AoS 2 - Dispossessed Discussion

Chris Tomlin

2 hours ago, Kramer said:
47 minutes ago, Furuzzolo said:

*snip*

*snip*

I sort of answered my own question after a bit lol. I decided to use to free cities generator to see if I can get some fluff for my army and this is what I typed up. 

"

While traveling in Hysh, you might have heard of one of the cities that's bordering a well guarded Realmgate, Frosthollow. Aptly named, as what the first settlers thought was ice and snow, was actually powdered and shattered crystal from natural geysers from below. And beneath the surface ran an enormous cave system of shining gems and crystalline formations that form the backbone of trade for the city.

Frosthollow is home to mainly Duardin, from clans all over the realms, living in harmony with the nearby glade of crystal encrusted Sylvaneth. The Duardin, largely made of smiths and craftsmen, make the majority of the cities inhabitants. Travelers come from to and fro, but never usually stay long. The stubbornness of the dwarf mixed with the ambivalence of the Sylvaneth does not make for good company. The two races maintain an uneasy relationship with one another, but the Duardin are much too busy with their crafts and smithing to worry about what the trees are plotting. To them, they're as if a living wall for the Duardin within, and that's perfectly acceptable living arrangements. The Sylvaneth barely tarry into the city much at all, usually only to do sweeps for Chaos corruption, or to travel through the Realmgate. Rumors abound that their glade is circling the city to protect some ancient evil underground, but why then would they let the Dwarfs dig?

Some notable mentions of Frosthollow's amenities is the realm- famous Gunnery school, The Crimson Guard, where the special crystals from the mine underneath the town are used to make bullets hard enough to lance through several men at once. The handguns and drakeguns of the town's militia are feared for their signature ability to rend through even the toughest armor. The Realmgate itself lies in the center of town, providing all manner of bustle and mercantile from the neighboring towns in Ulgu."

Which lead me to this (trial) army list. I have everything but another 10 warriors, but those are easy to find. 

Allegiance: Dispossessed
- Grudge: Shoddy Craftsmanship
Warden King (120)
- General
- Trait: Resolute 
Runelord (100)
- Artefact: Ancestral Pickaxe 
30 x Warriors (240)
- Axes or Hammers
10 x Ironbreakers (140)
20 x Thunderers (240)
Cannon (160)
- Allies

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 160 / 200
Wounds: 74

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

That's some Fyreslayer's Lodge statue. Those trolls could have not taken a Dispossessed fort by any means, nor reach for the valuable stone work inside of it.

If that actually IS a Dispossessed statue they for sure have looted a ruin of our ancestors and earned a grudge big as a f*****g Cogfort 😡

Edited by Furuzzolo
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, Furuzzolo said:

That's some Fyreslayer's Lodge statue. Those trolls could have not taken a Dispossessed fort by any means, nor reach for the valuable stone work inside of it.

If that actually IS a Dispossessed statue they for sure have looted a ruin of our ancestors and earned a grudge big as a f*****g Cogfort 😡

We're gonna need a bigger book!

• Haha 3

A lot of new players tend to avoid older kits (warriors, thunderers, quarrelers) for good reasons.... At 1000 points i find them optimal, tho.

By the way, if you prefer to stick to recent sculpts i think you can drop one runelord to add Longbeards (2h), ironbreakers for more longbeards or a cannon? 

Or keep the 2 Runelord and leave home the warden king to have some more points to invest in Ironbreakers and Longbeards (or a cannon. Have i already stated my love for cannons?)

edit: the reason for that you're bringing 320 points of heroes to support 600 points of chaps.

At 2000 point i usually field 420 points of heroes to support *around* 1500 points of chaps. 

"You need bodies to support, not support to bodies" (??? 🤔 don't quote me on this ahah)

Edited by Furuzzolo

So I'm tinkering with 2k lists and I think I have a relatively solid base of infantry and heroes. 

Warden King (120)
- General
Runelord (100)
Runelord (100)
30 x Warriors (240)
- Double-handed Duardin Axes & Shields
30 x Ironbreakers (360)
10 x Longbeards (100)
- Great Axes & Shields
20 x Thunderers (240)
20 x Irondrakes (360)

Total: 1620 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 7
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 125

So that leaves the fun stuff. Currently considering the following, in any combination. Currently would like to stay away from  Kharadron. 

