline and Runelord for the 30" +2 dispel. (In a competitive scenario, in a dream mixed order list for fun i would bring all Dispossessed, then go back to dispo allegiance cause i can battleline hammerers)

 

All in all Dispossessed are a very synergic army, it's hard to judge unit by unit without considering all the buff layer the army offer.

Warriors are very good in number, pretty bad save, tho. Good offensive.

Longbeards are a balanced unit, good stats offensive and defensive; the buff our chaps and are pretty cheap.

Ironbreakers are a wall. Magic save, epicly good def. They dish out 2 attacks per chap with a 3+ 4+, with a runelord -1 rend they become a strong attackers.

Hammerers. Good lord, those guys... My favorite unit by far.

Irondrakes are very costly but have an excellent statline by warscroll, if you buff them with runelord-warden king 20 of them can pick out every unit in the game in one go.

Quarrelers/thunderera are good, we're talking irondrakes good but i don't really like the models...if you are into them, deploy a 40 bloab and melt things.

Unforged is pretty bad, you can look at the cool combo i found with the new artefacts, for him. Or use a relic blade, as @Double Misfire suggested. Can be good!

 

Unforged combo here :

 

 

Edited by Furuzzolo
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/30/2018 at 9:38 AM, Furuzzolo said:

Hammerers! I never leave home without hammerers. In a mixed order, imho, the only units that can goes the extra inches are Longbeards as a resilient battleline and Runelord for the 30" +2 dispel. (In a competitive scenario, in a dream mixed order list for fun i would bring all Dispossessed, then go back to dispo allegiance cause i can battleline hammerers)

[...]

Hammerers. Good lord, those guys... My favorite unit by far.

Can you explain a bit more why you are so enthuastic with Hammerers ? What do you think makes them better than Ironbreakers ? I plan to make a full battleline of Ironbreakers, but before I buy the 5 boxes I'd like to know if I shouldn't mix some Hammerers in there.
From what I see Hammerers are less tanky Ironbreakers with a slightly better attack, but attacking isn't what is asked from our melee troops (leave the killing to Irondrakes or artillery).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Alaric83 said:

Can you explain a bit more why you are so enthuastic with Hammerers ? What do you think makes them better than Ironbreakers ? I plan to make a full battleline of Ironbreakers, but before I buy the 5 boxes I'd like to know if I shouldn't mix some Hammerers in there.
From what I see Hammerers are less tanky Ironbreakers with a slightly better attack, but attacking isn't what is asked from our melee troops (leave the killing to Irondrakes or artillery).

I think that the main weaknesses of an horde unit could be base size and battleshock. Hammerers have a 25mm base, they do attack in 2 ranks, having 1" range and they skip battleshock; that make them a great horde unit.

They have a solid base statline, 3+ 3+ -1 1 is great and the 4+ elite armor save is solid; buffed they're killing machinea: I remember a 30chaps unit charging against a mawcrusher with mystic shield andignoring 1 point of rend, they were -runelors and king- buffed but dealt something like 17 wound to the beast. (2+ ignoring 1 point of rend with 14 wound)

They're the unit that countercharge when the opponent clean our screen.

Or maybe I just love the models...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What do you guys think about 2 handed weapons + shields?   Warriors &  Longbeards warscrolls seem intentionally written to allow it, but I'm not sure why.  Does it make anyone else feel weird?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How does the longbeards command ability grumble work now? Free use of a command ability for a nearby wardenking?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SirPug said:

How does the longbeards command ability grumble work now? Free use of a command ability for a nearby wardenking?

It was always use a command ability as if they were the general, which is what they have now clarified it as, it increases the range of generic command abilities for non-general hero's as if they were the general (12" instead of 6").

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, sorokyl said:

What do you guys think about 2 handed weapons + shields?   Warriors &  Longbeards warscrolls seem intentionally written to allow it, but I'm not sure why.  Does it make anyone else feel weird?

Yes, it does feel weird. They just changed the Longbearda warscroll, now we're sure that the 2h+shield shenanigan is intentional.

 

9 hours ago, SirPug said:

How does the longbeards command ability grumble work now? Free use of a command ability for a nearby wardenking?

They changed the ability completely, now Heroes within 8" from the longbeards are treated as our general, regardin command abilities (so they can use them with a 12" range).

