AoS 2 - Dispossessed Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Kind of dwarf news.

Definatly give this Stormcast a listen. Super old school mini designer talk about making minis since before GW existed.

There is a lot of dwarf talk. Specifically how the models changed over the year. Mostly talking Fyreslayers. 

No obvious "winking" hints about dispossessed, but there is alot if talk about the reasons we need dwarfs back. Such as, history, the narrative of slayers, and how new modeling techniques makes revisiting old ideas fun again.

Edited by Oath Stoned

1 hour ago, Breaks-the-iron Mont said:

Hello my dwarven friends!

I am but a lurking beardling, thought I'd jump in and raise a mug to you all. New player, just bought a stack of second hand warriors with artillery, and I got excited and pulled the trigger on 4x Boxes of ironbreakers.

This is the start of something special!!

Welcome fellow beardling! I have played a few games myself, but I'm still new. That said, this news nakes me want to finish painting my hold army again

• Like 1

I really hope our boys are not a side note in a freeguild tome. Sure they're scattered among the cities but they have a very distinctive aesthetic and culture that doesn't fit with freeguild in my opinion. I think they're in for a daughters of khaine style release (couple kits, centerpiece). Maybe we'll see these Cogforts we keep hearing about?  Page 23 of the Fyreslayers tome: 

photo_2019-06-04_22-19-57.jpg

• Thanks 2
  • LOVE IT! 3

Agree with you,a tome with free peoole together dwarfs is almost a insult to dwarfs players.

It is as if they mix every high elf,wood elf,dark elf together and do a tome.

It dont makes sense,it is a lazy work of gw,of course it is easier and cost less money release a tome with disposesed together free people and ironweld before a full tome for each.

If they release a tome with all the armys together of the old world gonna be a lazy work and i hope dont happen.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, prochuvi said:

Agree with you,a tome with free peoole together dwarfs is almost a insult to dwarfs players.

It is as if they mix every high elf,wood elf,dark elf together and do a tome.

It dont makes sense,it is a lazy work of gw,of course it is easier and cost less money release a tome with disposesed together free people and ironweld before a full tome for each.

If they release a tome with all the armys together of the old world gonna be a lazy work and i hope dont happen.

You pretty much just listed all the reasons why they would do a combination tome. And it's likely to also happen with the Aelves, if they don't also get bunched in with a Free People\Cities tome.

The Dispossessed line is definitely big enough to have it's own tome and be expanded upon, I agree.. but I also think they fall too closely to standard Dwarves and would actually fit just fine in a "ragtag" tome instead of their own when there's already 2 unique dwarven IP's out there. They've shown to be "lazy" and do this with the Gitz, BoC, LoN just to name a few so, to me, it does make sense that they would continue this trend.

It likely is cheaper and faster to do as they won't need to include any new models (maybe a terrain piece?) and will get all of these broken factions more up to speed. I mean, I'll be honest I hope I'm wrong as it would cool to have them fleshed out on their own but... I just don't see it with how they've been doing every other book.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gwendar said:

You pretty much just listed all the reasons why they would do a combination tome. And it's likely to also happen with the Aelves, if they don't also get bunched in with a Free People\Cities tome.

The Dispossessed line is definitely big enough to have it's own tome and be expanded upon, I agree.. but I also think they fall too closely to standard Dwarves and would actually fit just fine in a "ragtag" tome instead of their own when there's already 2 unique dwarven IP's out there. They've shown to be "lazy" and do this with the Gitz, BoC, LoN just to name a few so, to me, it does make sense that they would continue this trend.

It likely is cheaper and faster to do as they won't need to include any new models (maybe a terrain piece?) and will get all of these broken factions more up to speed. I mean, I'll be honest I hope I'm wrong as it would cool to have them fleshed out on their own but... I just don't see it with how they've been doing every other book.

