AoS 2 - Dispossessed Discussion

Chris Tomlin

14 minutes ago, AlmGandix3 said:

Sadly Gryph-Hound's can now only be bought in packs (so more points) and they only work for stormcast now. 

There was another list of dispossessed that placed pretty high on a tournament. I think it was 7th place.

Allegiance: Dispossessed

Warden King (General, Grudgebearer)
Warden King
Runelord (Ancestral Pickaxe)
Celestant-Prime (Ally)

10 Longbeards (Great Axes and Shields)
10 Longbeards (Great Axes and Shields)
40 Warriors (Runic Icon, Double-handed Axes and Shields)
30 Ironbreakers
20 Irondrakes

You can use two handed weapons together with shields, both for warriors and longboards.

Do you just model the Shields’s on the back of the models?

6 hours ago, Wargamergunnar said:

What weapons would you give the longbeards and the normal warriors? I’m thinkg two handed great axes just based off of rend and looks. 

Deff Two handed axes + shields. Gamewise the best. Unless you really dislike the shields on their back/hip of course :D 

11 hours ago, Ragnar Alpaca said:

Also I guess I’m the only one that hopes the warriors/thunderers/quarrellers stay? I agree they are aging, but overall I think they look ok, and if they all got removed than I think we would be missing some cool units. 

I don't mind their battlefield role, although they are not really exciting to me, but they don't look unified compared to the more elite. It's more a unified look than anything. And in that case I'd prefer the gromgril encased dwarfs.

Heh, I'm still rocking the skull pass warriors and thunderers and miners! There is a certain charm to them. But I do think warriors and thunderers will stick around as battleline for years to come to be honest just like the moonclan grots box. The warriors/thunderers boxes are still pretty good kits with some decent customisation options to be fair. I made longbeards out of the warrior kit from before plastic longbeards were a thing and when metal ones had gone kaput, you used to only be able to make longbeards out of the plastic kit. I put shields on their backs and gave each one faceplate armour, plus one smoking his pipe and holding the standard while grumbling about how weedy grots are these days!

• Like 2

I honestly still can't decide if the older dwarf plastics need retired or not.  They are serviceable, with all options available, but I'm wondering if the viking dwarf look is a bit played out by now.  Call me 50/50.

If they aren't retired, they need to bump the sets up to 20 models for sure.  Actually, if they did that, and returned the Anvil Of Doom, a Lord on a big chair, and a few other units, we'd be battletome ready!  And the dwarven units of the Ironweld Arsenal?  Return them to us as well?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Kramer said:

Deff Two handed axes + shields. Gamewise the best. Unless you really dislike the shields on their back/hip of course :D 

I don't mind their battlefield role, although they are not really exciting to me, but they don't look unified compared to the more elite. It's more a unified look than anything. And in that case I'd prefer the gromgril encased dwarfs.

Same here. I despise the pseudo-Viking horned helmets (spoiler, Vikings never had horned helmets).

I‘d also like the whole range to be clad in gromril plus granting them more energetic and dynamic poses.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Walrustaco said:

Maybe we could get Gotrek as a special character? With the dispossessed and fyreslayer keywords

Gotrek would be interesting, but the unforged/Slayer model is almost too Fyreslayer to continue being a thing in Dispossessed.

Heretical as it is, I think we have enough dwarf infantry as it is. I wouldn't mind just a few hero options to go with Warden king and Rune smith, then just take it in a cool direction for the elites/centre piece. Maybe not golems, but something building/creation related. Plays too well with the idea of Dispossessed being a race in decline/ the true civilization builder race.

Edit: Grammar 

Edited by Shankelton
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Shankelton said:

Gotrek would be interesting, but the unforged/Slayer model is almost too Fyreslayer to continue being a thing in Dispossessed.

Nah, don't you know it's official White Dwarf model ? ^^

12 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

I‘d also like the whole range to be clad in gromril plus granting them more energetic and dynamic poses.

As could it could be, the stormcasts have much better resiliance due to various armor buffs. 

It would be cool if gromril armor just gave "enemy rend is 1 point less effective up to 0" instead of just "ignore rend if it is -1".

Also those shield actually should have something alongside Chaos Warrios of ward against MW (again it's even named properly "Runic Shields"). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eciu said:

Nah, don't you know it's official White Dwarf model ? ^^

As could it could be, the stormcasts have much better resiliance due to various armor buffs. 

