AoS 2 - Dispossessed Discussion

Chris Tomlin

15 minutes ago, Dwarf Giant said:

Quick question, I'm just looking to convert my old Dwarfs for AoS but I can't find a points cost for Slayers in the General's Handbook. Have they effectively been written out or am I missing somewhere that the points are listed?

Yap, the whole "slayer" block has become the Fyreslayers faction. You can ally them to Dispossessed and use the old models as Vulkite Berzerkers, i guess ;)

1 hour ago, Dwarf Giant said:

Also, how do you work out the units attacks? Do they get 4 attacks each (2 for Handaxes, 2 for War picks) unless they have Slingshields?

You get exactly the amount of attacks stated on the top of the warscroll. In the short text at the beginning it states your equipment options. You get extra rules for two axes instead of Axe and shield. I think vulkite can reroll 1s to hit with two weapons.😁 I hope that helped you

3 hours ago, Dwarf Giant said:

Quick question, I'm just looking to convert my old Dwarfs for AoS but I can't find a points cost for Slayers in the General's Handbook. Have they effectively been written out or am I missing somewhere that the points are listed?

The old slayers do have warscroll in age of sigmar and pitched battle point cost for matched play, so you can run them as they are. The downside is you can only run them in order allegiance in matched play. 

But if you play casually with friends and they are reasonable people you can ask to take them as allies in a dispossessed force :)

Edited by Zadolix
  • Thanks 1

On 2/21/2019 at 7:30 PM, GomJabbar said:

Is it viable to only field armored dwarves and leave behind the Warriors, Quarrelers, Thunderers?

Ain't "armored dwarves" a pleonasm? :)

Joke aside, I'm looking at Hammerers' profile, and I wonder what is best for defense between their 4+ save and warriors' 5+ with re-roll (putting aside that warriors have more wounds for same amount of points spent)?

Also, with Longbeards, ain't that 4+ save worth the 20 points increase from warriors when tanking matters? Or did they really shine only for their buffs?

• Haha 1

On 2/21/2019 at 1:45 PM, Furuzzolo said:

Looks like you have all you need 😎

Warden king and 2 runelords are your standard command squad, you have that covered. I like to run 30 hammerers as a big block, you can field two 20 man units but they tend to drop numbers pretty quickly.

You can easily field a very Elite army, avoiding the older kits (warriors are very good, tho). You need around 20 Irondrakes to make good use of theyr commander attack (and their base stats are very strong), 10 longbeards to buff near units. That's your core Elite army.

From there you can pick what you love, Ironbreakers are very strong, Longbeards too. Chose allies to cover your weakness (mobility, mortal wounds, long range) and surprise your opponent with insane damages ;)

What allies do you use mostly to cover these? Cogs can give us problems with the runic icons. Whats a tournament/all comers list look like for you?

2 hours ago, Bozly said:

What allies do you use mostly to cover these? Cogs can give us problems with the runic icons. Whats a tournament/all comers list look like for you?

That, to me, is a tournament list. But every Dispossessed player tend to have his personal idea about that and a lot revolve around the player playstyle.
First of all you need to play the objective game, few things in this game are going to remove in one turn 20 brakers+ Cannon from your objective. The cannon can help contest a middle of far objective and it force the opponent to move toward us.
The warden king command ability is beautifull to clear units. Runelord I think all of us know.

30 Hammerers, 30 Warriors and 20 Irondrakes are my pickaxe target for 3 reasons:
1- I need to contest objective and be present and resilent about it (Hammerers)
2- I need to snipe Heroes, a big monster, Nagash, LoN general etc (Irondrakes)
3- I need to put a brick of stone on an objective and hold it for 3 turn (Warriors)

That said we autolose a lot of battleplans (3 place of arcane power, the moving objective one is hard and the list goes on and on) but very few things we can do about it.

Allegiance: Dispossessed

Leaders
Warden King (120)
- General
- Trait: Grudgebearer
Runelord (100)
- Artefact: Ancestral Pickaxe
Runelord (100)
Runelord (100)

Battleline
30 x Hammerers (420)
20 x Ironbreakers (280)
30 x Warriors (240)
- Axes or Hammers
10 x Longbeards (100)
- Axes or Hammers

Units
20 x Irondrakes (360)

War Machines
Cannon (160)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 134

Always remember that whatever i say come frome MY experience and the army I play against. I always invite you to build your list and test it cause it's the only way to find a good one for YOU. We've a VERY little representation at tournaments and that make very hard to discuss competitive listbuilding.

