AoS 2 - Dispossessed Discussion

Chris Tomlin

On 9/11/2018 at 4:35 PM, Seraphage said:

I think you could use of some more shooting @Furuzzolo, still looking forward to read a battlerep or 2 ! ?

Yeah, next week i have a game booked! Gonna take notes and post a report of the Gyrobombers list.

Edit: We've a small playgroup and the game-night moved to Sunday, so we'll have to wait a bit for any report.. 

Edited by Furuzzolo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Oath Stoned said:

Well with the made to order being released, i think im finally done collecting. I need a bolt thrower and a standard gyro copter but im not concerned.

Here is my to do list.... 

20180918_125853.jpg

So Jealous! Only needed the anvil! But just couldn't get myself to add to the unpainted pile! Good luck on the painting!

Here we go, so, that's a report from a 2000 points game involving not 1, not 2 but 3 Gyrobombers.  We played Starstrike (Cometstrike ? The one where in turn 2 and 3 comets come down and become objectives) and my list was:

Grudge that reroll 1 to hit vs 4+ armor saves (I'm very sorry but english isn't my first lenguage and i don?t know the right translation to abilities etc.)

Warden King -resilient-ancestral pickaxe

Runelord x3

30 Hammerers

20 Ironbreakers

20 Longbeards

10 Warriors (to allow 3 ally units and screen)

20 Irondrakes

3 Gyrobombers (divided in 3 units as the matched play rules want)

82210993_DEPLOYresize.jpg.66565b447047ccfe744e151a7154afc7.jpg

He had 3 units of chaos Knights, one big-15 man chosen units, 15 chaso warriors, 2 charriots, a chaos lord on manticore, a chaos lord on demonic mount, a sorcerer lord and a...slambo? Dunno about that one. I deployed very slowly (i mean placing single units or less relevant one to see his drop) trying to fool him to overdeploy on the right side but the 10 knights on the left scared me, he was very concerned about my Irondrakes.

Turn 1: I let him had the first turn, he could not charge me in any scenario, so he advanced in order to secure a turn2 charge, i tried to position the longbeards and ironbreakers to absorb the hit, on the right side i repositioned my warriors, hammerers and a poor Gyrocopter to absorb the hit and let the Hammerers countercharge.

Turn 2:

1526817482_Turno2resize.jpg.0d1cab7ab76c789e7759223d48403924.jpg

That's the beginning of turn 2, the comet struck on the left and i started to move the Gyrobombers in that direction, he was very unlucky with charges and only 5 knights reached my ironbreakers on the left, the five in the middle charged my longbeards but turn 2 ended there, he got control of the objective.

STD 2-0 Dispossessed

Turn 3: He got the double turn, charged the Daemon prince OVER my longbeards, engaging the Irondrakes  ( ? ), the chariot on the extreme left charged from behind (ending in 3" of the Irondrakes. Not a lucky shooting game), the Manticore and chaos warriors reached my warriors on the right side; the middle charriot was blocked by my BRAVE Gyrobomber, setting up a very good countercharge from my hammerers. I menaged to free the Irondrakes from the prince bombing mortal wound on him with the Gyrobombers but they was still engaged by the chariot.  The comets struck on the enemy left side and on my right side (under my hammerers).

STD 8-3 Dispossessed

Turn 4: The melee was hell, at this point!

Left: The Ironbreakers got the -1 rend from a Runelord and with the help of the Warden king command ability singlehandedly removed the 5 knights from the table and claimed the objective.

Middle: Longbeards stood theyr ground against 5 knights and 10 chosen (thay hit hard but the longbeards gave me the one turn i needed),  behind them the Irondrakes were engaged by the chariot, i decided to pickaxe them with the Warden King to setup a turn 5 steal on the enemy objective (was guarded only by the chaos lord on demonic mount, sheer number on the 9" charge could win me that).

Right: Oh boys. The hammerers ran on the enemy! -1 rend from the Runelord and they removed  the charriot and all the chaos warriors from the table, engaging the Chimaera.

STD 10- 11 Dispossessed

2006277091_Turno4resize.jpg.1bd05578ac0e8fa7b8352b595cd4532d.jpg

The end of turn 4.

Turn 5: He won the roll and tried to claim the Ironbreakers objective but failed, so he called it there.

