AoS 2 - Dispossessed Discussion

Chris Tomlin

2 hours ago, Televiper11 said:

Warden King, Runelord, 10x Hammerers, 30x Ironbreakers, plus a Steam Tank.

Theta a very good start. Add some hammerers though because they are amazing 😍

.I think the steam tank won’t be much of an issue if you discuss with your opponent. But you can only take each warscroll twice. So you can’t split the ironbreakers up in more than three parts. But that allows you to take one of 20 one of 10.  That would be a really fun meeting engagement list. If you want some advice on replacing the steam tank if it’s an option I would probably suggest 10 irondrakes and a gyrocopter/gyrobomber. Some shooting and some speed :) 

have fun! Was everything already painted btw? 

Just now, Kramer said:

Theta a very good start. Add some hammerers though because they are amazing 😍

.I think the steam tank won’t be much of an issue if you discuss with your opponent. But you can only take each warscroll twice. So you can’t split the ironbreakers up in more than three parts. But that allows you to take one of 20 one of 10.  That would be a really fun meeting engagement list. If you want some advice on replacing the steam tank if it’s an option I would probably suggest 10 irondrakes and a gyrocopter/gyrobomber. Some shooting and some speed :) 

have fun! Was everything already painted btw? 

I did buy pre-painted off eBay. With a toddler at home, I just don't have time to build & paint at all. I started a Seraphon army nine months ago that is still only 1/3 painted. 

I'm def looking into acquiring some Irondrakes as I like a balance of tanky infantry plus shooting and am used to it as an LoA player.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Breaks-the-iron Mont said:

Guys, i have a question regarding ironbreakers shield wall. It says we can choose to activate on our turn. Does that mean if my opponent goes first and alpha strikes, I can't reroll hits turn 1??

The way I understand it it's always an option since you haven't run or charge yet in that scenario 

3 hours ago, Breaks-the-iron Mont said:

Guys, i have a question regarding ironbreakers shield wall. It says we can choose to activate on our turn. Does that mean if my opponent goes first and alpha strikes, I can't reroll hits turn 1??

Nop,sorry but you must activate it in your turn.

As you hadnt activated it you havent it in the first turn of your rival.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Televiper11 said:

Just picked up 1K of Dispossessed and am excited to play some ME with them.

Literally just got back home with 2 skull pass boxes worth of dorfs, for playing meeting engagements with.

My group's pretty lenient with counts as, so I can run these little dorks as ironbreakers/drakes, and the miners as longbeards.

Would people recommend going for the newer, more expensive models in a full Dispossesed list, or running the older fellas in GA Order with a cannon or two?

10 hours ago, soak314 said:

Literally just got back home with 2 skull pass boxes worth of dorfs, for playing meeting engagements with.

My group's pretty lenient with counts as, so I can run these little dorks as ironbreakers/drakes, and the miners as longbeards.

Would people recommend going for the newer, more expensive models in a full Dispossesed list, or running the older fellas in GA Order with a cannon or two?

I do both, it's super fun. and I do recommend getting the newer, more expensive models if only because they are gorgeous models and look so cool painted up.

17 hours ago, prochuvi said:

this is absolute ****** 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, prochuvi said:

This is correct as far as I have seen/played as well as ruled by TOs in any tournament I've been to. The part of the shield wall rule that determiens this is "This unit can create a shield wall instead of running or charging in its turn." The important part of the rule is the "in its turn" since it is not the turn of the unit with the shield wall it cannot activate it. If you want to run it in your local group that you  can activate in on your opponents turn then be my guest but in a competitive match you will not be allowed to do this.

• Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, Clise said:

This is correct as far as I have seen/played as well as ruled by TOs in any tournament I've been to. The part of the shield wall rule that determiens this is "This unit can create a shield wall instead of running or charging in its turn." The important part of the rule is the "in its turn" since it is not the turn of the unit with the shield wall it cannot activate it. If you want to run it in your local group that you  can activate in on your opponents turn then be my guest but in a competitive match you will not be allowed to do this.