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 1

On 2/25/2019 at 5:57 AM, Furuzzolo said:
That, to me, is a tournament list. But every Dispossessed player tend to have his personal idea about that and a lot revolve around the player playstyle.
First of all you need to play the objective game, few things in this game are going to remove in one turn 20 brakers+ Cannon from your objective. The cannon can help contest a middle of far objective and it force the opponent to move toward us.
The warden king command ability is beautifull to clear units. Runelord I think all of us know.

30 Hammerers, 30 Warriors and 20 Irondrakes are my pickaxe target for 3 reasons:
1- I need to contest objective and be present and resilent about it (Hammerers)
2- I need to snipe Heroes, a big monster, Nagash, LoN general etc (Irondrakes)
3- I need to put a brick of stone on an objective and hold it for 3 turn (Warriors)

That said we autolose a lot of battleplans (3 place of arcane power, the moving objective one is hard and the list goes on and on) but very few things we can do about it.

Leaders
Warden King (120)
- General
- Trait: Grudgebearer
Runelord (100)
- Artefact: Ancestral Pickaxe
Runelord (100)
Runelord (100)

Battleline
30 x Hammerers (420)
20 x Ironbreakers (280)
30 x Warriors (240)
- Axes or Hammers
10 x Longbeards (100)
- Axes or Hammers

Units
20 x Irondrakes (360)

War Machines
Cannon (160)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 134

Always remember that whatever i say come frome MY experience and the army I play against. I always invite you to build your list and test it cause it's the only way to find a good one for YOU. We've a VERY little representation at tournaments and that make very hard to discuss competitive listbuilding.

Fun fact, I just finished my 2k list for assembly and this is the EXACT list I'll be running. I was thinking, as an option, of swapping one Runelord with a Cogsmith for the cannon. Thoughts?

• Haha 1

On 2/27/2019 at 2:27 AM, Bladedwind said:

Fun fact, I just finished my 2k list for assembly and this is the EXACT list I'll be running. I was thinking, as an option, of swapping one Runelord with a Cogsmith for the cannon. Thoughts?

I would the third runelord might be a bit much? Or drop the cannon but then you have no long range treat to get your opponent to come to you. It's a toughie. 

I know it's horrible, but to be sure you should play a lot of test games (and report back here ;) )

• Haha 1

Our little circle of 5 players are starting to build our first forces now. I've got a big duardin army that I've rebased for AoS and starting out with this as my first 500pts. My friends are playing Deathrattle (death), Ironjaws (destruction), Slaanesh (Chaos) and Skaven (Chaos). So one of each Grand Alliance with me being the Order player!

I've painted up 10 warriors and a Runelord so far, working on the Thunderers then some Longbeards and more Warriors to follow. One thing I'm not sure about is whether to go Runelord or Warden King in 500pts? Both seem quite powerful and bring different things, I feel like giving thunderers rend in low points games could be particularly nasty, but the having the oathstone and the Warden King giving out +1 to wound against a unit also seems equally nasty. Making a Warden King a combat beast with the Chamon Rune blade and legendary fighter trait looks fun too.

I'm also trying to keep it thematic and use Chamon artefacts and traits as my Duardin clan hail from Chamon known as the Ice Wardens. They are a unique type of Duardin called Ice Duardin who live in some of the coldest mountains between the free cities in Chamon. Their trade and craft is to mine the coldest metal possible from the deep icy metallic mineries in the mountains of Chamon, then craft weapons and armour as hard as the mountains themselves through an mystical process called Frostforging. Therimm Coldsteel the Ancient is the clan's oldest and most knowledgeable Runelord and guards the clan's sacred rituals in Runesmithing and Frostforging. It is said that during the Frostforging process Therimm deals with temperatures so cold that it would be fatal even for Ice Duardin.

