AoS 2 - Dispossessed Discussion

Chris Tomlin

3 hours ago, Alaric83 said:

Hello fellow Dawi,

I am building my Dispossessed army, and was waiting for the GHB2019 to know how to finish it. I'd like to have your opinion on the list below.

Do note that my Dispossessed will be converted so that they all look like Kharadron / Grundstok mercenaries. In general, a heavy-armor high-tech feeling.

Leaders:

Warden King (100)
Runelord (80)
Runelord (80)
Runelord (80)

Troops:

30 Ironbreakers (360)
30 Hammerers (360)
30 Irondrakes (540)

Allies:

Gunhauler (130)
Gunhauler (130)
Gunhauler (130)

Total: 1990/2000

I've never played Age of Sigmar before. I come from 40k, where I play Demiurgs by the way ("space dwarves").

Does this army seem fun/playable to you ? I saw that Hammerers now cost the same as Ironbreakers and are also battlelines, so might as well add them to try a pickaxe trick with a runelord and 30 boosted hammerers on the enemy's backyard.

My question is : Are the 30 Hammerers worth it ? Or should I instead replace them by 30 more Ironbreakers (60 in total) to really hold the line while the 30 Irondrakes and the 3 Gunhaulers do the heavy lifting ?

I was also thinking of taking only 20 Irondrakes, which gives me enough to get either :
10 Longbeards and 90points of something else (but what?)
- 10 more Ironbreakers and 50points / 1 command point

Being new to Age of Sigmar, I'm looking forward for your feedback, true friends of the Dawi !
Thanks.

For me personally 30 Hammerers are tricky. Hammerers are worth it but thirty is a lot of points and it's hard to use such a big unit effectively. I'd rather take 2x 20 and drop the points somewhere else. 

Irondrakes are the biggest boon we have damage wise. Ironbreakers toughness wise. So take them definitely. But I would pickaxe the Irondrakes, because the way pickaxing work the unit is off the table a while. The turn they pop up I rather not risk them being out of play for another by failing a 9" charge. But try both and see what you prefer. It won't change your list build I reckon. 

On the subject of the Gunhaulers... If you feel they fit in the theme go for it. Because they are awesome models but if you are taking them because of the ranged threat I feel the new mercenary company (2 cannons, engineer, Gyrocopter) would be a better fit or just take some artillery as allies. Or some other option would be a frigate with 6 Skywardens/10 Thunderers. But that should  be your choice of either gameplay or theme focus. Both is perfectly valid. 

All in all definitely a cool list and really want to see the conversions! (and for you I hope a bundled tome ;) ). But you have a great set of tools. Three squads that are great at what your doing. The threat of spiking some rolls with the 3 gunhaulers & deepstriking a unit will force your opponent to come to you. All in all give it a go. 

• Like 1

So how are you guys playing scenarios that require fighting for multiple objectives over the battlefield? Are you regularly forsaking your shield wall and using your musicians to advance? I feel like I need shield wall almost all of the time just to cope with the damage opponents can throw at us sometimes.

So, despite being a bit standoffish to starting the faction with no real changes, I decided to just go ahead and get started.. after all there will be an update at some point. When taking competitivity into account (as much as Dispossessed can be) I'm going between 2 rough list ideas with the new points changes in mind. I really wanted something with heavy shooting emphasis as my 3rd (and final for awhile) army so I lean more towards the 2nd... but I don't feel that Cannons are worth it when they, on average, will do about 3-4 wounds after saves.

Anyway, curious to hear thoughts and suggested changes. I'll hold out for that extra wound across the board.

Balanced

Spoiler

Allegiance: Dispossessed
- Grudge: Shoddy Craftsmanship

Leaders
Warden King (100)
- General
- Trait: Grudgebearer 
- Artefact: Ancestral Pickaxe 
Runelord (80)
Runelord (80)
Runelord (80)

Battleline
20 x Ironbreakers (280)
20 x Ironbreakers (280)
10 x Longbeards (100)
- Great Axes & Shields
20 x Hammerers (280)

Units
20 x Irondrakes (360)
20 x Irondrakes (360)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 130

Cannons\Shooting

Spoiler

Leaders
Warden King (100)
- General
Runelord (80)
Runelord (80)
Runelord (80)
Gunmaster (80)
- Allies

Battleline
20 x Ironbreakers (280)
20 x Ironbreakers (280)
10 x Longbeards (100)
- Great Axes & Shields
10 x Longbeards (100)
- Great Axes & Shields

