AoS 2 - Dispossessed Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Well, I went back on what I said about the sold out thing, but over in the rumor thread, they are showing pictures of all the sold out grots, and there is a more or less guaranteed grot release on the horizon. Got me thinking again. Not a more legendary match up than Duardin and grots... 

• Like 4

So I've recently came into some Dispossessed for Christmas. It was a surprise, for sure. I already have a large KO force and I love me some dorfs. So I figured why not. So far I don't have much. A Runelord, 20 warriors, 10 Irondrakes and 10 Ironbreakers. Seems hard to find Longbeards, but they're next. I reckon that's pretty close to 1000pts on its own. 

To get to 2k, what do you guys think? I sort of want to run a grand order list so I can use my KO and possibly throw some Fyreslayers in there as well, but I'm not too sure how they all mesh well. No keyword match and all that. But it's very thematic. 

Are organ guns good? I know they need an engineer baby sitter. But they seem kinda ridiculous. Up to 4d6 shots is nothing to sniff at for 120pts. Cannons seem good too, but it's a shame about the ally limit.

Is the Dispossessed Allegiance worth taking, really? What about one of the Firestorm Allegiances, instead? 

14 minutes ago, RaritanAnon said:

So I've recently came into some Dispossessed for Christmas. It was a surprise, for sure. I already have a large KO force and I love me some dorfs. So I figured why not. So far I don't have much. A Runelord, 20 warriors, 10 Irondrakes and 10 Ironbreakers. Seems hard to find Longbeards, but they're next. I reckon that's pretty close to 1000pts on its own. 

To get to 2k, what do you guys think? I sort of want to run a grand order list so I can use my KO and possibly throw some Fyreslayers in there as well, but I'm not too sure how they all mesh well. No keyword match and all that. But it's very thematic. 

Are organ guns good? I know they need an engineer baby sitter. But they seem kinda ridiculous. Up to 4d6 shots is nothing to sniff at for 120pts. Cannons seem good too, but it's a shame about the ally limit.

Is the Dispossessed Allegiance worth taking, really? What about one of the Firestorm Allegiances, instead? 

First of all let me say I’m not a fan of KO, their models look great but they’re not great rules imo. Combining already not great armies and therefore losing the few rules they have isn’t great. Also if you take and Order list you’re going to lose out on the pickaxe artifact for the dispossessed. 

3 minutes ago, Ragnar Alpaca said:

First of all let me say I’m not a fan of KO, their models look great but they’re not great rules imo. Combining already not great armies and therefore losing the few rules they have isn’t great. Also if you take and Order list you’re going to lose out on the pickaxe artifact for the dispossessed. 

That's fine, they're fun enough for me. So you think a full Dispossessed force would be better? Tunneling Fyreslayers would be a good ally choice at 2k probably. We play a lot of 1k at my store though. Will probably go with this list for now, as a sort of all comers thing. 

Allegiance: Dispossessed
- Grudge: Shoddy Craftsmanship
Warden King (120)
- General
- Trait: Grudgebearer 
Runelord (100)
- Artefact: Ancestral Pickaxe 
Gunmaster (80) (he's a Dwarf shhh) 
- Allies
20 x Warriors (160)
- Double-handed Duardin Axes & Shields
10 x Longbeards (100) (if I can bloody find them) 
- Great Axes & Shields
10 x Ironbreakers (140)
10 x Irondrakes (180)
Organ Gun (120)
- Allies

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 200 / 200
Wounds: 69

10 minutes ago, RaritanAnon said:

That's fine, they're fun enough for me. So you think a full Dispossessed force would be better? Tunneling Fyreslayers would be a good ally choice at 2k probably. We play a lot of 1k at my store though. Will probably go with this list for now, as a sort of all comers thing. 

