AoS 2 - Dispossessed Discussion

Chris Tomlin

7 hours ago, Bolgan said:

Your list doesn't look too bad. I prefer to bring fewer but bigger units. They're pretty good at ignoring battleshock, you keep your 20+ models bonus longer and you get more models for the same points. That said, I lost every game when I started dispossessed. I eventually got better, but a few things stand out: 1) Get a unit of 20 irondrakes and use the pickaxe with them, 2) Don't run or charge unless you have to because you need that armour save re-roll and 3) You don't have to table them, you need to hold just enough objectives and then grab the tiebreaker with a pickaxing unit.

@Ironbreaker That's it!  Dispossessed are, by no means, an high tier army but you can surely snipe some victory here and there; our duardins need a tons of practice, tho.   At 1000 points wounds on the table are very important, now, i'm not teling you to bring 200 warriors but the Gyrobombers dosn't fit the list and Irondrakes shines in 20-30 unit size <at 1000 point 20 chaps, i guess>.
Try proxy some units and let us know, I bet that many of us have gone through what you are going through now!

I'll also add that at 1000pts, it's hard to have units at full capacity.

Dispossessed have a lot of units with buff IF it's a 20-30 units size. So you must choose which one will be top-geared.

As an exemple, Quarrellers are incredibly insane at 30 sized, but don't even bother to bring only 10 of them. And against heavily armored opponents.

That said, what is the list of your friend ?

We could see what you should focus on and how.

Also, don't forget the Unforged if you're playing against a Chaos player. He's weak, but he sure can hit against them if you manage to bring him in combat.

That's the kind of sneaky blade you can shove in your opponent *ss if he's not paying attention.

And @Furuzzolo here made a nice combo with it. ;)

• LOVE IT! 1

Yeah at 1000 points it’s all about the number of guys on the board, you have the gyro, organ gun, and ironbreakers, all of which I would not take at 1000 points.

I would bring 

Warden King

Runelord

40 warriors

30 quarellers/thunderers

10 longbeards

With this you can stack the runelords -1 rend on a unit, the longbeards reroll 1s to wound, and the Warden king’s ability of +1 to wound, essentially wiping out a big unit of your choice in one turn. 

3 hours ago, Ragnar Alpaca said:

Yeah at 1000 points it’s all about the number of guys on the board, you have the gyro, organ gun, and ironbreakers, all of which I would not take at 1000 points.

I would bring 

Warden King

Runelord

40 warriors

30 quarellers/thunderers

10 longbeards

With this you can stack the runelords -1 rend on a unit, the longbeards reroll 1s to wound, and the Warden king’s ability of +1 to wound, essentially wiping out a big unit of your choice in one turn. 

This! AoS is all about control of the battlefield. Dwarfs are slow but can have many bodies that are necessary. 

Focus in the objectives and see killing troops just as one way of getting them but not the only one.

19 hours ago, Ironbreaker said:

How do I even play this army? 

Allegiance: Dispossessed
Warden King (120)
- General
- Trait: Resolute 
Runelord (100)
- Artefact: Ancestral Pickaxe 
20 x Warriors (160)
- Double-handed Duardin Axes & Shields
10 x Longbeards (100)
- Great Axes & Shields
10 x Ironbreakers (140)
10 x Irondrakes (180)
Organ Gun (120)
- Allies
Gyrobombers (80)
- Allies

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 200 / 200
Wounds: 69

I think we all feel you on this!  I’ve been in the same situation, many times, still haven’t pulled off a win in a while but getting closer.  1,000 points is hard and there’s a lot of bad matchups and there’s not much room for error, but I feel it is possible, and maybe try to set expectations as underdog for yourself and if you pull off a win then it is all the sweeter.  

Tip on focusing on objectives is right on. 

Seeing what your opponent plays can help us with more tips.

Since your opponent has won so many times, hopefully he’ll be cool with you picking a mission that gives you a better chance (a lot can vary by mission). Hopefully will also be cool with you doing some “counts as” mods to experiment with (see below).

Knowing what other models you have available can help us with ideas too (discouraging to think about buying and painting a whole bunch of new stuff when already discouraged).  I’m suggesting some ideas below working with most the models in your current list:

Reitrating what others have said:

- drop the organ gun (I know, I have 3, so sad artillery rules for duardin and engineer are crappy currently- and hard at 1k anyway and without engineer). 

- drakes need to be 20 models and pickaxed.  Put the iron breakers in with them as “counts as” for next game, or can confidently get 10 more drake models as they are super solid and will always want to use 20.

- if opponent has a hoard unit, use bomber as a copter, otherwise drop it.  