Units
20 x Irondrakes (360)
10 x Irondrakes (180)

War Machines
Cannon (140)
- Allies
Cannon (140)
- Allies

Allies: 360 / 400
Wounds: 123

• LOVE IT! 1

With the new points reductions for Kharadron Overlords, we can take a Frigate and 10 Thunderers (380) as an ally for 2k games. This is what I was tinkering with:

Warden King 100

Warden King 100

Runelord 80

Runelord 80

Runelord 80

20xHammerers 280

20xIronbreakers 280

20xLongbeards 200

20xQuarrellers 240

10xWarriors 90

10xWarriors 90

Allies

Frigate 200

10xThunderers 180

2000/2000

• Like 2

So what about the battalion in a post GHB world? Personally I'd be taking it in an Order force so that the abilities aren't wasted (plus passing battleshock on 1/2/3 with a reroll is nice).

With the points drops what would you include and how many other points would you be looking at left over for the rest of the force?

Update: can you use the battalion in mixed order?

Edited by Charlo

Messing around with meeting engagements lists, obviously you would build towards the scenario but I find the list building to be a really really interesting part because of the format of sending in 'waves'. I might try this:

Spearhead

Unforged (80)

10x Ironbreakers (140)

10x Warriors (90) - Shields and Axes

Main Body

Warden King (100)

Runelord (80)

20x Thunderers (240)

10x Longbeards (100) - Shields and 2H axes

Rearguard

Gyrocopter (80)

23 hours ago, Gwendar said:

So, despite being a bit standoffish to starting the faction with no real changes, I decided to just go ahead and get started.. after all there will be an update at some point. When taking competitivity into account (as much as Dispossessed can be) I'm going between 2 rough list ideas with the new points changes in mind. I really wanted something with heavy shooting emphasis as my 3rd (and final for awhile) army so I lean more towards the 2nd... but I don't feel that Cannons are worth it when they, on average, will do about 3-4 wounds after saves.

Anyway, curious to hear thoughts and suggested changes. I'll hold out for that extra wound across the board.

Balanced

Hide contents

Leaders
Warden King (100)
- General
Runelord (80)
Runelord (80)
Runelord (80)

Battleline
20 x Ironbreakers (280)
20 x Ironbreakers (280)
10 x Longbeards (100)
- Great Axes & Shields
20 x Hammerers (280)

Units
20 x Irondrakes (360)
20 x Irondrakes (360)

Cannons\Shooting

Hide contents

Leaders
Warden King (100)
- General
Runelord (80)
Runelord (80)
Runelord (80)
Gunmaster (80)
- Allies

Battleline
20 x Ironbreakers (280)
20 x Ironbreakers (280)
10 x Longbeards (100)
- Great Axes & Shields
10 x Longbeards (100)
- Great Axes & Shields

Units
20 x Irondrakes (360)
10 x Irondrakes (180)

War Machines
Cannon (140)
- Allies
Cannon (140)
- Allies

Both are nice but I am a fun of the 2nd one - and also made a similar list due to this : If the opponent lets you go first, he needs to be afraid of something or else you are losing a whole round without really doing anything. Another thing to keep in mind, is that with all these ultra strong units, having big units is probably not ot our biggest advantage.  A terrorgheist will wipe Breakers even at 20. Better to split them at units of 10 - also more manoeuvrable - and hit the enemy in waves. You can always keep 1 x20 unit of course, but 1 should be the max imo !

Threw together a quick list fir a 1k concept based on the points leak. Might be too fragile to work but it could be potentially killy if they stick together to goon squad important targets.

Warden King 100

Runelord 80

Runelord 80

Longbeardsx10 100

Hammerersx20 280

Irondrakesx20 360

Total Points 1000/1000

Allies 0/200

Total Wounds: 65

6 hours ago, Charlo said:

So what about the battalion in a post GHB world? Personally I'd be taking it in an Order force so that the abilities aren't wasted (plus passing battleshock on 1/2/3 with a reroll is nice).

With the points drops what would you include and how many other points would you be looking at left over for the rest of the force?

Update: can you use the battalion in mixed order?

Answer: Yes you can, it's not tight to an allegiance. You just need to fulfil it's requirements as far as I know. The only question is will it have points?

On the battalion. I never did, but there is a good argument to be made for taking it to improve the grudge allegiance ability. Re-Roll all hits of 1 is better than situational. But it's an expensive battalion to fill. What were you thinking of filling it with? 