Allegiance: Dispossessed
- Grudge: Shoddy Craftsmanship
Warden King (120)
- General
- Trait: Grudgebearer 
Runelord (100)
- Artefact: Ancestral Pickaxe 
Gunmaster (80) (he's a Dwarf shhh) 
- Allies
20 x Warriors (160)
- Double-handed Duardin Axes & Shields
10 x Longbeards (100) (if I can bloody find them) 
- Great Axes & Shields
10 x Ironbreakers (140)
10 x Irondrakes (180)
Organ Gun (120)
- Allies

Allies: 200 / 200
Wounds: 69

Looks like a good list to me, why not proxy the cogsmith as the gunmaster? He is a dwarf.

have you had much success btw with KO? If so what’s your list(s).

15 minutes ago, Ragnar Alpaca said:

Looks like a good list to me, why not proxy the cogsmith as the gunmaster? He is a dwarf.

have you had much success btw with KO? If so what’s your list(s).

That was the plan. I have the old dwarf engineer model, so I just use him as the engineer. I've won like a good 80% of my 1k lists with my KO. Beyond that, I kinda suck. Here's the list I usually use.  Admiral provides battleshock immunity. Khemist buffs the hooks and abuses privateers. Riggers provide objective support. 

Allegiance: Kharadron Overlords
Skyport: Barak-Mhornar
- Additional Footnote: There's No Trading With Some People
Aether-Khemist (160)
- General
- Trait: Opportunistic Privateers 
Arkanaut Admiral (120)
- Artefact: Aethersight Loupe 
20 x Arkanaut Company (240)
- 6x Light Skyhooks
20 x Arkanaut Company (240)
- 6x Aethermatic Volley Guns
6 x Endrinriggers (240)

Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 63

But this is a Dispossessed thread lol. So all I need is Longbeards, a King, Organ gun and the Engineer 

7 hours ago, RaritanAnon said:

Allegiance: Kharadron Overlords

I run a very similar KO but with Urbaz and 9 riggers, -10 company!

Very good one.

The Dispossessed list looks solid to me, an army i would play...not the most competitive 1k, tho.  We don't care about competitive lists 🍻

Question. Hopefully we don't lose access to cannons and the like, but what opinions would y'all have about running Celestar Balista if I'm dead set or insisting on running some for of artillery? And in a 2k list would that leave me room to squeeze in either a Lord Ordinator or a mage? Or is it better to just run multiple bolt throwers?

12 hours ago, Ragnar Alpaca said:

I think it’s the opposite actually 🤔

KO don’t have any solid line infantry, they fold if they get charged. Dispossessed are solid but have no mobility.  Combine them both, or use them as allies one way or the other, and you can get a solid force that can strike out for objectives. Certainly a force no worse then either on its own at least. 

• Like 1

I remember someone doing the math behind the stormcast ballista, i dislike the aestetic of stormcast but i guess you can get some answer in their discussion! Just ask them the efficient combination for 400 points of ballista and ordinator. (If i recall correctly it's better 2 ballistae and no Lord)

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Furuzzolo said:

I remember someone doing the math behind the stormcast ballista, i dislike the aestetic of stormcast but i guess you can get some answer in their discussion! Just ask them the efficient combination for 400 points of ballista and ordinator. (If i recall correctly it's better 2 ballistae and no Lord)

Didn't do the math myself but yes that's the conclusion that keeps propping up. 

1 hour ago, stato said:

KO don’t have any solid line infantry, they fold if they get charged. Dispossessed are solid but have no mobility.  Combine them both, or use them as allies one way or the other, and you can get a solid force that can strike out for objectives. Certainly a force no worse then either on its own at least. 

Agreed, don't go ships though. that's to much effort. But a Khemist 160 with 6 Endrinriggers 240, fits nicely. Is fast and if you get the buff off the same turn you charge, has a very high damage potential. The Kemist minus 1 to attacks and its short range shooting attacks mean you can happily move him forwards as well. 

