AoS 2 - Dispossessed Discussion

Chris Tomlin

3 hours ago, Ironbreaker said:

It's kinda hard to play someone different when we are just about the only players at the store

Ask for a one game army swap.

When you play an army you have the feelings of what could scare you and what not, watching the opponent making decisions... Could help!

Hi fellows dorfs !

So, back from our friendly tournament !

I'll send you the detailed battle reports later on, and take the time to add pictures, if they are not of bad quality.

But a quick recap' first !

We were 5 players, going on for a friendly match play. The set was as following : 1v1, everyone did a match against everyone. Each victory gave us points, depending on Major or Minor victory.

The tables were the same for every match, and no scenery were used (Too much things to haul for transport...)

The opponents were : Dispossessed, Moonclan Grots, Beastclaw Raiders, Seraphons, Beasts of Chaos.

I ended second in ranking, finals are yet to be done.

My first match was against BCR. I will not post a detailed report of this one, it was a one-way match. My beloved opponent did so many crappy casts that she couldn't do anything past turn 2. Her list was good and could have hit sooo hard with her Stonehorn, but no... He didn't hit anything after charging. You can guess what happened next. A major victory, but without opposition nor flavor... I'm not proud of this one... :/

2nd match, against Groti. This one made me sweat, and I lost, but not without hard fight.

It was a domination one, and I got outrunned by 2 packs of 60 and 40 grots, supported by Mangler Squig, Doom divers (*2) and squigg Gobba. Their artillery was jokes, seriously, but the grots... She took position on BOTH objectives turn One, and I didn't manage to get her out, even in my own area. I was literally trapped inside a grots swamp. I killed so many of them that I can't recount, but still... lost. That's a Major victory for her, and another grudge for those greenskins. My major mistake was that i didn't give her first turn and did nothing effective during this first turn, and got double-turned right in the kisser.

3rd match, Seraphons. This one was tough. Engine of Gods, Croak and Slaan, Balewind Vortex, Dread saurian, you get the idea. My opponent was eager to put a mini Croak-nado in my face while his Dread saurian (a.k.a Schnappy) and an invocated Carnosaur had a craving dwarven meat envy. Lessons learned from Match 2 against grots, I gave the first turn. Schnappy got TP at 9" from my Quarellers and charged. My 20 Quarellers were eaten in almost only one attack. But,  at my turn, my opponent learned that Irondrakes LOVE when a monster comes closer. Lesson learned the hard way. We then got in a trenches war, holding our objectives and firing at each others. Me with Irondrakes and Thunderers/Frigate, him with Croak and its spells, engine of god, and Bastiladon.

I managed to take the upper hand by pickaxing irondrakes on his flank, killing his Engine of gods, and the 2nd one that was invocated the next turn; but only to get followed in terms of points.

Finally, I got a minor victory at turn 5, only for 20pts. That was an intense fight, for both of us. Specials mentions to our Runic Icons, that denied SO many MW from spells and our Runelords for dispelling.

4th match, Beast of Chaos. I didn't know what I was heading to, with the new battletome. The Herdstone and the new endless spells were frightening me, because of -1 Save and the possibles combos for BoC. But I got extremely nasty, and I could renamed this match "Tricks and Traps" ( ;) ).

I got first turn, and managed to get as close as possible from his lines with my Frigate, and dropped 10 Thunderers at 12" from his units. With them, i snipped down turn one one of his Shaman and wipped down his meatshields of ungors with Quarrellers and Irondrakes. He then charged head on, on my line of Quarrelers on left side with Bestigors, and with dragonogors, shaggoths, chariots and bullgors on Frigate and Thunderer. And that's were the fun begins...

I managed to dispell EVERY spells he tried to castHe didn't strike my Thunderers first and choose to strike my Quarrellers. They got battered hard, but took the blow quite well and didn't flee, allowing my ironbreakers to join the fight. But first... I withdrew my Thunderers, letting my frigate all alone with big monsters around it. It was destroyed during combat phase (it's not really tanky), letting everything at my irondrakes range... Turn 2 was an inferno for goatmens. The Shaggot got gunned down, the bullgors too with thunderers and finally... @Furuzzolo, thanks once again. My Unforged managed to charge the Dragons Ogors, dealing 24 damages all alone ! That's a One man - Shotgun !