5 hours ago, Zadolix said:

Messing around with meeting engagements lists, obviously you would build towards the scenario but I find the list building to be a really really interesting part because of the format of sending in 'waves'. I might try this:

Spearhead

Unforged (80)

10x Ironbreakers (140)

Main Body

Warden King (100)

Runelord (80)

20x Thunderers (240)

Rearguard

Gyrocopter (80)

I love slayer models so I'm hoping you have a great reason for including a Unforged rather than an Runelord for the Spearhead. 

In regards to meeting engagement, I'm curious what will happen but I expect us to build the list before you roll scenario. But if you know the order is vanguard= body- rearguard it looks really good. Maybe only switch 10 warriors with 20 thunderers for an extra turn of shooting? The rest of the vanguard should be able to protect them.

On 6/17/2019 at 6:03 PM, Gwendar said:

Balanced

Reveal hidden contents

Leaders
Warden King (100)
- General
Runelord (80)
Runelord (80)
Runelord (80)

Battleline
20 x Ironbreakers (280)
20 x Ironbreakers (280)
10 x Longbeards (100)
- Great Axes & Shields
20 x Hammerers (280)

Units
20 x Irondrakes (360)
20 x Irondrakes (360)

Cannons\Shooting

Reveal hidden contents

Leaders
Warden King (100)
- General
Runelord (80)
Runelord (80)
Runelord (80)
Gunmaster (80)
- Allies

Battleline
20 x Ironbreakers (280)
20 x Ironbreakers (280)
10 x Longbeards (100)
- Great Axes & Shields
10 x Longbeards (100)
- Great Axes & Shields

Units
20 x Irondrakes (360)
10 x Irondrakes (180)

War Machines
Cannon (140)
- Allies
Cannon (140)
- Allies

For what it's worth I would probably take the Balanced list. Lose the cannon's, lose a lot of punch. But still cannons 😍

41 minutes ago, Kramer said:

For what it's worth I would probably take the Balanced list. Lose the cannon's, lose a lot of punch. But still cannons 😍

I mean, I love cannons too but do you really lose punch by dropping them in favor of more Irondrakes and Hammerers? The extended range is great for the first turn especially (like what @Seraphage was saying) but mathhammer only makes them out to do a few wounds a piece on average.

I'll be building towards 1k at first anyway which won't include Cannons, but they just seem like a fun, yet not great choice unless I'm mathing wrong, which, I very well may be.. it isn't my strong suite.

Here's a list I'm planning on trying out at 2k

Allegiance: GA:O (Firestorm: Tempest's Eye)

Warden King (100)

Runelord (80)

Unforged (80)

Warriors 10x (90)

Warriors 10x (90)

Longbeards 10x (100)

Cannon (140)

Irondrakes 20x (360)

Ironbreakers 20x (280)

Hammerers 10x (140)

Thunderers 10x (120)

Gyrocopter (80)

Grudgebound Warthrong (170)

--------------------------------------------------------------

....which actually comes out to 1830 somehow O.o

I really think the universal rerolling ones to hit is so key for us, we need to be able to maximize what damage we can potentially do, plus with the new reroll ones to wound CP ability...

what do you think I should add with the extra 170 pts? more cannon?

another runelord and 10 warriors? two more gyrocopters? :D

Archmage for 6++? 

1 hour ago, Gwendar said:

I mean, I love cannons too but do you really lose punch by dropping them in favor of more Irondrakes and Hammerers? The extended range is great for the first turn especially (like what @Seraphage was saying) but mathhammer only makes them out to do a few wounds a piece on average.

I'll be building towards 1k at first anyway which won't include Cannons, but they just seem like a fun, yet not great choice unless I'm mathing wrong, which, I very well may be.. it isn't my strong suite.

Haha no sorry that’s my bad. I meant In Game with that second list. Lose the cannons and you lost your main threat. 

The real value that mathhammer wont show is, at least in my opinion, is that it’s not the actual damage but the potential of that damage that forces your opponent to act and move. The sad thing about cannons in my view is that your opponent can target your crew. So after only six wounds both cannons are out. After six wounds that extra squad of irondrakes is still firing. Of course it’s less long range but that’s why you take either two or pickaxe the unit. 

Withhout such a threat (and in my eyes it’s the main thing a revamp should bring) the opponent can dictate play. The potential of 2 cannons should force your opponent into action and closer to your slow footsoldiers. 

