AoS 2 - Dispossessed Discussion

Chris Tomlin

10 minutes ago, Ironbreaker said:

I think that if Dispossessed get an update, they need to change the name. Dispossessed is not really copyright friendly. They need something like "Scions of Grungni", "Khazalid Kingdoms", "Grudgebound Grumblers". 

Good point. I always get Ursula K Leguin results when i broad search. Good book though. How are they handling the Gloomspite rebranding? Cause those boxes were already age of Sigmar branded, but with another name right?

6 minutes ago, Hallgeir said:

Good point. I always get Ursula K Leguin results when i broad search. Good book though. How are they handling the Gloomspite rebranding? Cause those boxes were already age of Sigmar branded, but with another name right?

All the reboxed stuff right now have either the Moonclan or Spiderfang faction identifier on their box. This is fine though since those factions exist under Gloomspite. 

40 minutes ago, Ironbreaker said:

All the reboxed stuff right now have either the Moonclan or Spiderfang faction identifier on their box. This is fine though since those factions exist under Gloomspite. 

So to change Dispossessed, they'd need to create a superceding faction, like gloomspike, or deprecate Dispossessed, and re box.

Imo dispossessed would beed the following for a rework:

get rid of all the pseudo-Viking horns.

keep irondrakes, Ironbreakers, longbeards.

give very heavy armour to the musketeers.

add a special cannon

master of the deep ways: can teleport units to mining tunnels (see below)

warden King: can pick two artefacts

Runecaster: new support-mage-prayer hero

Duardin immortals: masked, glass cannon with aggressive armour design - more disciplined berserkers

add Stag/ Tauralon without wings cavalry dual kit: either in a defensive form (shield, hammers/axes) or offensive: less armour, grenates and helbards.

give us heavily armoured duardin helbards.

grant some kind of endless Spells which are unleashed by master runes: Rock Avalanche, a cauldron which pours molten metal and a flying XXX Beer.

Give them a mining tunnel as scenery

combine them with gyrocopters and cannons from the ironweld arsenal

centerpiece: no golem, that‘s boring. Give us some kind of new monster which dwarves use to guard treasure. Put in in heavy armour (also a steampunk bull/stag?)

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

Imo dispossessed would beed the following for a rework:

get rid of all the pseudo-Viking horns.

keep irondrakes, Ironbreakers, longbeards.

give very heavy armour to the musketeers.

add a special cannon

master of the deep ways: can teleport units to mining tunnels (see below)

warden King: can pick two artefacts

Runecaster: new support-mage-prayer hero

Duardin immortals: masked, glass cannon with aggressive armour design - more disciplined berserkers

add Stag/ Tauralon without wings cavalry dual kit: either in a defensive form (shield, hammers/axes) or offensive: less armour, grenates and helbards.

give us heavily armoured duardin helbards.

grant some kind of endless Spells which are unleashed by master runes: Rock Avalanche, a cauldron which pours molten metal and a flying XXX Beer.

Give them a mining tunnel as scenery

combine them with gyrocopters and cannons from the ironweld arsenal

centerpiece: no golem, that‘s boring. Give us some kind of new monster which dwarves use to guard treasure. Put in in heavy armour (also a steampunk bull/stag?)

I don’t think they will get rid of any of the current kits. The warriors and thunderers/quarrellers kits are a little dated but I think they look pretty good still. Certainly better than some other factions and models. 

I do agree however I think we need a new hero like a rune priest of some sort. 

I think we all agree we need some sort of cavalry unit

for a terrain piece I’ve envisioned we might get a mini cogfort or just a standard gun emplacement that might give some sort of buff and have a free cannon/organ gun shot each turn.

Also Endless Runes really need to happen. 

I don’t know what I want for a centerpiece model. Definitely no steampunk stuff though imo, don’t want to be like the KO. I would be ok with a stone golem or some dragon or large beast though. 

• Like 3

This is kinda a very undwarfy idea, but what about a giant cave horror dragged from from the deep, like a giant cave centipede or something? (The Duardin delved too greedily and too deep...) Grots already seem already own the cave creatures motif though. I'm just spit balling ideas that are not just golems or Anvils of Doom. For cavalry, how about a choice between hard hitting goat/ram cavalry or "teleporting" giant mole cavalry?

6 minutes ago, Ironbreaker said:

This is kinda a very undwarfy idea, but what about a giant cave horror dragged from from the deep, like a giant cave centipede or something? (The Duardin delved too greedily and too deep...) Grots already seem already own the cave creatures motif though. I'm just spit balling ideas that are not just golems or Anvils of Doom. For cavalry, how about a choice between hard hitting goat/ram cavalry or "teleporting" giant mole cavalry?

Idk it has to fit the whole classic dwarf theme while still being unique, digging too deep is a little taken. 