So, with your 80 or 160 points left, take 10 or 20 more warriors, assuming you have the models. I’d say make the current unit 30 models, and if you dropped the copter too then another unit of 10 or maybe boost the one unit to 40 (but then have 40 pts left unfortunately - I think at small points the second unit is more flexible to cover flank or hold objective). 

If you don’t have more warriors (or any other units for more bodies and wounds), then I like the idea of Unforged/slayer against chaos too. Give him the pick axe to go with the drakes. Maybe he gets his 9” charge off, but also you don’t lose a round of Runelord’s buffing.  But at 100 points he doesn’t quite fit with the 80 points you have left if you keep the copter, and if you drop the copter then you have 160 to use but minus 100 for Unforged leaves you an awkward 60 pts left for command point and triumph (not sure if command point and triumph worth it at 1k pts but  if you don’t have any other models the command point would help with a reroll charge on the unforged so it makes sense).

• Like 1

@Arkanaut Admiral @Dammaz @DrDemento

Here is what my friend played last game. I don't remember the items or abilities he had.

Allegiance: Chaos
Chaos Dragon (340)
Exalted Hero Of Chaos (80)
- General
Bloodsecrator (140)
20 x Chaos Marauders (120)
- Flails
- Mark of Chaos: Khorne
20 x Bloodreavers (140)
- Reaver Blades
Chaos Gargant (180)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 72

He has changed army comp every game we have played. First game he had Blades of Khorne, Second he had Khorne Daemons, now he is running the list above. I had an easier time with the demons, but the summoning is brutal. The better I did, the worst off I was. long term.  Last game was the first time we played a game with objectives. Most of the terrain was in my territory so I had a hard time with deployment. One thing that also causes me trouble is that I forget to shield wall with my units. I am very new to the hobby and game so I have trouble remembering the rules. I am glad the person I play with is patient with me. The list I am playing are the only models I own besides a Knight Incantor, Lord Ordinator, Battle Mage, and a Cog Smith. I don't really have the money to be buying tons of models to experiment with.

Ok against that army it’s not that bad honestly. His whole gimmick to that list is getting lots of attacks with the bloodreavers and marauders, so easy, take a unit of 30 quarrellers runelord buff them, and use the Warden king’s ability against one of these units, probably the blood reavers. 30 quarrellers shooting at them is 60 shots at 4+ 3+ -1 1 damage. That should easily kill the unit or effectively make it worthless in one turn, next turn repeat with the marauders. The gargant and dragon would then be the only two real threats on the board. Deal with them as you please. 

5 hours ago, Ironbreaker said:

The list I am playing are the only models I own besides a Knight Incantor, Lord Ordinator, Battle Mage, and a Cog Smith. I don't really have the money to be buying tons of models to experiment with.

How about this list?

Warden King

Runelord

Knight Incantor

20 Warriors

10 Longbeards

20 Irondrakes (proxy 10 of them)

980/1000

• LOVE IT! 1

8 hours ago, Ironbreaker said:

.  Last game was the first time we played a game with objectives. Most of the terrain was in my territory so I had a hard time with deployment. One thing that also causes me trouble is that I forget to shield wall with my units. I am very new to the hobby and game so I have trouble remembering the rules. I am glad the person I play with is patient with me. The list I am playing are the only models I own besides a Knight Incantor, Lord Ordinator, Battle Mage, and a Cog Smith. I don't really have the money to be buying tons of models to experiment with

Okay first off, never play a game without some objectives again. We are just not a kill them all army. ?

secondly make a cheat list. Just a list off all choices you have/can make in the different phases and check it before every phase. Like shield wall :) 

thirdly: I’m with @DrDemento on just playing some count as things to give them a try. I’m personally a big big fan of 20 man units of hammerers. Give them a go but using a unit of warriors as count as.

Lastly: I personally do occasionally still bring 10 man squads of warriors as screens. But my last few games I’ve been leaning towards more elite vs cheap bodies. The truth will probably somewhere in the middle. 

• Like 1

Hello fellow Dwarfs,

I'm still considering how to field a 1250 point Order/Dwarf list and was hoping for some advice on the following ideas:

My first idea is a Greywater Fastness Army:

Runelord
Celestial Hurricanum with Battlemage (Manned by Dwarfs)
30 Ironbreakers
10 Longbeards GW+Shield
10 Longbeards GW+Shield
Celestar Ballista (Dwarf Iron Hills Ballista)
Celestar Ballista  (Dwarf Iron Hills Ballista)

Plan is to keep everything inside the +1 to hit bubble. Hurricanum is protected by the Ironbreakers (which can be buffed by the Runelord and 10 Longbeards to give them hitting power) Ballistas are screened by the other 10 Longbeards. Basically, the Hurricanum kicks out MW's and the Ballistas offer a long range threat. Everything slowly advances keeping Shield Wall up and if they bother charging the Ironbreakers then the counter-strike should be significant.