I don’t agree. If they combined Dispossessed, free people, ironweld, and any elves, that would become a bloated mess of an army. Also they haven’t done this before like you say. Gitz, BoC, and LoN are not like this at all, they all were once a single army like they are now again. Free people and dwarfs have never been one army, and if elves were included that would put 3 armies together into one.

Also I feel one reason people are up saying we are going to get combined again is that during that interview they said, “Dispossessed would be included and the book itself won’t be called Dispossessed.” Well this is obvious. BoC weren’t called BoC before they got their book, neither were Gitz or LoN. They all had their small respective group names and when put into a battletome they got a new name labeling them all as something new. This will also without question happen to our dwarfs. 

If I'm to guess the release for dwarfs will come out later next year most likely, and combine Dispossessed and the dwarf portions of iron weld. Like the fyreslayers we’ll also get some sort of endless spells, along with some sort of terrain piece. At this point I don’t see us getting a DoK style release with a couple new kits, but hey we can still hope for that.

Edited by Ragnar Alpaca
  • Thanks 2

Whilst I’m happy that the Dispossessed are apparently getting something soon, I’d be sad if it turned out that they, the humans and the ordinary aelves were all being bundled together into one book.  

Why?  Aesthetically they're miles apart, and in game play terms they’re nothing alike.  Dispossessed have their grudges, the free guild have regiments etc.  I think it would be incredibly lazy to lump them altogether.

Having said that, I think it’s possible that the three dwarf factions might one day be combined together.  I’d be a little sad if they were (they’re so distinct in their own ways) but it’s not entirely out of the question. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While I totally respect people wanting their own tomes for their factions of choice, I hope I'm not alone in that I would rather see these factions finally viable and supported again regardless, rather than continue to be left without battletomes just because they're "outdated".  Hopefully they will mostly keep the races in their specialized groupings, but some cross-over (for example sylvaneth and wanderers would have been great together) is totally acceptable to me.

#SaveTheModels

• Like 3

On 6/4/2019 at 10:55 AM, Rurik said:

Check out the Honest Wargamers most recent show fellow dawi, I think the AoS 6 nations one at 9 minutes in they talk about some Dispossessed news. 

The Dispossessed battletome question was asked at the Games expo preview and GW said actually said yes! But the book wouldn’t be named Dispossessed. They feature inside the book though. Check it out though as I can’t remember all the information they gave. 

Could fit with the fluff from the fyreslayers book. With the new grungni dwarves and then the dispossessed being included in the book too, like spiderfang was in Gloomspite. Exciting times! 

Just thought I would chime in here. I was at the event and heard the question and this summary isn't quite right (haven't checked out the honest wargamers show to be fair).

When asked would dispossessed be getting a battletome they said: Over the next year or so, every faction will be covered by a battletome. Then just before moving on, they remembered to say that they won't necessarily match to the current faction labels, and that was a general comment about the factions, not dwarf specific.

So they essentially confirmed that dispossessed will be covered by a battle tome within the next few years. That could be as part of a different faction (free cities etc.) or as a dispossessed book.

This makes sense because under no circumstances would they say that dispossessed would be rolled into a larger book, they don't actually reveal that level of information in these Q&As. Despite it being fairly obvious that they don't answer questions about specific releases, half of the questions at these events are "Will we get space marine bikes?" etc. It gets quite infuriating.

So they give us some vague ideas of long plans:

• This year (2019) there is still at least one release for each grand alliance.
  • Over the next few years, all existing factions will be covered by a battletome. In fairness, they haven't ruled out achieving this by removing a faction, I don't think.
Edited by Brad Gamma
  • Thanks 2

I think we should stick to the official lore and don't get scared.

Grugni is concocting something in an underground fortress in Chamon.

Could be a new bloodline, some sort of invention, mecha-cogfort, new duardin empire, maybe summoning Valaya here.