Ok, @stato replied in a more understandable way 😂

Edited by Furuzzolo
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I use to play dwarfs aka dispossessed back in the day and i feel like they do have a competitive edge to them maybe only time will tell. I have been toying with a 2k list which i feel may be fairly competitive let me know what you think.

heroes:

warden king

rune lord

rune lord

battleline:

warriors x10

warriors x10

warriors x10

other:

iron drakes x20

iron drakes x20

quarrlers x30 (or maybe the gunners)

allies:

30 vulkite berzerkers

the army has great shooting a huge wall of berzerkerz warriors to stop teleporting pain in the bum or hold objectives in the back lines.

probably going to take the pike axe for teleporting fun. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bimli said:

. I have been toying with a 2k list which i feel may be fairly competitive let me know what you think.

The "screen-backline shooters" idea is good. You'll find that opponent's units hita really hard, in AoS, and warriors die fairly quickly. Berserkers could be good!

I can see things charging you melt pretty well in your shooting round but you are investing a good chunk of your army into ranged units and i feel that your screen is not resilient enought. Plus your mobility is very limited and your objective game weak...

I dont't know, you should test it! Maybe you can shoot stuff out of the objective and slowly advance toward them, now that irondrakes can move...

Let us know how it perform for you!

Tomorrow night i've a game booked vs Ironjawz, i'll post my results 😃

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I just played my first game of AOS 2.0 

I took 2 warden kings, 1 rune lord, Incantor, Runefather on magmadroth, 30 Hammerers, 30 Ironbreakers, 10 longbeards, 20 Irondrakes I took Pickax on non general king.

I think he took KOS, KOS on steed, 2 Executioners, 2 Spirit Torment, 12 Stalkers (maybe), 6 Ghastly things, 40 chain rasps, 10 Hexwraiths, 6 Spirit Hosts, 3 Banshees.

We played Total Conquest.

King with pick,Ironbreakers and drakes in the center, Hammerers, Longbeards, Runelord, incantor and General on left objective.  Right objective I left open.

I gave him first turn.  I held back and shot, I gave him first on turn 2 and received his charge.  He rolled a twelve on the charge for the group of 6 with the bell and made it into the drakes.  I did not expect that.

We slug it out for 2 more turns.  I pick ax the drakes to grab a back line objective burn it and shoot off the rasps.  

He didn't hold anything back to capture objectives.  I won on points.  

Comments:  30 Ironbreakers held half of his army for whole game, they didn't do as much damage but they were not buffed.  They had 8 left at top of turn 4 when we called it.  30 Hammerers buffed are unfair.  They killed 6 hosts, 12, stalkers, 2 Executioners and 3 banshees with plenty to spare.  I lost 6 hammerers.  Irondrakes put Overlords to shame, 40 attacks with buffs are nasty.  

The incantor used the void scroll to stop some replenishment.  And her spell finished off two heros on 1 wound that I could not kill.  The magmadroth never moved but eventually killed the hex wraiths by bleeding on them.

I need more mobility in the list.  If he had held back one hero and the banshees to score it would have been much tighter on points and there would nothing I could do about.  I am thinking replace droth with gunhauler and a gyro.  Not sure what else to do.

Thanks for listening,

Bru

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do allies work in second edition? It was my understanding that you are restricted to 400 points as well as having to bring 4 units for each ally you bring in. Anyways, great battle report!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bruinin said:

Thanks for listening,

Great report! First of all why only one Runelors? Was spot on against nighthaunt, the rend is not relevant, but strange to not field at least 2.

The Hammerers are champs, told ya. 🤣

The problem with mobility units is that they should then hold the objective. Gunhauler, endrinriggers, skywardena, gyrocopter do have a tons of mobility but cannot hold one turn, alone. That's why i'm fielding the steam tank. 

I was thinking fulminators or some other Stormcast dracoth cavalry but i want to test the tank, first. 

I see that you like elite units, your list is very similar to mine 😉keep it up and post every report, that's what keep Dispossessed alive!

Edited by Furuzzolo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, smucreo said:

How do allies work in second edition? It was my understanding that you are restricted to 400 points as well as having to bring 4 units for each ally you bring in. Anyways, great battle report!

That was just for open and narrative, i think. To play without points! 

Seems unchanged, to me. The pitched battle rules only set the 400 limit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Furuzzolo said:

That was just for open and narrative, i think. To play without points! 

Seems unchanged, to me. The pitched battle rules only set the 400 limit.

I think they both apply for Matched play? So you can't have like 4 normal units then take 4 wizards?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Furuzzolo said:

Great report! First of all why only one Runelors? Was spot on against nighthaunt, the rend is not relevant, but strange to not field at least 2.

