AoS 2 - Dispossessed Discussion

Chris Tomlin

2 hours ago, Ragnar Alpaca said:

Did you win the game?

Nope but i feel no fault in it. We played the new battleplan with the moving objective (i don't know the english name) and i controlled it in the first turn, then it moved for 3 turn in the nurgle army... I was very unlucky with it.

His army was the battalion with 2 guo and rotigus, 30 bearers, 3 plague drone and chaos warrior to fill; 7 spells plus Nurgle cicle on 6 every turn. 

My list was:

Warden King- spellmirror

Runelord x3

Steam tank

30 hammerers

30 ironbreaker

10 warriors

20 irondrakes

8 hours ago, Seraphage said:

@Furuzzolo How did the Ironbreakers work for ya ? They did pretty well for me tbh but I m seriously thinking of paying their price for many many warriors instead to hold the line while I m shooting the hell out of my opponent !

Not sure it will work, but worths a try I guess:P

Im very interestedin this as well. New to AoS, but after playing a lot of Total War i LOVE warriors. Ironbreakers are expensive toughness. Nice to have a unit that never dies, but at that price i want more damage. Again tho, this a just Total War expierience.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Seraphage said:

@Furuzzolo How did the Ironbreakers work for ya ? They did pretty well for me tbh but I m seriously thinking of paying their price for many many warriors instead to hold the line while I m shooting the hell out of my opponent !

Not sure it will work, but worths a try I guess:P

I did some math, one month ago and the difference between the same points of warriors and ironbreaker is not massive, defensive wise (the gap is at 0 rend and -1, tho).

Warriors are way more offensive; from a competitive point i think warriors are better, still bringing ironbreakers is not an huge error! I just like them... Same with the Steam Tank, i bring it to the table cause i love the model and i try to make it as effective as possible!

• Thanks 1

Anyone is using Mantic Games dwarfs as Dispossed? I mean, games workshop ones are beautiful, but building a whole army is going to be really expensive! It seems to me that Mantic dwarfs could be good at least for hammerers and ironbreakers, maybe not for longbeards.

55 minutes ago, Ferrus65 said:

Anyone is using Mantic Games dwarfs as Dispossed? I mean, games workshop ones are beautiful, but building a whole army is going to be really expensive! It seems to me that Mantic dwarfs could be good at least for hammerers and ironbreakers, maybe not for longbeards.

There’s absolutely no problem with this unless you plan to play at official GW tournaments or events. Also it’s true that Dispossessed are expensive but imo they look so good it’s worth the price. Especially for the more elite units like ironbreakers, hammerers, Irondrakes, and long beards. If I were to use replacement models for anything it would be for warriors and quarrellers/thunderers. But to each their own, you do what ever you want, I’ve seen pictures of some pretty good looking mantis dwarf armies.

So I'm planning on adding some Dispossessed to a Living City army I have planned and I noticed that the Dwarf Rangers from the rereleased LotR range suit the theme a lot better than the normal range (love the normal range but they don't exactly scream "sneaky ambusher'").

Does anyone here know the size comparisons of the models? I know LotR is in a different scale so if they're too different then I'll probably have to pass but it would be a shame given how great those models look.

5 hours ago, Yoshiya said:

size

I use some "2H hammer lotr dwarf" instead of regular Warriors and the lotr ones are thin and shorter then AoS dwarves! You can definitely tell the difference on the table, not in overall size but in the body structure...if that make sense.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Furuzzolo said:

I use some "2H hammer lotr dwarf" instead of regular Warriors and the lotr ones are thin and shorter then AoS dwarves! You can definitely tell the difference on the table, not in overall size but in the body structure...if that make sense.

Thanks for the response :)

I think I get what you mean. Sounds like they aren't so different that I can use them fine (contingent on my opponent agreeing of course).

In addition I was wondering what people thought about a good small contingent of Dispossessed. My goal for them is to act as a mini anvil supported by Glade Guard/Dryads, deepstriking Eternal Guard (objective/forest campers), and then some faster moving/harder hitting Stormcast and a Stormcast Ballista.

Unfortunately, due to points for everything else I'm looking at only 280pts of Dispossed without major changes to the rest of my list. For thematic purposes I want to take at least one hero and Im leaning toward the Runelord for the potential to make them tougher to remove as well as -2 rend when needed. That leaves 180pts for a battleline choice and right now I'm planning on 10 Warriors and 10 Longbeards. However I'm worried that having two small units would dilute the Runelords ability and ultimately be a poor decision.