What if we get some sort of Adeptus Mecanicus updates? Instead of miners a mechaMole team, some brass golem a la d&d that absorb magic and hit like a truck.. 😇

GW placed some lore seed that point in a clear direction, some sort of AoS-fication of the old dwarf line. We only need to wait!

36 minutes ago, Furuzzolo said:

Could be a new bloodline, some sort of invention, mecha-cogfort, new duardin empire, maybe summoning Valaya here.

What if we get some sort of Adeptus Mecanicus updates? Instead of miners a mechaMole team, some brass golem a la d&d that absorb magic and hit like a truck.. 😇

GW placed some lore seed that point in a clear direction, some sort of AoS-fication of the old dwarf line. We only need to wait!

Let’s see her.

with just got fyreslayer.

then there is the sylvaneth battletome which still is being held back and which, from what the whispers in the shadows tell me can take dispossesseds units as allies.

Then there was the announcement of the realmslayer model, of which we all know is never going be hopefully a part of the zealot kind of the dwarfs.

we have gotten information about some  the dwarfed gods that are searching or building something mysterious in the mountains of chamon.

We also know for a fact that most of the dwarfen Karaks are allocated in chamon , and are overrun by vermin’s like my own kind and of those green things.

I have a feeling that we might see much much more hints about the sturdy old dwarfs in the future🤔

• Thanks 1

Had a 1500pt game vs Ironjawz the other night and managed a victory! We played Grand Slaughter where you basically get VPs for killing units and more VP for killing certain types of units - e.g heroes, general, big units of 20+ etc.

So first thing I'm gonna say is the Piledriver Gauntlets are AWESOME. They did so much work for me, I gave them to my Runelord General and bubblewrapped him on the frontline with Longbeards or Ironbreakers and oh man they are so so so good. It made my duardin super durable combined with shield wall and ancestral shield. The fact you can activate it EVERY combat phase, both yours and your opponents makes it really good. During nearly all the combats in this battle my Runelord was near the front line affecting most enemy units with the -1 debuff. Also with shoddy craftsmanship and longbeards grumbling I was rerolling 1s all over the place, getting lots of good quality and quantity hits and wounds.

I had the following:

Allegiance: Dispossessed
- Grudge: Shoddy Craftsmanship
Runelord (100)
- General
- Trait: Resolute 
- Artefact: Piledriver Gauntlets 
Warden King (120)
Gunmaster (80)
- Allies
20 x Ironbreakers (280)
20 x Warriors (160)
- Axes or Hammers & Shields
10 x Longbeards (100)
- Great Axes & Shields
20 x Longbeards (200)
- Great Axes
10 x Thunderers (120)
Cannon (160)
- Allies
Cannon (160)
- Allies

Total: 1480 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 400 / 400
Wounds: 103

My opponent had (I think) the below:

Allegiance: Ironjawz
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (440)
- General
- Boss Gore-hacka and Scrap-tooth
- Trait: Ironclad 
- Artefact: Battered Talisman
Orruk Megaboss (140)
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (160)
- 7x Pair of Choppas or Smashas
- 1x Choppa or Smasha & Shields
- 2x Big Choppas
10 x Orruk Brutes (360)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- 2x Gore Choppas
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)
- Pig-iron Choppas
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)
- Jagged Gore-hackas

Total: 1500 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 107

I didn't take further photos as I was so involved in the game. But basically he got first turn and his mawcrusha got the free move on a 4+, then did his normal move and charged into my screen of 20 warriors. 19 warriors died but 1 still remaining alive keeping him in combat! The rest of his line rumbled forward. In my first turn I tried to charge to mawcrusha with longbeards but rolled a double 1!  I counter attacked with my thunderers, 2 cannons and the warden king and got the mawcrusha down to 3 wounds. It was tough as Ironclad helped the boss to ignore the first -1 rend!