The Hammerers are champs, told ya. 🤣

The problem with mobility units is that they should then hold the objective. Gunhauler, endrinriggers, skywardena, gyrocopter do have a tons of mobility but cannot hold one turn, alone. That's why i'm fielding the steam tank. 

I was thinking fulminators or some other Stormcast dracoth cavalry but i want to test the tank, first. 

I see that you like elite units, your list is very similar to mine 😉keep it up and post every report, that's what keep Dispossessed alive!

Thanks Zolo,  I figured that one runelord and the incantor were enough and it was.  He only had one wizard.  Not sure how that will measure up in the future.  Steam tank sounds good.  I don't have one so probably wont add it.   I could probably proxy a frigate.

I have a KO army, a SCE army, the Start box for Fyreslayers and the remains of the 8th edition dwarves.  So I have some options.

One thought I had was to go mixed order focusing on Duardin:  That would allow me to add a loaded ironclad as my maneuver element.  However I find the KO ships to not be very mobile in practice.  It also allows for a rune smiter with a line of bezerkers but I would have to add 20 more bezerkers  and I am unwilling to add anything further until things are clarified and settle down abit.  I really like the fulminators, but I feel they need 4 to be effective.  Mixed order does allow me to take 4 fulminators and 2 tempestors  for running around.  But now I might as well play SCE.  Another thought is the Celestant Prime.  Fits under ally points, reasonably tough and can usually clear any objective.  I would have to lose the incantor and it does not fit thematically, why would THE prime help a bunch of dwarves alone, but I can get over that.

As a side note if a maneuver unit does not have fly I rarely feel I can get through their lines unless I can destroy them.  

I do like the elite units.  I want to add warriors but ran out of bases to rebase them and I have fewer hammerers and drakes to base to make 2000 pts.  More bases on the way Monday.   Not sure what to cut, cannot cut drakes as they need at least 10 now, either breakers or hammers, interesting choices.

I was super impressed with the army.  It was just a casual game and his list was not optimized and he was waiting for the battletome to drop next week so he really didn't use his allegiance abilities.  Not sure how much it would have mattered as he had three models left after the end of turn three and I still tied him up with my spartans in the middle.  I think I will name my Ironbeard Leonidas  :)  or the king I guess. 

My thoughts on the gunhauler is it is reasonable cheap, always move 12" 10 wounds and can fly.  might hold an object for a bit or at least contest.  The gyro is just filler but it might be useful as chaff to screen the hauler.

It is my intention to post my battle reports each time.  I only play 2-3 times per month.  I also play many, many different armies.

Bru

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok if I remove incantor and droth, add prime.  I get to add a unit of aetherwings (nice fast chaff) .   This solves the maneuver element, chaff.   Might need to swap a king for a runelord if magic becomes a problem.

In the last battle I felt I could use more buffing on the breakers but they were too far.

Fluff be …. I like it.  This is my next force.

Thanks a lot Zolo.

Bru

Edited by Bruinin
Added Runelord, math error

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bruinin said:

Another thought is the Celestant Prime.

I have one to ally but i always felt it overpriced. Maybe Brokk Grunggson is a better option, now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Furuzzolo said:

That was just for open and narrative, i think. To play without points! 

Seems unchanged, to me. The pitched battle rules only set the 400 limit.

Sadly not anymore, the GHB states the points restriction limits, followed by the sentence 'This is in addition to the restrictions that normally apply to taking allied units'.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While not at top tier, I honestly thing our shorties are more fun to play now and definitely lots stronger ! 

I like all the changes - they buff us up *except the lost command from Longbeards but oh well* great times of fun ahead !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone! 

I'm coming to you with an interest. See, i have always loved the idé of a Dwarf army but never really taken the last step. I know barely anything about the dispossesed so bare with me. 

- Are they stronger then ever? Do they stand a good chance on the battlefield in this new edition? 

- are they a "one trick pony" army or can you play them in different ways..If so, how? 

- who are the winners and losers in terms of units? 

- If you had to start from scratch, how would you build a solid 1000p army? Something strong, and good to move on towards 2000p eventuelly.

- can you play with artillery (allies) effectively? I'd love me some thematic cannon-like units. Looks so cool! 

I am a complete noob when it comes to this army...If there is anything you think a beginner should know...please share! 

 

Thank you so much! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kimbo said:

I am a complete noob when it comes to this army...If there is anything you think a beginner should know...please share! 

I'm going to let others reply, this tread is full of my list and opinions. Too full 😂

By the way tonight i had my second 2.0 game, against Ironjawz.