This turn sealed the match, as he didn't manage to pierce my ironbreakers and I killed his Gorghon. Major Victory.

That's for my 4 "qualifications" match. I end up in final match... Against grots... :/

I'll send the detailed reports later, as their is much to say... My feelings are mixed upon certains elements, especially about the Frigate and Grundstok Thunderers as allies.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Dammaz said:

My Unforged managed to charge the Dragons Ogors, dealing 24 damages all alone ! That's a One man - Shotgun !

Ahahah, "The Unforged Shotgun" sound like a good name for a list!

I'm very happy to see some positive results in this post; grats on your performance and slay those greenskinz in the final!

(Btw the Unforged combo is nasty as ****** vs chaos ahahah)

So, I'm curious if anyone has seen or tried this before, and how well it worked out...

The idea is to run an Order army with Living City allegiance built around the grudgebound war throng. Here's the list at 2000 pts:

1 Warden King

1 Runelord

1 Unforged

4x10 Warriors

10 Hammerers

30 Ironbreakers

20 Irondrakes

1 Treelord Ancient

The battalion gives all the bonuses of dispossessed allegiance (except for pickaxe). From my understanding of the living city allegiance I could deploy in just 2 drops and leave most of my army in reserve. Then I could summon wildwoods and deploy ironbreakers, drakes etc. on objectives / at the board edges. What do you think? What could go wrong?

Recently, I usd the pickaxe on the unforged (with 20 irondrakes).

Great deal indeed, because no one care about a naked dwarf but, if the opponent do...well, it is only 100pts. So it is ok if I loose it.

My list was: 1 unforged, 2 runelords, 1 celestant prime, 30 ironbreakers, 20 irondrakes, 30 quarellers, 20 longbeards and 10 warriors. Very pleasant to play, with an unexpected mobilty considering I was playing dwarves.

Next, I have a 1k tournament. I think I will use the following: 1 runelord, 1 grimwrath, 20 ironbreakers, 20 irondrakes, 10 longbeards and 1 gyrobomber (fot the fun AND the mobility)

Edited by Crashnarf
  • Like 1

On 11/14/2018 at 10:01 AM, Dammaz said:

Hi fellows Dawi !

Need some advices here.

We are doing a friendly tournaments this week end (5 players) and we must play with one and only one 2K list for the whole.

I add that we'll be playing with home made rules : 500pts of allies for 2000 pts.

What do you think of this list ?

Allegiance : Dispossessed (duh!)

Leaders :

Warden King

Runelord (Pickaxe)

Runelord

Unforged (Anraheir's Claw, thanks @Furuzzolo !)

Units :

Ironbreakers *20

Irondrakes *10

Longbeard *10

Quarrellers *20

Warriors *20

Allies :

Arkanaut Frigate (great cannon)

Grundstok Thunderers *10 (3 Aethershot Rifles, 1 fumigator, 2 decksweeper, 2 Cannon, 2 mortar

Battalion :

Grudgebound War Throng

Total : 1990/2000pts         124 wounds      

I'll try to make some detailed reports of each round and battle, and take some photos for you.

My opponents will be : Some stinky goatsmen, Shnappi das Kleine Crocodil, Some Icy ogri and, of course, filthy grobi.

The main goal here is to grab objectives quickly with the Frigate and thunderers,  hold on with covering fire while the rest of my army advance.

Thanks for replies !

Don’t you need a couple more units for a grudgebound war throng? Or am I missing  something here. 

I’d considered trying to build an army around that battalion myself, but I found the amount of units to take limiting (as it’s hard to fit in many units larger than the minimum unit size) 

Edited by Azamar
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Bolgan said:

So, I'm curious if anyone has seen or tried this before, and how well it worked out...

