AoS 2 - Dispossessed Discussion

Chris Tomlin

7 hours ago, pforson said:

Anyone? Anyone?

I'm thinking the same thing about the first list (a little too slow). The problem is even if you theoretically could make it to the middle objectives by game's end (and this isn't enough for some scenarios) their units can tie you up in combat for most of the game.

If I was running order, I'd use Tempest's Eye. Your second list look's pretty good and has the mobility, you'd have to try it out to see if it works. My preference for a tempest's eye list would be to mix in some endrinriggers and khemist in a list kind of like this...

1 runelord

1 aetherkhemist

30 longbeards

30 arkonauts w/ 9 skyhooks

9 endrinriggers w/ 3 grapnel launchers

The khemist doubles the attacks of the endrinriggers which can leap around >20" with their grapnel launchers. Meanwhile, the 30 longbeards and arkonauts hold the middle and benefit from extra attacks/rend from the runelord/aetherkhemist. Tempest's eye comes in handy by extending the threat range of the riggers/arkonauts. I've never played this list ('cause KO units are $$$) but it seems fun and shores up the weaknesses of dispossessed and KO.

4 hours ago, Ragnar Alpaca said:

Basically at lower points games going wide instead of tall most of the time works out better. 

Ya, I agree. Because you have fewer points to work you benefit less from support heroes (and synergy in general), so it's usually better to just bring good stuff. The most cost effective units on their own are often the basic troops.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings fellow Duardin! I'm very new to the hobby and collecting what I need for my armies. I wanted to post my preliminary lists and get some opinions from the old grumbling longbeards. This list is a bit of a flexible  2k list so recommendations are welcome. I have a 1k list almost built to get started soon.

Warden Kingx1 120

Runelordx3 300

Hammerersx30 420

Ironbreakersx20 280

Irondrakesx20 360

Longbeardsx10 100

Cannonsx2 320

I was thinking if I swap out one Cannon for an Organ gun, it alliws me to either run an extra Organ gun for three artillery pieces, or run two pieces and put the Longbeards at 20. Perhaps also swap out a Runelord for another Hero?

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Bladedwind said:

Greetings fellow Duardin! I'm very new to the hobby and collecting what I need for my armies. I wanted to post my preliminary lists and get some opinions from the old grumbling longbeards. This list is a bit of a flexible  2k list so recommendations are welcome. I have a 1k list almost built to get started soon.

Warden Kingx1 120

Runelordx3 300

Hammerersx30 420

Ironbreakersx20 280

Irondrakesx20 360

Longbeardsx10 100

Cannonsx2 320

I was thinking if I swap out one Cannon for an Organ gun, it alliws me to either run an extra Organ gun for three artillery pieces, or run two pieces and put the Longbeards at 20. Perhaps also swap out a Runelord for another Hero?

It looks like a list i would play! If my math is good you have 100 spare points.

You either add 10 longbeards ( a new unit or a 20 man one) or a grimwrath berserker!

If you want to play elite units this looks pretty good, to me ;)

Edit:

I want to add that our beloved duardins are pretty hard to play and GW could love us a bit more, you picked a beautiful army and need to practice it a bit. Be prepared to lose a lot, in the early practice! Don't give up and you are going to watch your enemy cry under your -2 rend hits! 

A big eyes opener on the strenght and weakness of the army is to swap your army with a friend and play against it, you'll see what's scary and what not!

Edited by Furuzzolo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Bladedwind said:

If you wanted, you could swap the cannons for organ guns (-80), add a gunmaster (+80) and 10 ironbreakers (+80). I think the organ guns with a gunmaster are the the best bang for your buck (no pun intended) and 10 more ironbreakers costs you less than 10 longbeards.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

37 minutes ago, Furuzzolo said:

I’d say if you are taking cannons and/or organ guns then take a Cogsmith for sure, and maybe also a Lord Ordinator with emphasis on maybe.

Also, consensus seems to be that you have to take the Ancestral Pickaxe to have mobility to grab an objective, and it’s also a big strategic threat your opponent has to deal with.  I agree and it’s also super fun to pop up with drakes or 30 quarrelers and likely erase a unit.

A lot of folks, including me, really love a unit of 30 quarrelers in addition to the 20 irondrakes.  

Even though the “meta” seems to have shifted away from missile, Dispossessed need the threat ranges from missiles and pickaxe to compensate for lack of mobility that all the newer armies have.