My alternatives are to either go with 20 Warriors, using the spare 20pts either elsewhere or to swap the Runelord with a King, or to try and find 20pts from elsewhere to get 20 Longbeards and a Runelord.

Any advice would be much appreciated as I've never seen Dispossessed in action before.

Edited by Yoshiya

8 minutes ago, Furuzzolo said:

In a mixed force i would bring a Runelord and one big Dispossessed unit. The Runelord is our standout hero with his +2 dispell and BIG rune buff. Warriors can either be deadly or very resilient, Rune-buffed!

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like I was on the right track with the Runelord. I'll have a think more about what to do with the big unit. I realised I could drop one unit of Eternal Guard and Warriors as well as change a hero choice and have enough spare points to take the Longbeards up to 30 models. Kind of tempted to just from the point of increasing the Dispossed presence in the army (didn't realise they took up so few points ><).

On 8/29/2018 at 3:39 AM, Yoshiya said:

So I'm planning on adding some Dispossessed to a Living City army I have planned and I noticed that the Dwarf Rangers from the rereleased LotR range suit the theme a lot better than the normal range (love the normal range but they don't exactly scream "sneaky ambusher'").

Does anyone here know the size comparisons of the models? I know LotR is in a different scale so if they're too different then I'll probably have to pass but it would be a shame given how great those models look.

On 8/28/2018 at 10:58 AM, Ferrus65 said:

The LoTR models have  quite a different body shape (basically human shortened, rather than the stocky AoS style), and much smaller weapons and heads as they're true 25mm scale rather than 28mm heroic. They're nice models, but will look significantly different to standard GW dwarfs. 

Mantic dwarfs are one of their older plastic ranges, and again the scale is a bit 'off' - far smaller hands, and bandy legs. They work OK as a regiment on their own if you can live with lower detail, but they really don't work in a mixed unit.

I rather like the Avatars of War dwarf rangers:

img54b641ac9f106.jpg

They do some nice hammerers and thunderers too. I have quite a few AoW minis now, and they are nice quality, tho not quite up there with GW in amount of detailing (who is, frankly)

Norba miniatures have quite a few  new decent dwarf units that are really cheap if you can live with the lack of pose variety.

regimiento-de-barbaslargas.jpg

and similarly momminiaturas - the iron breaker knockoffs in particular are pretty cool (they're a bit flattered by this official NMM paint job), though be prepared for a fair bit of flash cleanup etc.All 3 companies fantasy line is very similar to GW heroic scale.

image.jpg

Atlantis miniatures are at the opposite end of the quality scale - awesome minis, but a rather eye watering price (£45 for 10!)

Dwarf_Store_CrossbowUnit_800x.jpg?v=1527

Edited by Arkhanist
fixing dwarf rangers link

I use avatars of war to make use of my extra bits from the ironbreaker box. I make the breakers GW, then the drakes with slayer bodies, and GW arms, heads, shoulders, and guns. 

I played them as reformed slayers before, and now just from Aqshy.

Mostly GW parts and I dont have to waste bits.

20180830_090641.jpg.7b945a31f1af91d083918e93072d3ef7.jpg20180830_090649.jpg.cd5fcf70d364218109afaeca8cdfd3a4.jpg

You could also use the hammer bodies but I like the idea of half naked dwarf flamethowers.

• Like 5

Hello guys!

I'm new to AOS and looking to start an army for this game. Because of a friend, I have 1000 points of dispossessed right now and I love the models, but before buying some more I wanted to ask, if this army is worth the time and effort or if I should pick another one more "new". 

It's mainly to play with friends, not looking for an ultimate army for winning tournaments, but I also don't want to be loosing everytime XD

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Kerbe said:

Hello guys!

I'm new to AOS and looking to start an army for this game. Because of a friend, I have 1000 points of dispossessed right now and I love the models, but before buying some more I wanted to ask, if this army is worth the time and effort or if I should pick another one more "new". 

It's mainly to play with friends, not looking for an ultimate army for winning tournaments, but I also don't want to be loosing everytime XD

Thanks!

Always play what you like the most. If you love Duardin, add Fyreslayers and Kharadron. You can also ally a Knight Incantor into your army for $8. So you have a wizard.