The idea is to run an Order army with Living City allegiance built around the grudgebound war throng. Here's the list at 2000 pts:

1 Warden King

1 Runelord

1 Unforged

4x10 Warriors

10 Hammerers

30 Ironbreakers

20 Irondrakes

1 Treelord Ancient

The battalion gives all the bonuses of dispossessed allegiance (except for pickaxe). From my understanding of the living city allegiance I could deploy in just 2 drops and leave most of my army in reserve. Then I could summon wildwoods and deploy ironbreakers, drakes etc. on objectives / at the board edges. What do you think? What could go wrong?

I’ve comsidered something like this, when my friend’s new sylvaneth are ready, but haven’t looked closely.   If the Treelord gets taken out, can you still deploy at least from table edges?

7 hours ago, DrDemento said:

I’ve comsidered something like this, when my friend’s new sylvaneth are ready, but haven’t looked closely.   If the Treelord gets taken out, can you still deploy at least from table edges?

Ya, the reserves can be deployed in a wyldwood or on a table edge. I was thinking more about it and I think taking 2 treelords makes the list more reliable if you want to place a wyldwood and all your dwarves on the objective turn 1 (you'd just have to shrink some of the units).  Capping an objective turn 1 is great because your dwarves will get a 3+ re-rollable save from the cover and their shield wall.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bladedwind said:

I was going over my list and I had a question. I'm thinking of bumping down to one Cannon, using a gunmaster as the Engineer, which, if my math is correct, leaves me 80 points. Would bumping my Ironbreakers from 20 to 30 be best, or should I grab a Grimwrath Berzerker?

Both are cool, both have value. Buuut, I think go Ironbreakers. Making your anvil harder is very valuable :) 

• Thanks 1

Ironbreakers are a very good anvil but with their 2x attacks can dish out a lot of wounds, if you need them to. With runelord and warden king they become Hammerers, add longbeards and they'll hurt! 

You always need to look at warscroll with our army buffs in mind; the Grimwrath is good but cannot benefit from buffs.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Furuzzolo said:

Ironbreakers are a very good anvil but with their 2x attacks can dish out a lot of wounds, if you need them to. With runelord and warden king they become Hammerers, add longbeards and they'll hurt! 

You always need to look at warscroll with our army buffs in mind; the Grimwrath is good but cannot benefit from buffs.

True. But if you want offensibe power you go hammerers (at least I do) if you want board control through surviveability I go ironbreakers. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Kordan said:

That is possible, perhaps we see a reconsolidation of the Dwarfs, the Elves, and the Humans.

I’m still waiting for free cities, legions of negash style tome. It would fix several problems for GW and could lead to a cool sub faction system like LoN. 

1. Gathers a lot of cool models and makes them more attractive in one go  

2. Saves a bunch on production cost compared to giving all those factions their own. Keeps the momentum going. 

3. It’s what they seemed to encourage during AoS 1.0. Mixing everything you like, less bound by races and factions but more of a soup approach. Even firestorm rules seemed to be made to encourage that. Same for path to glory tables in the official release. 

Would be a shame though because their is so much potential in dispossessed. Still seems likely to me. 

• Like 3

Hey there guys, 

I am seriously considering dispossessed as my next army. I love the models and think they could be really fun. 

Before I get started I do have a few questions. This is mostly based towards a competitive environment however, all feedback is appreciated. 

1) How does the army play? Fast? Slow? Camp objectives? Defensive? Offensive? Hard hitting or wet noodle? Do units die to a slight breeze? Or put up a good fight? 

2) what are the good match ups/bad match ups? Good scenarios/bad scenarios? 

3) does the army need allies to succeed? 

4) How competitive if at all would you say the army is? 

Edited by EchoHavoc

Allegiance: Dispossessed
- Grudge: Shoddy Craftsmanship
Mortal Realm: Chamon

Leaders
Auric Runesmiter (120)
- Runic Iron
- Allies
Runelord (100)
- Artefact: Ancestral Pickaxe 
Runelord (100)
Warden King (120)
- General
- Trait: Grudgebearer 

Battleline
30 x Ironbreakers (360)
30 x Longbeards (270)
- Great Axes & Shields
10 x Longbeards (100)
- Great Axes & Shields

Units
20 x Vulkite Berzerkers (240)
- Pairs of Handaxes
- Allies
30 x Irondrakes (540)

Total: 1950 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 360 / 400
Wounds: 140

This is not the best list. But man o man this can pulverize some units when you pop 30 irondrakes protected with some vulkites that also could strike fast

• Like 3

Spitballing a 1000 pt list. Nothing competetive but just want some thoughts.