In turn 2 his Shaman  got foot of gork off on a 10 but my mighty Runelord general stopped it on an 11! His first unit of goregruntas slammed into my 20 man longbeards unit but they held firm. The other gruntas hit my ironbreakers but caused no casualties. The rest of his ardboys and brutes continued to advance. The mawcrusha finished off the warrior and killed the warden king. In my turn ancestral shield went up on the ironbreakers and the thunderers finished off the mawcrusha. The cannons boomed into his gore gruntas engaging the right flank longbeards, killing 2. My longbeards on the left flank charged into the gore gruntas engaging the ironbreakers adding a few wounds.

In turn 3 the ardboyz charged into my unit of 10 longbeards on the left flank killing a couple. The brutes hit my line of ironbreakers only killing 2 but losing 2 in return! In my turn the thunderers finished off one unit of gore gruntas while the cannons boomed into the ardboyz, killing 5. In the combat phase the longbeards and ironbreakers continued to smash on the ardboys and brutes felling a couple more. The ardboys fled in the battleshock phase.

In turn 4 I got the priority (finally!), the cannons and thunderers boomed into the brutes leaving only 4 remaining, my longbeards repositioned and the Ironbreakers killed another 2 brutes. The brutes killed 2 more ironbreakers and then fled. 

At this point we shook hands as all he had left was a megaboss and shaman against my 16 man unit of ironbreakers, Runelord, 8 longbeards, 2 cannons, 10 thunderers and gunmaster.

Overall thoughts:

- Cannons and gunmasters are awesome. Protect them and they take care of monsters and multi wound units with ease.

- Piledriver Gauntlets are really good on a non combat hero like the Runelord, it can be activated EVERY combat phase, both yours and your opponents and stacked with shield wall and ancestral shield makes your duardin rock hard.

- Although they are mainly defensive a well buffed unit of Ironbreakers can put out some good damage and take barely any, sometimes none in return.

- Against certain armies the army grudge + longbeard grumbling + ancestral grude really ups the damage level on the duardin.

- Ancestral shield is well worth it most of the time, more than forgefire I find.

DSC_0064.jpg

DSC_0065.JPG

Edited by Zadolix
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Ragnar Alpaca said:

I don’t agree. If they combined Dispossessed, free people, ironweld, and any elves, that would become a bloated mess of an army. Also they haven’t done this before like you say. Gitz, BoC, and LoN are not like this at all, they all were once a single army like they are now again. Free people and dwarfs have never been one army, and if elves were included that would put 3 armies together into one.

Also I feel one reason people are up saying we are going to get combined again is that during that interview they said, “Dispossessed would be included and the book itself won’t be called Dispossessed.” Well this is obvious. BoC weren’t called BoC before they got their book, neither were Gitz or LoN. They all had their small respective group names and when put into a battletome they got a new name labeling them all as something new. This will also without question happen to our dwarfs. 

If I'm to guess the release for dwarfs will come out later next year most likely, and combine Dispossessed and the dwarf portions of iron weld. Like the fyreslayers we’ll also get some sort of endless spells, along with some sort of terrain piece. At this point I don’t see us getting a DoK style release with a couple new kits, but hey we can still hope for that.

Agree to disagree. It may not be the exact same situation as those books, but they could easily change things around to make it work. I don't think we can reliably speculate one way or the other. They can (and will) retcon anything they want, but the Free Cities lore as it stands suites itself towards a combination book.

Aelves... yeah, they can be left out. They have enough for their own book.

1 hour ago, Zadolix said:

makes your duardin rock hard.

Phrasing.

I appreciate the battle report. I'm still up in the air on my next army between Free People and Dispossessed, but reading reports like this makes me move closer to Dwarves. Doesn't help that Free People players\content is mostly non-existent as it currently stands by comparison.

• Haha 1

Congrats lad ! What a nice review !

I was wondering how effective the Gauntlets could be against an all CC army, and if it could be useful against BoC, now I'm eager to test it with a wall of Ironbreakers !

I see why you used it with Runelord, but how restrictive is the use ? Does it works on all models at 6" - of the user, or does the enemy unit needs to be entirely at 6"- ?