I'll have to be more careful. Thankfully it lasts until your next movement phase so if you do it, it stays through your opponent's turn

Anyone try the boatman endless spell with an allied wizard (modeled as a dwarf obviously)? I'm thinking about using the old pony driven mining cart with some miners around it as a proxy.

edit: Also thinking about the stormcast comet to give us some area denial. Anyone tried it?

Edited by Verminlord
  • Like 2

Had a couple of ME games with my new dorfs and hoo that did not go well. I'm used to running squigs and their fairly considerable board coverage, so the 4 inches on the duardin is really doing in my standard mindset.

First game was making use of what was in the skull pass x2 + a cannon and a runelord, and woof that was an utter stomp. Fella was using Idoneth and running circles around me, basically. Terrible screening on my part made sure no shooting happened.

Second game was doing counts as with Ironbreakers and Irondrakes, and went sorta better for all of two rounds then just fell apart again. It's hard for the dwarves to deal with the deadly Idoneth turn 3, usually with my grots I just reposition and deny him half that turn, but for something with stumpier legs that can't fly, that's a biiit harder to do. At least I got my smash boss Unforged some time in the sun, he gibbed an allopex then ran over and deathblowd' an Akhelian King off the board before finally going down, bloody glorious.

Also I forgot the double attacks on a fresh stack of 10 drakes. Learning pains!

Anyone else had a swing at ME yet? I can feel that I'm using these guys wrong, that they can do sooo much better.

11 hours ago, soak314 said:

Had a couple of ME games with my new dorfs and hoo that did not go well. I'm used to running squigs and their fairly considerable board coverage, so the 4 inches on the duardin is really doing in my standard mindset.

First game was making use of what was in the skull pass x2 + a cannon and a runelord, and woof that was an utter stomp. Fella was using Idoneth and running circles around me, basically. Terrible screening on my part made sure no shooting happened.

Second game was doing counts as with Ironbreakers and Irondrakes, and went sorta better for all of two rounds then just fell apart again. It's hard for the dwarves to deal with the deadly Idoneth turn 3, usually with my grots I just reposition and deny him half that turn, but for something with stumpier legs that can't fly, that's a biiit harder to do. At least I got my smash boss Unforged some time in the sun, he gibbed an allopex then ran over and deathblowd' an Akhelian King off the board before finally going down, bloody glorious.

Also I forgot the double attacks on a fresh stack of 10 drakes. Learning pains!

Anyone else had a swing at ME yet? I can feel that I'm using these guys wrong, that they can do sooo much better.

Screening is super important as you've discovered. I think the main thing is to make use of your musicians early on and don't be afraid to run your army. Also the Ancestral Pickaxe is like, 90 percent mandatory

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Arkanaut Admiral said:

Does anyone else feel like it’s a case of bad design when a single item is nearly 100% essential to even stand a chance?

I am of course talking about the Ancestral Pickaxe.

Yes. I'd really like the ability to take more then 1 item as well.

I feel it's mostly outdated stuff. I pray for when we eventually get a Tome that updates us and gives us more balanced and varied options

• Like 1

My second favorite item is Piledriver Gauntlets if I am playing a more defensive game. -1 to hit can be pretty good against some armies. Park the Warden King, or maybe even Runelord since he wants to be out of combat if he can help it, behind your front lines and pound the earth behind them.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, soak314 said:

Is it possible to ally Miners in to a Dispossessed list or am I going to have to go GA order to use em?

In theory you need to be GA: Order but outside of a tournament it's unlikely anybody will say no to you allying them in  - the AoS community honestly isn't that bad. 

Edited by MrZakalwe

19 hours ago, Bladedwind said:

Yes. I'd really like the ability to take more then 1 item as well.

I feel it's mostly outdated stuff. I pray for when we eventually get a Tome that updates us and gives us more balanced and varied options

Absolutely.  I think I have a better, more “up to date” solution; a third alligence ability called “underground advance”, which allows up to half of a dispossessed army to be held in reserve and deployed using the ancestral pickaxe ability.  The pickaxe itself could be updated to a full blown deep strike ability.  Or ditched. XD

I think this would be fair as the dwarfs are still fairly slow.

