AoS 2 - Dispossessed Discussion

Chris Tomlin

So, my birthday just passed and of course I ended up with a bunch of GW vouchers and I was thinking about the direction I want to go in and while thinking back, I remember that the first box I bought was Dispossessed. That led me to think how cool it would be to go back to that now that I have a few armies under my belt and a few years of gaming experience. So I am starting on the bandwagon! This was my thought for the first 1000pts. I really want to head in the direction of more armoured units so I am trying to limit myself to 40 Warriors and then build out from there. 

Allegiance: Dispossessed

Leaders
Warden King (120)
- General
- Trait: Grudgebearer 
Runelord (100)
- Artefact: Ancestral Pickaxe 

Battleline
20 x Warriors (160)
- Double-handed Duardin Axes & Shields
20 x Warriors (160)
10 x Longbeards (100)
- Great Axes & Shields
10 x Hammerers (160)

Units
10 x Irondrakes (180)

Total: 980 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 80

What would be the best direction from here? Should I opt for 40 Warriors over 2 units of 20? Also, should I drop the Hammerers for now and have a bigger unit of Irondrakes?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Furuzzolo said:

In Overlords of the Iron Dragon the main Frigate (Iron Dragon) and the 2 frigates fight aerial battle against a whole lot of things and Duardins shoot from all 3 the decks :S

In Soul Wars an entire clan of Duardin live in Glymmsforge (not even one of the great city) and help in the I-don't-want-to-spoiler-"fight" so I assume that clans living in cities or near generic cities are a thing. That do imply that fighting alongside humans and stormcast is way more common than allying with Kharadon and Fyreslayers. I mean, if we do live in tandem with humans having lost our strongholds in the Age of Chaos the background lore do not support our allegiance rules.

By the way I don't really care, to me till the book is out the lore is like a primer, it's ok if it is a bit confuses right now.

The first bit is exactly what I meant with my comment. ‘Although it doesn’t line up with the books’. 🙃

the second part I don’t really agree with. I do think I get what your saying but the glymmforge dwarfs were a local dispossessed clan that was hired to help reclaim the location. In which the coalition will or will not end up being successful. All the while the inferno story about an affair within a dispossessed hold describes them as a race that fortified itself away from the big cities with only dwarfs living there. Which matches more small snippets describing dispossessed holds surviving the age of chaos.

Although I agree the lore is still vague but the lore also allies Ironjawz with stormcast. That doesn’t mean so often they should be able to do so in game. Also would be interesting to see what happens more in the lore KO allying in or outside dispossessed clans? Duardin living in the free cities absolutely. But from their own holds?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mclargehuge said:

So, my birthday just passed and of course I ended up with a bunch of GW vouchers and I was thinking about the direction I want to go in and while thinking back, I remember that the first box I bought was Dispossessed. That led me to think how cool it would be to go back to that now that I have a few armies under my belt and a few years of gaming experience. So I am starting on the bandwagon! This was my thought for the first 1000pts. I really want to head in the direction of more armoured units so I am trying to limit myself to 40 Warriors and then build out from there. 

Leaders
Warden King (120)
- General
Runelord (100)

Battleline
20 x Warriors (160)
20 x Warriors (160)
10 x Longbeards (100)
- Great Axes & Shields
10 x Hammerers (160)

Units
10 x Irondrakes (180)

What would be the best direction from here? Should I opt for 40 Warriors over 2 units of 20? Also, should I drop the Hammerers for now and have a bigger unit of Irondrakes?

You have a very solid batch of duardins! Yeah, drop the 10 hammerers at 1000 and go to 20 irondrakes, should be better.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mclargehuge said:

Leaders
Warden King (120)
- General
Runelord (100)

Battleline
20 x Warriors (160)
20 x Warriors (160)
10 x Longbeards (100)
- Great Axes & Shields
10 x Hammerers (160)

Units
10 x Irondrakes (180)

I would probably drop the hammerers unless you want to run them as 20. At 10 the unit loses it's hitting power quite quickly after a few casualties.

If you make your warriors unit a big unit of 40 they will be able to reroll all wounds in the enemy combat phase for quite some times and also get a 40pt discount.

That would leave you 200pts to play with, an organ gun and gunmaster could be fun?

• Like 2

We already have 2 duardin elite army, sadly. Sadly cause fyreslayers ended up the opposite, spamming vulkite berzerkerz.

KO and Slayers should be elite army and i think the new slayers tome is going to fix that. Dispo are the horde legacy-style duardin army. That said our units are fairly elite stats-wise(even warriors) for horde standards! 

Edited by Furuzzolo

16 hours ago, Furuzzolo said:

You have a very solid batch of duardins! Yeah, drop the 10 hammerers at 1000 and go to 20 irondrakes, should be better.

Thanks. I was leaning that way but I was being swayed by awesome armoured Dwarves. Will save them for when I can field a big unit. 

15 hours ago, Zadolix said:

I would probably drop the hammerers unless you want to run them as 20. At 10 the unit loses it's hitting power quite quickly after a few casualties.

If you make your warriors unit a big unit of 40 they will be able to reroll all wounds in the enemy combat phase for quite some times and also get a 40pt discount.

That would leave you 200pts to play with, an organ gun and gunmaster could be fun?

