AoS 2 - Dispossessed Discussion

Chris Tomlin

1 hour ago, Verminlord said:

I'm ready, and I did my part. (Not pictured is 40 more warriors)

IMG_20190421_210436.jpg

Nice. I wanted to buy Warriors when they came back in stock last Thursday, but they sold out in one day before I could get paid. Bought some Gyrobombers to build instead 

Edited by Bladedwind
Spelling

1 minute ago, Bladedwind said:

Nice. I wanted to buy Warriors when they came back in stock last Thursday, but they sold out in one day before I could get paid. Bought some Gyrobombers to build instead 

Same here but I checked ebay first and got lucky. Found 30 warriors still on sprue on ebay for $40. 😁

Gyros are sweet models, I wish I had more!

• Like 1

Adding to the above comment about allies and old models. I have to lists buzzing around in my head lately. One based on the old skool dwarfs and one as a Dawi's combined grudge list. All comments are appreciated but it's more of hey, this is what I want to try out next ;) What's on your to do list?

Old Skool Dwarfs: 

Spoiler

Somewhere last year I saw somebody argue that by taking the Grudgebound warthrong gives a non situational re-roll and frees up Ironweld without a limit. It does limit you severely but I still want to try it one of these days. This is my take on that, will take some time by then for artefact selection. But any ideas are appreciated.

Allegiance: Order

LEADERS

Warden King (120) - General - Command Trait : Legendary Fighter - Artefact : Obstinate Blade 
Unforged (100) - Artefact : Quicksilver Potion
Runelord (100)
Cogsmith (100)

UNITS

10 x Warriors (80) - Axes or Hammers - Runic Icon
20 x Quarrellers (240) - Runic Icon
10 x Hammerers (160)
20 x Ironbreakers (280)
10 x Hammerers (160)

WAR MACHINES

Cannon (160)
Cannon (160)

BATTALIONS Grudgebound War Throng (170)
TOTAL: 1990/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1 WOUNDS: 118 LEADERS: 4/6 BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 0/4 ARTILLERY: 2/4 ARTEFACTS: 2/2 ALLIES: 0/400

Uniting the factions:

Spoiler

The idea here is just to get Dispossessed to be the anvil, KO as counter charge/cav, Ironweld for the long range and deep strike with some FyreSlayers. 

So that means: 

9 Skywardes  = 360

10 HearthGuard Bezerkers + RuneSmiter = 360

2 Cannons + Cogsmith = 420 

That leaves 860 for the anvil. 

Runelord 100

2x10 Warriors 160

20 Longbeards 200

20 Irondrakes 360 / 30 Quarrelers
(I do think Irondrakes will be better, sadly I personally don't own 20 Irondrakes. )

Alternatively I could be more aggressive with it and replace the Quarrellers with 20 Hammerers and a Navigator to hinder Units that try to fly over my lines (and have a hero of every faction present as well)

I think it would be a fun list to try out and captures some of my favourite units from every Dwarven line. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Kramer said:

Adding to the above comment about allies and old models. I have to lists buzzing around in my head lately. One based on the old skool dwarfs and one as a Dawi's combined grudge list. All comments are appreciated but it's more of hey, this is what I want to try out next ;) What's on your to do list?

Old Skool Dwarfs: 

Hide contents

Somewhere last year I saw somebody argue that by taking the Grudgebound warthrong gives a non situational re-roll and frees up Ironweld without a limit. It does limit you severely but I still want to try it one of these days. This is my take on that, will take some time by then for artefact selection. But any ideas are appreciated.

Allegiance: Order

LEADERS

Warden King (120) - General - Command Trait : Legendary Fighter - Artefact : Obstinate Blade 
Unforged (100) - Artefact : Quicksilver Potion
Runelord (100)
Cogsmith (100)

UNITS

20 x Quarrellers (240) - Runic Icon
10 x Hammerers (160)
20 x Ironbreakers (280)
10 x Hammerers (160)

WAR MACHINES

Cannon (160)
Cannon (160)

BATTALIONS Grudgebound War Throng (170)
TOTAL: 1990/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1 WOUNDS: 118 LEADERS: 4/6 BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 0/4 ARTILLERY: 2/4 ARTEFACTS: 2/2 ALLIES: 0/400

Uniting the factions:

Taking  the Grudgebound Warthrong and GA:O means you also have access to Tempest's Eye firestorm city rules, giving you an extra +2 move and +1 save on Turn one, meaning you can run your dawi 10" on turn one and try to get into position better. I ran a similar list to yours a few weeks ago except with 20x Irondrakes and 2 units of elf Reavers for objective jumping and it actually worked out really well.  gonna try one with the artillery instead of cavalry next time i play

it's even better against Chaos lol, my unforged did 8 wounds to a big rat abomination and killed him

