AoS 2 - Dispossessed Discussion

Chris Tomlin

49 minutes ago, Thiagoma said:

Wut?

I belive that only the Spire of Dawn models are going away.

I have a similar feeling, since it was exactly what happened to the skaven.

and the 75% of old skaven models made out of resin,  metal and some of them which look not really like real rat man, well funnily and thankfully stayed.

So I guess the possibility of seeing everything that well is and was on the website might stay, although anything is possibly and I wouldn’t start buying into any old world order armies right now, especially in models like dwarf warriors Swordmaster and other very old stuff.

its better to just wait a bit and see.

ps: also for those units that might get discontinued, just use them as something else. Swordmaster are a perfect unit to play as executioners or aelvish greatswordsman (free people)

same goes for dwarf warriors, no reason not to use them as longbeards, if they get discontinued, after-all they are basically the same, with the exception of being equipped with lighter kind of Armour, and long earns being like veterans of war, meaning older.

13 hours ago, King Belegar said:

I imagine the reference to some old miniatures being discontinued applies mostly to the old elves, though I wouldn't be surprised if we lost the Unforged and our Quarrellers/Thunderers.

I can't imagine us losing the Unforged, the model is still really good and the Warden King and Runelord both still have plastic square base designs with their mini's too but we're not losing them.

Curiously something I noticed while I was at Warhammer World yesterday - I was looking in the store and found the thunderers boxes but they were not in the old style fantasy red warhammer boxes, they were in the mail order sort of boxes. While other old fantasy stuff nearby was in the red warhammer boxes. Maybe this means they are going through a potential reboxing?

Those plastic kits with 16 minis in them?  The duardin warriors, the glade guard etc?  They come in sprues of 4 don’t they?

I swear, while they are dated, they’re still usable.  If they just crammed in an extra sprue and sold them as boxes of 20 they’d be good to go.  Then they could replace them or keep them.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Arkanaut Admiral said:

Those plastic kits with 16 minis in them?  The duardin warriors, the glade guard etc?  They come in sprues of 4 don’t they?

I swear, while they are dated, they’re still usable.  If they just crammed in an extra sprue and sold them as boxes of 20 they’d be good to go.  Then they could replace them or keep them.

I don't remember what the big fantasy dwarf box was called but you got a set of 20 warriors and 20 thunderers and quarellers alongside a runelord, 2 canons and 10 longbeards/ hammerers. So they might do it. 

20 minutes ago, Zadolix said:

I can't imagine us losing the Unforged, the model is still really good and the Warden King and Runelord both still have plastic square base designs with their mini's too but we're not losing them.

Curiously something I noticed while I was at Warhammer World yesterday - I was looking in the store and found the thunderers boxes but they were not in the old style fantasy red warhammer boxes, they were in the mail order sort of boxes. While other old fantasy stuff nearby was in the red warhammer boxes. Maybe this means they are going through a potential reboxing?

15 minutes ago, Arkanaut Admiral said:

The Unforged is fab, yeah, but I worry since the Fyreslayers came out that it might be a but redundant, especially lore-wise. But fingers crossed.

That box change is a great spot. And I don't have any boxes to hand unfortunately, but I think you might be right in thinking they come on sprues of 4. I really hope they're planning to rebox them and keep them, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up. My other thought is that they might be moving them to the naff boxes because they're planning to axe them and they're just doing a final run, but that doesn't make as much sense. Interesting that their boxes changed and none of the others, though. Am I right in thinking they're the only ones of our minis left that still use the old box art?

1 hour ago, King Belegar said:

The Unforged is fab, yeah, but I worry since the Fyreslayers came out that it might be a but redundant, especially lore-wise. But fingers crossed.

That box change is a great spot. And I don't have any boxes to hand unfortunately, but I think you might be right in thinking they come on sprues of 4. I really hope they're planning to rebox them and keep them, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up. My other thought is that they might be moving them to the naff boxes because they're planning to axe them and they're just doing a final run, but that doesn't make as much sense. Interesting that their boxes changed and none of the others, though. Am I right in thinking they're the only ones of our minis left that still use the old box art?