1 hour ago, ColsBols said:

Here's a list I'm planning on trying out at 2k

Allegiance: GA:O (Firestorm: Tempest's Eye)

Warden King (100)

Runelord (80)

Unforged (80)

Warriors 10x (90)

Warriors 10x (90)

Longbeards 10x (100)

Cannon (140)

Irondrakes 20x (360)

Ironbreakers 20x (280)

Hammerers 10x (140)

Thunderers 10x (120)

Gyrocopter (80)

Grudgebound Warthrong (170)

--------------------------------------------------------------

....which actually comes out to 1830 somehow O.o

I really think the universal rerolling ones to hit is so key for us, we need to be able to maximize what damage we can potentially do, plus with the new reroll ones to wound CP ability...

what do you think I should add with the extra 170 pts? more cannon?

another runelord and 10 warriors? two more gyrocopters? :D

Archmage for 6++? 

Maybe take out the gyro and take a cannon and engineer/gunsmith?

or size up the hammerers? With two attacks each you can get some real value out of the re-roll. 

But the archangel is tactically sound. Same for another runelord. I think the gyro’s are fun but after first edition I never fielded them anymore. Not really a conscious descision but it sort of happened and haven’t missed them.  

Edited by Kramer

31 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Haha no sorry that’s my bad. I meant In Game with that second list. Lose the cannons and you lost your main threat. 

The real value that mathhammer wont show is, at least in my opinion, is that it’s not the actual damage but the potential of that damage that forces your opponent to act and move. The sad thing about cannons in my view is that your opponent can target your crew. So after only six wounds both cannons are out. After six wounds that extra squad of irondrakes is still firing. Of course it’s less long range but that’s why you take either two or pickaxe the unit. 

Withhout such a threat (and in my eyes it’s the main thing a revamp should bring) the opponent can dictate play. The potential of 2 cannons should force your opponent into action and closer to your slow footsoldiers. 

Right, I see what you mean in that regard. I think I'm trying too hard to make a competitive shooting army and it just doesn't work well as a main focus for them like it would, say, Freeguild.

The most I could think to do in that list to make it more shooty is go to 40 Irondrakes, 20-10-10 Ironbreakers and keep the 2 Cannons.. but, eh. Maybe I should just go back to my soup idea of long ago by just going nuts with Greywater Fastness now that everything's cheaper:

Spoiler

Allegiance: Greywater Fastness

Leaders
Celestial Hurricanum With Celestial Battlemage (380)
- General
Gunmaster (80)
Gunmaster (80)

Battleline
10 x Arkanaut Company (120)
- 3x Light Skyhooks
- 3x Light Skyhooks
- 3x Light Skyhooks

War Machines
Cannon (140)
Cannon (140)
Cannon (140)
Cannon (140)
Steam Tank (240)
Steam Tank (240)

Total: 1940 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 91

Anyway, I appreciate the advice.. I think I have some decision making to do. But I'm probably going with that 2nd list, or a variation thereof... at least, before anyone convinces me to do the above Greywater one.

18 hours ago, Kramer said:

I love slayer models so I'm hoping you have a great reason for including a Unforged rather than an Runelord for the Spearhead. 

In regards to meeting engagement, I'm curious what will happen but I expect us to build the list before you roll scenario. But if you know the order is vanguard= body- rearguard it looks really good. Maybe only switch 10 warriors with 20 thunderers for an extra turn of shooting? The rest of the vanguard should be able to protect them.

I toyed with the idea of a 2nd Runelord but I don't think his impact would be that big on 10 man units to be honest. Whereas with the Unforged he just helps to give that spearhead a little bit of damage and muscle if they get charged early. He always rerolls 1s to hit and wounds on 2+ naturally against anything with multiple wounds so he's a nice little deterrant and my opponent would have to make the choice of targeting him over the other units.

I've just realised I can only have 1 battleline unit in the spearhead so what I've done is invalid. You're right with the thunderers, I just realised too that I can't take a 20 man unit of them in the spearhead or main body. They would have to be in the rearguard for a unit of 20 which just isnt worth it. So maybe something like this instead:

Spearhead

Unforged (80)

10x Ironbreakers (140)

10x Thunderers (120)

10x Thunderers (120)

Main Body

Warden King (100) - Ancestral Pickaxe - go with the warriors

Runelord (80)

20x Warriors (180) - Shields and Axes

Rearguard

Gyrocopter (80) - Or a Runelord??