Edited by ColsBols

7 hours ago, ColsBols said:

Taking  the Grudgebound Warthrong and GA:O means you also have access to Tempest's Eye firestorm city rules, giving you an extra +2 move and +1 save on Turn one, meaning you can run your dawi 10" on turn one and try to get into position better. I ran a similar list to yours a few weeks ago except with 20x Irondrakes and 2 units of elf Reavers for objective jumping and it actually worked out really well.  gonna try one with the artillery instead of cavalry next time i play

it's even better against Chaos lol, my unforged did 8 wounds to a big rat abomination and killed him

Oh snap while writing I thought about it but forgot to check the best fit! Good call. Yeah the unforged is such a funny hit and mis character. It’s should be more like the grimwrath bezerker to be sort its points but hey, if you have to include it... 

good call on the tempest eye! I’ll check it out and update them! 

Hmm looks like I need to get me some Irondrakes / Hammerers to up my offensive output. I played a couple of 1000pt games over the weekend but got absolutely smashed. 1st game was against Legions of Nagash which had Arkhan, necromancer, Wight king, skellies and black knights. No matter how many I killed they just kept coming back and I just got whittled down. 2nd game I played against Ironjaws and got completely destroyed by a Mawcrusha. I took out 2 units of brutes but a Mawcrusha just rampaged through my army, I got it down to 6 wounds. Didn't help that out of 6 cannon shots only 1 hit and it failed to wound. On a plus note a big unit of 20 Ironbreakers rerolling 1s to hit because of shoddy craftsmanship really beat the ****** out of Ironjaws brutes, I was impressed.

I might start trying to using warriors with 2H weapons instead of 1H weapons to up my output and maybe take more thunderers. I don't have any hammerers or Irondrakes at the moment, only warriors, longbeards, 2H miners (can be warriors or miners), ironbreakers and then lots of artillery. Would rather not have to spend more money.

Mainly been running dispossessed allegiance but I'm thinking of switching back to order to get in my artillery and engineer to compensate for not having Irondrakes or Hammerers.

1 hour ago, Zadolix said:

Irondrakes or Hammerers.

I find hammerers very good against elite and basic infantry, depending on the buff you put on them they can bog down units or be ultrakilly; the no-battleshock is brutal.

Irondakes do solve a lot of problems, they are champs at killing monsters (Sometimes you luck out the captain shots and waste the others 40...). Against both Legion of Nagash and Ironjaw where is crucial to take out the "resurrection command" and "the waagh enabler" they shine!

34 minutes ago, Furuzzolo said:

I find hammerers very good against elite and basic infantry, depending on the buff you put on them they can bog down units or be ultrakilly; the no-battleshock is brutal.

Irondakes do solve a lot of problems, they are champs at killing monsters (Sometimes you luck out the captain shots and waste the others 40...). Against both Legion of Nagash and Ironjaw where is crucial to take out the "resurrection command" and "the waagh enabler" they shine!

I’ll add to that in my experience it’s good to have both a melee and shooting hammer. Just the range on your shooting will give you board control, in the same manner having something that can hit hard as a counter attack unit, forces your opponent to make difficult choices if they try to alpha strike you. 

• Thanks 1

I’ve going through the warscrolls of each unit as they currently stand.  Are they any changes you guys would like to see?

I’ve got a very small suggestion for starters; give longbreads an extra attack.  This puts them on par with the other elite fighter units in the army and narrows that difference.  This way you get;

Ironbreakers; braver warriors with an extra attack and much higher durability.

Hammerers; braver warriors with an extra, more accurate attack, slightly better durability, and immunity to battle shock if near heroes.

Longbeards; braver warriors with an extra attack, slightly better durability and the area buff of grumbling.

That’s just for starters though.  I’ve got more but I’m working atm. :D

5 minutes ago, Arkanaut Admiral said:

I’ve going through the warscrolls of each unit as they currently stand.  Are they any changes you guys would like to see?

I’ve got a very small suggestion for starters; give longbreads an extra attack.  This puts them on par with the other elite fighter units in the army and narrows that difference.  This way you get;

Hammerers; braver warriors with an extra, more accurate attack, slightly better durability, and immunity to battle shock if near heroes.

Longbeards; braver warriors with an extra attack, slightly better durability and the area buff of grumbling.