Also I thought I wanted Ram or Goat Cav, but my god please giant mole cav. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ironbreaker said:

For some reason your idea reminds me heavily on the hobbit aspect of the dwarfs

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ironbreaker said:

Reading your comment I was thinking about a Gate-Guardian a la lord of the Rings but less water-depend

The things i like the most are:

-terrain modification on the fly to impair movement

-"gravesite" representing mine in&out to move on the map

-rune lore

-reworked command abilities for Unforged (offensive) and Warden king (defensive)

-Named hero

-goat-bear-mechanical cavalry 

-machinery centerpiece model or runes related centerpiece (like the old anvil)

I'd love a more rune centric, tradition, gods lore. Dispossessed should have few tricks, we don't like tricks, we like to fight a fair battle with steel, weapon and f*****g shields! We should have flexibility on the battlefield, our units should feel like a brickwall, able to hold whatever come to them.

----

Scratch all of that, i only want the @Ragnar Alpaca mole cavalry! Ahah

Edited by Furuzzolo
Mole cavalry

I'd like to add my 2 cents on the topic :

No Endless spell, as we can't stand "magic and trickery", but instead maybe some kind of scenery, just like BoC.

We could have some kind of gigantic rune, or anvil, or whatever-dwarvish scenery with anti-magic effect : +1 to dispell to runelord in the area, -2 casting for opponent, giving the capacity to dispell endless spells for runelords...

• Thanks 1

Reading all your amazing ideas for a new Dispossessed battletome is great !
Though some things are not "crazy" enough to go with the general direction that Age of Sigmar is going for. For exemple, goat cavalry sounds too much like The Hobbit and classic dwarven designs.

Some mentioned scenery scenes, which sound amazing. It could for exemple help counter some of the Dispossessed weaknesses. A mining/underground scenery which allows a teleport per turn would help compensate our inherent lack of mobility. A giant anvil that helps dispel magic would counter magic-heavy armies.

However, I think that it would be best to leave Dispossessed with these weaknesses, and reinforce our strenghs, thus defining a unique gameplay. What if, for exemple, a unique piece of scenery would be something that forces the enemy to leave their position and come to us ?

Something, like, I don't know...  A huge cannon on top of a fortress ? That sounds thematic, crazy AND fun. It could have an area of effect, a very powerful attack, but a minimum attack range. Go under the cannon's sight and you are safe. Thus, the enemy is highly encouraged to rush the strong dwarven defensive lines.

Writing about this reminds me of the (great but now dead) game BattleForge. There were some very Duardin-like fortresses, such as the Worldbreaker Gun, which would fit the bill for Dispossessed I think -> latest?cb=20090714124844

Or the nameless Fortress, which would be a less crazy and point-heavy investment, for smaller point games -> latest?cb=20111231065258

Maybe a redesign of the Warriors to make them less vikings and more Duardin. A new type of miners/engineers with a token ranged attack and some utility for other troops ? Or a capacity to "summon" a tower/bunker or other defensive structures on the fly ? Some new buildings and building-oriented units are what would really show Dispossessed as expert craftsmen, imho. 

• Like 4

Got to watch it with the artillery and guns lines in aos. It either wins turn one or it costs you the battle. There is a great thread topic on balancing ranged combat in aos and it had me convinced that it must be employed subtly or bad things happen. See the wanderers and ko factions. Plus turn one charges leave it a bit flat. Mobility and shear number of dice are winning now. Thus, moles, haste runes, slow runes, and anchor units are what we need to ensure we get. Anchors we have, but a non machine behemoth would be great, like a rune golem or cave beastie. Something that can tie up the initial charge, soak the alpha strike, and allow us to trodge our little legs onto the objectives before we miss out on early turn victory points. Fluff we have due to a long history, we must pay some mind to crunch as well.

The best thing in the world (my world) right now, is to read about how many pepole actually think that we will someday get some love and a battletome , and then we can finaly rise from the shadows and claim what once was ours! 

Hail Grungni

and long live Dispossessed!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Montogon said:

The best thing in the world (my world) right now, is to read about how many pepole actually think that we will someday get some love and a battletome , and then we can finaly rise from the shadows and claim what once was ours! 

Hail Grungni

I think we’ll be put into a free cities tome, but as dwarf can dream. 

8 hours ago, Montogon said:

Hail Grungni

Yes-yes,

greenthings, have take-stolen posterthings place.

now only the beard-things, want-need a battletome, to protect-die when the skaven finally rise.

fear the danger beneath.

(no beard-things means no fun when we  will kill-enslave things)

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • Like 2

I don't neceessarily like the idea of a Command Ability on the Unforged, just bc he's not really a leader/commander type of hero. But I do agree I wish we had more than one CA. Grudgekeeper was actually an idea I've been toying with for a while now as a new hero, giving Dispossessed a thematic way of gaining something they sorely lack: mortal wound output.

Pic related is my test profile I'm going to try out with a friend eventually.

grudgekeeper.jpg