AoSGHMeetingEngage-Jun11-ArmyChart2id.jpg

19 hours ago, Kramer said:

Answer: Yes you can, it's not tight to an allegiance. You just need to fulfil it's requirements as far as I know. The only question is will it have points?

On the battalion. I never did, but there is a good argument to be made for taking it to improve the grudge allegiance ability. Re-Roll all hits of 1 is better than situational. But it's an expensive battalion to fill. What were you thinking of filling it with? 

Below is the start...

• GBWT - 170
  • Warden King - 100
  • Unforged - 80
  • Runelord - 80
  • Longbeards - 100
  • Longbeards - 100
  • Longbeards - 100
  • Thunderers - 120
  • Hammerers - 140
  • Hammerers - 140
  • Irondrakes - 180

Quick bit of listhammer with the new points puts me at a base of 1310 pts. All units are minimum sized but I think this is the way to do it, bodies through combined arms. You could save 30 by using Warriors to fill the Battleline, but for 10pts a unit for extra bravery and the additional ability is nice. With three units of Longbeards you get all three abilities every turn.

In terms of allegiance this is ORDER, so you re-roll battleshock and autopass on a 1/2/3... Combine that with an Oathstone for Brv8 on the units and your opponent needs to kill 3 models in a unit to even start forcing checks and even then you have a 75% chance to autopass. Any who do run stick around on a 5+ thanks to the Longbeards. All DISPOSSESED units are rerolling 1s to hit from the Battalion and 1s to wound thanks to the Longbeards (keeping everyone within 8" should be simple enough). Runelord and Runic Icons mean magic is mostly dealt with.

To go further you could layer on a Free City to this (as I understand you keep the re-roll battleshock and then gain the FC ability on top?) and Living City seems quite good, forsaking Wildwoods you can just outflank some units to an edge, great for slower DORF units and especially nice to get the Irondrakes or Unforged a juicy target (though then they'd most likely be outside of the buff castle of DORFS so maybe not the best idea?) plus it limits the allies a fair amount with just Stormcast, Free People, Sylvaneth & Wanderers available... Any other thoughts on potential Free City?

690pts to play with next. I think a second Runelord is a must for the unbind and buffs so that leaves 590... Not to mention two artefact's to play with!

Any suggestions? I get that this is a bit MSU and I could bulk out some of the units but i'm unsure if it's worth it. I have the whole of Order available so it's fairly wide open! A small part of me is thinking an Assassin with the -3 Rend blade, just to hide among the battleline and make a big dent in any nasty heroes that show up, he hits hard for 80pts and fights immediately so can maybe do SOMETHING of note. Another silly idea is a Celestant-Prime - modelled as a Dwarven War god of course, to swoop in and add a big nasty threat to deal with as well as some mortal wounds.

Otherwise though i'm drawing a blank!

• Like 1

These incredible stories will be accompanied by a script book for Realmslayer and the first new iteration of Gotrek as a model for thirteen years… and it’s absolutely breathtaking, depicting his new look as he carves his way through skaven (always some of his favourite enemies to kill), still seeking his ultimate destiny. This will be accompanied by rules for using Gotrek in your games of Warhammer Age of Sigmar, and we’re sure we’ll be seeing him on tabletops everywhere very soon.

• LOVE IT! 1

15 minutes ago, prochuvi said:

In a faq they said that you loose the order alegiance as free city and cant use the reroll battlesocks.

But it worth it,my favourite is tempest eye for the extra +1 save and  move at the first turn

You can still use order allegiance.

"When you organise your collection to be an army from a specific city or under the command of a specific warlord, you must use the Grand Alliance allegiance abilities for your army, but you can also use the City & Warlord allegiance abilities on the following pages. Any units that do not have the keywords listed under the Organisation for the army can be taken as allies if they are part of the same Grand Alliance as the army."

This is from the newest FAQ

35 minutes ago, AlmGandix3 said:

These incredible stories will be accompanied by a script book for Realmslayer and the first new iteration of Gotrek as a model for thirteen years… and it’s absolutely breathtaking, depicting his new look as he carves his way through skaven (always some of his favourite enemies to kill), still seeking his ultimate destiny. This will be accompanied by rules for using Gotrek in your games of Warhammer Age of Sigmar, and we’re sure we’ll be seeing him on tabletops everywhere very soon.

Can probably be taken as an ally by anyone from Grand Alliance Order I would imagine. Hopefully a nice source of mortal wounds for us!