I would completely rework Thunderers. As it stands, they don't compete with Irondrakes; it costs the same exact points to run 20 Drakes that it does to run 30 Thunderers, and running them at 20 means if you lose a single model their accuracy buff vanishes. Quarrelers have a similar issue, but at least they're better in melee and you get more OVERALL shots at a 30 man unit, so an arguement could be made.

I'd also like to see Warriors brought up to par and made slightly beefer. They have a 5+ save while donned in chailmail, which is the same save a bunch of half naked elves and snake ladies get, which makes no sense. 

Lastly, make Unforged NOT terrible. Maybe buff his saves value or give him a ward save of some kind?

One other overall thing I'd like to see is a way for us to deal mortals a TAD more often. 

1 hour ago, Bladedwind said:

I would completely rework Thunderers. As it stands, they don't compete with Irondrakes; it costs the same exact points to run 20 Drakes that it does to run 30 Thunderers, and running them at 20 means if you lose a single model their accuracy buff vanishes. Quarrelers have a similar issue, but at least they're better in melee and you get more OVERALL shots at a 30 man unit, so an arguement could be made.

I'd also like to see Warriors brought up to par and made slightly beefer. They have a 5+ save while donned in chailmail, which is the same save a bunch of half naked elves and snake ladies get, which makes no sense. 

Lastly, make Unforged NOT terrible. Maybe buff his saves value or give him a ward save of some kind?

One other overall thing I'd like to see is a way for us to deal mortals a TAD more often. 

Agree I think Thunderers just need a point reduction to 80-100pts with a discount for taking 30 (they have no discount at the moment)

I think Warriors should have 5+ save characteristic with their Duardin shields granting them +1 to their save rolls in the combat phase (both friendly and enemy) and still grant the shield wall skill. That way they would be tougher in combat but not against missiles but also not be an autotake over ironbreakers who ignore the -1 rend from gromril.

45 minutes ago, eciu said:

Better armor for dwarf heroes (2+ for Warden King? 3+ for Runelord).

Warden King should definitely be 3+, a 4+ rerollable and doesn't ignore rend is squisher than the Ironbreakers which doesn't make sense for a King.

8 hours ago, Arkanaut Admiral said:

Make every heavy armored dwarf(irombreaker,hammerer,longbeard,irondrake) 2wounds

Make that our shields work vs rangued attack and not only melle

Put a 4++ to ironbreakers

Irondrakes get the rangue up to 24"

Dwarfking get the useless hability that have changued to some as inmune battlesok or something more usefull,also get a 4++ and one time per game double number of attacks(as belegar warscroll)

Unforged need a 4++ and some form of deep strike or hide in units to be viable,also a cost of 60-80

Also a warlord trait that when our general is killed every dwarf gain 1 attack is cool(thorim have it and it is cool)

Hi lads! I'm going to test this list, next week. I want to know your opinion about a couple of things; #1 who should carry the pickaxe, #2 axe or pike on the hearthguard?

The idea behind the list is a double teleport objective game, simple and solid ;)

Allegiance: Dispossessed
Warden King (120)
- General
Runelord (100)
Runelord (100)
Auric Runesmiter (120)
- Runic Iron
- Allies
30 x Hammerers (420)
30 x Ironbreakers (360)
20 x Warriors (160)
- Axes or Hammers
20 x Irondrakes (360)
10 x Hearthguard Berzerkers (240)
- Broadaxes
- Allies

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 360 / 400
Wounds: 140

On #1 matter, Runelord to me.

Can buff with +1 Rend on the unit that TP with him and do little miracles I think with Irondrakes, Hammerers, Quarrelers...

It can also be useful to have some dispell lads across the field.

Warden King is too valuable in order to hold the line to send him across the map.

On #2 :

I don't play Fyreslayers, so... Dunno. :D

In any cases, good luck to you !

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Furuzzolo said:

Hi lads! I'm going to test this list, next week. I want to know your opinion about a couple of things; #1 who should carry the pickaxe, #2 axe or pike on the hearthguard?

The idea behind the list is a double teleport objective game, simple and solid ;)

Allegiance: Dispossessed
Warden King (120)
- General
Runelord (100)
Runelord (100)
Auric Runesmiter (120)
- Runic Iron
- Allies
30 x Hammerers (420)
30 x Ironbreakers (360)
20 x Warriors (160)
- Axes or Hammers
20 x Irondrakes (360)
10 x Hearthguard Berzerkers (240)
- Broadaxes
- Allies

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 360 / 400
Wounds: 140

#1 runelord for me as well. You want that warden king on field to hero phase target something, pick axe up, shoot. If possible of course. 

