AoS 2 - Dispossessed Discussion

Chris Tomlin

I like the idea of endriggers as allies for movement and im thinking of using my long drong slayers to build some. I realy dont want to use stormcast as allies they just dont fit in in my eyes. 2 Cannons and an engineer is also realy nice you can realy pressure your opponent with them.

• Like 1

Dispossessed rule idea: Many new armies rules have seen the creation of summoning tables. Certain events in the game generate points used to summon units. How about Dispossessed get a table of their own. This would not be a summoning table though as summoning is not native to our army. Instead it will be a rune magic table. Any time a spell is denied by a Dispossessed unit (runelord and icons), you gain a point. Points can be turned in (Runes activated) to apply buffs or trigger effects. Lower on the table would be things like +1 to hit or other simple buffs. Higher on the table would be more powerful buffs like extra attacks or mortal wound generation. I feel that adding a system like this would add a nice foil to the heavy magic system Age of Sigmar currently finds itself in. It would certainly be something interesting we don't really see on the tabletop. 

The concept is interesting but too onedimensional. What if no magic is on the table, lets say we face khorne or KO or fyreslayer or some low magic opponent like Stormcast, Idoneth, BoC etc? Could be good against 4 spells/round but what about the 0-2 spells/round army?

Seems like a mechanic that buff our units the more the opponent shoot at them. What if the opponent dosn't have shooting? Is magic really that heavy right now? What if in an year from now magic isn't that strong cause shooting is on the rise and wizards get sniped?

7 hours ago, Furuzzolo said:

The concept is interesting but too onedimensional. What if no magic is on the table, lets say we face khorne or KO or fyreslayer or some low magic opponent like Stormcast, Idoneth, BoC etc? Could be good against 4 spells/round but what about the 0-2 spells/round army?

Seems like a mechanic that buff our units the more the opponent shoot at them. What if the opponent dosn't have shooting? Is magic really that heavy right now? What if in an year from now magic isn't that strong cause shooting is on the rise and wizards get sniped?

I agree, though the base concept would be interesting. Perhaps we get these runes in place of spells? Something to help even the playing field or make us stand out a bit. Or maybe we get something that benefits ys whenever we fulfill a grudge on the table in some way?

I think we could use many ideas.

Mines are 3:

1-picks snd tunnels, 3 tunnels that we can put at the deployment and we can teleport units from there

2-a grudge book,giving a inmune to moral aura and a extra1 attack to units at12" and have some bonus as:

-we get a reroll hits and wound vs enemy units that have killed a dispossesed unit

-we get a +1 attacks for every dispossesed unit if our general is slain

3- a runeforgue with many bonus,we can choose those bonus as attack runes or defensive runes and some rune that let us bring back units killed.

Also i hope when we get the ironweld units back they fix the warscroll as the stormcast ballista,per example the cannon be a unit with one cannon and 3 dwarfs,with 7 wounds and save 4

Also i would love see some changues to warriors and lomgbeards,it is stupid that we can have 2 hand weapon and shields at the same time.

I would like if we have to choose betwen dsmage and defense so or 2 hand or 1 hand and shield.

But the one hand weapons could be buffed to 2 attacks and the 2 hand weapon get also 2 attacks and a extra 1" rangue 

19 minutes ago, xking said:

What was his list?

Allegiance: Khorne

Leaders

Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster (320)
- General
Bloodsecrator (140)
Slaughterpriest (100)

Battleline
10 x Bloodletters (120)
30 x Bloodletters (320)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 65

I don't remember what the traits and item was on his general, but it doesn't really matter since he was killed first turn.

Edited by Ironbreaker
Wrong Bloodthirster
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Dammaz said:

Let me guess... Full Irondrakes in his bloodthirster's face ?

And a perfectly aligned shieldwall agains't his bloodletters ?

All in all, congrats !

Yep,  he tried a turn one charge into my line with the bloodthirster but failed and was left sitting in the middle of the field. Irondrakes and Organ Gun blew him off the board.  Blocked his bloodletter charge with Warriors and Longbeards while the Irondrakes took out half the unit of thirty turn 2. His Slaughter Priest tried to pray to Khrone but was deemed unworthy and took 3 damage and was sniped by the Gunmaster soon after. His Bloodsecrator, a backbone to his army, was taken out with a single Organ Gun use. His army started having to take battleshock after that which decimated the two Bloodletter units left. it was overall a bloody battle that more than likely pleased Khorne, my opponent was sorely disappointed however. 

• Like 1

Some good news from the front.

I played a 1250 Scorched Earth vs Ironjawz, my list was:

Unforged. General (+1 wounds). Pickaxe.

Runelord x2

Warriors x40

Ironbreakers x10

Irondrakes x20

Cannon

My opponent fielded 1 wierdnob, 3 gore gruntas, 3 units of 5 Brutes, 10 ardboyz and an orruk warboss on boar.

