AoS 2 - Dispossessed Discussion

Chris Tomlin

6 minutes ago, Mortaal said:

With the look out sir installed I thought maybe allying in two flame cannons may be perfect instead of two ballistae? (also more fluffy, having a wall of flame go up!)

Allegiance: Dispossessed
Mortal Realm: Chamon

Leaders
Warden King (120)
- General
- Trait: Strategic Genius
Runelord (100)
- Artefact: Ancestral Pickaxe 
Runelord (100)
Runelord (100)

Battleline
30 x Ironbreakers (360)
10 x Ironbreakers (140)
10 x Ironbreakers (140)

Units
30 x Irondrakes (540)

War Machines
Flame Cannon (200)
- Allies
Flame Cannon (200)
- Allies

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 400 / 400
Wounds: 114

Hm, the Flame Cannon is a "Dwarfs" unit, isn't it. So it isn't a legal "ally" for Dispossessed in case of the Allied Factions of the Pitched Battle Profiles.

Flame cannons do have their utility, especially against big blobs, but i don't feel that they get their points back against heroes.

For a single flame cannon, you can get two ballistae.
If you loose a single crew member, your flamer's maximum range is equal to the rapid fire range of the ballista.
Plus, the ballista is more durable, having more wounds (not counting crew that's true), but getting a beautiful 2+ save against shooting if in cover.

In the end, point for point, and even without including durability, here is your choice =>
Minimum [2D3] MW, maximum [4D6] MW if you are lucky, or [4} 3+ 3+ -2 1 attack at super long range, or an amazing [16] 5+ 3+ -2 1 attacks at very reasonable range.

Just put a Duardin crew for your Ballista and all will be good :) 

17 minutes ago, Furuzzolo said:

What's a flame cannon? Is it a compendium unit? I think that's not a pitched battle legal one...

I didn’t know this rule until after I got myself I big until it miners and pony cart. No regrets though, slapping on bit drill bits was fun. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, makeshifts said:

I didn’t know this rule until after I got myself I big until it miners and pony cart. No regrets though, slapping on bit drill bits was fun. 

Compendium points are still currently usable in matched play at the moment, if you play a tournament its best to check but I dont think it will be a problem. With compendium you are required to use Order allegiance obviously, but thats not a significant issue.

Miners can easily double as warriors or longeards with 2 handed great-weapons in a dispossed list, either as a unit of their own or mixed in with existing warriors. I have 20 I plan to do that with. Mining cart can then be used as a nice objective marker.

Edited by stato
  • Thanks 1

I did look at this for re-using my existing miners and other compendium units as I'm dusting off my WHFB dwarfs - AoS 2 has tempted me to try this new thing!

My understanding is the dwarf compendium points at the end are still valid in matched play (though possibly at a disadvantage given the GH2018 general drop in points), but they do limit you to the Order allegiance since the warscrolls don't have the dispossessed keyword - which also means they can't be taken as allies for a dispossessed list, as they don't have any of the allowed keywords. Nor are they compatible with an order/free cities allegiance such as Tempest's Eye as again they don't have one of the required keywords.

Giving up the dispossessed allegiance (and thus battleline choices etc) or a free cities allegiance if you take a more mixed Order force seemed too high a price to pay for me for unit roles that can generally be replaced with fully supported i.e. still sold units.

As stato, I plan to just re-use my miners as 2-handed warriors with added shields, mixed in with others. It's handy, as most of my old metal warriors are 1 handed axe&shield, and I'm not a fan of the plastics so less conversions needed!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh yeah totally keep the picks, i cant see how anyone could question them as double handed weapons, and they look cool with picks and candles on their helmets.  For shields you dont need to give them to everyone, but maybe 50% to at least visually represents you are carrying. You could probably find something suitable to represent Miner style shields, maybe the shields from <spit> grots and sling them on their backs.

Edited by stato
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Seraphage said:

Guys my book is 45km away from me atm, can someone text me the points of thunderers please ?

I 've never put them into my lists *and thus i do not remember them by heart :P * the last months but I wanna give them a shot

10x for 120p (so 30x is 360p) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Seraphage said:

Guys my book is 45km away from me atm, can someone text me the points of thunderers please ?