My issue with the list is it's very slow and compact. I will never reach objectives on the other side of the table, but hope to win central objectives late game. We only play on 4x4 tables, which should mitigate some of the movement issues. Thoughts?

Second idea is basically to replace the hurricanum and the Ballistas with Stormcast Cavalry to offer better movement/hammer options.
Tempest's Eye Army:

Runelord
Lord Arcanum on Dracoline (Scibor Dwarf bear Cav!)
30 Ironbreakers
10 LB
10 LB
Evocators on Dracolines (Scibor Dwarf bear Cav!)

Pretty straight forward Hammer and Anvil approach. Ironbreakers advance slowly up the center supported by the Runelord & 10 Longbeards. 10 Longbeards hang back on a home objective and the Dracolines charge forward to attack supported by the LA.

Not sure if Evocators are the best SC heavy cav option...

Thanks for any advice, ideas etc.

Pete

Edited by pforson
spelling

11 hours ago, Bolgan said:

How about this list?

Warden King

Runelord

Knight Incantor

20 Warriors

10 Longbeards

20 Irondrakes (proxy 10 of them)

980/1000

11 hours ago, Bolgan said:

17 hours ago, Ironbreaker said:

The list I am playing are the only models I own besides a Knight Incantor, Lord Ordinator, Battle Mage, and a Cog Smith. I don't really have the money to be buying tons of models to experiment with.

Yep, Knight Incantor is definitely the best choice given the models you have, and this is the list I would play too.  The knights auto unbind is a great disruptor (assuming he takes a caster), but the spirit flask mortal wounds for an epic defense of your duardin objective holding bodies should be great.  

Maybe pickup a 20 pt endless spell (swords or shackles) for the incantor but the triumph is good too.  The swords against chaos are awesome - 12 x 5+ mortal wound shots.  If can’t borrow one to try out could model one up with some axe bits you might have. 

And like @Kramer said, play the objectives. Killing the dragon and gargant will be daunting, take out his bodies to lower his chances of claiming objectives.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Bring a Cannon! You outrange his cannon and melt his infantry ;) (bring 2..)

Cheaps bodies in warriors, shooting to take out heroes and cannons.... Skaven, right now, have very little to work with, in terms of tricks! Bewere the verminlod deceiver (the ninja one), his spell is scary!

(As @Kramer said you should drop some insight on the skaven list for detailed tips...)

Edited by Furuzzolo
  • Like 1

Welp, I finished my game against Skaven and I really feel like I want to throw my Dispossessed in the trash now. I have never felt this much rage before. 

Here is the list he ran.
Allegiance: Chaos
Verminlord Warpseer (260)
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Spear
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Spear
1 x Warpfire Thrower Weapon Team (70)
1 x Poisoned Wind Mortar Weapon Team (60)
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)

Total: 930 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 21
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 84

And here the list I ran.
Allegiance: Dispossessed
- Grudge: Cowardly Hordes
Warden King (120)
- General
- Trait: Resolute 
Runelord (100)
- Artefact: Ancestral Pickaxe 
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Allies
20 x Warriors (160)
- Double-handed Duardin Axes & Shields
10 x Longbeards (100)
- Great Axes & Shields
10 x Ironbreakers (140)
10 x Irondrakes (180)

Total: 940 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 21
Allies: 140 / 400
Wounds: 65

He would never advance with his troops. He stayed back and sniped at me with mortal wounds while I waddled my army slowly across the table. Half my army was dead by the time I got to the point where he started charging forward. The terrain was in such a way that my army was split up around buildings.  His Warpseerer kept spawning giant rats every turn. I was too far away to do anything about them, so by the time I got close to his army, he had nearly his entire side filled with giant rats. I never got a chance to pickax because I could never find in opening and also because he obliterated my Irondrakes with his spells. I am honestly so extremely pissed that artillery is not considered Dispossessed. I need long-range support, but it is so expensive as an ally. I just want to win ONE DAMN GAME! I am thinking of starting Legions of Nagash just so I can be competitive in the meta. As much as I love my Dwarfs, their status in Age of Sigmar makes me want to just trash them. It makes me even more mad that Dispossessed will likely never get a battletome. It's all so tiresome.

You are very angry, I know the feeling, we all do.