On Cannon and Gunmaster, nothing to add... just point at them and shoot, everything goes boom.

On Ancestral shield, I dunno... I most of the time prefer to use Forgefire, to put something down quickly with the Grudge/Longbeard/AncestralGrudge combo.

Depends of the situation.

Once again, congrats !

6 hours ago, Furuzzolo said:

I agree, it would be a bit weird to drop this new fluff seed and roll Dispossessed in with Humans. I could see this new faction as being sort of a crusading force led by Grungni. Rallying all the Dispossessed clans and possibly some of the other Duardin to reclaim their former Khazalid Empire from the enemy. The Dispossessed trying to repossess their homes. Like you said, new stuff like golems could be brought in and other new stuff. Grungni is finally getting out of his depression and helping his people. I just had a new idea for a chaff unit. Duardin Pilgrims, devote Duardin from across the realms rallying to Grungni. They could be modeled with bits of Fyreslayer and KO aesthetic nods to depict a far wide rallying. Just an idea I just had.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ironbreaker said:

I agree, it would be a bit weird to drop this new fluff seed and roll Dispossessed in with Humans. I could see this new faction as being sort of a crusading force led by Grungni. Rallying all the Dispossessed clans and possibly some of the other Duardin to reclaim their former Khazalid Empire from the enemy. The Dispossessed trying to repossess their homes. Like you said, new stuff like golems could be brought in and other new stuff. Grungni is finally getting out of his depression and helping his people. I just had a new idea for a chaff unit. Duardin Pilgrims, devote Duardin from across the realms rallying to Grungni. They could be modeled with bits of Fyreslayer and KO aesthetic nods to depict a far wide rallying. Just an idea I just had.

Grungni is the Pope. And I shall answer his call. Deus Vult Dawi!

• Like 3

On 6/6/2019 at 8:17 AM, Brad Gamma said:

Just thought I would chime in here. I was at the event and heard the question and this summary isn't quite right (haven't checked out the honest wargamers show to be fair).

When asked would dispossessed be getting a battletome they said: Over the next year or so, every faction will be covered by a battletome. Then just before moving on, they remembered to say that they won't necessarily match to the current faction labels, and that was a general comment about the factions, not dwarf specific.

So they essentially confirmed that dispossessed will be covered by a battle tome within the next few years. That could be as part of a different faction (free cities etc.) or as a dispossessed book.

This makes sense because under no circumstances would they say that dispossessed would be rolled into a larger book, they don't actually reveal that level of information in these Q&As. Despite it being fairly obvious that they don't answer questions about specific releases, half of the questions at these events are "Will we get space marine bikes?" etc. It gets quite infuriating.

So they give us some vague ideas of long plans:

• This year (2019) there is still at least one release for each grand alliance.
  • Over the next few years, all existing factions will be covered by a battletome. In fairness, they haven't ruled out achieving this by removing a faction, I don't think.

Yeah it’s just what they said came out of the UK games expo preview, but if you were there too that fair enough :). Sounds a lot like what they said at Adepticon 

• Like 1

Yeah I think with that new fluff around Grungni getting back to business I think the Dispossessed will get renamed [hopefully they will be reclaiming/reforging their empire!].  I've collected dwarfs since 1st ed and I'd hate them to rolled in with humans. Its much more likely that will develop a distinctive new Grungni backed dwarf faction, with KO and Fyrselayers allied but separate. [I do love my KO]. But we definitely need our artillery back .. and maybe a mobile mining machine, the old juggernaught re imagined..

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Breaks-the-iron Mont said:

Dwarven brains trust! I have a burning question and i find myself singing... "when I find myself in times of trouble, father grungni comes to me, grumbling words of wisdom, grungni be. And when i need to know the appropriate citadel base size for my cannon, grungni grumbles patiently, there will be an answer, grungni be"

90x52

• Thanks 1