- Grudge: Cowardly Hordes
Mortal Realm: Chamon
Runelord (100)
- General
- Trait: Master of Defense
- Artefact: Argent Armour 
10 x Warriors (80)
- Axes or Hammers & Shields
10 x Warriors (80)
- Axes or Hammers & Shields
10 x Longbeards (100)
- Great Axes & Shields
10 x Thunderers (120)

Total: 480 / 500
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 45

DSC_1490.jpg

DSC_1493.jpg

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 3

Those look awesome. Reminds me of the Skaal village from Skyrim for some reason, cool stuff. As for the Runelord vs Warden King debate, I would vote for the runelord. I feel he adds more at such a low point cost game. Dealing with -2 rend from thunderers at 500 points is nasty, or dealing with a block of warriors with a 5+ 5+ and 6+ FnP is also quite difficult. I think buffing troops is more important at this level then having a murder hero. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, I managed to beat the new Skaven book with Dispossessed first try. It was a hard battle with many rage inducing moments, but I managed to pull through. The new rules for Warpfire Throwers are brutal. We were playing Total Commitment so the deployment zones were closer and he got a blaze off on my Warriors. Managed to kill the entire 20 duardin squad in one blast turn one. To add further insult, he targeted my Warden King and killed him turn 1 with a Warplightning cannon. I was basically nearly crippled as it was a 1000 point game and I nearly conceded right there.  Took some deep breaths, focused entirely on maximizing objective holding, and held out with pure Dispossessed determination and grit. Managed to salvage a victory much to my surprise. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

4 hours ago, Ironbreaker said:

Managed to salvage a victory much to my surprise. 

So you played your turn1 with 300 less point and how in Karak Eight Peaks did you survived the 2# shooting round? Can we know your list? I imagine 40 irondrakes and 1 runelord with pickaxe 😂

Ok, I will start off with our lists. I am not sure what the Skaven general took for items, but it does not exactly matter given how the game went.

Allegiance: Skaventide
Verminlord Warpseer (260)
- General
- Trait: Master of Magic 
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Spear
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Spear
1 x Warpfire Thrower (70)
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)

Total: 950 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 103

Here was my list.

Warden King (120)
- General
- Trait: Grudgebearer 
- Artefact: Teardrop of Grugni 
Runelord (100)
Gunmaster (80)
20 x Warriors (160)
- Double-handed Duardin Axes & Shields
10 x Ironbreakers (140)
10 x Longbeards (100)
- Great Axes & Shields
10 x Irondrakes (180)
Organ Gun (120)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 69

The image is of how the game roughly began. We played the Total Commitment battleplan.

So first round started with me actually having the first turn. I really wanted to get my Warriors and Warden King on that objective with the clan rats. My problem was the flamethrower in between. I devised a strategy with two fail safes. Plan A was to run the Warden King as close as I could to the flame thrower and throw the teardrop at it and hope to kill it. I tried that and never got into range. Plan B kicked in. Charge the Warriors into the Flamethrower to kill it and to get extra distance. I rolled the charge and needed to get an 8. I rolled a 7. Used a command ability to re-roll the charge and got 7 again. Warriors stayed put and I awaited the inevitable. I forgot to mention that on the other side of the board, Irondrakes lowered his Verminlord to 4 wounds. and his clanrats away from the objective started to flank the Ironbreakers and Drakes. Organ Gun failed to fire. In his turn, he used the flamethrower to kill the entire unit of warriors and then the lightning cannon blasted my general for 6 mortal wounds. This was when I really wanted to just quit because I saw no more hope. Still in a bit of shock and frustration, I watched as his Verminlord used his orb to kill 6 Irondrakes instantly crippling them and removing the double tap. The score was 2-2.

My head started to get a little dizzy from the emotions I was feeling at the time. I know it's just a game, but to see devastation turn 1 sent my head spinning. I abandoned reason for a bit and went full assault Ironbreakers and charged his Verminlord the next turn while the 4 Irondrakes and Runelord stayed at the objective.  They attacked and killed his General as revenge for their king. The Organ gun failed to fire again and the Longbeards moved back a bit while still holding the objective to keep out of range of the cannon. In the second Skaven turn, the flanking clan rats began their turn into the location of my objective. There is a wooden plank fence running along the section they are flanking so it slows down and advance they attempt. His war machines moved up but there out of range. The cannon had to move around terrain. The score was 4-4.

Third turn saw me charge the back clan rats with my Ironbreakers in an attempt to claim that objective. They killed all of them and caused the objective to turn in my favor. Irondrakes fired at the flanking rats and killed a few. Organ gun managed to fire and too out a great deal of them. I forgot to mention but Runeelord has been forgefiring Drakes the whole game. Longbeards stepped back a half inch. In the Skaven turn. the side rats continued to flank and charged the Irondrakes and killed all but one. They now contested my original right objective. His warmachines attempted to move up and fire at the longbeards but were still out of range. The score was now 6-10. I was winning.