Edited by Kramer

1 hour ago, stato said:

I said this because you lose the allegiance abilities of both. Might be personal preference idk. I definitely agree that they can be speedy allies though. 

Ok so, that's some wild braintrip and speculation:

Recently GW grouped faction in the shop and i said that could be a good pics for the future to come. Now they spoil a "Grot+Troll united tome" just like the shop groping.

step 1: Ok, so my prevision could be true

step 2: Oh s**t, the ironweld is in Free People, now...no more artillery.

And then the step 3: If we can ally Free People LoN style battletome we could ally wizards...we cannot ally wizards, that could mess with the lore and the prayers and the power level of the army (imagine the luminark or the hurricanum)

Finally the step 4: What IF they're going to give us NEW artillery, a Dispossessed one ?! If we get the BoC, LoN, Grots service we're gonna get some new models...we have infantry, we miss named, behemot and artillery (ruling out the Ironweld)

Do you think my logic flow or are we get to ally with free people?

4 minutes ago, Furuzzolo said:

Ok so, that's some wild braintrip and speculation:

Recently GW grouped faction in the shop and i said that could be a good pics for the future to come. Now they spoil a "Grot+Troll united tome" just like the shop groping.

step 1: Ok, so my prevision could be true

step 2: Oh s**t, the ironweld is in Free People, now...no more artillery.

And then the step 3: If we can ally Free People LoN style battletome we could ally wizards...we cannot ally wizards, that could mess with the lore and the prayers and the power level of the army (imagine the luminark or the hurricanum)

Finally the step 4: What IF they're going to give us NEW artillery, a Dispossessed one ?! If we get the BoC, LoN, Grots service we're gonna get some new models...we have infantry, we miss named, behemot and artillery (ruling out the Ironweld)

Do you think my logic flow or are we get to ally with free people?

If we get placed in a free cities battletome we better get options to play by ourselves, that’s all I’m going to say. Or I will be the first in this thread to start the fanmade Dispossessed battletome. 

Honestly thinking that’s whats going to happen though, but I’m still hopeful we get a couple new models. Don’t think we won’t be able to use our own war machines. 

• Sad 1

Surely we'll keep the option to use our 'Dispossessed' allegiance? I love the idea of new models but what new artillery could they come out with for us? Maybe a new model for old compendium artillery like the grudge thrower? Idk.

I love dwarfen artillery and hope we still have options. Otherwise I'll be trying to find a realistic way to pack as many Thunderers into one army as possible :D

It's going to have to be a reimagining. All new armies have been a bit of the old, but a new twist and theme that works with the new lore. So let's set aside the ideas we had of the dwarves of old and think about what direction they could take us...  Artillery, oddly, seems out, otherwise it would have been put in Dispossessed. Maybe steam suits? That would seem off, since we don't lack staying power, but rather mobility. Steam bikes? Lol

Edited by Hallgeir

1 hour ago, Hallgeir said:

It's going to have to be a reimagining. All new armies have been a bit of the old, but a new twist and theme that works with the new lore. So let's set aside the ideas we had of the dwarves of old and think about what direction they could take us...  Artillery, oddly, seems out, otherwise it would have been put in Dispossessed. Maybe steam suits? That would seem off, since we don't lack staying power, but rather mobility. Steam bikes? Lol

I'm not sure any of that would fit. Steam suits and sinilar vehicles are already done by Kharadron, and the Dispossessed theme is "tradition", AKA old school. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bladedwind said:

I'm not sure any of that would fit. Steam suits and sinilar vehicles are already done by Kharadron, and the Dispossessed theme is "tradition", AKA old school. 

I'm with you on this, but would add 'grudges' to that. Yes, all dwarves hold grudges, but none like the dispossessed. 

The most obvious line of expansion (story-wise at least) would be a reclamation crusade of the  lost holds, so a grudge-preacher unit would be great, a dwarf that recites all the grudges your enemy has earned, giving your units to hit/wound buffs. Maybe a dwarven fort terrain piece, or mountain-goat cavalry.