I 've never put them into my lists *and thus i do not remember them by heart :P * the last months but I wanna give them a shot

Tell us how they perform, for you! ?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, makeshifts said:

@Arkhanist @stato

Would you guys leave the picks as is and add  shields to the models or would you feel you needed to replace the pick heads?

Totally keep the picks as is. They're not 2H axes, but the distinction on the warscroll is between 1H and 2H weapons and picks are clearly the latter; if someone is that picky about WYSIWYG then chances are you're not going to have a fun game anyway. Tournaments might be different, but even there 'count as' is generally fine as long as it's very clear what it should represent. Miners as 2H warriors is logical, particularly if given shields and mixed with other warriors and a unified paint scheme; miners counting as say, a unit of irondrakes would be a different story outside of games with friends.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ragnar Alpaca said:

Cannons and Organ guns, because they aren’t stormcast lol.

Well...If thier Ballista is better i will go for it and just switch the crew out for dwarfs! Easy fix...? so..what you guys think? 

Edited by Kimbo

I've set aside a Lord-Arcanum and Knight-Incantor from my double set of Soul Wars to paint to match my Dispossessed (project #3 on my list at this point).  I might not ever use both, but that will give me choices for allied wizards.  If I'm not mistaken, K-I and Steam Tank work out under 400, so that will probably be where I start.  In Novemeber, or whenever it is...

Otherwise, I'm going to focus on repainting my beloved metal Hammerers and Ironbreakers.  So pleased about the expanded "Battleline If" lineup.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kimbo said:

Well...If thier Ballista is better i will go for it and just switch the crew out for dwarfs! Easy fix...? so..what you guys think? 

If you ally a cannon, organ gun, and master engineer/cogsmith I believe they are much better than perhaps 2 or 3 ballista. I might be wrong though. Most lists I build can only take 3 allies, so the question is what you want, ballistas are probably a better pick because as they are, they’re better by themselves, and this would allow you to take a wizard as well.

1 hour ago, Ragnar Alpaca said:

If you ally a cannon, organ gun, and master engineer/cogsmith I believe they are much better than perhaps 2 or 3 ballista. I might be wrong though. Most lists I build can only take 3 allies, so the question is what you want, ballistas are probably a better pick because as they are, they’re better by themselves, and this would allow you to take a wizard as well.

Yeah..well...this is what i have been working on. Anyone is free to come with suggestions and tips. I like the symetry with 2x 20x20 dwarfs (breakers backed up by drakes) on each side. Backed up by some Ballista's and runelords/beards to buff stuff up! 

Leaders
Warden King (120)
Runelord (100)
Runelord (100)
Runelord (100)

Units
20 x Ironbreakers (280)
20 x Ironbreakers (280)
20 x Irondrakes (360)
20 x Irondrakes (360)

10 x Longbeards (100)

War Machines
Celestar Ballista (100)
- Allies
Celestar Ballista (100)
- Allies

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 200 / 400
Wounds: 124

I am not looking for ultra competitive, just a strong all-comer type army! 

The dispossessed list always seemed like a good army to bring a bit of everything in. Thunderers and quarellers have some advantages over irondrakes, specifically wounds and board coverage.

Warriors are some cheap wounds, and great for the cost. Ive mostly ran 20 as a speed bump and they constantly impress me.

47 minutes ago, Cerlin said:

The dispossessed list always seemed like a good army to bring a bit of everything in. Thunderers and quarellers have some advantages over irondrakes, specifically wounds and board coverage.

Warriors are some cheap wounds, and great for the cost. Ive mostly ran 20 as a speed bump and they constantly impress me.

Ok! So you do not think my list would work? I would like to avoid the old dwarf models if possible. Might use some warrior as cheap screen however...

41 minutes ago, Seraphage said:

I definitely agree wih the  comment, I wonder why they don't use more warriors in lists. I think they worth the time and it's a very good shield unit for your army *can't recall the discount for maximum capacity right now, but it is really good

I sometimes use 10 of them as a screen. That's maybe a problem of my playgroup but i usually face Ironjawz, big chaos monstes and (a while ago) Stormcast. Goregruntas, Chaos lord on manticore, Mawcrusha, Brutes CHOPS a 5+ save... I don't need bodies, I need chaps that can stand their ground ?

By the way I'm on the Warriors "add to chart" button every day for at least 2 mins. Prove me wrong and 40 of them magicaly pops at my door!

Edited by Furuzzolo
  • Haha 1