Alleigance Order

General - Warden King  w/ Inspiring and Hoarfrost

Runelord

30 Warriors w/Hammer and Shields, Clan Banner

20 Longbeards w/ Great weapons, Shields 

10 Irondrakes w/ Grudgehammer

1 Cannon

5 hours ago, EchoHavoc said:

Hey there guys, 

I am seriously considering dispossessed as my next army. I love the models and think they could be really fun. 

Before I get started I do have a few questions. This is mostly based towards a competitive environment however, all feedback is appreciated. 

1) How does the army play? Fast? Slow? Camp objectives? Defensive? Offensive? Hard hitting or wet noodle? Do units die to a slight breeze? Or put up a good fight? 

2) what are the good match ups/bad match ups? Good scenarios/bad scenarios? 

3) does the army need allies to succeed? 

4) How competitive if at all would you say the army is? 

1) Slow, defensive, can hit hard, good at sitting on close objectives

2)

Good matchups: non battletome armies, other slow armies

Bad matchups: the rest

3) Not necessarily and imo a grudge if you do so

4) Teir 2.5. Definitely not teir 1 with daughters and legions, teir 2 with nurgle and others you will struggle but can win against, teir 3 should easily be able to win

Note none of this matters if the game modes has a bunch/moving objectives. You will lose. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Jetengine said:

Alleigance Order

Runelord

1 Cannon

No reason not to take the dispossessed allegiance, inspiring and hoarfrost aren’t that good and you miss out on the extremely necessary ancestral pickaxe. Also no reason not to take great weapons on the warriors as well, as either weapon choice still allows them to have shields. 

4 hours ago, Ragnar Alpaca said:

1) Slow, defensive, can hit hard, good at sitting on close objectives

2)

Good matchups: non battletome armies, other slow armies

Bad matchups: the rest

3) Not necessarily and imo a grudge if you do so

4) Teir 2.5. Definitely not teir 1 with daughters and legions, teir 2 with nurgle and others you will struggle but can win against, teir 3 should easily be able to win

Note none of this matters if the game modes has a bunch/moving objectives. You will lose. 

Amen

12 hours ago, Montogon said:

20 x Vulkite Berzerkers (240)
- Pairs of Handaxes
- Allies
30 x Irondrakes (540)

I think that could work, you are creating your own ambush mechanic!  You are stuffing exactly 50% of your points in that, tho, so even a little positioning mistake on the pickaxe turn could cost you a lot.

11 hours ago, Jetengine said:

Alleigance Order

Runelord

1 Cannon

@Ragnar Alpaca already pointed out that warriors should bring 2h+shield. I want to add that 10 Irondrakes are very fragile, if i bring them i bring 20. At 1000 points they're not my shooting units of choice. The cannon is cool, if you're building a list for a tournament i would bring a 10man shield to prevent deepstrike, if you know your opponent dosn't have deepstrike your list could work (you don't want to keep your 30 warriors back fearing a deepstrike but still i'm thinking at a pickaxe list, and i suggest you bring one, where one of youre big units is already selected to teleport away from the bulk of the army)

7 hours ago, Ragnar Alpaca said:

Don't be so negative, c'mon :( It's hard to "tier" Dispossessed, i think we can fare better then Fyreslayers and Kharadron Overlords, right now.

I play in a small group but we have some battletome army (maggotkin, Ironjawz, LoN ), if you prepare well and keep your focus on objective games you can grb some victory. Learning when pickaxe and keep the strike for objective made my winrate grow up; always keep in mind your victory condition and the points output/turn.

I always hope you can  understand what I'm saying, my English must seem really terrible.

• Like 1