I think the Unforged will stick around, lore wise he's still quite different as he's basically had his mind broken by chaos where as the fyreslayers just want ur-gold right?

Yes I can confirm they do come on sprues of 4 as I have the sprues in my bitz box. So they could easily do 5 x 4 sprues for 20 warriors / quarrellers / thunderers. Warriors seem to be set at 16 though even though they've been reboxed which is odd, I think currently you get 4 x sprues of 4 warriors + 1 sprue of bits/accessories like banners etc.

The warriors in warhammer world were in their reboxed version of the box, the thunderers/quarrellers were in mail order boxes, the runelord / warden king / unforged were still in their old fantasy blister packs. I think it's just the thunderers/quarrellers and the ironweld arsenal that still have old art.

Also another tidbit of encouraging news, Sam Pearson the guy behind the Cities of Sigmar book at GW said that all the warscrolls have been reviewed and updated to bring them in line with AoS 2.0 standard. That bodes as good news for us.

• Thanks 2

That sounds promising! :D

And I’ve always seen the unforged as a sort of dwarfish version of a flagellant.  They should probably try to keep pushing that angle to distinguish them from fireslayers.

And I honestly wouldn’t understand why they wouldn’t sell them as boxes of 20.  It would solve a lot of issues.

27 minutes ago, Zadolix said:

Also another tidbit of encouraging news, Sam Pearson the guy behind the Cities of Sigmar book at GW said that all the warscrolls have been reviewed and updated to bring them in line with AoS 2.0 standard. That bodes as good news for us.

I wonder if that means the era of Great Weapons and Shields for our plucky warriors is over?

14 minutes ago, King Belegar said:

I wonder if that means the era of Great Weapons and Shields for our plucky warriors is over?

Maybe! He did say he cleaned up a lot of things that to him felt like inconsistencies. To quote from the Cities of Sigmar thread here on TGA one user spoke to Sam Pearson on the open day:

"He said that he'd reviewed all the relevent warscrolls and had had to do a fair bit of tidying up with some of them to make them more realistic. The example he gave was of a model which carried 2 weapons but warscroll had them using 3 in the same phase/turn."

7 minutes ago, Zadolix said:

Maybe! He did say he cleaned up a lot of things that to him felt like inconsistencies. To quote from the Cities of Sigmar thread here on TGA one user spoke to Sam Pearson on the open day:

"He said that he'd reviewed all the relevent warscrolls and had had to do a fair bit of tidying up with some of them to make them more realistic. The example he gave was of a model which carried 2 weapons but warscroll had them using 3 in the same phase/turn."

Hmm, I might have to try and find which warscroll he was referring to, now. 😂

Good to hear they're bringing us up to scratch with the rest of AoS!

50 minutes ago, King Belegar said:

It would at least make sence, because there was basicly no reason to take a Duardin Axe instead of a Double Handed Duardin Axe. After there was no real restriction what weapon could be combined with a shield.

10 minutes ago, Arkanaut Admiral said:

I would be incredibly surprised if it wasn’t.  Come on let’s face it, it was a bit of an oversight.  A sort of hold over from fantasy that doesn’t quite work in AoS.

I kinda hope so. I held off on that conversion because I was sure they would fix it eventually.

On 7/20/2019 at 11:25 PM, Ironbreaker said:

I don’t want to cover of my army book to be humans and Stormcast 

Even if the content lets you play the exact army you want with full support in rules and abilities,? What if dwarfs get back cannons and new units and a new runelaw and other stuff? Would you pay a price of a front cover then? 

Is the situation perfect? No. Do GW mess things up sometimes? A big yes. But and this is crucial, I think GW should get to release more than a front cover before the sowing of this much salt starts. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Laststand said:

Even if the content lets you play the exact army you want with full support in rules and abilities,? What if dwarfs get back cannons and new units and a new runelaw and other stuff? Would you pay a price of a front cover then? 

Is the situation perfect? No. Do GW mess things up sometimes? A big yes. But and this is crucial, I think GW should get to release more than a front cover before the sowing of this much salt starts. 