Was a short game, the warriors formed a line of 48" crossing 2 mystical terrains, with the 6+ extrasave from the runelord they soaked all the charges, killed 10 brutes. The shooting took the rest.

The unforged pickaxed on one objective, burned it and the opponent called it at turn3.

My takes:

1) 40 warriors are insane at 1250

2) Irondrakes with -1 rend are our most reliable source of damage in every game.

3) If they cannot reach the cannon, the cannon reach their souls.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 3

Hello, dwarf-things. I'm considering building a dispossessed army soon. I keep hearing how awesome pickaxed thunderer/quarreler strike teams are and big blocks of warriors. I really like the newer dwarf sculpts and was wondering how hard I'd be gimping myself if I didn't use the old warriors/thunderers/quarrelers. How much will getting back artillery and gyros shake things up list-wise?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Verminlord said:

Hello, dwarf-things. I'm considering building a dispossessed army soon. I keep hearing how awesome pickaxed thunderer/quarreler strike teams are and big blocks of warriors. I really like the newer dwarf sculpts and was wondering how hard I'd be gimping myself if I didn't use the old warriors/thunderers/quarrelers. How much will getting back artillery and gyros shake things up list-wise?

Replace the deepstriking quarrellers with irondrakes and blocks of warriors with long beards/ironbreakers. They fulfil the same roles but in a more elite and durable way per model. So yes you’ll be hamstringing yourself a bit but you’ll  be playing a non tome army already. So kind of hindering yourself their game wise already. 

For the record I’m with you on the aesthetics. Give me an heavily armoured dwarf model any day of the warriors design. 

I think the addition of long range artillery (with the new stormcast set up of including the crew and the machine as one) will change everything. Right now no opponent has to hurry to get to us. Most opponents could in theory keep redeploying until turn 5 to set up their perfect charge. With the addition of long range damage they need to come to us. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kramer said:

Replace the deepstriking quarrellers with irondrakes and blocks of warriors with long beards/ironbreakers. They fulfil the same roles but in a more elite and durable way per model. So yes you’ll be hamstringing yourself a bit but you’ll  be playing a non tome army already. So kind of hindering yourself their game wise already. 

For the record I’m with you on the aesthetics. Give me an heavily armoured dwarf model any day of the warriors design. 

I think the addition of long range artillery (with the new stormcast set up of including the crew and the machine as one) will change everything. Right now no opponent has to hurry to get to us. Most opponents could in theory keep redeploying until turn 5 to set up their perfect charge. With the addition of long range damage they need to come to us. 

Assuming we get our artillery back in the next ghb how would this list look?

Allegiance: Dispossessed
- Grudge: Shoddy Craftsmanship
Warden King (120)
- General
- Trait: Resolute 
- Artefact: Ancestral Pickaxe 
Runelord (100)
Runelord (100)
Cogsmith (100)
30 x Hammerers (420)
10 x Longbeards (100)
- Great Axes & Shields
10 x Longbeards (100)
- Great Axes & Shields
20 x Ironbreakers (280)
20 x Irondrakes (360)
Cannon (160)
Cannon (160)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 118

2 minutes ago, Verminlord said:

Assuming we get our artillery back in the next ghb how would this list look?

Allegiance: Dispossessed
- Grudge: Shoddy Craftsmanship
Warden King (120)
- General
- Trait: Resolute 
- Artefact: Ancestral Pickaxe 
Runelord (100)
Runelord (100)
Cogsmith (100)
30 x Hammerers (420)
10 x Longbeards (100)
- Great Axes & Shields
10 x Longbeards (100)
- Great Axes & Shields
20 x Ironbreakers (280)
20 x Irondrakes (360)
Cannon (160)
Cannon (160)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 118

No idea, because you have no idea if we'll even get cannons :D But even now you can definitely try it. Depending on your opponent you might get one/two turns of shooting out of the cannons and like I said before, he/she will have to get some counterplay going. If you're allowed to shoot for 5 turns they will be well worth the investment. So it will force your opponent to do something and maybe overreach. Experiment and report back with your results. :) 

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 11:29 PM, Furuzzolo said:

Some good news from the front.

I played a 1250 Scorched Earth vs Ironjawz, my list was:

Unforged. General (+1 wounds). Pickaxe.

Runelord x2

Warriors x40

Ironbreakers x10

Irondrakes x20

Cannon

My opponent fielded 1 wierdnob, 3 gore gruntas, 3 units of 5 Brutes, 10 ardboyz and an orruk warboss on boar.

Was a short game, the warriors formed a line of 48" crossing 2 mystical terrains, with the 6+ extrasave from the runelord they soaked all the charges, killed 10 brutes. The shooting took the rest.

The unforged pickaxed on one objective, burned it and the opponent called it at turn3.

My takes:

1) 40 warriors are insane at 1250

2) Irondrakes with -1 rend are our most reliable source of damage in every game.