- Any variety of cannons/organ guns and an engineer 

- A pair of Gyrocopters/Gyrobombers 

- Grimwrath Berzerker or Auric Runesmiter and Hearthguard

- A Steam Tank

- Knight Incantor + Comet

What do you guys think would work best? What's more fun? 

6 minutes ago, RaritanAnon said:

Yes, you have a solid block to work with. 

Are Stormcast out of the allies options? Fulminators, Celestant Prime and ballistae work pretty well. (I just hate the look of them)

Gyro-copter-bomber are fun and good but you need to bring them in units of one, that really suck. I hope for, at least, 2 man units of them...in the next ghb.

Knight incantor+ comet could be good but i don't think is a step in the right direction compensating for the allegiance problems. 

A fyreslayers deepstrike could be good to double our pickaxe menace, i never tried (i don't like naked dwarves) but should be effective!

Steam tank, cannons, organ guns... I love all of them. The Steam Tank is my favorite to bring on the table, very fun unit.

3 minutes ago, Furuzzolo said:

Yes, you have a solid block to work with. 

Are Stormcast out of the allies options? Fulminators, Celestant Prime and ballistae work pretty well. (I just hate the look of them)

Gyro-copter-bomber are fun and good but you need to bring them in units of one, that really suck. I hope for, at least, 2 man units of them...in the next ghb.

Knight incantor+ comet could be good but i don't think is a step in the right direction compensating for the allegiance problems. 

A fyreslayers deepstrike could be good to double our pickaxe menace, i never tried (i don't like naked dwarves) but should be effective!

Steam tank, cannons, organ guns... I love all of them. The Steam Tank is my favorite to bring on the table, very fun unit.

I'm not a big fan of Stormcast, in general. I'd rather keep dwarfs being dwarfs. 

I really like the copter/bomber models but yeah, being alone is kind of annoying. At least they're only 80pts. The bomber seems the better of the two, causing mortal wounds for each flyover and a decent gun. 

I considered doing something with Vulkites for the deepstrike but they're just too damn expensive to collect imo. I don't like spending $60 for 10 when I need 20-30 of them. I don't mind the models. I figured Auric Hearthguard would be a great alternative to deepstriking Irondrakes. They're very similar. Hearthguard Berzerkers are an amazing melee hero if I can get them into combat, too. 

Steam Tanks seem really hardy for what they do. 12 wounds, 3+ save with a regeneration every turn. Lots of weapons. Organ Guns and Cannons are great but it's sorta hard to fit a pair of them into the list as well as an engineer. I'm sure there's an optimal combination. 

5 hours ago, RaritanAnon said:

So I'm tinkering with 2k lists and I think I have a relatively solid base of infantry and heroes. 

Warden King (120)
- General
Runelord (100)
Runelord (100)
30 x Warriors (240)
- Double-handed Duardin Axes & Shields
30 x Ironbreakers (360)
10 x Longbeards (100)
- Great Axes & Shields
20 x Thunderers (240)
20 x Irondrakes (360)

Total: 1620 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 7
Wounds: 125

So that leaves the fun stuff. Currently considering the following, in any combination. Currently would like to stay away from  Kharadron. 

- Any variety of cannons/organ guns and an engineer 

- A pair of Gyrocopters/Gyrobombers 

- Grimwrath Berzerker or Auric Runesmiter and Hearthguard

- A Steam Tank

- Knight Incantor + Comet

What do you guys think would work best? What's more fun? 

Allegiance: Tempest's Eye

Leaders
Warden King (120)
Unforged (100)
Runelord (100)
Runelord (100)

Battleline
30 x Longbeards (270)
- Great Axes & Shields
10 x Longbeards (100)
- Great Axes & Shields
10 x Longbeards (100)
- Great Axes & Shields
10 x Longbeards (100)
- Great Axes & Shields

Units
10 x Ironbreakers (140)
10 x Ironbreakers (140)
30 x Irondrakes (540)

Battalions
Grudgebound War Throng (170)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 130

This is how i would built my dwarfs if i try them. 