My turn yet again (Kept winning roll offs) and I kept the Ironbreakers on the enemy objective. Irondrake killed a rat with a punch and was promptly poked to death, Runelord had charged the clan rats. Organ gun moved and was able to just barely hit the clan rats and took out a couple. Longbeards stayed still. Clanrats now contested my objective with the runelord and were safe from the organ gun. His war machines moved up once more to shoot the longbeards and the cannon managed to fire and killed the entire squad. I was now down to a single controlled objective with the Ironbreakers. Skaven attacked the Runelord and did no damage. Runelord hit back and killed a few. Battleshock failed and the skaven all fled. I held the objective once more. The score was 7-14. Seeing as there was no way to win, the Skaven player conceded the game to me and I won. Some of the details of the game maybe wrong as I am typing this from memory. Games like this are lessons in why you should always play the objective. It's still hard to believe I made a comeback after that.

set up.png

• Like 5

@Ironbreaker that's some quality report! :)

How do you value your Organ gun+ gunmaster? I like to bring a Cannon instead (last game in 4 turn the cannon did exactly 24 damage to a 30 man block of Graveguard, got lucky with damage rolls but still the reroll against horde is massive)

Give us your thinking process around the teardrop of grugni pick, please. I'm so used to the pickaxe that I'm kinda blind around other artifacts options!

21 hours ago, Furuzzolo said:

@Ironbreaker that's some quality report! :)

How do you value your Organ gun+ gunmaster? I like to bring a Cannon instead (last game in 4 turn the cannon did exactly 24 damage to a 30 man block of Graveguard, got lucky with damage rolls but still the reroll against horde is massive)

Give us your thinking process around the teardrop of grugni pick, please. I'm so used to the pickaxe that I'm kinda blind around other artifacts options!

I like my Organ Gun and Gunmaster. I initially took it because I liked the look of it. It's got a potentially higher volume of fire than the cannon so that's a plus. I'm usually knocking out good numbers of models with each attack. It's a little wishy washy even with the Gunmaster. Some games I never have to reroll while others I still fail mostly even with the reroll. I also like that it has psychological warfare potential with the people I play at least. A few times I have been able to use their fear of getting into range of it to control the battlefield. I usually deploy it further back while keeping only part of the enemy army in range and constantly maneuver it to maintain this distance. Artillery is stupidly vulnerable to damage to the crew like mortal wounds and I would like to keep it functioning.  Thankfully I don't have anyone at the store playing teleport heavy armies. 

I've never had much luck around taking a pickaxe. Units I wanted to use might be killed off or locked into combat, hero might get into combat, ect. There is also the delay that can make the pop-up location sometimes predictable. (I did however use it once to escape the battlefield with fragile units until a major threat was taken care of and brought them back in the exact same location they left.) My games usually follow the pattern of an enemy rush into my units, I beat them back while taking loses, and push up to capture objectives once they are defeated. Lately I have instead opted for taking a the pile driver gauntlets on the Warden King. Screening line of Warriors or other Duardin charge in for the attack and the Warden King moves in behind them. Start of combat the King hits the ground to make the Duardin harder to hit. Once the enemy is thinned out, Warden King charges in for the clean up if it is safe, if it isn't he will strike the ground again. I use this often against Khorne since he usually can't be shot from behind the line. I took tear drop the recent game just to try it out while keeping in mind the flamethrowers that often get me in the game. It could be used to mortal wound the flamethrower or maybe slow the Verminlord so more Drakes can target it. Potentially it could have even killed it if the Verminlord was whittled down from the Organ Gun and Drakes. I think if facing situations like these, tear drop is somewhat viable.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

In response to a previous question I have no idea who my partner will be. That said I have thrown together a quick list.

Warden King 120
Runelord 100 (Pickaxe)
100 Point Hero of Choice

20 Ironbreakers 280
30 Hammerers 420
20 Irondrakes 360
10 Longbeards 100

Total 1480

Plan is to just go elite, go straightforward, and use pickaxe to cap objectives. The role or use of pickaxe may change. The unnamed hero will PROBABLY be a Runelord, but I have an Unforged on the way and I'm toying with the idea since we do have a Chaos player as well as someone that runs Beastclaw Raiders

Edited by Bladedwind
Spelling
  • Like 1