My list was:

Unforged -general with anraheirs's claw and resilient

Warden king

Runelord

Runelors

10 ironbreakers

10 ironbreakers

30 hammerers

20 longbeards

20 irondrakes

Steam tank

1940 points, +1 command point

We're playing "there's no shame in retreat" from the gh18 (I'm translating this from Italian) .He was fielding a megaboss on mawcrusha and one on foot, 10 ardboyz, 3 units of five Brutes, 2 units of 3 goregruntas, 2 grot shamans (the malign portent one), a prismatic palisade and the chrono'something' cogs.

He took the 1 turn but deployed his wizards within 30" of the two runelords, i dispelled both the cogs and mystic shield. He then failed to charge me turn 1 and took a massive hammerers and steam tank countercharge. We swamped in the middle till turn 4, i had to burn 2 of my objective for 8 points and ran to his far right one, abandoned (that was his mistake, not to burn it). Turn 5 I took priority and won the game 18 to 16.

That was quite a rushed report, sorry, that's what i ended up with:

-Unforged is useless, the Grimwrath is better in every way.

-Hammerers are supergood in a 30 units, very good points

-Not sure about two 10 man units of Ironbreakers

-Till now the Steam Tank is performing very well but i need to test it further.

-Irondrakes are another units with the new unit's rules, MVP. 

-We need the pickaxe. Just head and shoulders above every other options.

Edited by Furuzzolo
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kimbo said:

Hi everyone! 

I'm coming to you with an interest. See, i have always loved the idé of a Dwarf army but never really taken the last step. I know barely anything about the dispossesed so bare with me. 

- Are they stronger then ever? Do they stand a good chance on the battlefield in this new edition? 

- are they a "one trick pony" army or can you play them in different ways..If so, how? 

- who are the winners and losers in terms of units? 

- If you had to start from scratch, how would you build a solid 1000p army? Something strong, and good to move on towards 2000p eventuelly.

- can you play with artillery (allies) effectively? I'd love me some thematic cannon-like units. Looks so cool! 

I am a complete noob when it comes to this army...If there is anything you think a beginner should know...please share! 

 

Thank you so much! 

1 Dispossessed are much better in the new addition.

2 I don’t really have enough experience in different play styles, I like gun lines.

3 Irondrakes are really good now, really the only unit I think is kinda bad is the Unforged.

4 Not sure atm haven’t had time to experiment with the recent points decreases and new allies mechanic. 

5 Take a cog smith and two organ guns, or a cog smith, cannon, and organ gun, can really put out some damage either way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks a bunch for sharing your experiences @Furuzzolo ! Really appreciating it !

I thought the same about the 2 x 10 squads before even seeing you writing it yourself ! What are your thoughts now ? Maybe swap them for a blob of warriors ? Although having units of melee replacing those 2 squads will be better but the points arent enough I guess ?

Unfortunately I also believe the same for the Unforged. Shame that such an awesome model cannot really be fielded.

Longbeards : Are you satisfied with how they did or are you thinking of trying big blob of ironbreakers / something else isntead ? I 've thought of using them somewhere midfield so both my hammerers and irondrakes can benefit from the reroll to wound but 8" ain't enough so that they can also be placed in a really useful place. Whaddya think ?

Edited by Seraphage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Seraphage said:

Longbeards

I love Longbeards stats, very balanced and well costed. The problem with them is that i need the 1 reroll on Hammerers but the ability say models within 8" so I need to play my two *damage* units very close, that leave me with less offensive options with our low mobility. Beside that they never fail me. (The 1 reroll is only in the combat phase, not in the shoting)

I don't know what to do about the two units of Ironbreakers. What i want are 30 more hammerers, what i need are bodies and units to camp objective... Maybe 20 ironbreakers, one less hero, 20 warriors, maybe I need to park the SteamTank and bring a wizard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Furuzzolo said:

I love Longbeards stats, very balanced and well costed. The problem with them is that i need the 1 reroll on Hammerers but the ability say models within 8" so I need to play my two *damage* units very close, that leave me with less offensive options with our low mobility. Beside that they never fail me. (The 1 reroll is only in the combat phase, not in the shoting)

I don't know what to do about the two units of Ironbreakers. What i want are 30 more hammerers, what i need are bodies and units to camp objective... Maybe 20 ironbreakers, one less hero, 20 warriors, maybe I need to park the SteamTank and bring a wizard.

Yeah makes sense ! Maybe try to take the Steam Tank off - although I have to admit that I'm LOVING the model - make the 2x10 -> 1x20 Ironbreakers and go for a 30man unit of warriors ?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×