The only other thing I could think of already exist (ironbreakers and longbeards).

Edited by Realmhead
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bladedwind said:

No, you are totally right. I was going to say something to extent, but i had to look over my kids for a bit.

1 hour ago, Realmhead said:

I'm with you on this, but would add 'grudges' to that. Yes, all dwarves hold grudges, but none like the dispossessed. 

Then I’ll add mining and craftsmanship as well. 

So My dream is still, heavily armoured dwarfs, think ironbraekers, irondrakes etc. Drop everything who wears a shirt. Add a mining unit as the new battle line. Again heavily armoured. A close range flamer shooting unit which usually clears hallways with flame, make it a double kit with maybe a long range ‘sniper’ kind of unit. No artillery, cause how often you doing that underground?

Keep the slow thing but Dispossessed only fight when they want to. So play wise; Lots of deep striking/mining options followed by a slow march if you need to reposition. Keeping with that theme: the allegiance ability should not be about being faster yourself but slowing the other down. So D3+1 cave in markers could be placed after set up. All blocking movement, maybe with a master miner as a character who lets you add another at turn two due to his excellent foresight and skill. 

Backed up with a grudge and rune system for traits and abilities and i’d Be a very happy man. 

Only thing I’m missing would be a bigger centrepiece model. So maybe the rumoured clockwork golems could be good for that? 

• LOVE IT! 5

30 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Then I’ll add mining and craftsmanship as well. 

So My dream is still, heavily armoured dwarfs, think ironbraekers, irondrakes etc. Drop everything who wears a shirt. Add a mining unit as the new battle line. Again heavily armoured. A close range flamer shooting unit which usually clears hallways with flame, make it a double kit with maybe a long range ‘sniper’ kind of unit. No artillery, cause how often you doing that underground?

Keep the slow thing but Dispossessed only fight when they want to. So play wise; Lots of deep striking/mining options followed by a slow march if you need to reposition. Keeping with that theme: the allegiance ability should not be about being faster yourself but slowing the other down. So D3+1 cave in markers could be placed after set up. All blocking movement, maybe with a master miner as a character who lets you add another at turn two due to his excellent foresight and skill. 

Backed up with a grudge and rune system for traits and abilities and i’d Be a very happy man. 

Only thing I’m missing would be a bigger centrepiece model. So maybe the rumoured clockwork golems could be good for that? 

Take my money. Take it all!

My throng has grown a lot since Christmas but any releases like this would be instant buys too. I really hope a tome we get would include lots of this emphasis on the underground, tunnelling nature of old school dawi. 

The lore on Dispossessed mentions them tearing down and rebuilding cities with superior building and engineering, but since miner units aren't a thing anymore we have nothing on the tabletop currently which shows this side of the faction. 

A while ago someone on this thread mentioned something about some kind of landmine idea. This fits well with the 'blocking'/slow you down, ideas to get around our slow movement. Really hope they go down this road soon!

• Like 2

As others have said before, a focus on mining/craftsmanship and traditions seems likely. 

Rune crafting seems also likely, as no other duardin factions makes much use of them at the moment. 

I could see GW making a new re-designed miners set with pickaxes, bombs and special weapons, new rune smith heroes, a grudge-keeper hero (carrying the clans book of grudges into battle) and maybe a giant stone golem as a center piece model. 

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

3 hours ago, Gecktron said:

As others have said before, a focus on mining/craftsmanship and traditions seems likely. 

Rune crafting seems also likely, as no other duardin factions makes much use of them at the moment. 

I could see GW making a new re-designed miners set with pickaxes, bombs and special weapons, new rune smith heroes, a grudge-keeper hero (carrying the clans book of grudges into battle) and maybe a giant stone golem as a center piece model. 

Oh yeah, that'd do nicely. Everything you just said *kisses fingertips* i REALLY want the rune golems!