Also, as much as I love cannons and organ guns, they are very easy to kill with spells or missile - essentially 3 wounds each.  Placement at their maximum range is essential and even that isn’t always enough.

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! I think for a fact I'll be adding the extra Longbeards as a separate unit for sure to spread my battle line a bit and offer more support across the field, and I'll see how my games go once I get into a position to play.

I know I didn't pick the "easiest" or "best" faction based on where Dispossessed stand. But I have always loved fantasy dwarves, and I will play what I feel is fun and thematic for me.

And if anyone else tries to tell me otherwise, they go in the book!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bladedwind said:

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! I think for a fact I'll be adding the extra Longbeards as a separate unit for sure to spread my battle line a bit and offer more support across the field, and I'll see how my games go once I get into a position to play.

I know I didn't pick the "easiest" or "best" faction based on where Dispossessed stand. But I have always loved fantasy dwarves, and I will play what I feel is fun and thematic for me.

And if anyone else tries to tell me otherwise, they go in the book!

My thoughts exactly beardly fella, that's the spirit !

• Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Hi fellows Dawi !

Need some advices here.

We are doing a friendly tournaments this week end (5 players) and we must play with one and only one 2K list for the whole.

I add that we'll be playing with home made rules : 500pts of allies for 2000 pts.

What do you think of this list ?

Allegiance : Dispossessed (duh!)

Leaders :

Warden King

Runelord (Pickaxe)

Runelord

Unforged (Anraheir's Claw, thanks @Furuzzolo !)

Units :

Ironbreakers *20

Irondrakes *10

Longbeard *10

Quarrellers *20

Warriors *20

Allies :

Arkanaut Frigate (great cannon)

Grundstok Thunderers *10 (3 Aethershot Rifles, 1 fumigator, 2 decksweeper, 2 Cannon, 2 mortar

Battalion :

Grudgebound War Throng

Total : 1990/2000pts         124 wounds      

I'll try to make some detailed reports of each round and battle, and take some photos for you.

My opponents will be : Some stinky goatsmen, Shnappi das Kleine Crocodil, Some Icy ogri and, of course, filthy grobi.

The main goal here is to grab objectives quickly with the Frigate and thunderers,  hold on with covering fire while the rest of my army advance.

Thanks for replies !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm not going to discuss the units you picked, you'll judge them yourself at the end of the tournament and hopefully post your impressions!

That settled i don't like the pickaxe on the Runelord after the rewording of it in 2.0, seems like a waste of a Runelord, to me! 

The Thunderers weapons are a mess, as ally you can pick what you like best, i guess.... (with the khemist i usually go all rifle!)

I don't like the battalion, you either go Dispossessed allegiance or Order+ Battalion+luminarc, but that's a personal preference..

I'm eager  to read the report! An in depth one ;)

(Btw we all seem to ally mobility, lately! I need to try endrinriggers! )

To be fair, that's the idea of this list : try something new (with Kharadron).

I don't know (yet) if it's relevant and if our dorfs go well with their flying cousins. This is the occasion to try it in differents settings.

I have a second list, more classical and bulky that I called "Hit the Wall, Jack" (You get the idea...)

For the Runelords, the matter is that if I choose to pickaxe the warden king, I loose his Grudge for one turn, and that's a sad thing.

I'd like to add Endrinriggers, but I think i should start a Kharadron army in this way... :/

50 minutes ago, Dammaz said:

For the Runelords, the matter is that if I choose to pickaxe the warden king, I loose his Grudge for one turn, and that's a sad thing.

Since you’re also taking an Unforged, he’s a great option for the pickaxe but I think you can’t take two artefacts on one hero?  So, yes, a hard decision on that.

1 hour ago, Ragnar Alpaca said:

If you all haven’t seen the Warhammer Age of Sigmar Facebook page has a post in which we can tell them what needs to change for the General’s Handbook 2019, so basically go beg for them to buff the Dispossessed lol. 

I already asked that in the general AoS thread but i don't have facebook, could someone bring to light the Unforged/Grimwrath Berserker points cost dilemma? The Unforged need a point reduction! 

1 hour ago, Furuzzolo said:

I already asked that in the general AoS thread but i don't have facebook, could someone bring to light the Unforged/Grimwrath Berserker points cost dilemma? The Unforged need a point reduction! 

I don't know how to say this gently, but... I think the Unforged is intentionally being made unplayable.