Dispossessed Major victory!  (Yes, we did the Hammerers battle, they killed the beast ? )

I hope you enjoyed the report, even tho my english is pretty bad. That was a list to try the Gyrobombers and my impression is that being in 3 different units they're not worth it.  In a future where is possible to bring them in one unit maybe yes. 3 was way too many, i think 2 is the right number, the mobility thay have with the mortal wounds is pretty good and gave me a lot of options! One of them was used to screen hammerers, one to prevent a movement on the right from the chosen and one to be annoying  on the right...the ranged weapon is average, the 4+ to mortal wound spiky.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

When ive ran Gyrocopters ive tried to keep them just behind my front line, so when i get charged the copter is safe but in good range for its steam cannon. This limits their benefit though as very mobile units, so its not an ideal tactic.

Great report though, I did wonder about how survivable 30 Hammerers were, no shield wall leaves them at high risk if they are not charging.

1 hour ago, stato said:

I did wonder about how survivable 30 Hammerers were, no shield wall leaves them at high risk if they are not charging.

That's very true, I've lost them idiotly in a bounch of games, now i'm way more careful measuring distances and counting charge inches. They have the best offensive and reliable statline in the army, with a warden king and a runelord the math behind their attacks is brutal! I like them now more then in aos 1.0 cause of the reroll-charge command ability. You can pickaxe them in a reliable way, sort of, now.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Charlo said:

Lovely stuff, took the charge then hit back twice as hard - that's the Duradin way! Break upon your STEEL!

Hammerers are bloody brutal it seems.

They are indeed! Unfortunatly i think that our best "competitive" shot is a mass-warriors (2h+shield) and cheap shooters list plus Runelords, math-talking. 

Hammerers are great but the points/wounds is grim, you need to think about them buffed and not needing battleshock to see value in those little hammerguys.

If a tome ever comes out we need battalions to push forward ours elite units, right now we have nothing and base statsline, points/wounds and attacks math are what determine the best. (Even if i think that a Dispossesed player, right now, is more in the "cool" then the "competitive" side of the hobby)

• Like 1

Hammerers are one of the strongest units in game along with a runelord. The huge problem they got is that they are too fragile for their points. Anything shooty, with mw or just spam lots of attacks (even no rended ones) hurt them BIG way.

Other than that, I agree with @Furuzzolo, mass war + gunline is probably the best comp wise.

I am also using cannons as allies so that I can threat my opponent when he lets me go 1st *as I got lots of drops* and missing a whole turn would be something you can hardly recover  !

• Like 1

On 9/24/2018 at 6:00 PM, Furuzzolo said:

hope you enjoyed the report, even tho my english is pretty bad. 

One, thank you for your report. Great read. Second your English is perfectly fine, don’t worry. 

Its a shame you couldn’t do the pick axe charge at the end. Really cool move to get them there. 

Besides dropping the one bomber, and I assume the 100 warriors, what would you add to this list? 

2 hours ago, Kramer said:

Besides dropping the one bomber, and I assume the 100 warriors, what would you add to this list? 

I would change it in something like this:

King and 3 Runelord 

30 hammerers

30 ironbreakers

20 longbeards

20 irondrakes 

2 gyrobombers

I'm at 1920, dunno if i want a command points or a warriora screen. I think the command point. 

Next game i want to try an hammerers heavy list, so the Gyrobombers  test session is on hold, right now.

Hammerers list:

Warden king 

2 Runelord

Knight-incantor

30 hammerers

30 hammerers

20 longbeards

20 irondrakes 

(10 warriors?)

endless spell- Cogs 

Lets see...

14 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

What do you guys and girls think is better: The Gyrobomber oder the Gyrocopter?

I would say probably the gyrobomber, it has +1 wound, only 2” slower, and can use the Grudge bombs more. The only reason the gyrocopter would ever be better was for securing objectives or dealing with hordes. For this reason I think both are good and both have their uses, it really depends on what your army composition is, what army you’re playing against, and the scenario.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ragnar Alpaca said:

I would say probably the gyrobomber, it has +1 wound, only 2” slower, and can use the Grudge bombs more. The only reason the gyrocopter would ever be better was for securing objectives or dealing with hordes. For this reason I think both are good and both have their uses, it really depends on what your army composition is, what army you’re playing against, and the scenario.

I would say if gyrocoptor with steam gun unless you know that you will not face any units with 20+ models.  If facing 10-model units (like 'elite' armies like Ironjaws, the steam gun is only going to get you 5 hits, 2.5 wounds, then saves, so say 1.25 wounds vs. 4+ save, making the bombs slightly better at d3 mortal so 1.5 on average.   But against a 20-model unit,  steam gun gets you 5 wounds before saves (so 2.5 in the end vs 4+ save), and you can still do one round of bombs.  I find it difficult to get a bombing run off before the copter gets destroyed anyway, so making multiple bombing runs isn't really part of the equation for me, but that could just be my poor skill at getting those copters to fly over enemies. 

• Like 2