Had a Meeting Engagement game vs FeC! Nothing too tryhard, mostly just a learning game.

Ran GA Order with a couple of cannons and gunmasters, and some deepstriking miners. My main punch was 20 warriors and 10 irondrakes backed up by an unforged with sword of judgement/legendary fighter.

Aaaand the FeC spearhead by itslef (Vhargulf + 3x flayers) proceeded to wipe out about 800 points worth of duardin. Provided the wave 2 archregent kept the flayers topped up with an insane amount of attacks, and the Vhargulf itself was casting the Ghoul King black hunger spell to give em even more attacks. While also butchering 5 dwarves a swing and bringing the flayers back to full strength *every bloody turn*. Getting constantly lucky on CP gen also let the FeC attack twice with either unit once they hit my bodies.

The FeC were running blisterskin, and we were on fat deployment, so I may as well have started the game with them 6 inches away from my face. The blisterskin have an artefact that gave the entire spearhead a -1 to hit from ranged attacks. That paired with some truly dismal rolling pretty much invalidated my one full strength irondrake volley.

The cannons and the gunmasters killed a bunch of ghouls before being swamped by the 20+ they couldn't get to,  and it was overall a very sad time for the dwarfs who played the role of FeC uber eats for that evening.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, soak314 said:

Had a Meeting Engagement game vs FeC! Nothing too tryhard, mostly just a learning game.

Ran GA Order with a couple of cannons and gunmasters, and some deepstriking miners. My main punch was 20 warriors and 10 irondrakes backed up by an unforged with sword of judgement/legendary fighter.

Aaaand the FeC spearhead by itslef (Vhargulf + 3x flayers) proceeded to wipe out about 800 points worth of duardin. Provided the wave 2 archregent kept the flayers topped up with an insane amount of attacks, and the Vhargulf itself was casting the Ghoul King black hunger spell to give em even more attacks. While also butchering 5 dwarves a swing and bringing the flayers back to full strength *every bloody turn*. Getting constantly lucky on CP gen also let the FeC attack twice with either unit once they hit my bodies.

The FeC were running blisterskin, and we were on fat deployment, so I may as well have started the game with them 6 inches away from my face. The blisterskin have an artefact that gave the entire spearhead a -1 to hit from ranged attacks. That paired with some truly dismal rolling pretty much invalidated my one full strength irondrake volley.

The cannons and the gunmasters killed a bunch of ghouls before being swamped by the 20+ they couldn't get to,  and it was overall a very sad time for the dwarfs who played the role of FeC uber eats for that evening.

Yeah, playing against a top tier army with a bottom tier army is usually going to go that way.

• LOVE IT! 1

4 minutes ago, Ironbreaker said:

Yeah, playing against a top tier army with a bottom tier army is usually going to go that way.

What's doubly sad is that flayers and a vhargulf are far from what would be considered 'meta' for FeC to run!

That said I do think with a biiiit more intelligent positioning (and also some nicer rolling on my Unforged) I would have been able to clip the spearhead before it healed itself, then set up a battleline and gone to town on the remaining ghouls with my shooting.

See that's the thing with ME, when you lose it doesn't feel like you did just because the other guy has better maths on their dudes, it's usually because you made some dumb decisions with the very limited amount of moves and attacks you can make.

Also next time I'm replacing the rearguard with something other than cannons, those just aren't pulling their weight in the format. In any format, really 😭

• Like 2

I had a a normal 1000pts game versus Fec. My iron drakes iron warden on the first turn managed to hit one of his royal terrorghiests with both grudge hammer torpedos  and then rolled 2 6s for damage.  ended up with a major victory (due to my allied gun hauler burning 3 of his objectives on duality of death)  and a death toll of 2 royal terrorghiest, 1 ghoul king ,and 3 crypt horrors on his side and 10 Longbeards, 20 hammerers and a warden king on mine.  Now the records stands at like 2W vs 6L. Lol

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 2