Our god Grungni is also missing. And a lot of ppl love Duardin. So there may be support for dispossessed eventually. Hopefully something new with the release of the new Gotrek novel.

2 hours ago, Kerbe said:

Hello guys!

Thanks!

Yeah Dispossessed aren’t that competitive, they’re not the worst faction for sure, but not the best. If you’re just playing casually with friends you will be fine. 

I'm considering (not committed to the idea yet) using my Mantic quarrellers when I get going on the Dispossessed project.  They won't be standing alongside the beautiful new Hammerers and Ironbreakers, they'll be standing alongside the differently beautiful old metal Hammerers and Ironbreakers.

3 hours ago, Kerbe said:

Hello guys!

Thanks!

This army is one of my favorite, and the most consistent. It is a good army with good ally options.

Need a monster? Bring a steam tank or airship.

Need speed? Bring stormcast cav or kharadron endriggers.

The highlight of the army is toughness, antimagic, reliable prayers, and good synergies for ranged and melee.

Weaknesses are speed, and mortal wounds suck against 1 wound elite models.

If you like the army, it plays well and is competitive in any local scene. For tournies, I do not know. I never play them.

Edited by Cerlin
  • Like 1

On 8/29/2018 at 6:37 PM, Arkhanist said:

The LoTR models have  quite a different body shape (basically human shortened, rather than the stocky AoS style), and much smaller weapons and heads as they're true 25mm scale rather than 28mm heroic. They're nice models, but will look significantly different to standard GW dwarfs. 

Mantic dwarfs are one of their older plastic ranges, and again the scale is a bit 'off' - far smaller hands, and bandy legs. They work OK as a regiment on their own if you can live with lower detail, but they really don't work in a mixed unit.

I rather like the Avatars of War dwarf rangers:

img54b641ac9f106.jpg

They do some nice hammerers and thunderers too. I have quite a few AoW minis now, and they are nice quality, tho not quite up there with GW in amount of detailing (who is, frankly)

Norba miniatures have quite a few  new decent dwarf units that are really cheap if you can live with the lack of pose variety.

regimiento-de-barbaslargas.jpg

and similarly momminiaturas - the iron breaker knockoffs in particular are pretty cool (they're a bit flattered by this official NMM paint job), though be prepared for a fair bit of flash cleanup etc.All 3 companies fantasy line is very similar to GW heroic scale.

image.jpg

Atlantis miniatures are at the opposite end of the quality scale - awesome minis, but a rather eye watering price (£45 for 10!)

Dwarf_Store_CrossbowUnit_800x.jpg?v=1527

Don't forget Scibor Miniatures, theyr dwarves are amazing:

dwar_silur_01.jpg.e020f7dfdf67dfb27c29a518e87fb44b.jpgdwarves_miners_12_miniatures_04.jpg.b7a5f906c99592106cbf5ae3cb7c9f58.jpg

• Like 1

The reason Id recommend buying at least a majority from GW is to remind them people like this army. From what they have rebased and reboxed, it looks very popular. Warriors, breakers/drakes, and hammers/longbeards have all been redone.

The GW boxes also have great extra bits.

And as we have seen with breyherds, eventually armies in the GHB may get sweet loving. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Cerlin said:

The reason Id recommend buying at least a majority from GW is to remind them people like this army. From what they have rebased and reboxed, it looks very popular. Warriors, breakers/drakes, and hammers/longbeards have all been redone.

The GW boxes also have great extra bits.

And as we have seen with breyherds, eventually armies in the GHB may get sweet loving. 

We can only hope. Pls GW if anyone sees this I desperately need Dispossessed battletome and some Calvary units. Please put some classic dwarfs on bears/rams/boars you will get all my moneys.

• Like 1

While I like classic dwarfs, I would actually go "really? ?" if they somehow announced a dispossessed update when they already introduced 2 new dwarf factions that also desperately need updates. Maybe after Fyreslayer and Kharadron 2.0 would they update dispossessed.

And also Chaos Dwarf update.

I don’t feel like helping out Dispossessed would cause KO or fyreslayers to not get more love. If anything I can see them easily in the future doing a duardin set of releases updating all 3 factions. I still think Dispossessed are in a worse position than KO atm and fyreslayers aren’t really that bad at all really.

• Like 1