It would be cool if gromril armor just gave "enemy rend is 1 point less effective up to 0" instead of just "ignore rend if it is -1".

Also those shield actually should have something alongside Chaos Warrios of ward against MW (again it's even named properly "Runic Shields"). 

gromril should reduce rend by 1.
Mastercrafted gromril should reduce rend by 2
Shieldwall should be usable after running.

2 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

gromril should reduce rend by 1.
Mastercrafted gromril should reduce rend by 2
Shieldwall should be usable after running.

I think is good (and i like) the martal idea behind the ignore -1. They are better crafted and rune engraved then the simple -1 rend weapon the enemy wield. So they ignore that rend!

I like Dispossessed rule set cause it tries to keep the lore and "duardiness" consistent. Lessen the rend by one i imagine a magical weapon feat more then a mastercrafted runeblessed duardin work.... 

The shieldwall rune is very inconsistent and i'm on board with that but i like the idea behind the current gromril shield! Remember that rule balance without fluff for only copetitive sake make for very flat armies.

In chess do you care more for black pieces or white pieces? To me they are identical. 

Edited by Furuzzolo

44 minutes ago, Ironbreaker said:

Here's a better look at all the ruins we know of.

1547244933831.png

While I was already stoked to read the lore for the Gitz, I am even MORE stoked to see if there is any solid references to anything duardin. I know a skyport was overrun by Grots, but any other stories that rekindles the old Dwarf v. Greenskin rivalry will be a fun read.

All this hopes got me thinking about mechanics and niches.

Nighthaunt have tons of flying and cancel out rend.
KO are built to Alpha, and hit hard at range (Atcleast in design)
Fyreslayers don't die
Ironjawz hit things real, real hard.

Everyone has a theme. What do you all want to see in a Disposessed theme? Weakness' and strengths. 

Personally, I picked up Dwarves because I wanted a real Beta Strike army. I want to be able to absorb charges, and hit back where it matters. I want range options, but not to be forced into only playing the ranged game.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Shankelton said:

All this hopes got me thinking about mechanics and niches.

Nighthaunt have tons of flying and cancel out rend.
KO are built to Alpha, and hit hard at range (Atcleast in design)
Fyreslayers don't die
Ironjawz hit things real, real hard.

Everyone has a theme. What do you all want to see in a Disposessed theme? Weakness' and strengths. 

Personally, I picked up Dwarves because I wanted a real Beta Strike army. I want to be able to absorb charges, and hit back where it matters. I want range options, but not to be forced into only playing the ranged game.

Then I'm still shouting my concept in the hope GW picks it up, but..

So My dream is still, heavily armoured dwarfs, think ironbraekers, irondrakes etc. Drop everything who wears a shirt. Add a mining unit as the new battle line. Again heavily armoured. A close range flamer shooting unit which usually clears hallways with flame, make it a double kit with maybe a long range ‘sniper’ kind of unit. No artillery, cause how often you doing that underground?

Keep the slow thing but Dispossessed only fight when they want to. So play wise; Lots of deep striking/mining options followed by a slow march if you need to reposition. Keeping with that theme: the allegiance ability should not be about being faster yourself but slowing the other down. So D3+1 cave in markers could be placed after set up. 9" long movement blockers. All blocking movement, maybe with a master miner as a character who lets you add another at turn two due to his excellent foresight and skill. 

Backed up with a grudge and rune system for traits and abilities and i’d Be a very happy man. 

Only thing I’m missing would be a bigger centrepiece model. So maybe the rumoured clockwork golems could be good for that? Or rather a mini cogfort. Also an anvil really exemplifies Dispossessed in my mind, plus I missed the re-run so I want one of those ;) 

• Thanks 3

34 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Keep the slow thing but Dispossessed only fight when they want to. So play wise; Lots of deep striking/mining options followed by a slow march if you need to reposition. 

Between all the suggestions i like your one the most! We are master crafters and miners, some marker "endless spells like" like trenches, minefield or some terrains interactions during the games. We prepare our battlefield and wage war on our terms.

A lot of strategy in the positioning of the markers and a lot of play, counterplay and interactions for the opponent i think make for good games.

I think every duardin subfactions should have a theme, KO craft endringthings, fyreslayers rune enhanced bodies + berserkers, i'd like to see "crafts" or a more devotions and traditions for Dispossesses...so a centerpiece models should reflect that, i guess. 

• Thanks 3