Now, if you want to play Dispossessed with this mindset change army; if you want to learn the duardin way (and the game) stick with them but ask yourself "what can I do to win?" Not "what my army should do/be to win?". We're tier 1.5 but we can play with tier 1 and sometimes win. You played a same tier list in ONE game and you..want to change army? One game? Man up, beardling...

1) You ask for tips, ignore them and then complain (yes, not going soft with you ;) ). What was your army supposed to do? What was the plan? His army wanted to zone you with ranged snipe protected by horde..you can play this game better. You wanted to... Pickaxe 10 longbeards? 

You do not fight magic with the Incantor, you fight magic with Runelords. 

A well placed cannon would have done miracles vs. this filthy skaven!

If you want to be competitive at 1000 you cannot go Elite. Play it proxy if they let you but ironbreakers become warriors and irondrakes thunderers or quarrelers. Again, you can play his list but with better units. 

His army has a flat 6+ save, only the warpseer goes to 4+, the runelords rune should only be 6+ wound extrasave, no need for rend:

Runelord. General, horde grudge

Runelord

30 warriors 2h+shield

20 warriors 2h+shield

Cannon

20 thunderers

. Cannon placement is key, here. I'm not saying that you auto-win with my list but it looks, to me, better equipped for a 1000 points game. 

Cheer up and have faith in your Dispossessed! 

Edited by Furuzzolo
  • Like 2

Cheer up, Dawi, I know the feeling too.

That reminds me of the game in 1v1v1 where my opponents did all the game in a corner, letting me hanging alone and slowly moving to them... That was... fun. ><

@Furuzzolo here made quite a good synthesis. In your case, Thunderers or Quarrelers would have done miracles I think.

20 Quarrelers, put them in Shield Wall and starts shooting while you advance. That's 40 shots screening your movement in a range of 20" and we don't care for Rend in that case. Serious threat for your opponent, Recommend. Your Quarrelers are as tanky as your fellows Warriors, remember that. ;)

In the meantime, Pickaxe 30 sturdy warriors in their back or flank. 2nd serious threat. 

If you manage to place your 1 or 2 cannons in a good firing position, that's the 3rd serious threat. I'll add that if you manage to squeeze a little Gunmaster with it in your list, Grungni may be pleased, be prepared to see flying rats everywhere. Your 1 or 2 cannons will obliterate everything within 32" range.

Don't be sad because you lost a game. Dispossessed are slow, it's true. Sometimes it will be hard to get to your opponent, sometimes you will not be in a good position. Placement and tactics are crucial with our fellow duardins. But don't give up. Learn from mistakes and see what works and what doesn't. 

And for now on, you got a reason to place a grudge on those ratty-rats-rats. Next time, you'll make them pay for this insult, don't you ?

Edited by Dammaz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What @Furuzzolo and @Dammaz said. 

Are we slow ?  Yes.  Do we have mobility ? No.

So what CAN we do ? We can have a long range threat in order to make him come to us while we procceed to him.

I do the same in the 2000p battles. Never leaving home without 2cannons + gunmaster as allies.  That way I don't really mind him not coming close while I proceed. I have 4shots 4+ rerollable, 2+ with -2 rend for d6 damage at 32+4 = 36" threat range. I pretty much outrange the vast majority of things. 3d6 *because that's what usually happens after rerolls unless he has 3+ save in which case he can also save one at 5+" is something no1 can really ignore.

Do the same in a smaller scale in 1000p. Take a cannon with ya * remember though : 1000p while fun is not the scale that the game has been made. Unlike 2000p there are indeed armies that just dominate the rest since the points aren't enough to combine enough synergies of "weaker" scrolls that shine through cooperation while other armies have some units that work on their own and thus dominate the rest *example : my 1000p Seraphon can't do anything against  a SCE list made of Dracoths. Can't stack enough synergies at 1000p in order to damage their 3+ rerollable (2+ with staunch defender ey) and the magic damage is not enough as well.

Besides playing at 1000p though, the most useful thing you can do after a losing a fight is this : think what went wrong strategically and what can be done better next time ! There will be indeed many times that the most updated armies will  have an edge over you but this is something that won't be changed through us. What can be changed though, is us understanding our army better and becoming stronger generals ! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Ironbreaker said:

I am thinking of starting Legions of Nagash just so I can be competitive in the meta.

? I’ve done the same.  And that’s the warhammer way and GW’s sales model, which we might complain about but also love.  Have two or three armies that you can cycle through as meta shifts, and keep your hobby side going.  My moonclan are getting ready to get back on the table, and still painting up undead.