Edited by cofaxest

2 hours ago, cofaxest said:

Leaders
Warden King (120)
Unforged (100)
Runelord (100)
Runelord (100)

Battleline
30 x Longbeards (270)
- Great Axes & Shields
10 x Longbeards (100)
- Great Axes & Shields
10 x Longbeards (100)
- Great Axes & Shields
10 x Longbeards (100)
- Great Axes & Shields

Units
10 x Ironbreakers (140)
10 x Ironbreakers (140)
30 x Irondrakes (540)

Battalions

That's a whole lot of dorfs doing a whole lot of nothing. What exactly is your goal here? From what I see, our battalion is absolutely not worth it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cofaxest said:

Leaders
Warden King (120)
Unforged (100)
Runelord (100)
Runelord (100)

Battleline
30 x Longbeards (270)
- Great Axes & Shields
10 x Longbeards (100)
- Great Axes & Shields
10 x Longbeards (100)
- Great Axes & Shields
10 x Longbeards (100)
- Great Axes & Shields

Units
10 x Ironbreakers (140)
10 x Ironbreakers (140)
30 x Irondrakes (540)

Battalions

Yeah this list doesn’t seem all that great, the battalion is not great and it’s a lot of tax for not much return. Drop the battalion and unforged, drop some longbeards, (why do you have so many) add some Hammerers most importantly. 

6 hours ago, RaritanAnon said:

That's a whole lot of dorfs doing a whole lot of nothing. What exactly is your goal here? From what I see, our battalion is absolutely not worth it. 

Rush forward - kill everything with fire - take a hit - finish off. 120 shots (90 if we take first turn and move) with irondrakes with 3+(reroll 1s)/2+/-2/1 not something you can ignore... 

1 hour ago, cofaxest said:

Rush forward - kill everything with fire - take a hit - finish off. 120 shots (90 if we take first turn and move) with irondrakes with 3+(reroll 1s)/2+/-2/1 not something you can ignore... 

You put too much faith into a single unit when that's not how Dispossessed works at all. Irondrakes aren't some auto-win button. If even a single one dies, that's 18 points down the tubes and its not like they're invulnerable. 

5 minutes ago, RaritanAnon said:

You put too much faith into a single unit when that's not how Dispossessed works at all. Irondrakes aren't some auto-win button. If even a single one dies, that's 18 points down the tubes and its not like they're invulnerable. 

3+ save with ignore rend-1 on turn 1 plus 6+ ignore w and mw not so bad. plus 6" move turn 1 can help too.

But mostly i just think that this army will look cool on board that's it )

For more competitive tournament i will more likely take my KO (in the end i have more then 7k points Grand Armada). 

22 minutes ago, cofaxest said:

3+ save with ignore rend-1 on turn 1 plus 6+ ignore w and mw not so bad. plus 6" move turn 1 can help too.

But mostly i just think that this army will look cool on board that's it )

For more competitive tournament i will more likely take my KO (in the end i have more then 7k points Grand Armada). 

Where are you getting the 3+ save on the Irondrakes?

Edit: Nevermind, I just noticed the Free City Allegiance

Edited by Ironbreaker
Misread the list

Hi all, I'm new to AoS (but play a bunch of 40k and other scifi systems) and I dug out a huge dwarf force that I had in my loft from my WHFB days as a teenager, most of the sculpts are battle for skull pass or metal OOP ones. I've been reading up on things but would like a bit of assistance trying to make something out what I've got. I'm encountering a problem though in that some of my units and artillery are part Dwarf / part dispossessed / part Ironweld so I don't know what to do. If I played Grand Alliance Order would it work okay?

Can I make a decent list out of what I've got without having to buy more stuff? Also is there a way I could run a decent dispossessed allegiance list at 1k so I can get this pickaxe I oft keep reading about. Thanks fellow beards!

Heres what I've got in total:

Allegiance: Order

Leaders
Warden King (120)
Warden King (120)
Runelord (100)
Unforged (100)
Cogsmith (100)

Battleline
20 x Warriors (160) (Have 2 lots of command so can be 2 x 10)
- Axes or Hammers & Shields
10 x Longbeards (100)
- Great Axes & Shields

Units
20 x Ironbreakers (280) (Have 2 lots of command so can be 2 x 10)
20 x Thunderers (240) (Have 2 lots of command so can be 2 x 10)
10 x Miners (120)

War Machines
Duardin Bolt Thrower (120)
Grudge Thrower (180)
Cannon (160)
Cannon (160)

Total: 2060 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 127

• Like 1