Yeh, true about the Hammerers. I think my main concern was only have one big block of 40 and then one small unit of 10 on the field. Could make surviving tough if they focus on the warriors, but then again I should trust the toughness of a dwarf. An organ gun would be lots of fun. 

Greetings fellow grudgebound!

i got Battle For Skull Pass for Christmas and went with Duardin and finally am getting around to turning it into a proper army with the discovery that a buddy had a full Dwarf Battalion box new on sprue.

heres what I have so far, what do I need to round out? What’s more important judging from this list, more hammerers or ironbreakers?

42 warriors 

10 thunderers; 16 more unbuilt ? Ranged units 

14 hammerers 

18 miners I’m gonna run as long beards 

10 ironbreakers 

20 irondrakes 

warden king

2 runelords 

unforged

2 cannon

organ gun

cogsmith 

9 minutes ago, ColsBols said:

more hammerers or ironbreakers?

10 Ironbreaker could be good, 10 hammerers are goofy.

Both units shine at 30 tho but I would field at least 20 hammerers... I have a soft spot for them 😌

Lately I'm very happy with a 10 man screen of thunderers, just as a note for you lads.

Edited by Furuzzolo

1 hour ago, Furuzzolo said:

10 Ironbreaker could be good, 10 hammerers are goofy.

Both units shine at 30 tho but I would field at least 20 hammerers... I have a soft spot for them 😌

Lately I'm very happy with a 10 man screen of thunderers, just as a note for you lads.

You use thunderers as a screen? Interesting, I tend to screen my thunderers with warriors / ironbreakers so that they continue shooting outside of melee.

41 minutes ago, Zadolix said:

You use thunderers as a screen? Interesting, I tend to screen my thunderers with warriors / ironbreakers so that they continue shooting outside of melee.

The same I used to do! Lately I'm fond on this 10 man shooting screen, you always find an use for this 10 chaps...

Kinda like on the style of archers for free people (I know, they move after deploy and thunderers do not) but having a ranged strategic unit that can screen, steal 2-3 wounds while camping a far objective or simply be annoying is kinda valuable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Furuzzolo said:

The same I used to do! Lately I'm fond on this 10 man shooting screen, you always find an use for this 10 chaps...

Kinda like on the style of archers for free people (I know, they move after deploy and thunderers do not) but having a ranged strategic unit that can screen, steal 2-3 wounds while camping a far objective or simply be annoying is kinda valuable.

I never thought of that, but just looking at them, it seems like a really good idea they don't loose out on shooting while in combat at 10 and with rend -1 they are a good stand alone unit. I'll try that tactic out when I get a chance.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dammaz said:

I'll try that too, I tend to overuse my Quarrellers and never think about those lads.

Also, I'll try to use a bunch of miners *10 + a cart, and see how it goes. I think it could be a good "annoying" unit.

I found them actually quite good, don't allocate wounds to the cart to keep it alive so that the unit has blasting charges, those things are nasty each turn! 

I had a thought about the duardin.  Does anyone remember the Squats of epic and their massive land trains?  

Maybe, just maybe, the duardin should get more fantastical steam punk versions of these?  Could it be supported by the fluff?  

See, they could be a mixture of established karaks and ‘caravans’ looking to retake old/build new ones.  Caravans made up of big steam trains.

1 hour ago, Zadolix said:

I found them actually quite good, don't allocate wounds to the cart to keep it alive so that the unit has blasting charges, those things are nasty each turn! 

How do you play them ?

Only 10 of them, or more ?

3 minutes ago, Dammaz said:

How do you play them ?

Only 10 of them, or more ?

I've only tried 10 so far in small points games but they were fun. I used them to attack an objective an opponent was holding. They didn't want to leave the objective so I was able to move up and throw the charges and then charge into combat with the pick axes. The steam drill was excellent when it hit. 

7 hours ago, Arkanaut Admiral said:

I had a thought about the duardin.  Does anyone remember the Squats of epic and their massive land trains?  

Maybe, just maybe, the duardin should get more fantastical steam punk versions of these?  Could it be supported by the fluff?  

See, they could be a mixture of established karaks and ‘caravans’ looking to retake old/build new ones.  Caravans made up of big steam trains.

The Chaos Dwarfs (whatever in hell they're called now- Legion of Azgorh ) have a train.  A big train. 

• Like 1

I’m kinda throwing ideas out there to see what sticks.  It’s important that they don’t tred too much on the toes of the others in terms of ideas, if that makes sense.

With that in mind btw, I really think that it could be time to see duardin cavalry...or possibly chariots.  That would be very different to what the others have.

• Like 1

With new terrain pieces appearing for each faction and with us being experts in building fortifications I'd like to see a rule that similarly shows how skilled we are at dismantling fortifications too, a rule that lets us actually remove enemy terrain that has the SCENERY keyword could be really fun. Smash those loonshrines and herdstones to pieces!

Edited by Zadolix
  • Like 1

Additions such as cavalry take us away from who we are. Yes, we need some mobility for all the objective based scenarios. The two things which are in keeping with our  lore are tunnelers/miners/tunneling machines and the golems so prominent in the Warhammer literature. Do those up properly and we can compete while remaining true to the aethos.