3) If they cannot reach the cannon, the cannon reach their souls.

Worth noting for mystical it's "models within 1" not just units, so If you did string your unit out to grab both terrain pieces and was taking the mystical save you'd have to be removing the models within 1" of the terrain which would likely break coherency and in your battle shock phase would have to remove models to remake coherency. 

1 hour ago, AaronWIlson said:

Worth noting for mystical it's "models within 1" not just units, so If you did string your unit out to grab both terrain pieces and was taking the mystical save you'd have to be removing the models within 1" of the terrain which would likely break coherency and in your battle shock phase would have to remove models to remake coherency. 

We played it correctly and i did remove units from within 1". Never took battleshock due to command point banking (no command abilities in the army). We were playing on a 2x2 as 1000 points games suggest ;)

Ok, so, that's not a masterpiece but still...more or less AHAHAH

Dispo.jpg.69b577b85b423d9c125c61f0ace3cb85.jpg

Edited by Furuzzolo
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

2 minutes ago, AaronWIlson said:

Nonetheless even if you're not required to take a battleshock test, as per the FAQ you're still required to remove models to retain units coherency if in any battle shock phase any of your units aren't in coherency @Furuzzolo.

And i told you that i mantained coherency all game long. We followed the rule and i'm well aware how both mystical terrain and coherency rule works.

Hello guys,

I've been lurking this topic for some time as it seems to be full of worthy advices from longbeards like you and also pretty informative about what may be coming for our noble race.

I've played WFB 6th edition a bit 10 years ago ! And now that I've stumbled upon my collection of bearded minis I've felt an urge to get all that hair and metal painted and fielded on a battleground again.

I've contacted a local group and we will be playing progressives games of 500, 750 and 1000 points. I've read the free rules and warscrolls and started to listen/read to some material regarding how to play, how to make lists and how to be a fierce duardin, and that's what got me here.

I've not set my mind on the list I would be playing, but it will revolve a lot around packs of warriors and thunderers/quarrelers (bonus if I can field that badass goblin-hewer that I'm found about 😍 ). I will probably be toying and experimenting around with list configuration while I'm learning the ropes.

Though my immediate concerns is on assembling those warriors, so I'll get to the point:

On warriors, are double-handed axes always more effective than their single handed-counterpart?

On the paper, it seems that a pack of > 20 would better benefits from their rules about re-rolling failed to-wound, since better to-hit means statistically more hits and then the re-roll could trigger quite often. Though as it only activates on opponent's turn it may be to marginal to be considered.

On another hand, re-rolling 1s on 3+ rolls with +1 from the Warden King seems pretty nasty...

I'm also troubled if I should assemble my shooty guys either as quarrelers or thunderers, though I have some metal ones to play with before I should make my decision. But maybe their effectiveness change drastically when getting above 20? I dunno...

It could be nice if we get our war machines back into the allegiance in the future, but what I miss the most from our glory days (remember when we were an "elite" army? 😛 ) is to engrave runes on just about every piece of my army!

27 minutes ago, raaaahman said:

n the paper, it seems that a pack of > 20 would better benefits from their rules about re-rolling failed to-wound, since better to-hit means statistically more hits and then the re-roll could trigger quite often. Though as it only activates on opponent's turn it may be to marginal to be considered.

I dont think that difference is massive & without doing the math I’m convinced the rend on the great weapons is more valuable in the course of the turn. So regardless if you will take more advantage at >20 of the re-roll with hand axes the rend will be more efficient. 

But love to be proven wrong by somebody who is available to do the math. 

On a side note I think unit size should be based on intended battlefield role. So you want them to screen and speed bump a turn. I’d rather take 2 units of 10, otherwise big units are king in this edition of AoS (although I personally think 40 man squads are very unwieldy. Never tried with warriors but this is based on my experience with dreadspears and clanrats. )

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Kramer said:

I dont think that difference is massive & without doing the math I’m convinced the rend on the great weapons is more valuable in the course of the turn. So regardless if you will take more advantage at >20 of the re-roll with hand axes the rend will be more efficient. 

But love to be proven wrong by somebody who is available to do the math. 

On a side note I think unit size should be based on intended battlefield role. So you want them to screen and speed bump a turn. I’d rather take 2 units of 10, otherwise big units are king in this edition of AoS (although I personally think 40 man squads are very unwieldy. Never tried with warriors but this is based on my experience with dreadspears and clanrats. )

@Kramer is on point, the 40 man is very good but you need to deploy and move thinking way ahead. If the opponent engage them wisely you get stuck with 10 attacking a unit, 10 another and  20 in the middle kinda keeping coherency. Removing models from wound is very painful in this scenario.

I've never done the math and I'll whenever i have 30min but i always like the rend when possible, -1 is good but you can easly stack it to -2 from the Runelord and that's when the math really change. -2 is the jump from "a couple of wounds" to "mortal wounds" for a lot of units in the game!

• Thanks 1