Anyway, I’ve learned a lot playing dispossessed because they are a so challenging.  Number one is measure measure measure!!!  Opponents threat ranges, my threat ranges.  

Your drakes should never have been in a position to get shot with spells or anything before they get their pickaxe alpha shot.  Put those damn breakers in with them as counts as.  Deploy them way in your back field, behind one of those annoying buildings.  Turn one take off table, turn two pop them out and blast the verminlord (or whatever lynchpin unit he brings next time) and try to charge if you need to finish him off.

This is no longer a game of lining up your blocks of troops and marching towards your mutual destruction and seeing who manages to win the attrition odds battle.

Also, as much as I love them, I can’t recommend artillery because it is so easy to kills the crew, but the tips are right in terms of keeping them as far back as possible and boosting with engineers and ordinator.

Who and how is terrain setting up?Sounds problematic...

A few final thoughts if you really don’t want to count the breakers as drakes.  Try a 1500 pt game and bring your artillery x 2 with cogsmith and ordinator, and get the endless spell swords for your Incantor!!!.  You’ll need to play GA Order with Tempest Eye from Firestorm but the extra first turn 2” move (4” for your copter) and +1 save might suit your penchant for marching lines forward.

10 hours ago, DrDemento said:

Who and how is terrain setting up?Sounds problematic...

We had a third guy set up the terrain. The area near my territory was littered with choke points forcing me to either funnel my army slowly through them while being bombarded with a mortal wound gunline or split up and go around the terrain while being bombarded with mortal wounds.  It was roughly set up like this with the green being my deployment zone. 

terrain.jpg

3 hours ago, Ironbreaker said:

We had a third guy set up the terrain. The area near my territory was littered with choke points forcing me to either funnel my army slowly through them while being bombarded with a mortal wound gunline or split up and go around the terrain while being bombarded with mortal wounds.  It was roughly set up like this with the green being my deployment zone. 

terrain.jpg

What was the scenario?  Some are hard than others.

On 10/29/2018 at 2:39 PM, pforson said:

Hello fellow Dwarfs,

I'm still considering how to field a 1250 point Order/Dwarf list and was hoping for some advice on the following ideas:

My first idea is a Greywater Fastness Army:

Runelord
Celestial Hurricanum with Battlemage (Manned by Dwarfs)
30 Ironbreakers
10 Longbeards GW+Shield
10 Longbeards GW+Shield
Celestar Ballista (Dwarf Iron Hills Ballista)
Celestar Ballista  (Dwarf Iron Hills Ballista)

Plan is to keep everything inside the +1 to hit bubble. Hurricanum is protected by the Ironbreakers (which can be buffed by the Runelord and 10 Longbeards to give them hitting power) Ballistas are screened by the other 10 Longbeards. Basically, the Hurricanum kicks out MW's and the Ballistas offer a long range threat. Everything slowly advances keeping Shield Wall up and if they bother charging the Ironbreakers then the counter-strike should be significant.

My issue with the list is it's very slow and compact. I will never reach objectives on the other side of the table, but hope to win central objectives late game. We only play on 4x4 tables, which should mitigate some of the movement issues. Thoughts?

Second idea is basically to replace the hurricanum and the Ballistas with Stormcast Cavalry to offer better movement/hammer options.
Tempest's Eye Army:

Runelord
Lord Arcanum on Dracoline (Scibor Dwarf bear Cav!)
30 Ironbreakers
10 LB
10 LB
Evocators on Dracolines (Scibor Dwarf bear Cav!)

Pretty straight forward Hammer and Anvil approach. Ironbreakers advance slowly up the center supported by the Runelord & 10 Longbeards. 10 Longbeards hang back on a home objective and the Dracolines charge forward to attack supported by the LA.

Not sure if Evocators are the best SC heavy cav option...

Thanks for any advice, ideas etc.

Pete

Anyone? Anyone?

anyone-anyone.jpg

2 hours ago, pforson said:

Anyone? Anyone?

I love all the dwarf modded stand ins!  I'm always concerned about elite units (breakers and hurricanum) in smaller points games and being able to cover/threaten objectives and enemy units,  but playing on 4x4 as you said, mitigates the issue to some degree.  Also not sure Greywater Fastness will play out well at low points with your two or three warmachines (6+ to get extra shot, and I'm still not clear if you roll once for each war machine or one roll per turn).  Certainly sounds like a fun list to try.  

Also, as @Ironbreaker has been experiencing, "advancing slowly up the board" does not play out well in AoS.   Therefore, I like the Tempest Eye list for flexibility, and maybe even tradeout some of the ironbreakers for a ballista or two.  

• Like 1