How do you play Dispossessed in objective games? I'm looking over battleplans in the GHB and most seem like guaranteed loses. I know pickaxe is our bread and butter, but it still seems very limited. I usually play against skaven and the hoard and mortal wound spam is already pretty daunting, let alone trying to race to objectives.

3 hours ago, Absolution black said:

I finally figured out my old dwarfs to finish off a decent sized dispossessed army. Just need to fill up on iron breakers, irondrakes and Hammerers.

Wow, they are difficult to track new stock down,  especially the Hammerers.

Have GW stopped sending them to online retailers to sell?

What exactly is the problem you’re having? All the online stores I use still have them in stock. In in the US btw. 

On 11/14/2018 at 10:57 PM, Ironbreaker said:

How do you play Dispossessed in objective games? I'm looking over battleplans in the GHB and most seem like guaranteed loses. I know pickaxe is our bread and butter, but it still seems very limited. I usually play against skaven and the hoard and mortal wound spam is already pretty daunting, let alone trying to race to objectives.

I think some battleplans are much more challenging for Dispossessed to win. Age of Sigmar isn't that balanced to begin with and certain battleplans will hinder us further. Pickaxe is a crutch (a pretty good one) and without it Dispossessed would probably be underdogs in 90% of objective games. The game in general is only loosely balanced (it's not chess after all), but I still have competitive games ~50% of the time.

The way I play is to focus on just enough objectives I need to win, because Dispossessed don't have the mobility to respond well to the enemy mid-way through the battle. To help, I pickaxe a unit of 20 irondrakes that tries to A) snipe whatever my opponent needs to win and B) cap an objective I couldn't otherwise reach. I haven't played against Skaven yet, but it sounds tough. I would try to shoot their heroes / damage dealers, out-grind their infantry and hope to steal objectives late in the game by reducing their numbers. If you can't figure it out, just play someone different.

17 hours ago, Ragnar Alpaca said:

What exactly is the problem you’re having? All the online stores I use still have them in stock. In in the US btw. 

Finding the damn things without going direct to GW!  I am in the UK so you would think it wouldn't be an issue.

But on all the sites I usually go to there is not one single box of the Hammerers, and probably one maybe two boxes of ironbreakers if you are lucky.  I have no idea why there seems a shortage or maybe the online stores just don't put them online because they don't sell well, but they probably carry some in their brick and mortar stores?

1 hour ago, Absolution black said:

Finding the damn things without going direct to GW!  I am in the UK so you would think it wouldn't be an issue.

But on all the sites I usually go to there is not one single box of the Hammerers, and probably one maybe two boxes of ironbreakers if you are lucky.  I have no idea why there seems a shortage or maybe the online stores just don't put them online because they don't sell well, but they probably carry some in their brick and mortar stores?

Might just be a backlog with those retailers because they were ‘sold out’ awhile back due to repacking? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Absolution black said:

Hammerers and most of the Disspossessed line are 'direct only' (Webstore Exclusive in GW language) so most online stores wont list them.  Places that sell GW can order them in, you just wont get the same discount as its not the same account (or something like that I forget, my local place does 15-20% off normal lines but only 10% of Direct, which is actually good given you cant get them online anywhere anyway).

Ironbreakers are still normal line item so most places have them, darksphere, element etc.

NOTE:  Direct only is what GW does to manage stock levels on less popular items, so they generally drop off shelves in GW stores and off standard order lists for independents. Doesnt mean they are dead though, half the Kharadron line is direct only, as are many other items that would be classed as 'new/current'. 

Edited by stato

14 hours ago, Bolgan said:

I think some battleplans are much more challenging for Dispossessed to win. Age of Sigmar isn't that balanced to begin with and certain battleplans will hinder us further. Pickaxe is a crutch (a pretty good one) and without it Dispossessed would probably be underdogs in 90% of objective games. The game in general is only loosely balanced (it's not chess after all), but I still have competitive games ~50% of the time.

The way I play is to focus on just enough objectives I need to win, because Dispossessed don't have the mobility to respond well to the enemy mid-way through the battle. To help, I pickaxe a unit of 20 irondrakes that tries to A) snipe whatever my opponent needs to win and B) cap an objective I couldn't otherwise reach. I haven't played against Skaven yet, but it sounds tough. I would try to shoot their heroes / damage dealers, out-grind their infantry and hope to steal objectives late in the game by reducing their numbers. If you can't figure it out, just play someone different.

It's kinda hard to play someone different when we are just about the only players at the store.