I also think that GW is not abandon the Keywords, and that is important. Take legions of Nagash and Nighthaunt for example. The fact that GW is (for now) providing us a way to play with our miniatures, doesnt mean they wont suport those keywords in the future.

There is a lot of speculation about Wanderers lately. If they get new models, Wanderers player will have the options of playing CoS or Wanderers alligeance.

Same can happen with Dispossessed and the elves.

I had a game against Hedonites of Slaanesh the other day against my friend. We played places of arcane power from GHB19 which was really fun (3 objectives that can only be held by heroes with a few caveats. I took the following:

Allegiance: Dispossessed

Grudge: Speed Merchants
Warden King (100)
- General
- Trait: Resolute 
- Artefact: Heavy Metal Ingot 
Runelord (80)
Unforged (80)
10 x Ironbreakers (140)
10 x Ironbreakers (140)
10 x Warriors (90)
- Axes or Hammers & Shields
10 x Longbeards (100)
- Axes or Hammers
20 x Thunderers (240)

Total: 970 / 1000

TURN 1

He took a couple of units of Daemonettes, some fiends, a big unit of seekers cavalry, a chaos spawn and a masque and an enrapturess. I got the first turn and went digging with the thunderers and warden king, put ancestral shield on my ironbreakers. The rest of my force blew their horns and banged the drums and advanced. His first turn he rolled crazy good on his seekers and got off a turn 1 charge on my warriors, killing them to a just the veteran left. He charged within 3" of my Ironbreakers and Runelord though so I piled in and killed 3. My last warrior failed battleshock and ran. His masque captured the central objective.

TURN 2

I got the turn. Runelord continued with the ancestral shield on the engaged Ironbreakers while the longbeards started grumbling that daemonettes were less sexy these days. The Runelord piled in and captured an objective. I advanced up the centre with my other ironbreakers, longbeards and Unforged. My Thunderers shot at the masque but after armour saves and the 4+ feel no pain I only got 3 wounds through (that 4+ feel no pain is absurdly powerful). Charged with the ironbreakers and longbeards and unforged into his daemonettes. Ironbreakers reduced one daemonette unit to 4 models, the Unforged killed 8 (yes 8!) daemonettes on his own with his double damage, reroll 1s to hit and reroll 1s to wound from the longbeards. Longbeards took some heavy casualties but finished off a unit of daemonettes. My other ironbreaker unit lost a dwarf but kill some more seekers. Battleshock comes and the daemonettes reduced to 4 run away. His seekers restore D3 models in battleshock....bah!

In his turn he is still holding the central objective at this point. His turn he heals his masque all 3 wounds (bah!). His fiends charge into my thunderers and warden king. He summons more daemonettes and charges my central ironbreakers with those and a chaos spawn. His masque engages my unforged and remaining longbeards. He uses his locus to make my unforged fight last. His enrapturess shoots my Runelord doing 3 wounds (hitting on 2+ with -3 AP wtf). Combat phase my ironbreakers against the seekers take more casualties. In the centre my Ironbreakers wound his chaos spawn and kill more daemonettes. His masque kills off my Unforged but I fail to get off the D6 mortal wound epic deathblow 😢😭 (seriously it should be auto not a 4+ roll). The Thunderers take some casualties but stand firm, they and the warden king kill a fiend. Battleshocks are passed by his units and nothing occurs.

TURN 3

I get the turn again. I ancestral grudge the fiends and put rend on the Ironbreakers in the centre, the last longbeard grumbles more giving out rerolls 1s to wound. The Thunderers shoot point blank at the fiends killing another and wounding the last one heavily. In the combat phase the seekers manage to kill off the Runelord and Ironbreakers, at least I got them down to handful. My Ironbreakers kill the  delete the daemonette unit in the middle (again!). The Warden King and thunderers kill the last fiend, Thunderers are only down to about 8 at this point. The masque kills off my longbeards.

His turn he moves his seekers up. The chaos spawn finally dies to the ironbreakers. He's sitting pretty holding 2 objectives now though.