#2 I’m going for axes on mine so I can use the old daemon slayers mainly. But from a gameplay I would also go axes. Even if you get all of them in turn 1. You average 3 sixes. Compare that with the 2 damage and most importantly -1 rend. I think that wins but haven’t played them so I’m not the best one the judge. 

Also really like your list! I might just give it a go if I get an extra game in somewhere 👍

Edited by Kramer
  • Thanks 1

Just played in an ITC tournament today. 3 losses, 1 win. Match ups were Idoneth Deepkin, Skaven, and Legions of Nagash.

Lost the first one to the fairly strong deepstrike eels before I could really mive (block of 20 Ironbreakers died in one turn) and it went downhill)

Skaven was partially my fault. He played a heavy Skyre build, and I was hesitant to run when I should have.

With Legions I actually capped and held all objectives. Biggest MVPs there were my two Gyrobombers

5 hours ago, Bladedwind said:

Just played in an ITC tournament today. 3 losses, 1 win. Match ups were Idoneth Deepkin, Skaven, and Legions of Nagash.

Lost the first one to the fairly strong deepstrike eels before I could really mive (block of 20 Ironbreakers died in one turn) and it went downhill)

Skaven was partially my fault. He played a heavy Skyre build, and I was hesitant to run when I should have.

With Legions I actually capped and held all objectives. Biggest MVPs there were my two Gyrobombers

Two Gyrobomber? List list list!

8 hours ago, Furuzzolo said:

Two Gyrobomber? List list list!

As you wish! I've posted it a few times in variation so here we go!

Warden Kingx1 120 (Trait Resilient, 1 extra wound)

Runelord x1 100 (Anestral Pickaxe)

Runelordx1 100

Runelordx1 100

Warriorsx30 240 (Two handed axes and shields)

Ironbreakersx20 280

Hammerersx30 420

Longbeardsx10 100

Irondrakesx20 360

Gyrobombersx2 160

I found that casting our ward save on units such as the Wartiors and Ironbreakers is far morr effective thr Rend. Even though the Warriors get get minus 2 rend, having them survive and tarpit works much better. The Ironbreakers s a Runelord held Nagash in place for three whole turns before the Ironbreakers died, and even then the Runelord held until the endgame.

The Gyrobombers came into play when he charged them and failed to kill them. Instead of fighting, I rsn away through his units and took the objective on his side of the field, followed by a charge from my Warriors into his unit. 

• LOVE IT! 2

2 hours ago, Bladedwind said:

As you wish! I've posted it a few times in variation so here we go!

Warden Kingx1 120 (Trait Resilient, 1 extra wound)

Runelord x1 100 (Anestral Pickaxe)

Runelordx1 100

Runelordx1 100

Warriorsx30 240 (Two handed axes and shields)

Ironbreakersx20 280

Hammerersx30 420

Longbeardsx10 100

Irondrakesx20 360

Gyrobombersx2 160

I found that casting our ward save on units such as the Wartiors and Ironbreakers is far morr effective thr Rend. Even though the Warriors get get minus 2 rend, having them survive and tarpit works much better. The Ironbreakers s a Runelord held Nagash in place for three whole turns before the Ironbreakers died, and even then the Runelord held until the endgame.

The Gyrobombers came into play when he charged them and failed to kill them. Instead of fighting, I rsn away through his units and took the objective on his side of the field, followed by a charge from my Warriors into his unit. 

A good eye opener. I 'always' go for rend because I feel I need to compensate the relatively lackluster output. But maybe you're right. Play, and double, to our strengths. Holding space, until the end of the game. 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kramer said:

I found that casting our ward save on units such as the Wartiors and Ironbreakers is far morr effective thr Rend

A couple of pages back i posted a report where 40 warriors on mystical with the ward save killed 15 orruk brutes! They are a brick!

Well done!

• Thanks 2

Same I tend to go for rend as well, I think it depends what you are fighting. I fight Legions of Nagash a lot and without rend things like skeletons go from having no save to a 5+ save, thats a big deal when they get 6+ deathless minion save on top of that. If you don't knock them down fast they just keep coming back.

Against Slaanesh though I always go ancestral shield because of the volume of attacks.

• Like 1

Hello to all the Longbeards! I have finally bought into Dispossessed with the Tempest Eye box (such a good value!) and I will most likely pick up one or two more. As a long time lover of all things Dwarf I can't wait to get them on the table top.

And a side note, I did my part on the Community Survey (Dispossessed Battletome please!)

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 2