TURN 4

He gets the turn and charges my ironbreakers with the seekers, they hold firm. He gets more points.

My turn I move up my thunderers and warden king, do abit of shooting and put a couple of wounds on the masque. Try to go for box cars charges but it doesn't happen.

TURN 5

I charge the Masque with the Warden King to try and kill her at least for a little moral victory. He does a couple of wounds only because of a crappy damage roll. He wounds my King with the masque and then in his turn finishes him off. We decide to call it as he's sitting on something like 10 points to my 3.

CONCLUSION

Overall it was a good game, I think I made a tactical error in using my pickaxe to attack him from behind where I should have just taken the king and 10 warriors to go capture an objective that we both ignored on one side of the board, we ended up fighting over 2 objectives. If I did that my Thunderers could have supported the middle and my ironbreakers and longbeards better. I felt I could have pulled off a victory if I'd done that but hey live and learn! I managed to stand toe to toe though with Slaanesh and felt quite proud of killing 30 daemonettes, a unit of fiends and almost killing a unit of replenished seekers.

Slaanesh felt stupid powerful though. Extra free hits on each roll of 6, double attacks on seekers just for killing a model, masque being able to replenish wounds and 4+ FNP, summoning daemons from depravity points, lots of -1 rend, locuses, advancing and charging almost everywhere with high movement. Pretty muich all of their abilities of no conditions or clauses or trade offs at all, they can do XYZ or get X bonus just because. I really hope we see some powerful rules like these to our warscrolls in cities of sigmar

Make shield wall on at all times regardless of advancing or charging. Give the Unforged a feel no pain save and make his epic deathblow automatic. Give the Runelord some rune prayers that debuff or affect enemies. Give the Warden King Gromril armour so that he at least ignores rend, he is less durable than Ironbreakers which makes no sense.

Edited by Zadolix
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, King Belegar said:

A valiant effort! 😃

What did you think about the effectiveness of fielding 20 thunderers? I'm thinking of doing the same but wasn't sure how well they'd perform on the table.

I tried this and their results are quite disappointing drim my personal experience 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, King Belegar said:

A valiant effort! 😃

What did you think about the effectiveness of fielding 20 thunderers? I'm thinking of doing the same but wasn't sure how well they'd perform on the table.

They are my MVP normally. I keep them behind my Ironbreakers and warriors normally and just let them go to town.

When the army synergy is working (rerolls 1s from grudge, +1 to hit from 20 model count, +1 to wound from ancestral grudge, +1 rend) they do a good job. Hit on 3+, wound on 2+, -2 rend.

Even when they get charged they tend to hold out or do serious damage to what has charged them when they shoot that unit in the next shooting phase. Always put shield wall on. Also the champion with the brace of pistols is great, I always go for pistol on the champ.

• Like 1

Seems like I´m in good Company here.

I found my old Dwarves. They are unpainted metal from 1985 - 1993/94 and I thought "Well I might just give them a spin".

A buddy of mine was happy to give me my first game AoS (I play 40k and played fantasy from 1990 - until AoS 1.0).

He brought a TAAC list with nighhhaunt and by turn 3 I was losing massively in points.

But I learned alot and really unsure if I should keep the old grumbers or ebay them.

Are we sure the disposessed are in the "Cities of Sigmar" Tome?

They can be used as part of the old Firestorm allegiances. I would assume they are available in at least some of the new ones as well. The names mentioned in the preview were previously all in Firestorm.

For those who don't know what i mean.
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Age_of_Sigmar/Tactics/Order

To quote the preview:

Locations like Hammerhal, The Living City, Tempest’s Eye, the Greywater Fastness, Hallowheart, Anvilgard and The Phoenicium are now beloved parts of the setting, and at long last, they have a battletome of their own!

No fewer than seven sets of allegiance abilities allow you to field mixed forces of duardin, humans and aelves, with a massive roster of units available.

I ordered a cannon recently and was surprised to find round bases in the box and casted in the darker  (better) plastic. Idk how long they've been casting this old set in the new plastic but I'm fairly sure hasn't had round bases included yet. Included the old instructions and white mail order box.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1